• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
If PS4, you hit the pad. Don't know about the bone.

Noob question: Is there any way to see what characters both teams are playing on console?

Optimus is correct. Also it takes a few seconds at the beginning of a match to see who your opponents are playing. I'm not sure if it's based on any line-of-sight updating from your teammates or what, but you won't know during the prep phase.

Nudull

Banned
image.php

I'm being polite. :p

LiK

Decided to go solo queue for one match and I end up with a group of 5 dudes and they were bad. Kept splitting up for no reason. Sigh. I got PotM for killing 3 guys and capturing a point. Yay....

Izayoi

Banned
Route 66... We score 3 with over four minutes to spare. They score 3 just barely (~3 seconds)... Overtime... We're defending.

Alucrid

Banned
i love when people get mad. dude kept talking about how zarya isn't using her projected barriers. end of game comes and they get a card for 38 barriers, i and four other people vote for that. dude goes off.

Ramirez

Once again, I question in what corner of Blizzard's universe that this is a fair matchup?

A much bigger problem I have though is that I'm subjected to playing with people way out of my skill range simply because they link up with their top 500 friend. We got destroyed, I outhealed the Lucio with no big Transcendence heal to speak of. Then, the top 500 guy on our team spams Thanks! from the end of round 1 until the game ended, when it's 2 of his friends that have no business being in the game.

I just don't get it. I'm not mad, I just laugh at these matchups at this point, because they happen so often to me. I just don't understand how stuff like this makes it through.

Gorillaz

The mid 50s is such a terrible ass void to be stuck in because it's filled with people who are decent enough to play but don't give a shit about team comp or a balanced team. Think I'm done with Comp at this point unless im doing team up shit. 5 levels in either direction is such a drastic change.The matchmaking for this game is so awful. Like I hope blizzard honestly reaches out to some FPS devs out there.

alright im done I think maybe sorta

psyfi

Banned
The mid 50s is such a terrible ass void to be stuck in because it's filled with people who are decent enough to play but don't give a shit about team comp or a balanced team. Think I'm done with Comp at this point unless im doing team up shit. 5 levels in either direction is such a drastic change.

The matchmaking for this game is so awful. Like I hope blizzard honestly reaches out to some FPS devs out there.

alright im done
Yeah, I gotta agree, I've seen a few other people say the same thing. I was having a blast in the high 50s and low 60s, but then I played with lower level friends for a while and got knocked down to 52, and my teammates seriously got so much stupider.

Kito

Reinhardts on defence are the worst. Do not charge in and die first on defence, that's how first point gets steamrolled...

The best Reinhardts imo, unless they have just respawned or ulted, use charge like Zen's orb volley: never.

LiK

i am seriously ticked off with Zens now. I ended up hunting down one of them over and over. Dude got pissed and only aimed for me afterwards, lol. Fucking Zen, I'm gonna hunt them all down in every game if I see them now.

that long road to the last point on route 66.

and holy shit is mccree just easy to take out people lol. them body shots gives out so much damage.

Crzy1

The best Reinhardts imo, unless they have just respawned or ulted, use charge like Zen's orb volley: never.
Eh, that's giving up a lot of what makes him powerful. The more you get kills from charging, the faster you build ult, think it's 50% per kill. Can totally destroy entire teams several times over in a match if you use your charge effectively. Charging, alone, into the entire enemy team is stupid, however.

Does anyone know the numbers on the lucio speed boost for payloads? Does it go faster when you use pump it up when three people are pushing instead of just lucio by himself?

MikeyB

Got this for PS4 last weekend on impulse. No regrets whatsoever. I am not great and only playing quick matches, but what a blast it has been getting to level 13.

So far, mostly Reinhardt, Bastion, Zenyata, Symmetra, and occasionally Pharah (sp.).

LiK

That sucks. Was looking forward to playing with you all tonight. Had great luck in the solo queue though.

yea, sorry, i had some wins with one Gaffer earlier and then when i joined a much larger group, it became much more of a struggle. not really sure why. then i tried solo for a match and ended up with a group of 5 guys who were steamrolled as Defense. that was enough for me for tonight.

I have no interest in NMS, I'll still be here. :p

wanna play some Comp tomorrow? i'll be on since i wanna try and reach 70 before deadline for fun.

Shouta

Eh, that's giving up a lot of what makes him powerful. The more you get kills from charging, the faster you build ult, think it's 50% per kill. Can totally destroy entire teams several times over in a match if you use your charge effectively. Charging, alone, into the entire enemy team is stupid, however.

Yep. Rein's shoulder charge is a really volatile tool. Most of the time, you either stomp the other team with it or you get stomped when you use it. Measured use of it helps out in the long run though despite that. The bigger issue is that, most of the time, your team doesn't know how to capitalize on the fact you charged at your enemy. They should be cleaning up folks that get scattered if they're coordinated but in most cases folks will just shoot at whatever and not be effective.

Defuser

OMFG.

My second time ever playing in a real match with Genji. Kings Row attack. Oh man. When Genji works. He WORKS! I definitely think I suck at him, but winning the match gives me so much more confidence to pick the character in future if it seems like we need it. My deflect timing needs a ton of work, but the feeling when you rush at a bunch of defending enemies, remember to hit deflect as you run right at them, then finish with a slash attack that kills 2-3 people and then just keep going. OMG. Getting the ult in a pinch and then getting a sound barrier right at the point on Overtime, killing people as they rush to the payload, then running up the wall to slash the Widowmaker on the side roof, watching the payload slide in the end and VICTORY pop up.

It's like a whole other game. Lol.
Join the dark side. Genji is too goooooooooooooood.

Veelk

Banned
I still cannot conceive how people can say that anything in QP qualifies as 'practice'.

Even all your doing is trying out your abilities, the way you use them in QP is not very applicable to how you use them in a serious match in the event that 3 people on your team are not playing 'seriously'. I just got railroaded by a fucking Torb stack. I don't even mean a team of torbs, 2 torbs, with a Reinhardt shielding them and a Zenyatta throwing shit at you, plus 2 others who were doing fuck all. I tried using Genji, but 'practice' or not, he's going to get shot down the moment he goes into the room. Not because he's not useful in that situation, but because the other players are doing fuck all. Soldier is peppering them with fire from far away while a mercy standy by upping his damage, as if that'll do anything. A D.Va is doing nothing of worth. A Widow is just sitting there, endlessly sniping the turrets that endlessly get rebuild. The only kind of push we had is when I decided to nuke them as D.Va from above, so the Reinshield wouldn't protect anyone, which you'd think would be my teammates cues to just take everything.

The only real practice mode is practice against the AI, because they'll atleast be doing what they can to beat the other team with the same competence that the other team is trying to beat them. Otherwise, Comp IS the practice with any particular character in tow, because that's the only place where people will not let the entire group fall to shambles

It's not like every team stacks heroes. It's either that or screw people in Ranked. It's the only option. That's how everyone here learned their favorite heroes, by playing QP, and that's how everyone is going to learn heroes.

Except AI don't play like real people. They don't move like real people. They don't aim like real people. AI is a terrible way to practice.

You don't need the perfect team comp to learn how to play a character. If that's the case, why bother learning Hanzo or Bastion when they are worthless?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yep. Rein's shoulder charge is a really volatile tool. Most of the time, you either stomp the other team with it or you get stomped when you use it. Measured use of it helps out in the long run though despite that. The bigger issue is that, most of the time, your team doesn't know how to capitalize on the fact you charged at your enemy. They should be cleaning up folks that get scattered if they're coordinated but in most cases folks will just shoot at whatever and not be effective.

But what if you charge in when there's only a lucio with you and everyone else is respawning?

These are the reinhardts I've been seeing.

rq3pkeK.jpg

Personal best, but like an idiot didn't take a screenshot of the actual medals screen (all gold minus healing obv). 14k damage. We worked the other team.

No_Style

so how dead is this thread gonna be tomorrow?

No interest in NMS at the moment so I'll be on struggling to collect 12 CP or rank 65.

Also, Internet died during competitive. Got back on after 2 min and still managed to win during Sudden Death but no CP or skill increase :(

In fact, I saw my Placement match results screen instead.

Veelk

Banned
It's not like every team stacks heroes. It's either that or screw people in Ranked. It's the only option. That's how everyone here learned their favorite heroes, by playing QP, and that's how everyone is going to learn heroes.

Except AI don't play like real people. They don't move like real people. They don't aim like real people. AI is a terrible way to practice.

It's not even the stacking the galled, but how much of an easy counter this could have been. One healer to give us extra live to take them out, one large fire ult from D.Va, one anything, and it would have been game over for them. But I think everyone had the same mentality: I'm not here to win, I just want to play character X. And as a result, we got screwed so hard that 'practice' is impossible because the opposing team is too clustered together. I mean, what are you going to do as Widow if you want to practice? Snipe from the same corner at the same turret over and over? Because that's what the widow did. Run and die? That's what our soldier learned. Resurrect people who instantly get killed by the cross fire? Our mercy learned that very well.

Ai may not play like real people, but it's better than this. But better than AI or QP would be a middle of the road sort of game mode that advocated experimentation and good strategy without the pressure of doing well for your rank. Which is what I've been preaching the whole damn time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom