• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

i main him in Comp and i just jump around a lot and utilize his traps/concussion nades for close quarters encounters. the traps are amazing at locking up people who might wanna flank you or charge you. most players will try to avoid your nades so always use them to keep them at bay and don't be afraid to retreat and shoot from afar to keep the pressure on. i play him like a maniac as most Gaffers here who play with me would know, heh.

i can pretty much survive against most heroes these days. only Genji and Zen gives me trouble in Comp. everyone else ain't so bad.

yes, but HOW? TEACH ME YOUR WAYS! LOL Whenever I play him I instantly become THE target and have like 2-3 peeps on me almost instantly, and in most cases there's a Pharah involved. I can handle myself 1v1 w/ almost any character as Junkrat, but it's hard to handle multiple peeps on me at once. :'(

LiK

yes, but HOW? TEACH ME YOUR WAYS! LOL Whenever I play him I instantly become THE target and have like 2-3 peeps on me almost instantly, and in most cases there's a Pharah involved. I can handle myself 1v1 w/ almost any character as Junkrat, but it's hard to handle multiple peeps on me at once. :'(

Yea, I get hit with discord and become a target for the enemies a lot as well. Learn to spread the nades and also constantly move around. Hide behind obstacles and your team and learn to shoot the nades in arcs to hit enemies from afar. If a Pharah is annoying you and no one can take her out then you can try taking cover or hiding among your team. Keep an eye on her descent and you can usually try to trap or use the concussion grenade to take her out if her health is low enough. I've done it many times.

I'm a pretty aggressive Junkrat and will jump into the fray. That's just how I like to play him.

Jellie

So the majority of the time I've played as Lucio. Want to try out some DPS characters. Which DPS would utilize the skill set of a Lucio player the most? I think Genji cos of the projectiles and mobility but he might be a bit too difficult for me.

LiK

So the majority of the time I've played as Lucio. Want to try out some DPS characters. Which DPS would utilize the skill set of a Lucio player the most? I think Genji cos of the projectiles and mobility but he might be a bit too difficult for me.

Try Soldier. Sprint + self heal.

xaosslug

i would actually suggest Junkrat, just because of the constant jumping you are probably used to? My brother is a decent-to-good Genji, but he's a fairly mediocre Lucio. LOL

Yea, I get hit with discord and become a target for the enemies a lot as well. Learn to spread the nades and also constantly move around. Hide behind obstacles and your team and learn to shoot the nades in arcs to hit enemies from afar. If a Pharah is annoying you and no one can take her out then you can try taking cover or hiding among your team. Keep an eye on her descent and you can usually try to trap or use the concussion grenade to take her out if her health is low enough. I've done it many times.

I'm a pretty aggressive Junkrat and will jump into the fray. That's just how I like to play him.

yeah, I think moving around (meaning I tend to plant myself in a spot and just try to maintain that position, kind of like a Bastion >_<) is my biggest problem w/ Junkrat. Hmm. Thanks for the insight!

matmanx1

McCree shouldn't have had 30m drop off. Ever. He could have used some adjustments but that was insane and everybody knew it. It was so bad they changed it in an untested emergency patch.

Zenyatta is a must pick for any reasonable team past a certain point and he invalidates a large portion of the cast, most noticeably the other healers.

Good choices Blizzard. Like I get that you don't actually care about game balance outside of perception but boy if you ever get to a point where it matters some of this stuff is gonna fuck you right up.

Anne you seem to be pretty "in the know" with how mechanics seem to work for most of this stuff. Obviously Zen's damage is high for a support but this isn't exclusive to Zen; Symmetra's gun is fairly high damage also but has the drawback of being either short range or a very slow projectile.

But if we are taking about DPS characters, how does Zen's dps stack up with say, Mcree or Pharah or Genji or other 200hp characters? Or Even Soldier 76 who can also heal a little bit? I ask this because, within the game design envelope there's obviously room for characters who are actually more than one thing ( Zarya's a tank but her damage output becomes quite high when fully powered up thus making her also a DPS, Junkrat is labeled as defense for area denial but also has high dmg capability, etc.) .

That being said, I think we are in agreement that it's not necessarily Zen's dmg output that is the problem. It's more that his Discord orb is such a big debuff and like most folks I favor a reduction to at least 30% to be in line with Mercy's buff. And, although I never thought I would say this, give the Discord orb a 2 - 3 second cool down so that it can't be spammed over and over.

Pilgrimzero

Good lord, trying to play this in the middle of the day is stupid. Im either filling in for losing teams or get stuck with people who apparently forgot how to play the game.

What 2 Genjis didnt pull this win out? Im shocked.

Jellie

Try Soldier. Sprint + self heal.
Hmm stats wise he's probably probably my second best DPS character. Got most kills with tracer and 20% higher win rate than my other dpsers but tracer doesnt really get used at higher levels does she?
i would actually suggest Junkrat, just because of the constant jumping you are probably used to? My brother is a decent-to-good Genji, but he's a fairly mediocre Lucio. LOL
Not really a fan of junkrat. Plus him constantly jumping isn't similar to Lucio's I think.

Soulflarz

Banned
Medals were a mistake anyway. There's really no point showing them during a game, they just lead to skewed assumptions and possibly toxicity.

Game. Show the stats. Do not show the medals.

For example if everyone on your team went 20-0 or better, the guy going 22-0 will have no elim medal even though he's doing ridiculous and your whole team is steamrolling theirs.

Medals serve no purpose but for lower levels who actually care about that stuff to hide behind them. This is the difference between a flanker shooting a bunch of people twice and dying after feeding their self heal ults and shouting "BUT I HAVE GOLD IN KILLS AND DAMAGE" and him taking out both supports and laughing as he can autopilot the discorded idiots from there on out, and people really need to realize it.

Your character can also be awful for the team. Have no flankers and many McCree like characters? Probably go Rein, not D Va, you might personally do a bit better with D Va, but your entire team needs a Rein.

KiraFA37

Had a nice series of matches today. Won some, lost some. Quick Play can still be really fun if you're matched as a group of 6 against another group of 6. :)

Ended the night with.... the Korea Dva Summer skin in a lootbox. <3 <3 <3

*Stares jealously*... and here I am without any skins but look at all the duplicates I got!

Got all the country skins now minus Mercy and McCree. Other than those I still want the Pharah dunking icon and Soldier has a voice line where he says, "Want a medal?" I need that.

Jokab

Damn I was on a winstreak going from 57 to 59 in one sitting, was one win away from 60 and then I lose two :( Time to take a break and watch TI6 I guess

xaosslug

Not really a fan of junkrat. Plus him constantly jumping isn't similar to Lucio's I think.

fair enough, but what I mean wrt jumping is that as someone who regularly plays Lucio you are used to constantly jumping around, much like those who regularly play Junkrat - so you could map Junkrat's jump like how you have Lucio's, or something. No worries.

matmanx1

Purely an academic questions but how much time do you think should be spent "practicing" a character before you are comfortable bringing it into Comp play?

Obviously this will be different for each person but I'm just curious what the range here on GAF might be.

For my first main (who is/was Lucio) I really felt like 8 - 10 hours to reach a good, comfortable level of consistent play and feel like I was really contributing to victories. During this time I was also new to the game and learning the maps so now that I am working on some other characters that number will be lower, maybe 3 - 4 hours of solid practice, depending on which character it is.

So how about you? Do you have a rule of thumb you follow for bringing a hero into Comp?

LiK

Hmm stats wise he's probably probably my second best DPS character. Got most kills with tracer and 20% higher win rate than my other dpsers but tracer doesnt really get used at higher levels does she?

I see plenty of Tracers in games with high 60's and low 70's. a good Tracer can destroy a team like a good Genji. Both people in my group and enemy teams have had Tracers so she's worth mastering if you're into her playstyle.

Just started a match on defense and no one chose a defense hero.

tumblr_mzh0hqMANs1qfaa86o1_400.gif

Ended the night with.... the Korea Dva Summer skin in a lootbox. <3 <3 <3

Man, the Lucio one is the only one I got so far. I'd like one for a character I actually play. God dammit, Blizzard. They really need to institute some way to earn at least some credits through normal play.

MGrant

Just started a match on defense and no one chose a defense hero.

Pretty understandable. Reaper outclasses Mei in her role, McCree outclasses the snipers, Zen provides all the anti-tank defense you'll ever need, and Bastion/Torb require a team to coordinate around them or they're borderline useless.

Jellie

fair enough, but what I mean wrt jumping is that as someone who regularly plays Lucio you are used to constantly jumping around, much like those who regularly play Junkrat - so you could map Junkrat's jump like how you have Lucio's, or something. No worries.
I see what you mean. Think their jumps are for different purposes. Lucio climbs and jumps walls to escape or evade while junkrat uses his jumps to shoot down (I assume as I don't play him) and his mine to escape.
Purely an academic questions but how much time do you think should be spent "practicing" a character before you are comfortable bringing it into Comp play?

Obviously this will be different for each person but I'm just curious what the range here on GAF might be.

For my first main (who is/was Lucio) I really felt like 8 - 10 hours to reach a good, comfortable level of consistent play and feel like I was really contributing to victories. During this time I was also new to the game and learning the maps so now that I am working on some other characters that number will be lower, maybe 3 - 4 hours of solid practice, depending on which character it is.

So how about you? Do you have a rule of thumb you follow for bringing a hero into Comp?
think this depends on the role and how much you play your main in comparison to your secondaries. DPS would require the most time investments as they are hardest and most important. I've got about 10+ hours in most DPS but don't feel comfortable with them for comp. Similar hours on Zen but feel can do well with him as I'm used to support as I have almost 90 hours on Lucio so I know when and who to heal, positioning and can see what's happening easier than a DPS can.

I see plenty of Tracers in games with high 60's and low 70's. a good Tracer can destroy a team like a good Genji. Both people in my group and enemy teams have had Tracers so she's worth mastering if you're into her playstyle.
Think I read somewhere genji does everything tracer can but better. Better mobility, can escape easier and better ult. Tracer seems to work for me though I guess. Probably cos she targets healers so know what they would do I guess.

Veelk

Banned
I don't get why defense heroes get such a bad rep here. Like, they're limited in mobility and I understand that. But a Junkrat that knows how to throw his explosives is a substantial threat....hell, even a junkrat just spamming his grenades will get kills just by sheer luck if he is throwing them in the general direction of the objective. Mei can be a legitimate nuisance with all her abilities. A good Hanzo, rare as they may be, can wreck your day. Before yesterday, I'd have said Bastion was situational, and he still is, but players who know how to manuever him right can do damage, apparently. Even a Torbjorn can contribute if he times his MC's and throws out armor and participates in the battle properly.

The only one I question is Widowmaker, who you basically need to make constant headshots with in order to be any good, and that shit is HARD, especially on consoles.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Think I read somewhere genji does everything tracer can but better. Better mobility, can escape easier and better ult. Tracer seems to work for me though I guess. Probably cos she targets healers so know what they would do I guess.

Tracer does everything Genji can do but better outside of her ult

whoever told you Tracer has worse mobility than Genji probably 'mains' Tracer

LiK

Genji has verticality so he's harder to hit for some people but I think Tracer's ability to self heal is also helpful. I guess it depends on how good the enemy team is at countering them. I've seen people in my group dominate with either one.

The issue is junkrat becomes junk damage in the 70s in most situation, since ultfeeding tanks can be better spent on an alt hero.

i'm glad i don't play with you anymore.

Soulflarz

Banned

This just isn't true at all.

Especially because of how ridiculous Genjis ult is, his slash combos, etc. He has so many tools she simply doesn't.

Because I said a character isn't the best pick for all maps? I don't use reaper everywhere, and when I do it's solely because the zencio meta makes flankers who can back up ridiculously hard to finish off.

Back on topic though, Junkrat does a lot of AoE damage to tanks but it wont kill them that often as the game currently is with double supports. He might if the other team doesn't understand some stuff, but he's not as good of a choice as another high priority target DPS.

Switching characters if needed should be a "hey, we need an x, can anyone do that?" talk, not something people take direct offense by, since a lot of people would currently eat a loss if they know they were the best on their team rather than a win.

xaosslug

I see what you mean. Think their jumps are for different purposes. Lucio climbs and jumps walls to escape or evade while junkrat uses his jumps to shoot down (I assume as I don't play him) and his mine to escape.

no, see. From what I've heard a 'good Lucio is never standing still & constantly moving/jumping even when they're holding a position' (tho, I suppose, this is true for most characters...) etc, which is the same w/ Junkrat - it has nothing to do with Lucio's wall-riding or Junkrat's hooting or mine escape.

it's just an aspect of the character, etc. Like even when you are 'standing still' you are constantly moving, you know what I mean? I feel like Lucio & Junkrat share that aspect, but maybe, that's just me! >_<

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

I just got the game last week and have played Lucio most of the time so I can get a hang of the game while trying to help out my team. But the most frustrating thing for me is trying to hang near the objective so to help heal teammates but they are no where near the damned objective. Like they are hiding worried about their k/d ratio instead of the objective.

Is anyone having a hard time finding games lately? I have tried playing Overwatch yesterday and today and can't find a game on "Quick Play."

I'm a level 20 so I can't queue for Competitive =(

Edit: Just found a game...it took 4 minutes? Usually it only took 10-20 seconds??

How much better do they need to make Ana to make her relevant?

I think she's mostly fine, she just is going to take a while for people to learn how to use her properly. Also, the biggest problem is that the current 2 supports in the meta (Zen and Lucio) are simply better than the other supports, which is why Ana doesn't see a lot of use, and neither does Mercy. Why bring those two if you can have Zen or Lucio instead?

Jellie

He has vertical mobility while she doesn't. His ult basically requires a zenyatta to save his ult for while tracer can be avoided easily.
Genji has verticality so he's harder to hit for some people but I think Tracer's ability to self heal is also helpful. I guess it depends on how good the enemy team is at countering them. I've seen people in my group dominate with either one.

I think I'll try and get good with her then. Self heal is a good point I forgot about.
no, see. From what I've heard a 'good Lucio is never standing still & constantly moving/jumping even when they're holding a position' (tho, I suppose, this is true for most characters...) etc, which is the same w/ Junkrat - it has nothing to do with Lucio's wall-riding or Junkrat's hooting or mine escape.

it's just an aspect of the character, etc. Like even when you are 'standing still' you are constantly moving, you know what I mean? I feel like Lucio & Junkrat share that aspect, but maybe, that's just me! >_<
Depends on the other teams comp. Jumping around is predictable so characters such as Pharah can pick you off easily. Even wall riding is predictable and is best used for escaping.

Anne

Anne you seem to be pretty "in the know" with how mechanics seem to work for most of this stuff. Obviously Zen's damage is high for a support but this isn't exclusive to Zen; Symmetra's gun is fairly high damage also but has the drawback of being either short range or a very slow projectile.

But if we are taking about DPS characters, how does Zen's dps stack up with say, Mcree or Pharah or Genji or other 200hp characters? Or Even Soldier 76 who can also heal a little bit? I ask this because, within the game design envelope there's obviously room for characters who are actually more than one thing ( Zarya's a tank but her damage output becomes quite high when fully powered up thus making her also a DPS, Junkrat is labeled as defense for area denial but also has high dmg capability, etc.) .

That being said, I think we are in agreement that it's not necessarily Zen's dmg output that is the problem. It's more that his Discord orb is such a big debuff and like most folks I favor a reduction to at least 30% to be in line with Mercy's buff. And, although I never thought I would say this, give the Discord orb a 2 - 3 second cool down so that it can't be spammed over and over.

Zen deals 60 an orb with discord and 120 a headshot at all ranges. McCree deals 70/140 a left click up to 21m. Zen has pretty good DPS. That alone isn't super damning, just with 200hp that means he will be able to out DPS them in a 1v1. All that really means is his DPS overcomes his survivability issues at 200hp. Didn't at 150 cause he could get more or less 1 shot all the time.

And yeah, I just think nerfing discord and maybe a little more something will make hime fine. At 200hp and 30% he'll still probably be auto include. Idk if that will be the "well this just works" autoinclude or "you can't fight this without one" autoinclude. If Lucio gets nerfed too the game will be a lot different so that might be okay.

Permanently A

Junkrat's riptire seems useless on PC, it gets destroyed almost every time.

Yeah you have to be very picky about when to use it. If you're on defense its helpful to use it just for the scare because the enemy team will immediately back off and spread out, which can be used to get a pick if coordinated with the team properly. If you're actually trying to kill with it, you have to wait until they are huddled up and you have a way to get the tire to them without giving them line of sight (eg using the side corridors on Dorado's final point and dropping onto the payload from above).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom