• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmaCow

But is it a change or are you just getting the other end of those losses that ranked you down?

Maybe the teams who lost to you are experiencing the same matches that ranked you down.

Maybe, I'm just trying to reconcile what is happening since it's such a stark difference pretty much right when Blizzard announced how the bonus comp points would work out. I was just getting stomped last week, I'm talking about entire nights where I maybe won once but now it's the inverse where I've lost maybe once a night. I've done nothing different, still solo queueing, picking the same heroes I always play, people are communicating just about the same in voice chat but it's such a dramatic change. I never done this well throughout the season, not even close.

Animator

So yea...

sHG2zVH.jpg

Soulflarz

Banned
Don't really love the way he says it but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kybdf9ui2h0

highly important

tl;dr your gold medal is not worth mentioning if you're a non dps and stop hiding behind it, hell it's probably not that notable with most characters

though I've been saying this to everyone since day one. You still see "but I have gold damage" on PC -_-

Yes, but you also are shooting passively at 10 people who can't die from your fire necessarily, hurting 400hp on a roadhog is just feeding ult.

Just FYI every time you solo queue and lose, 5 other people also are getting 'unlucky' in solo queue and blaming their teammates. And you are one of them.

Also this. Stop doing it.

Say I ended up in a lobby with 5 reaper mains. Yes, all 5 of them are actively why we lost- 5 of us had no one to pick after all, especially me with my character, and after all, no ones a better reaper! (/sarcasm)
We all caused the loss still.

Azoor

I got the golf pose for Soldier 76.

Man, this along with the "Get off my lawn" line just feeds into the old man stereotype they're going with XD

Auctopus

I got the golf pose for Soldier 76.

Man, this along with the "Get off my lawn" line just feeds into the old man stereotype they're going with XD

"Tourist" Solider 76 skin would be great.

Bucket hat, nose with sunscreen, sunglasses, hawaiian shirt, camera round his neck, cargo shorts, sandals, tiki skin on his gun.

Jokab

Played yesterday with two friends: one regular that is around my SR (57) and one other friend that I've only played with a few times that is SR 45.

That uh... was very easy. Over three games the highest SR on the opponent team was like 52. I wrecked with Pharah and the games weren't even close because me and my regular friend dominated so much. On Ilios we were even underdogs but still rolled them 3-0.

I should play with lower ranked friends more often :)

Azoor

"Tourist" Solider 76 skin would be great.

Bucket hat, nose with sunscreen, sunglasses, hawaiian shirt, camera round his neck, cargo shorts, sandals, tiki skin on his gun.

They should have Summer skins available next summer. I'd like to see Reinhardt with nothing but swimming shorts and a inflatable mallet :p

Soulflarz

Banned
eh
I never did it but "reminder they blame you" "no it's their fault they quit on me"

if they all quit we're missing something from this story

Squire

Banned
Not like every enemy team is that shitty lol. If you got that many in 3 minutes AND wrecked face with all of them, then the other team was shit.

I'm sorry, but Genji is fine. Even the best players don't always have successful ults. It's not a free win button.

Yeah, might be because it's console, but I think I see Genji's ult whiff more than any other ult in the game. The audio/visual cues when he triggers it are a red alert to take him out immediately that most players pick up on at this point. I mean, it might actually work, what, 1 in 4 times? It's really not an issue.

Edit: While I'm taking balance, I keep having the most hilarious conversation about Winston with my group. We talk about everyone saying he needs a buff and then immediately run into a Very Good Winston. This has happened like three times the last few days. LOL

As far as semi-serious/casual play is concerned: Winston doesn't need any sort of buff at all.

Jokab

Just sitting here at work looking at my overbuff profile, itching to get home to play.

Apparently I'm 81% and 85% hero rank on my two favorite heroes, so that's something.

Soulflarz

Banned
Yeah, might be because it's console, but I think I see Genji's ult whiff more than any other ult in the game. The audio/visual cues when he triggers it are a red alert to take him out immediately that most players pick up on at this point. I mean, it might actually work, what, 1 in 4 times? It's really not an issue.

At high level ults can be used so weird

Cause Genjis are scary as f if I see him go for my dual healer I know it's a full team reset so I single ult on him- it's not worth zen+lucio dying *ever*

I also will ult on just supports, obviously.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Edit: While I'm taking balance, I keep having the most hilarious conversation about Winston with my group. We talk about everyone saying he needs a buff and then immediately run into a Very Good Winston. This has happened like three times the last few days. LOL

As far as semi-serious/casual play is concerned: Winston doesn't need any sort of buff at all.

Even at pro play he's been good.

Soulflarz

Banned
People don't need buffs
other heroes need nerfs to make the others less viable
we're very close to buffs making everyone a ridiculous kill character.

Mutombo

eh
I never did it but "reminder they blame you" "no it's their fault they quit on me"

if they all quit we're missing something from this story

I agree, that everyone always has the feeling 'the team' is bad, but you're in the team, so you're not doing well either.

Then there are matches when the team is good, and you're doing well too.

Again, I don't care about bad plays. But it's really telling that some players just immediately select their main, (pretty much always the offensive characters and flankers, or sometimes the good old widowmaker+hanzo combo) and don't select anything else for the rest of the match. It's those things that make me dislike some team members, instead of playing poorly.

Squire

Banned
At high level ults can be used so weird

Cause Genjis are scary as f if I see him go for my dual healer I know it's a full team reset so I single ult on him- it's not worth zen+lucio dying *ever*

I also will ult on just supports, obviously.

In general I'm noticing people are better about getting on/pushing the point, but still don't do much to actually back up their healers.

Even at pro play he's been good.

That's about what I figured, but I didn't wanna say. We played some comp games, but we're all either sub-40 or still doing placements (LOL).

Edit: The idea the DEF bracket is "useless" is the most hilarious nonsense to come out of the OW community in a while. For real.

Soulflarz

Banned
In general I'm noticing people are better about getting on/pushing the point, but still don't do much to actually back up their healers.

People would rather use say, a junkrat on most KOTH maps or something or shoot a d va into people

it's easier to say you're doing something by just shooting than being aware that it's a 6v6 and certain actions win a fight

ie
KILL A ZEN FIRST AS DPS THIS IS YOUR LEADING JOB- If I can teach people anything, please this

If a zen is dead and yours is alive, you have almost surely won every fight, even if you go autopilot from there on out.

edit: def heroes are worthless at high level, it just doesn't matter for 90% since a 70 hanzo can outplay the vast majority of everyone who exists. It's moreso if he had put his time into maining say, McCree, his results would be even greater. Defense heroes are a waste of your time to learn as a non pro who doesn't have time to learn the whole cast.
edit edit: okay, I mean high level, not pro level, if you're going to learn someone to get you to top 500, please don't learn defense.

Jokab

People would rather use say, a junkrat on most KOTH maps or something or shoot a d va into people

it's easier to say you're doing something by just shooting than being aware that it's a 6v6 and certain actions win a fight

ie
KILL A ZEN FIRST AS DPS THIS IS YOUR LEADING JOB- If I can teach people anything, please this

If a zen is dead and yours is alive, you have almost surely won every fight, even if you go autopilot from there on out.

edit: def heroes are worthless at high level, it just doesn't matter for 90% since a 70 hanzo can outplay the vast majority of everyone who exists. It's moreso if he had put his time into maining say, McCree, his results would be even greater. Defense heroes are a waste of your time to learn as a non pro who doesn't have time to learn the whole cast.
edit edit: okay, I mean high level, not pro level, if you're going to learn someone to get you to top 500, please don't learn defense.

Can you go into more detail about these actions? I feel that given my performance stats on my best heroes I should have a higher winrate, but obviously there's something holding me back. I'm sure it's decision making such as who to target first that's crippling me at times.

Soulflarz

Banned
Can you go into more detail about these actions? I feel that given my performance stats on my best heroes I should have a higher winrate, but obviously there's something holding me back. I'm sure it's decision making such as who to target first that's crippling me at times.

Who do you main?

Honestly I don't think it through as much as others do, it just kind of comes to me, but I'm well aware it helps my team win, since I can basically at this point say "one is dead, PUSH!" and relatively make plays work.

If you're not in a full queue, making plays for your team is essential. Hold their hands. If a 40 would rush in after what you just did, a higher rank definitely will!

But yeah who do you play :3 It matters a lot~

For me as reaper, successfully flanking without getting killed and still being able to take out any squishy or support in my way is essential. A zen is a free kill, always go for him. I then move onto squishys. A genji just ulted and is about to kill both your supports? Kill the Genji immediately. I don't feel bad about saving two people for my burnt ult if it's essential in the moment to win a round, since that's just how it goes.

The thought process is closer to "how can my individual actions guarantee we kill 6 before they kill 6"

If I went for a roadhog, it will probably do a lot less than killing a support, even if I trade lives.

Jokab

Who do you main?

Honestly I don't think it through as much as others do, it just kind of comes to me, but I'm well aware it helps my team win, since I can basically at this point say "one is dead, PUSH!" and relatively make plays work.

If you're not in a full queue, making plays for your team is essential. Hold their hands. If a 40 would rush in after what you just did, a higher rank definitely will!

But yeah who do you play :3 It matters a lot~

Soldier and Pharah are my two best. Profiles for reference:
Soldier
Pharah

Soulflarz

Banned
Soldier and Pharah. My profiles for reference:
Soldier
Pharah

Going to have to think on this one.
In the meantime...I honestly hate saying this...but
Soldier->McCree, since the entire game revolves around situating your team around your lucio+zen at the moment.

Soldier does burst damage to remain accurate so you need to aim decently, so McCree isn't too drastic of a change. Regardless, Soldiers abilities aren't as good at the moment- McCree can shut down flankers hard, and if you're dying with both your zen and lucio around, you messed up, since you can actively save them with your flashbang against the dps on them.

That's my first note. As for actual soldier usage, make sure you're actually killing your targets. DPS can go for squishys first. Tanks? Wait for group fire and discord. It'll make the payoff infinitely better, and really, without that you're screwed. Be aware of if you're shooting the best target at the moment or if the squishy nearby is a bigger threat and has less health, because they're squishy! zen+lucio (or mercy if the team hasn't read a guide for meta in a month) are your first target, always.

Sadly I won't pretend to know Pharah well enough to give you too much that isn't universal tips.

Veelk

Banned
I went to play one more time, just because I didn't want to end on such a bitter note. I lost the first game, knocking my rank down to a paltry 51 and you wouldn't believe the difference a few ranks can make in the 50's. The match I had was easily one of the most brain dead in a while and could have easily been in QP. It was a win, but it didn't bring me a shred of joy.

This is the biggest low point I've had with the game. If I was going to stop playing, it'd be if I had consecutive nights like this. Just pure frustration, it's basically THE reason I want an unranked mode that cuts out the bullshit we have at present in QP right now.

Skii

I'm getting a lot better with Genji now. Generally getting a 2:1 k/d ratio or better. I just need to get better with Dragonblade. I just need to learn to pop it at the right time. I always hold onto it too long or pop it and get rekt immediately.

Also, Zenyatta is so OP lol. Played him yesterday and it's so easy just to sit behind the team on a push and ruin everyone with discord orbs. Even Winstons jumping in behind get beaten by me 1v1. He's a healer that gives you 20 eliminations. Ridiculous.

Soulflarz

Banned
Also, Zenyatta is so OP lol. Played him yesterday and it's so easy just to sit behind the team on a push and ruin everyone with discord orbs. Even Winstons jumping in behind get beaten by me 1v1. He's a healer that gives you 20 eliminations. Ridiculous.

He'd be OP even without his passive heal on someone

Discord is too ridiculous as it stands. It and speed boost are the best normal in the entire game, and together the two supports are crazy.

Luciatta is definitely OP.

Also two of the best designed, fun, cool, characters in the game.

So I guess if it has to be someone...

Those two are way more interesting than Mercy just rezzing the team every fight.

Really like Ana's kit too hopefully she can find a spot in the meta at some point.

Kurumi

Luciatta is definitely OP.

Also two of the best designed, fun, cool, characters in the game.

So I guess if it has to be someone...

Those two are way more interesting than Mercy just rezzing the team every fight.

Really like Ana's kit too hopefully she can find a spot in the meta at some point.

Don't talk about my bae like that : (

It's ok Mercy. Everyone else has forgotten about you but I haven't.

Jokab

Going to have to think on this one.
In the meantime...I honestly hate saying this...but
Soldier->McCree, since the entire game revolves around situating your team around your lucio+zen at the moment.

Soldier does burst damage to remain accurate so you need to aim decently, so McCree isn't too drastic of a change. Regardless, Soldiers abilities aren't as good at the moment- McCree can shut down flankers hard, and if you're dying with both your zen and lucio around, you messed up, since you can actively save them with your flashbang against the dps on them.

That's my first note. As for actual soldier usage, make sure you're actually killing your targets. DPS can go for squishys first. Tanks? Wait for group fire and discord. It'll make the payoff infinitely better, and really, without that you're screwed. Be aware of if you're shooting the best target at the moment or if the squishy nearby is a bigger threat and has less health, because they're squishy! zen+lucio (or mercy if the team hasn't read a guide for meta in a month) are your first target, always.

Sadly I won't pretend to know Pharah well enough to give you too much that isn't universal tips.

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah I've been trying to play more McCree lately and I'm getting better. Sucks that he's so vital to the meta right now since I like Soldier more honestly.

Don't talk about my bae like that : (

It's ok Mercy. Everyone else has forgotten about you but I haven't.
There's nothing unique about her at all.

'Angel' heals people, almost exclusively. Revives them when they die. How is it anything more than boring?

I'll take roller skating DJ who can wall ride, push people off the map, do decent damage, contest for long amounts of time, speed boost, oh and also heal. And a robot monk who heals, can melt targets, claps his hands to reload, and floats, anyday.

Soulflarz

Banned
Thanks for the advice.

Yeah I've been trying to play more McCree lately and I'm getting better. Sucks that he's so vital to the meta right now since I like Soldier more honestly.

He's less vital than he was, but yes, hes still highly useful. The issue is Soldier is just...so much worse at everything. The flankers can kill squishys and tanks if they're discorded...and McCree can counter flankers...
What can soldier do, heal? If you're dying in a meta™ comp you were dead anyways.

Also a lucio ulted on illios to get a triple kill out of the house (on the only map part where that applied), my brain broke and I fell in love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom