• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoukka

Buffing Winston is also very tricky, since his leap makes him already a very versatile hero. If it's too easy for him to jump in to eliminate a healer/sniper and to get out, it can get nasty. He's played by pro's so I don't know why you think he's weak.

That's a great way to belittle other peoples' opinions.

Not everyone is Top 500 but that doesn't mean Blizzard shouldn't care about them. There is value in opinions from all skill levels.

Yeah lets balance the game around the level 30-40 range meta so we can achieve a 50/50 win/loss for that level of players. What could go wrong?

I do think that Winston should be capable of taking out 200 health targets when having his beam continuously tethered to them without having to reload in between.

DrArchon

Winston needs a buff. Make more of his HP shields instead of health. Make his shield device last longer. Set his leap recharge during ult to zero.

I feel like his shield and health are fine. I'd just up his DPS a bit so he kills a bit faster. Maybe increase DPS by 10% and increase ammo drain by 10% so he deals the same amount of damage with a full charge of 100 ammo but does it faster.

Kito

Somehow I've managed to get Weightlifter Zarya and Sprinter Tracer within ~15 level ups, but it's the Symmetra emote I want :(

Anne

i don't really see people using it a lot except for getting from spawn to objectives in my games.

You're also low enough MMR that speedboost hasn't crept into your games like that yet.

Basically the problem with speedboost is that it takes certain interactions that are okay in isolation and makes them insane with double speed. Combined with the fact it allows teams to always initiate on good terms, it gets out of hand.

Rein shield with speedboost turns into this thing that allows a team to get almost any positioning they want safely.

McCree flashbang turns into a "kill Rein" button behind speedboost. High Noon having better LoS options is pretty good too.

Discord orb is already broken, and with more speed it gives him really free LoS to hit who he wants.

Reaper with speedboost allows him to jump on whatever tank he wants. His ult doesn't require some tricky positioning behind speedboost, and it's harder to murder him out of it.

It just goes on and on.

"but Anne, Ana ult does that but worse"

Ana ult isn't on a 12s CD and it only affects one person. Even then, there are interactions in the game that don't benefit from Ana ult as much as double speed. Ana ult is still silly and has some of the same issues, but it's actually not as bad as Lucio speedboost.

So like, what do you do to counterplay Lucio? You either set up in a position that makes it harder for speedboost to hit (read: high ground), or have your own Lucio to help reposition or disengage. The problem with the first strat is that even if you do that, Lucio speedboost still gives them such a good initiation there's a chance you'll have to break that set up. So then the strat becomes sit even further back which is horrendous and awful. The other strat is just have Lucio so you can engage too, but that's obviously dumb for a number of reasons.

There's a bit more to it than that, but that's really it. Nobody cares about his healing or survivability or mobility or whatever. Nobody has any problem killing him at higher MMR. You can't murder him before a speedboost though, and that is an issue.

duckroll

Grinding eternally above the point in KotH maps and preventing the other team from ever capping or recovering it is not boring at all!

Anne

i've reached 66. still low? maybe cuz i'm also on consoles

On console, yeah that's not quite up there yet. Console is some weird little world where Idk what all is happening. What I get from watching is there's less communication, lower gamespeed in general, longer fights, etc. The fact a lot of people here don't watch as many tournaments and also play on console probably makes me look looney, but I assure you things are diff.

Also playing Lucio in his current form is kind of fun. Learning when/how to coordinate speedboost and making those calls is a blast. That doesn't stop me from thinking speedboost is bad for game health and pretty broken right now.

I'm 68 on console right now but dropped to 66 today before getting back up. Lucio speedboosting is common there too.

So is it or is it not common at that SR on console?

Jellie

On console, yeah that's not quite up there yet. Console is some weird little world where Idk what all is happening. What I get from watching is there's less communication, lower gamespeed in general, longer fights, etc. The fact a lot of people here don't watch as many tournaments and also play on console probably makes me look looney, but I assure you things are diff.

Also playing Lucio in his current form is kind of fun. Learning when/how to coordinate speedboost and making those calls is a blast. That doesn't stop me from thinking speedboost is bad for game health and pretty broken right now.

So is it or is it not common at that SR on console?
Pretty common. I do it all the time and notice the other lucios do it too, though it's more common if against a group for obvious reasons.

Beckx

So my kids got into Overwatch and it's pulled me back into it as well. I'm having the most fun with a shooter since Halo days years ago. Back then it was a good core of good people to have fun with, now it's my daughter and I teaming up as Zen and Ana. I remain absolutely awful at FPS but it's sooo cool to come home and play a few rounds with them. If only the loot box gods would gift me Ana legendary skins.

This...is the best. LOL. I had no idea that was possible. I'm such a noob, not knowing what you can do to other people's Ults, I only figured out yesterday that Mei's blizzard would freeze Junkrat's riptire (froze it with a couple of others right as we were bring the payload into Hollywood).

Owzers

What is this speed boost people are talking about that changes everything? Is it just speeding through choke points? I've only done it a few times with Lucio, usually when I do it if there are no mics I'm the only one that pushes forward.

LiK

PC meta sounds really annoying. sometimes i wonder if i wanna double dip for the stuff you PC guys talk about :p

Prelude.

Since we're talking about nerfs and buffs, am I the only one thinking that 25 ammo for a Zarya grenade is too much? When I am close enough to use the beam I often find myself reloading pretty much immediately after I started using it because I used just a few grenades before. I realize it's just a matter of ammo management, but I don't think a hard to aim, meant to be spammed, projectile should eat up a quarter of the clip.

No_Style

What is this speed boost people are talking about that changes everything?

Using Lucio's speedboost in the thick of battle instead of just getting to places. We've (GAF group w/ Cooldude, Shiba etc) used it to to push through Hanamura gate but that's about it. I've started to experiment with using speedboost during battle but I'm 59-64 SR and haven't had much opportunity to play Lucio and/or feel comfortable enough without defaulting to healing.

... why is Reaper's summer games voiceline "It's in the refrigerator."

There's some that don't seem to fit at all with the Summer Games theme (like Roadhog's "what's mine is mine").
But I find that Reaper line so utterly bizarre that I can't help and laugh at it. It's so good. Probably the best voice line of this whole lot.

Jellie

What is this speed boost people are talking about that changes everything? Is it just speeding through choke points? I've only done it a few times with Lucio, usually when I do it if there are no mics I'm the only one that pushes forward.

It's used to push through chokepoints from behind a reinhardt shield or to initiate a fight when it suits you (eg 6 vs 5). Let's you team position in ideal locations and are harder to hit, hence why bastion and torbjorn (ie static defenses) see little usage at higher levels. Also allows your dps players to quickly get in their faces and get kills.

DrArchon

Since we're talking about nerfs and buffs, am I the only one thinking that 25 ammo for a Zarya grenade is too much? When I am close enough to use the beam I often find myself reloading pretty much immediately after I started using it because I used just a few grenades before. I realize it's just a matter of ammo management, but I don't think a hard to aim, meant to be spammed, projectile should eat up a quarter of the clip.

I feel like 25 ammo for a grenade is fine. She's got a pretty quick reload animation and you can fire off a grenade if you have less than 25 ammo to get some extra beam damage in there. Plus those suckers just do so much damage.

Anne

I'm pretty sure it has to be that high because at higher charge it deals 100+ splash damage a shot.

When you get to full charge it does hella damage. That's probably why. Just reload between engagements and absolutely reload before you ult.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
There's some that don't seem to fit at all with the Summer Games theme (like Roadhog's "what's mine is mine").
But I find that Reaper line so utterly bizarre that I can't help and laugh at it. It's so good. Probably the best voice line of this whole lot.

I know, I had to equip it immediately.

Kito

I've only done it a few times with Lucio, usually when I do it if there are no mics I'm the only one that pushes forward.

With randoms, even when they agree to rush an objective with speed boost, half the team end up God knows where. It blows my mind how such a simple, unanimously agreed instruction can go amiss.

Prelude.

Wait, what are they doing in the PTR and what's this background update I'm downloading?

I feel like 25 ammo for a grenade is fine. She's got a pretty quick reload animation and you can fire off a grenade if you have less than 25 ammo to get some extra beam damage in there. Plus those suckers just do so much damage.
1.5s is not exactly quick, that's why when it happens it's always such a hassle. And the beam is a lot more powerful DPS-wise even at 0, so I don't feel like 25 is completely justifiable.

I'm pretty sure it has to be that high because at higher charge it deals 100+ splash damage a shot.
According to Furious Paul's guide it's 46-95.

Antiwhippy

Wait, what are they doing in the PTR and what's this background update I'm dowloading?

1.5s is not exactly quick, that's why when it happens it's always such a hassle. And the beam is a lot more powerful DPS-wise even at 0, so I don't feel like 25 is completely justifiable.

But it doesn't do splash and it also doesn't have the range.

Prelude.

But it doesn't do splash and it also doesn't have the range.
Yeah, maybe. I don't know, still feels a bit too much. Gotta git gud, I guess.
Pharah does 80 splash for reference.
That's reliable damage though.

Started getting this last night, not sure about the PTR, but my guess is that this new update is for the next brawl. Tracer Racer.
It might be a bit too early for the Gamescom stuff so you're probably right. Also, about time Lucioball gets removed, it's not polished enough to stay fun for more than a few hours.

Antiwhippy

You gotta keep in mind the whole package of zarya. Really survivable, capable of turning your rampaging DPS into a tank for awhile, only tank to be not bothered by discord too much, has one of the best ults in the game, and does a fuck ton of damage when played properly.

When I was playing a competitive match, a Genji (that was charged with Ana's ult) came out of the blue and activated his ult, only for me to hook 'em and blow him away with a shotgun blast to the head. Previously, the mentioned Genji player was constantly killed yours truly, and I was unintentionally causing him grief. The guy had lost his cool when I confronted him for the 19th time, and then raged quit when he returned to seek revenge for the 20th.

I honestly felt bad for him.

I always find it flattering when I piss off somebody on the other team enough that they specifically target me. That's also why whenever a person really ticks me off I never specifically target them because I don't want to give them the satisfaction of knowing how annoying they are. :D

And then there's the occasions where you piss off a whole team to the point where they all go after you immediately with every push, even when you're not a healer. (I was Mei. It's always Mei.)

Soulflarz

Banned
^focus on improving, not winning. Your MMR doesn't move that much from winning. My friends 66 and probably going to hit top 500 before 70, craziest McCree I've ever seen on console.

i've reached 66. still low? maybe cuz i'm also on consoles
Yep, didn't start to get a feeling of "wow this is a fun challenge I haven't had in a game in awhile!" till mid 70s.

Astral

I got back into the game last night and I got four PotGs in a row! That felt so good. Ana is really fun too. I thought I wouldn't like her since I suck at sniping but I'm not doing too bad with her. I find myself no-scoping a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom