• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, even if you nerf his speed boost, it will still be a clutch ability and he will still be picked in almost every game because of the speed, amazing healing, and amazing ult. Nerfing him won't change anything.

Nori Chan

Rank 65 solo queuing. Yay guaranteed Gold Gun. Going straight for tracer with nearly 16 hours with her.

I just wish I could hit top 500 to get the icons and spray on xbox :\

Blues1990

I feel Bastion is actually one of the few perfectly balanced heroes in the game. It's incredibly powerful in turret mode, but is easy to pick off. It's ult allows for countering big pushes, especially if you deplete a Reinhardt shield before using said ult, and gives it a ton of HP if you need to use it to survive.

brian!

Yeah, even if you nerf his speed boost, it will still be a clutch ability and he will still be picked in almost every game because of the speed, amazing healing, and amazing ult. Nerfing him won't change anything.

the clear fix for this is to specialize him for speed and make him inadequate both for healing and pushing onto a point (and to do similar focusing down on zenyatta and make it so having both speedups/dmg amp on the same comp isnt feasible, making you create strats around one or the other), but I mean I feel like this is where the real issue comes in because fixes like these would completely ruin the game for the majority of players. I feel like while in actuality there are multiple ways to open up the game (mostly via hyper-specialization, like something where x just does a better job than y so y is edged out being actively reduced by blizz and these specializations coming together into various strats (and hero drafting!!)), a lot of the methods they could use require a more skillful userbase and the game is too yung to focus down too hard on making the game interesting at a higher lvl.

but yeah a reduction on zen's dmg amp for example really treads weird water where you probably still have to choose between it being not good enough or still mandatory, but is also the most likely "type" of balancing that will come through

my totally improbable want is that new modes get released lol (i was thinking like ctf or something wacky), but yeh probably not gonna happen and very hard to balance out

not really hurting too hard tho since I still mainly just goof around in this game, but I'd love to come in as a spectator and be more interested in the meta and not be annoyed when a caster is describing how THIS IS THE BEST SHIT EVER

Prelude.

Jesus christ, I had to babysit for two whole matches a Reaper that asked for heals every time he lost 1/3 of his life and waited in a corner until I got there. When we had to get point A on Hollywood he was asking for my ult before even going in and wasn't moving from the room near it. When I did use it, when the whole team was ready to go in, he wrote "oh you use it now that I'm dead?".
And I was playing Lucio as a solo healer. How can you get to level 150 like that?

Lee

Rank 65 solo queuing. Yay guaranteed Gold Gun. Going straight for tracer with nearly 16 hours with her.

I just wish I could hit top 500 to get the icons and spray on xbox :\

Maxed out at 63 on Xbox. Currently 57... part of me wants to try to hit 65 for the extra 100, but I just don't see that happening. Got on for one match last night, we were clearly winning, held them at 1 on Defense, get 1 immediately on offense, and one of our guys drops out. Try to challenge 5v6, and another of our guys drops out... Signed off after that one.

I think I'm happy with 63 and I'll be back for Season 2.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nah, i rather if they concentrate lucio's healing and diminish his speed.

I don't mind if he's auto picked for his healing, but speed boost just funnels the game's strategy down a very narrow path of rushing down.

I went from 60 to 51 due to the same problems you mentioned. Had multiple gold games but couldn't recover due to bad teammates. All it takes is one fucking up and you lose and then snowballs. Anyway, I play Zenyatta, Lucio, Pharah, Mccree, Soldier 76. I can play at most times really, so PM me if you're interested.

oh i was so infuriated by the end of the night. Just anything that could go wrong would lol Im kind of happy the season is ending the 17th so it resets.

brian!

yeah speed boost needs a specific non-mei counter to be eeked out, I wouldnt mind if speed boost was stronger but had like actual counterplay though. I also wouldnt really want speed specific play to be taken out too, it'd be awesome if building a comp around it ended up being niche and daring

this is mostly dreaming though lol

Jesus christ, I had to babysit for two whole matches a Reaper that asked for heals every time he lost 1/3 of his life and waited in a corner until I got there. When we had to get point A on Hollywood he was asking for my ult before even going in and wasn't moving from the room near it. When I did use it, when the whole team was ready to go in, he wrote "oh you use it now that I'm dead?".
And I was playing Lucio as a solo healer. How can you get to level 150 like that?

he's probably a secret hanzo player. did you check his profile.

Anne

I personally would prefer if we didn't go the mobility creep route and keep the speed ups relatively tame.

Honestly the if the speedbost didn't literally make the entire team double speed every 12s it might be balanced. Too much speed on that short a CD on too many targets. It can't have all of that. Changing targets messes with LoS mechanic. Changing CD fucks with his healing and even then you only need one speedboost usually. I think changing the % speed up makes the most sense.

He's at 30% passive and 110% amp it up for movement speed right now, for anybody that doesn't know the numbers.

Prelude.

he's probably a secret hanzo player. did you check his profile.
z82vijlo.jpg

I think this is a good way to compromise things:

Lucio: make speed boost 60% with amp instead of 110% to slow things down a bit. Doesn't affect healing.

Genji: ult charge nerf by 10-20%, or, one less second of ult time.

Zenyatta: discord does 30% instead of 50, or, you can't switch discord targets until you either kill the current discord target or they lose LOS, resetting discord. With the second thing, they would have to make discord technically lose LOS with a Rein or Winston shield, so that it can't be abused(unless it already does this?)

I don't think Lucio or Genji should be nerfed but I think Zen does need to be and I think these would be good changes.

brian!

i dunno id be pretty into say
~20% on normal aura, target player for 2 sec 200% boost (just throwing random numbers out)

for zenyatta it's a lil weird since dmg amp is such a valuable thing that you'd want to limit the duration of the orb somehow, I'm not too into the idea of making LoS more difficult or unforgiving though since that really is a qol thing to me and I'm wary of balance changes that make heroes feel kinda restrictive when playing them. like I love that ana has a shitload of ammo now, it just makes playing her feel more fun. my charges idea for discord is pretty bad but the idea that the dmg transferred via discord can be capped somehow is something I feel can be worked with (and cool visual cues can make it feel intuitive)

Anne

Lucio amp it up being at like 60% on amp

Zenyatta at 30% discord

Genji ult duration at 7s and 10% slower charge rate

That makes sense to me as a way to test balance. Genji ult changes are only for solo q really. In tournaments the extra 2s is just overkill and usually don't matter, same with the charge rate. In solo q it's pretty oppressive and that can make it more in line.

There's probably more to be done past that, but begins to address a lot of the problems that are currently popping up.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I kind of think zen is perfect now as a hybrid dps healer just by himself, it's just his ability to give the whole team 150% damage on specific characters that's super crazy.

Yeah, I think Discord is the only thing in the game that's straight broken, but there are definitely compromises that can work with nerfing Lucio and Genji, like I said above.

I agree, that other than discord, Zen is perfect. Nerf discord and the current balance of the game will be fairly stable(imo).

On another note, how are the new changes to defense? Are they as shitty as we thought they would be, oooorrr...?

Just did some target practice in a skirmish with only headshot damage vs a bunch of Ana bots. I still have to practice a lot, but funnily enough after playing almost exclusively with characters that have projectiles, I have a much easier time scoring headshots with Zenyatta than I do with McCree or Widowmaker.

brian!

as far as i can see, if he can viably survive there is just no good reason to give up a teamwide dmg buff, whether you are killing a target 50% faster or 30% faster, unless he gives something else up that's pretty essential or if the dmg amp has to have a decent amount of effort involved to obtain.

but I mean it could totally be the case that there is a sweet spot for it, strategically tho it's hard to imagine what a team would give up the dmg amp for in competitive play

I'm on Seagulls side where insta kills are not fun. The only things that should one shot are snipers(minus Ana, of course) and shotguns. Nerfing discord will solve this problem.

One shotting Tracer is the only exception. She should be one shot by many things.

Gurrry

Blizzard needs to actually do something when you report someone. Just came across a racist piece of shit who kept dropping N words and saying other stupid shit.

Fucking tired of it. Ban these people Blizzard.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I find it so hard to hit thing as Ana yet enemy Anas seem to be able to heal a dashing Genji from across the map and sleep a speedbosting Lucio. Man.

ISOM

I kind of think zen is perfect now as a hybrid dps healer just by himself, it's just his ability to give the whole team 150% damage on specific characters that's super crazy.

Decrease his Discord by 20-30% on teammates but keep it 50% for Zen? That might be a good balance.

Anne

as far as i can see, if he can viably survive there is just no good reason to give up a teamwide dmg buff, whether you are killing a target 50% faster or 30% faster, unless he gives something else up that's pretty essential or if the dmg amp has to have a decent amount of effort involved to obtain.

but I mean it could totally be the case that there is a sweet spot for it, strategically tho it's hard to imagine what a team would give up the dmg amp for in competitive play

Well if you look up numbers he gives up heal potential a tiny bit. Harmony is at 60% of what Mercy can do and is also single target. The trade off is he only needs LoS instead of being close, but that's still pretty significant numbers wise. He also has no mobility and a huge hitbox still. The logic is for that 60% less heal potential to give him the 50% damage buff instead. As it turns out, that 50% damage buff works out a lot diff than Mercy's and offers up more potential DPS that people are eating up.

In a world where Zenyatta has 30% damage amp, there is a chance that people can heal through it. In a world where Zen/Lucio combo doesn't exist, Ana's nade could actually bring in enough of a heal boost to survive the damage. Right now that extra 20% along with the speedburst edges her out.

Since we are getting close and I don't know if a title has already been selected, but since we are getting close:

Overwatch lOT5I offensively defensive

Overwatch lOT5l a new low in defenses and balancing systems.
I hope you guys get this joke ;_;

wamberz1

Since we are getting close and I don't know if a title has already been selected, but since we are getting close:

Overwatch lOT5I offensively defensive

Overwatch lOT5l a new low in defenses and balancing systems.
I hope you guys get this joke ;_;

Overwatch lOT5I The Best Defense...

Bastion short taking place in the wilderness basically confirms Black Forest as a new map.
Bastions lore is all about him being an old war Omnic that woke up and became peaceful. He then found a liking to nature, hence his bird and overgrown skin.

I don't see how that confirms anything. It's just his story.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Really can't wait, i'm excited for a forest map for a change. Not always cities, and all that future sci-fi shit.

Squire

Banned
I don't see how that confirms that at all.

It's already super obvious given the other stuff that was found, but most of the shorts take place on an actual map from the game. The original BlizzCon trailer and "Recall" probably don't because they're introducing the premise of the game. "Alive", "Dragons" and "Hero" do though. I don't see why they would go backwards.

Bastions lore is all about him being an old war Omnic that woke up and became peaceful. He then found a liking to nature, hence his bird and overgrown skin.

None of this rules out the forest in the short being Black Forest.

ramyeon

All of the shorts so far have taken place in maps from the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom