• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurumi

There's nothing unique about her at all.

'Angel' heals people, almost exclusively. Revives them when they die. How is it anything more than boring?

I'll take roller skating DJ who can wall ride, push people off the map, do decent damage, contest for long amounts of time, speed boost, oh and also heal. And a robot monk who heals, can melt targets, claps his hands to reload, and floats, anyday.

Just because you find her boring doesn't mean everyone else does. Yeah she might not have a kit like Zen or Lucio but I still have fun with her regardless.

Bust Nak

Fix Roadhog's hook. I was Mercy healing a D.VA around the corner of a door, the hook missed D.VA who was basically filling the whole doorway and hooked me instead.

There's nothing unique about her at all.

'Angel' heals people, almost exclusively. Revives them when they die. How is it anything more than boring?

I'll take roller skating DJ who can wall ride, push people off the map, do decent damage, contest for long amounts of time, speed boost, oh and also heal. And a robot monk who heals, can melt targets, claps his hands to reload, and floats, anyday.

Positioning is everything. When you're in the zone with Mercy, no flanker can touch you because you're rocketing all over the place. It's like playing chess in the middle of the scrimmage, constantly thinking about your next move.

I also disagree with 'healing almost exclusively' - the damage boost is a big deal and turns competent Pharahs, Junkrats and Zenyattas into death machines.

It's not a hero for everyone but boring? Nope.

Ertai

Not sure how reliable those Overbuff numbers and ranks are. Apparantly i'm rank #965 with Tracer on PSN and #865 with Mercy.

While i think i'm decent enough, this just seems high.

Tracer
Mercy

zoukka

Not sure how reliable those Overbuff numbers and ranks are. Apparantly i'm rank #965 with Tracer on PSN and #865 with Mercy.

While i think i'm decent enough, this just seems high.

Tracer
Mercy

I don't think it's impossible. Most decent streamers on PC seem to be in top-500 and surely the PS4 userbase is smaller and not so competitive.

Lol we won a match and the one guy on mic level 64 was so happy he made it to 65. He was praising the whole team.

Wonder what his reaction would be if we lost
😌

LiK

I'll be on again tonight. Looking forward to starting up the train again. Was a fun night once we had a full group of 6. We either steamrolled or had some fun close matches with other full groups. We didn't have much luck with randoms in a partial group. Just a lot of dumb shits who barely killed anyone and spammed "Thanks!" or raged quit on us when we were losing a round.

Hopefully no one else gets their power knocked out again cuz we would've won that. Also, double check your router :p

ekim

Again my session from yesterday. <3
untitledc5si3.png

No_Style

Just because you find her boring doesn't mean everyone else does. Yeah she might not have a kit like Zen or Lucio but I still have fun with her regardless.

I like Mercy as well but after a certain skill rank, I found her much less effective which was a shame :(

LiK

Mercy is fun by just gliding around to your allies while healing/boosting them. i do feel her pistol should be buffed in some way. no need to make the shots stronger. just make the firerate higher. even as a defensive weapon, it's not that great compared to D.Va's pistol.

LiK

enemy Mercy rez in OT is still pretty infuriating tho. we had that happen last night where she rezzed those guys twice and we were just hunting her down. someone managed to kill her and we finally captured the point. she rezzed the guys for the third time right after we captured and won the round.

rrs

Mercy can still be a massive pain in comp due to being able to res people as her ult, although the other healers are more powerful non-ult and less likely to die

Starting to think I'm actually just shit at this game.

Down to 44.

Me too! I dropped to 44 last night as well. I placed at 44 and my winrate is almost exactly 50%. Wish I could figure out how to improve myself. I think I'm going to start recording matches to see where I fuck up.

Is the primary fire done while they're coming towards you from the hook or when they're in front of you?
As soon as the hook animation ends, so when they're in front of you. I don't even think you can shoot while the hook is pulling them towards you. I'm pretty sure you can only shoot once they're in front of you.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
enemy Mercy rez in OT is still pretty infuriating tho. we had that happen last night where she rezzed those guys twice and we were just hunting her down. someone managed to kill her and we finally captured the point. she rezzed the guys for the third time right after we captured and won the round.

When I see a Mercy, I ALWAYS try to make a Beeline for her, depending on who I am playing at the moment, because the last goddamm thing I need to hear is "HELDEN STERBEN NICHT" when the enemy team is near a checkpoint or about to cap a point and ESPECIALLY in OT.

zoukka

Mercy can still be a massive pain in comp due to being able to res people as her ult, although the other healers are more powerful non-ult and less likely to die

Yeah I only see money-rezzing on pro videos. In ladder mercy is the first to die lol.

Jellie

Was about 5% of a bar from reaching my new high of 69 when I get matched against a group average of around 65 while our average was like 75. Then a player on our team gets DCed and we obviously lose and now I'm almost rank 66. So frustrating.

LiK

When I see a Mercy, I ALWAYS try to make a Beeline for her, depending on who I am playing at the moment, because the last goddamm thing I need is to hear "HELDEN STERBEN NICHT" when the enemy team is near a checkpoint or about to cap a point.

A good Mercy hides pretty well. We were busy killing the dudes and I think our Tracer was looking for her. She was a sneaky one. We saw her heal and boost but when things got heated, she immediately retreated (most likely back to their spawn point)

As soon as the hook animation ends, so when they're in front of you. I don't even think you can shoot while the hook is pulling them towards you. I'm pretty sure you can only shoot once they're in front of you.

Yea, this.

Thanks, I'm trying to get better with a few more heroes, I pretty much only play Reinhardt, Zarya, Junkrat, Tracer, Mercy and Zen. I want to get better with Roadhog, Soldier, Pharah, and maybe another defensive character. No other defensive character seems appealing to me other than Junkrat, sniping on console kinda sucks. Maybe I'll try getting better with Bastion

I woke up this morning, got on, and expected to be frustrated by competitive. I could not foresee how much, though. Awful team of people complaining about others. Particularly funny because I was Zarya, had 4 golds, and the DPS were complaining about me.

I think I need some peeps to play with or I'm not going to get anywhere. My friends are too flaky. I'm PC NA, rank 52, usually on about 4:30-9:00 MDT on weekdays, but I took the day off today so I'm available now. Anyone willing to group up? I'll Bnet in the discord channel.

LiK

Also, I turned Group chat back on. I guess in my fervor to just hide away from all chat, I had forgotten that it only includes audio with people in our group. So yea, I will keep it on from now on. Sorry to people who I played with who were probably talking to me and I didn't hear them.

Was about 5% of a bar from reaching my new high of 69 when I get matched against a group average of around 65 while our average was like 75. Then a player on our team gets DCed and we obviously lose and now I'm almost rank 66. So frustrating.

I really hope blizzard fixes this in season 2. Multiple times my buddies will get DCed in the middle of a heated match and when they log back on they can't rejoin the match. I can't invite them back and they can't rejoin on their own.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
A good Mercy hides pretty well. We were busy killing the dudes and I think our Tracer was looking for her. She was a sneaky one. We saw her heal and boost but when things got heated, she immediately retreated (most likely back to their spawn point)

Very true. Some of the best ones are the hardest to kill. I get lucky, sometimes, then they'll fly away to some location and I'm "shit, where the fuck did she get to?" and before you know it, 3 guys are rezzed.

protonium

Alt fire-hook-primary Fire-Melee

I've been playing a lot of Roadhog lately and it didn't occurr to me to alt fire fire as part of the combo, although one doesn't always get the chance. I typically alt fire to poke.

I've noticed that the first Roadhog to hook another loses, all else being equal -- RH1: Hook combo, RH2: Return fire and hook combo, RH1: Dead.

meshwork

I started at 50, got down to 38, and now can't seem to climb up higher than 40. I read that when you do really well in a match you will still go up in rank, but do you need to get 5 gold medals for that then, or what? I always have couple of gold medals in shitty matches, but it never goes up. Then again, I sometimes have a lack of medals as Winston, good for disrupting their team, bad for getting objective points, when we win.

I believe the ranking system looks at your performance on that hero on that map relative to other people who have played that same combo. It's not relative to your teammates in that particular game. I don't mean anything harsh when I say this, but you getting gold medals in a game full of bad players doesn't necessarily mean you played too well, it might just mean everyone else played really, really badly. Or alternatively if you're playing a DPS character in a normal lineup, you're kinda supposed to get a few gold/silver medals in damage and kills.

Prelude.

Medals were a mistake anyway. There's really no point showing them during a game, they just lead to skewed assumptions and possibly toxicity.

rrs

I believe the ranking system looks at your performance on that hero on that map relative to other people who have played that same combo. It's not relative to your teammates in that particular game. I don't mean anything harsh when I say this, but you getting gold medals in a game full of bad players doesn't necessarily mean you played too well, it might just mean everyone else played really, really badly. Or alternatively if you're playing a DPS character in a normal lineup, you're kinda supposed to get a few gold/silver medals in damage and kills.
I've gotten gold on elims with just 4 of them before, I think it's team based

Got the Summer Games Genji skin. Never gonna use it. Never gonna use it. I'm only really interested in the D.Va one.

I've stopped playing competitive for a while. Gone back to quick play. I forgot this game can actually be a lot of fun.

matmanx1

Starting to think I'm actually just shit at this game.

Down to 44.

Nah. In a team game like this there's 11 other factors ( 5 members on your team and 6 on theirs) that you have to contend with. I placed at 44, fell to 41, climbed to 47 and then back down to 45 as of two nights ago. It's all been fairly streaky and random.

All you can really do as a solo player is make sure you are having your best game on your best character and let the chips fall as they may.

Again my session from yesterday. <3
untitledc5si3.png

Very nice. My hope is that with S2 coming I might be able to place a little higher and climb out of the 40's but we will see. I'd love to do more grouping with GAF folks but I'm generally only playing from about 7:30 - 8:30 pm EST and then again from about 9:00 to 10:00 EST which means I dip out every night for about half an hour to take care of family stuff. It's sort of a tough schedule to expect a group to put up with but it is what it is.

I was also going to say how impressed I am that you won with that many different characters. I'm either a slow learner or overly cautious about playing heros that I don't have tons of experience with. Do you mind me asking how much overall play time you have and approx how much time you have on each of those characters?

meshwork

I've gotten gold on elims with just 4 of them before, I think it's team based

Uhm yeah, medals are team-based of course. I was talking about the competitive ranking system granting you a boost in your hidden MMR by comparing your performance against other players not in the same match as you :)

Roubjon

i played with someone with a silver portrait (lvl 600+)

I don't understand how people have played the game for that long. Like, this is basically all I've been playing everyday since it came out and I've already played it for an absurd amount of time. Props to that guy though, it's kinda impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom