• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
With how quick DVa can get her suit back, it kind of doesn't matter how quickly Zen murders her compared to Winston

Doesn't matter. Right now it's about who can murder zen faster. It's partially why genji and zarya is so big right now. Especially with zarya, her bubble buys Winston more time to murder zen.

I'm telling ya, discord really fucked with the meta.

I really wish they'd add an "I'm coming" bit of dialogue to that speech wheel thing. It's infuriating having people spam "I need healing" when both support heroes are dead (ESPECIALLY if they did sod all to protect them).

Blues1990

When I was playing a competitive match, a Genji (that was charged with Ana's ult) came out of the blue and activated his ult, only for me to hook 'em and blow him away with a shotgun blast to the head. Previously, the mentioned Genji player was constantly killed yours truly, and I was unintentionally causing him grief. The guy had lost his cool when I confronted him for the 19th time, and then raged quit when he returned to seek revenge for the 20th.

I honestly felt bad for him.

billeh

When I was playing a competitive match, a Genji (that was charged with Ana's ult) came out of the blue and activated his ult, only for me to hook 'em and blow him away with a shotgun blast to the head. Previously, the mentioned Genji player was constantly killed yours truly, and I was unintentionally causing him grief. The guy had lost his cool when I confronted him for the 19th time, and then raged quit when he returned to seek revenge for the 20th.

I honestly felt bad for him.
I honestly don't think I feel bad for anything in this game anymore. ESPECIALLY Genji.

12-4 the past couple days in comp and 17-6 with Zenyatta. Death is whimsical, today.

LiK

Had a fantastic team in comp on Volskaya, almost all on mic and very friendly. We steamrolled. Got 58 elims with Soldier and 3 gold medals, so much fun.

Next game is on Dorado with another team. Little communication, bad team comp. we get steamrolled. Right at the end one guy turns on his mic and starts abusing me, saying "You're fucking shit cunt" etc. I find this funny because I have gold medals. I say this and of course magically he has FIVE gold medals yet not even a card on the results screen, naturally.

People like that ruin the game for everyone.

I don't go into team chat at all anymore after just 3 matches with randoms using their mics to abuse people who aren't playing their way. The third strike was when some ass was bitching for healer so i switched to a Lucio and all he did was complain about stuff and making stupid grunting noises. I turned off auto-join afterwards.

I think if you have a pleasant experience with some people, make sure to add them since they're obviously playing at your time zone.

Between the garbage, self-aggrandizing /r/overwatch subreddit, the unanimously terrible Overwatch memes, and general online behavior, I'm convinced this is one of the worst communities out there.

The game is fun but the community is probably the worst I've experienced in 20 years of playing FPS games.

I've seen worse but i think Comp has singlehandedly made some people turn into elitist monsters.

Zenyatta salt out in force :p

Z8qRP4E.jpg

Im scared cause both Genji and Zen are my two mains i love playing

Auctopus

Seeing as we're talking about Zenyatta, I should mention that in QP the other day I played as King's Row Attack team, all Zenyatta. We won quite easily, it was fun.

Strootman

So I'm playing a competitive match on X1 and the screen goes black.

"It's time to update the console"

FFS fix this shit phil god damnit it

I hit the "Open Loot Box" button to leave a game, and opened it while I went to get some curry. Sat down, got distracted by the show on tv, and when I looked back I had the Great Britain Tracer and the Yellow McCree bandit skin. I didn't actually believe it for a second thinking it was some kind of promo image.

maouvin

Playing comp with friends, ranked up, needed to go, while saying goodbye the group leader queued for comp again, game found in effin 2 seconds, left during character selection, rank down.

Damn you politeness
and record-breaking comp matchmaking

LiK

Playing comp with friends, ranked up, needed to go, while saying goodbye the group leader queued for comp again, game found in effin 2 seconds, left during character selection, rank down.

Damn you politeness
and record-breaking comp matchmaking

it's hilarious how it goes from taking 2-3 minutes or instant sometimes.

Broke into Rank 74 yesterday, then even won another game so I'm about 50% to 75.

Still no top 500, and I feel like the next comp game I play is going to make or break it.

Defuser

I find it strange that Winston's ammo count is only 100 while Mei's ammo is 200. All they need to do is buff Winston's ammo count,slightly increased his ult damage and lower his jump cooldown and he will be a formidable opponent.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I find it strange that Winston's ammo count is only 100 while Mei's ammo is 200. All they need to do is buff Winston's ammo count,slightly increased his ult damage and lower his jump cooldown and he will be a formidable opponent.

He already is?

Ramirez

Back to back hooks on the most annoying fucks in the game might be the best feeling in the game.

Aside from when you randomly kill a tracer who is riiiight in your alt fire's spread and just dies.

Nothing beats pulling annoying fucks from a story above you, lol.

I thought I played a good Roadhog before I saw Ramirez.

Boy howdy.

Roadhog is the only character I play that I will actually say myself is a problem for the other team if they don't focus me, lol. I didn't even use him much until competitive, but I slowly gravitated away from Zarya to him as my favorite hero to use. Plus, I just feel like the front line tank is so damn important in the game, and when I'm not a tank, I never feel confident about my teams front line in solo que.

LiK

You know, sometimes when Mei uses her Ult and freezes people in it, I noticed people just run away and not even bother shooting into it to try and kill Mei before she kills your frozen teammates. It's pretty annoying. I always try to shoot into it just to try and kill or damage her while she tries to go in for the kill. I dunno, just needed to vent about that.

You know, sometimes when Mei uses her Ult and freezes people in it, I noticed people just run away and not even bother shooting into it to try and kill Mei before she kills your frozen teammates. It's pretty annoying. I always try to shoot into it just to try and kill or damage her while she tries to go in for the kill. I dunno, just needed to vent about that.

idk why mei wants to rush into the heart of it. do they have that bad of an aim because it's not like the ult last long and if sh doesn't take out anyone she's dead if no one is around or her stuff is still on CD

Defuser

Even if you kill Mei before you get frozen, her teammates will clean it up so it's best to run away.

LiK

idk why mei wants to rush into the heart of it. do they have that bad of an aim because it's not like the ult last long and if sh doesn't take out anyone she's dead if no one is around or her stuff is still on CD

they're probably just bad at aiming.

Even if you kill Mei before you get frozen, her teammates will clean it up so it's best to run away.

i mean, you get frozen and your teammates who escaped the Ult should shoot into it cuz Mei will almost always rush into it and try to kill any frozen guys upclose from my experience. make her go into a ice block so hopefully the freeze wears off and you can escape.

but like i said, i was just venting about it because i see it way too often.

Jokab

At my skill level (54-58) I rarely face competent Genjis. He is played at times but there are hardly any good ones. However when you do face a good Genji, you just lose.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Befroe, DVa was generally a weaker choice than Winston.

Now, not only is Winston a weaker choice than DVa but DVa is a hard counter to Winston AND Ana completely nullifies his ult and Zenyatta murders Winston

Winston now is in a much worse place than DVa was before. DVa before was a 'not as good' spot where as Winston now is basically a free kill in most group makeups. If DVa gets shields on a charge, Winston needs to get two charges of leap and a shorter cd on his barrier.

I played a shit ton of D.Va before the buff. I like her. Her out of mech pistol is really strong, she's super maneuverable, and has a fair bit of health to get her past enemy lines for a quick OT save or push.

Now, after the buff? Holy hell, I've spent like 90% of my time with her. I'm constantly getting 15+ player killstreaks.

brian!

Played against a prtty terrifying genji last night that was difficult to deal with, but luckily the rest of his team was booty and they had a phrah to boot

LiK

Almost exclusively.

I've played maybe 25 games with another person. Most of those were placement matches.

you open to some games this evening? i'll be on tonight if you wanna group up again. i reached 66 last night but some bad games with leavers and shitty randoms dropped me back to 64.

Except his ult isn't meant for killing people, it's meant for disrupting the other team. That's Winstons job. Disruption. Also, I don't see what Mei has to do with Winston, that's a weird comparison. Also, his jump cooldown is 5 frickin seconds, I mean, it really doesn't need to be shorter. Also, he reloads very fast anyways, so ammo isn't a problem.

Winston already is a formidable opponent, even with a Zen on the other team. Why do you think he gets picked in tournament play so much? There's ALWAYS a Zen in tourney teams.

matmanx1

Sat down last night with a couple of hours to kill on Overwatch and decided I was going to spend some time with Zarya. I usually play Support classes (Lucio and Zen mostly) but I needed a break from that and from Competitive play which has been very hit or miss lately.

Even though it was only Quickplay I really enjoyed myself. I won't pretend I was awesome as Zarya, I am sure that I wasn't considering I have less than 2 hours total played as her at this point. But I enjoyed using her particular set of abilities and trying to get in the groove of when and where to use those bubble shields to maximum effect. And I can't tell you how nice it was to play a character who has that much durability and isn't constantly being targeted the way healers are.

My last match of the night was on Lijiang Tower, which I absolutely adore. It's my favorite map in the game. I ended up on the cards for total Elims and got medals for Objective Kills and Objective Time and it was a blast.

Anyway, the point here is that it's cool to have a main character or main "role" that you usually play but it's also important to shake things up once in a while and learn something new. It's pretty much refreshed my desire to play and spend time in the game.

Final thoughts: Zarya's Ult is a workable counter to a Nanoboosted Genji/Rein/Roadhog monster. You might not kill them in the 4 seconds that it is active but you sure will stop them from being able to do much during that time and will probably save your team a lot of grief. I personally used it on a boosted Roadhog last night on Route 66 and enjoyed watching him flail helplessly as my team rallied and stopped him and the Payload.

I don't understand the cries to nerf Lucio.

"He can speed boost your entire team past a Rein shield"
Ok? How many times does this happen with randoms? With randoms, there is almost always one or two guys trying to be a hero and flank, even in the 60s and 70s in Ranked. The only way for this strat to work is if you are a group of 6, with everyone on mic, working together. That doesn't happen with randoms.

They already killed Mercy. Why would anyone want them to kill the only other main healer(by main, I mean a healer at can be the only healer and it would work, unlike Ana or Zen).

People can't base every balance off tourney play because they play so much differently than us and they don't have to deal with crappy teammates and are always communicating. Plus they are the best players in the world, they make every character look amazing.

Anne

I'm sorry but at my SR on PC Lucio is in every single game and we coordinate around speedboost. This is in solo Q with random. Speedboost will always be something higher levels play around as long as it exists as is.

Also at my SR our games don't look crazy diff than tournament. We are nowhere near as good, but the general structure is the same. Biggest difference is fights go on longer and people mess up ult staggers, but that's really it.

The worst part about this community is reading balance suggestions by players to overcome their own shortcomings.
That's a great way to belittle other peoples' opinions.

Not everyone is Top 500 but that doesn't mean Blizzard shouldn't care about them. There is value in opinions from all skill levels.

I'm sorry but at my SR on PC Lucio is in every single game and we coordinate around speedboost. This is in solo Q with random. Speedboost will always be something higher levels play around as long as it exists as is.

Also at my SR our games don't look crazy diff than tournament. We are nowhere near as good, but the general structure is the same. Biggest difference is fights go on longer and people mess up ult staggers, but that's really it.
Yeah, but not everyone has the coordination and teamwork that you have. Like console for example. No one talks on there, ever. Again, you're always going to have that one player that wants to be a hero and flank.

Lucio is fine. What I don't get is why are people asking for his nerf now? He's always been a top pick, yet no one asked for his nerf before Zenyattawatch.

He's the only main healer that's worth a crap anymore. Do you people want even less randoms to pick healers?

xaosslug

I wouldn't mind them so much if Zenyatta had to actually aim them, but just pressing a button when prompted is fucking bullshit.

i wouldn't mind 'em too much either if going behind something broke their auto-targeting, but once Zenny targets you and fires even if you see him and jump behind something he still discords you! BS. >_<

Ramirez

Yeah, but not everyone has the coordination and teamwork that you have. Like console for example. No one talks on there, ever. Again, you're always going to have that one player that wants to be a hero and flank.

Lucio is fine. What I don't get is why are people asking for his nerf now? He's always been a top pick, yet no one asked for his nerf before Zenyattawatch.

He's the only main healer that's worth a crap anymore. Do you people want even less randoms to pick healers?

I think prior to the Zen buff, you were far more likely to see a Winston most games to handle Lucio dancing on a Payload or whatever.

At the end of the day, IMO, the discord orb in its current form, with Zen's new survivability, is really detrimental to the overall game. Well, overall fun, to me anyways.

I think Zen should maybe be nerfed, for sure. Bring his discord down to 30% like Mercy. 50% with Mercy was broken, how did they not see Zens discord as broken?

But just because Zen is a little OP, doesn't mean a balanced hero like Lucio should be affected or changed.

LiK

I think Zen should maybe be nerfed, for sure. Bring his discord down to 30% like Mercy. 50% with Mercy was broken, how did they not see Zens discord as broken?

But just because Zen is a little OP, doesn't mean a balanced hero like Lucio should be affected or changed.

i think that's a good compromise.

It's not people killing him that's the problem, it's that speed boost makes the WHOLE team harder to hit for its duration.

i don't really see people using it a lot except for getting from spawn to objectives in my games.

wamberz1

Winston needs a buff. Make more of his HP shields instead of health. Make his shield device last longer.

I'd be down for these. It would make leaping out of combat to throw a barrier on wounded fleeing allies more rewarding, cause you could just hide in it and get some health back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom