• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lulubop

So I'm really starting to find team comp on the PS4 is pretty broken in competitive. You must have a Hanzo and D.Va for their ults ability to clear, lucio the best support and junkrat for non line of sight damage. That is four slots gone, one has to be a tank, normally reinhardt, and that leaves you one spot for another damage dealer or second support. Probably best served by a McCre, Bastion or Zenyatta. They need to make more characters viable.

Bastion, Honzo? Even Junkrat being must pick is what

Copenap

So I'm really starting to find team comp on the PS4 is pretty broken in competitive. You must have a Hanzo and D.Va for their ults ability to clear, lucio the best support and junkrat for non line of sight damage. That is four slots gone, one has to be a tank, normally reinhardt, and that leaves you one spot for another damage dealer or second support. Probably best served by a McCre, Bastion or Zenyatta. They need to make more characters viable.
What the hell am I reading?

duckroll

I had an Anubis game earlier in Quick Play against the weirdest team. We were on attack. I was a Junkrat, we had a Dva, Tracer, and Lucio in our group. One of the pubs was a Hanzo. We blitzed them on the left flank with the Dva, and took Point A really quick, but noticed they had like... 2 Reinhardts? Weird. Anyway we rushed to Point B, I died to a Reaper while flanking right but the Reaper died to my death explosion. Before I could return to the point we won the game.

Play of the Game was the Hanzo, but it wasn't an Ult. He covered the right flank after I died, waited for the enemies to be sandwiched and took out two up close, turned around and shot another one rushing back to the point in the head.

Then... we were on Defense.... and.... they used.... 5 Reinhardts to dash right through at the start and took Point A by brute force. ?????????????

We switched to two Junkrats and 2 Dvas. With a Lucio and the Hanzo. Held them off easily, and by the end they had 3 Reinhardts, a McCree, a Genji, and a Zenyatta. It was totally random and hilarious.

Play of the Game was Hanzo again, again without an Ult. He moved out of the point area to get to the building behind, hid in a corner and got a bunch of headshots off the stupid team marching mindlessly towards the gate while they were getting bombed.

I really liked the Hanzo (and he was on the other team in the next game and they destroyed us), but I can't believe what the other team was doing. Who the hell stacks Reinhardts????

Hanzo? Bastion? Junkrat? What game are you playing. You have to be in rank 20 hell for those to be the best heroes.

How are any of these more viable than Roadhog, Zarya, Tracer, Genji, etc. I could literally name almost every other character and they're more viable.

What rank are you? And are you sure you aren't playing Battleborn?

i and a POT G earlier which was literally just me killing a rapper
that was it

and then i was just standing there doing nothing for the rest of the 5 seconds

#impact

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
i and a POT G earlier which was literally just me killing a rapper
that was it

and then i was just standing there doing nothing for the rest of the 5 seconds

#impact

Do you ever spell-check before you post?

Ramirez

The guy everyone quoted is a rank 40. I'm not being rude, but it is truly fascinating how different the game is at every level. Probably why Blizzard will never buff people like Bastion/Mei, lol.

LiK

Just found out TSM dropped code7 as their overwatch squad over past hacking. Good on them.

hah good

The guy everyone quoted is a rank 40. I'm not being rude, but it is truly fascinating how different the game is at every level. Probably why Blizzard will never buff people like Bastion/Mei, lol.

i cannot imagine why anyone thinks Mei needs a buff. already strong altho thankfully i don't see her often in Comp. and it seems anyone who plays her is not their main cuz she's pretty easy to kill from my recent games.

Veelk

Banned
don't care what that guy thinks. he's my main and i love him.

I think there is a certain extra perk of maining a character that isn't considered top tier. Aside from fulfilling a unique role on the team, there comes a certain perk from bringing something unique to the table by playing a character most people underestimate. I love the changes made to D.Va, but I can't help but miss the times I would surprise my team with clever plays before her buff made her a popular pick.

I think Junkrat and Hanzo are easily viable characters in the right hands. The perks of defense heroes is that what they trade in mobility, they get back in power. It's hard to get insta-kill damage off offense heroes like Genji and Tracer, but good Hanzo and Junkrat make it work. If a Hanzo can get headshots consistently (or even just shots) and combines it with good use of scattershot, he's doing a LOT of team damage. His wallhack perk helps too.

Unfortunately, no matter how hard I try to be good as Widowmaker, her toolkit legitimately just sucks too hard to be useful unless you have inhumanely good aiming.

Prelude.

I don't know about consoles but Hanzo is a joke probably starting from rank 10.

duckroll

Trying to imagine a Comp game against a team made up of Hanzo, Dva, Lucio, Junkrat, Reinhardt, and Bastion. I think most people would love to face up against a team like that. Lol.

LiK

I think there is a certain extra perk of maining a character that isn't considered top tier. Aside from fulfilling a unique role on the team, there comes a certain perk from bringing something unique to the table by playing a character most people underestimate. I love the changes made to D.Va, but I can't help but miss the times I would surprise my team with clever plays before her buff made her a popular pick.

I think Junkrat and Hanzo are easily viable characters in the right hands. The perks of defense heroes is that what they trade in mobility, they get back in power. It's hard to get insta-kill damage off offense heroes like Genji and Tracer, but good Hanzo and Junkrat make it work. If a Hanzo can get headshots consistently (or even just shots), he's doing a LOT of team damage. .

Unfortunately, no matter how hard I try to be good as Widowmaker, her toolkit legitimately just sucks too hard to be useful unless you have inhumanely good aiming.

Excellent point. I think sometimes an enemy team might be wondering why a Junkrat keeps showing up in Attack and learn it the hard way, hoho

Ricky 7

I've been using Zenyatta a bit and he seems too strong. He literally eliminates the tank status and makes every other character get 1 shotted. They might have to lower the Discord Orb down to 25% damage increase.

Kyrios

I've been using Zenyatta a bit and he seems too strong. He literally eliminates the tank status and makes every other character get 1 shotted. They might have to lower the Discord Orb down to 25% damage increase.

My friends and I were getting wrecked by Discord Orbs all last night.

Play Comp
Checks teamates picks
Friendly picks Widowmaker
Level 210

Me trying the positive person i am: hey he might be good

Does nothing but snipe outside the point for 3/4 of the match before switching to Soldier 76.

dOXWieG.gif

Why are people like this

I had someone like this in my other game. He was like 57 and level 150. He picks Widowmaker, everyone on our team starts to tell him WM isn't that good for this map and he should probably pick someone else. He argues and ofc doesn't switch. We lost (that's nothing new) and he was a pretty horrible WM on top of it. So I check his stats after the game. He had 42 hours of comp play with WM and his next closest was like at 2 hours. lol

Prelude.

Oh and now that Junkrat is considered the only viable defense hero I keep getting one in every single game. The "pros" are ruining the game.
30% might be more likely. It'd put him in line with the Mercy boost.

LiK

My friends and I were getting wrecked by Discord Orbs all last night.

I had a Zen hit me with Discord and kill me with one charged shot. I couldnt even see him cuz he was always hiding behind Reinhardt shield. That was annoying.

Kyrios

I had a Zen hit me with Discord and kill me with one charged shot. I couldnt even see him cuz he was always hiding behind Reinhardt shield. That was annoying.

Geez, that was literally the story of my life last night. He's probably the scariest support to me.

duckroll

Zenyatta as he is now is a very effective barometer of how well a team works together. If you see an enemy Zenyatta and you can approach within his vision without getting killed instantly, you know that the team isn't super coordinated. If you find yourself in discord hell immediately, then you know that they're working pretty well together with at least 1-2 other players knowing how to take advantage of the Zenyatta.

LiK

Zen charge can kill with it anyways, it's 200-400 (based on headshots)

It was a bit BS cuz I was watching his kill cam and you could barely see me though all the other insanity. Maybe he was just shooting into the crowd and hoping for a kill. Which he got.

Geez, that was literally the story of my life last night. He's probably the scariest support to me.

Happened to me 3 times in one match. Thankfully, we still won.

duckroll

It was a bit BS cuz I was watching his kill cam and you could barely see me though all the other insanity. Maybe he was just shooting into the crowd and hoping for a kill. Which he got.

He doesn't need to see you. Discord isn't just a debuff, it's also a target marker for the entire team.

Kyrios

Zenyatta as he is now is a very effective barometer of how well a team works together. If you see an enemy Zenyatta and you can approach within his vision without getting killed instantly, you know that the team isn't super coordinated. If you find yourself in discord hell immediately, then you know that they're working pretty well together with at least 1-2 other players knowing how to take advantage of the Zenyatta.

That really is an excellent way of putting it, I usually prefer one of my friends to play as Zenyatta because I usually stick around him, so I'm dishing out damage like no tomorrow. But I noticed if someone else is playing as Zen and kinda does his own thing it gets bad.

LiK

He doesn't need to see you. Discord isn't just a debuff, it's also a target marker for the entire team.

True...

I love hunting Zens down especially when I take him out with a tire.

Seagull was talking about the Genji balance stuff on stream for a second. Had some not so nice things to say about Zen/Lucio/McCree.

What did Sea Dad say about Those 3?

Reminder Zen/Lucio will probably be nerfed considering how unbalanced the meta is.

Symmetra and Defensive Heroes Meta Soon ™, Instead of us constantly finishing maps, we'll fight tooth and nail just to get past the 1st chokepoint.
1x

Ramirez

I was stuck playing support last night, and man, is it just not fun when there's a good Genji on the other team. He was on my balls all match and it felt like I died to the sword 5-6 times. We even had a Winston on our team, but Genji was just running wild all match.

The Discord marker is not visible for anybody but Zenyatta, though. The only thing teammates see is the purple particles on the targeted enemy. At worst, Zenyatta can relay the information of the target marker to his teammates, but the orb is on the target for 3 seconds before returning, once they leave Zenyatta's line of sight.

cyborg009

Banned
Winston needs a buff every time I get my ultimate I feel like I just became a big target instead.

I would love for a HP boost to 1500.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Had a comp game where I had 4 gold and a bronze in healing as Reaper and 1 minute into our turn on Attacking the server closed "due to unexpected error." Upsetting, but I was able to take screens of everyone frozen in time before it brought me to the menu.

Owzers

are Winstons so hated that people won't use him even when there are two genjis, a reinhardt, and an Ana on the enemy team? This is why i don't like playing support sometimes, if i switch no one will switch to support and of course we lose.

Ricky 7

Yeah true, also I play Genji and whenever I flank the enemy team the well coordinated teams always have a McCree, Zarya or Reinhardt protecting their Zenyatta too so it makes it that more difficult taking him out.

Anne

What did Sea Dad say about Those 3?

More or less what I've been saying. Speed boost has always been crazy, Zen having 50% discord is crazy, McCree being able to one shot people right now is pretty crazy. He wants all that craziness to not be in the game.

Gaz_RB

Winston needs a buff every time I get my ultimate I feel like I just became a big target instead.

I would love for a HP boost to 1500.

Giving him a buff would make him unstoppable.

The ultimate is all about timing. It's about disruption and its about distraction. Use it to initiate and spread apart a defensive line while your team mops up instead of assuming you should be using it for kills. The dude can leap out of danger with almost no cooldown--he's definitely not in need of a buff. He dies quickly to tank busters but can mitigate a ton of damage with shield+jump. If anything Winston is currently the most balanced character in OW.

are Winstons so hated that people won't use him even when there are two genjis, a reinhardt, and an Ana on the enemy team? This is why i don't like playing support sometimes, if i switch no one will switch to support and of course we lose.

Winston is crazy underplayed in the games I've been in. He's so useful in almost every situation but no one takes the time to learn him because at first glance his DPS is so low.

KiraFA37

I didn't know what to expect.

I said the same when yesterday we went with 4 tracers and 2 zenyatta's on Hollywood... it worked surprisingly well.

In other news I'm thinking of stopping with competitive for now, I'm just stuck in low 40s hell and can't seem to get out.

duckroll

Sometimes people just have no interest in playing as a team. We had a random on attack Numbani today who was playing an Ana. I was playing Winston and our only tank. So after a while when it was clear we couldn't break through because we weren't getting enough heals, and I asked for Ana to switch out. He switched to..... Tracer. We already had a Tracer on the team. I pointed out that we needed more heals, not another Tracer, and he was like "So you switch." Okay... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom