• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manoko

If a level 60 player was suddenly dropped into the 40's I think they'd win at least 70% of their games and rocket up the rankings. There is a chance that you guys are just right where you should be.

Not if that level 60 isn't good at Genji/McCree no.

What you're saying actually makes no sense, if you're an extremely good support, it your damage dealers and tanks are shitty, you're not gonna "rocket up the rankings", trust me.

Soulflarz

Banned
It could be w/l contributing to the rank for comp vs actual number, now that I think about it.

What you're saying actually makes no sense, if you're an extremely good support, it your damage dealers and tanks are shitty, you're not gonna "rocket up the rankings", trust me.

See above. Statistically, you will, because you'll be acknowledged by the system as a great support. Your losses? 5-10% of your rank. Your wins? A full rank. And you won't lose 20 in a row.

This. I've seen countless Reins just tear through the other team themselves and lead us to victory. Shits jaw dropping. Tbh you can carry with any character if you're insanely good with them.

I was gonna make a Hanzo joke but I've seen it before.

I solo queued from 48 to 67 using pretty much all Roadhog.

Not sure where this Genji McCree thing is coming from. But it's not true.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
i just see QP as interesting experiences/situations and character building at this point. LOL I mean today we had a team TRY to attack King's Row all Hanzo, and then when we switched places they went 4 Junkrat, Mei, and Lucio on defense... it was a mess, but it was interesting? xD
It's not really character building when one side plays it as though it were a normal game and the other just:

TnEZa0X.gif

Manoko

Absolutely untrue.

Explain to me why I always get multiple gold medals as Zen (including fucking damage), Lucio, Roadhog, yet consistently lose games ?

There is absolutely no teamwork at 46, no one listens, no one types in chat, no one talks on the voice chat.
No one listen to the "group up" before rushing in, everyone respawns and doesn't wait for their teammates and rush in alone.

I'm telling you, you got extremely fucking lucky you never had teammates drag you that far down into the rankings.
Cause once you're there, unless you're a damage dealing god that can carry alone, no one is going to listen, no one is going to try and play as a team.

I play reaper and can hold top 300. Theres 70s on pc who did it as lucio. There are guys who have done it as tanks too.
You can.
This. I got top 500 when my top 5 most played heroes in comp are Lucio(#1 most played) and every tank but Winston.

To say only good Genjis and McCrees can rank up is totally absurd.

MartyStu

You guys saying solo queue is fine just got lucky on the teammate lottery.

Because it's not fine at all.
Just had a game where everyone was spamming "I need healing" while I was the only support as Zen, asked them all game long to pick another support to help on healing, no reply, no switch to support (they all switched to damage dealers all game long).

I stand by my word, unless you're very skilled at Genji/McCree, and can carry the games by yourself consistently, it's impossible to rank up as a solo queuer.

The match I just had and described put the nail in the coffin for me.
I hate to be that guy, but fuck those brain dead teammates, and fuck having to solo queue in a matchmaking system which punish you heavily for it.

Uhh, if you felt that strongly about the need for a healer, you should have played Mercy or Lucio. You should not scold others if you are not willing to make sacrifices yourself.

Manoko

I solo queued from 48 to 67 using pretty much all Roadhog.

Not sure where this Genji McCree thing is coming from. But it's not true.

Right, which is my point exactly.
Roadhog can solo carry because of his potentially high damage output and survivability.

You're a good Roadhog player, but try doing the same with a Lucio, or a Reinhardt. Heroes that need their teams to perform to really shine.

Explain to me why I always get multiple gold medals as Zen (including fucking damage), Lucio, Roadhog, yet consistently lose games ?

There is absolutely no teamwork at 46, no one listens, no one types in chat, no one talks on the voice chat.
No one listen to the "group up" before rushing in, everyone respawns and doesn't wait for their teammates and rush in alone.

I'm telling you, you got extremely fucking lucky you never had teammates drag you that far down into the rankings.
Cause once you're there, unless you're a damage dealing god that can carry alone, no one is going to listen, no one is going to try and play as a team.
See post about Rein above. DPS is not the only carry potential class.

Also, like said above, if you're solo healing as Zen, you should switch to a main healer like Lucio or Mercy otherwise you are just as much of a problem as them that you couldn't acknowledge it either.

Manoko

Uhh, if you felt that strongly about the need for a healer, you should have played Mercy or Lucio. You should not scold others if you are not willing to make sacrifices yourself.

I was playing support...
No one typed in chat, no one tried to switch according to what was needed. I was gold on damage and we needed discord because there were many tanks in the opposite time.

We just needed that fucking Hanzo doing nothing all game long to pick Lucio.

Right, which is my point exactly.
Roadhog can solo carry because of his potentially high damage output and survivability.

You're a good Roadhog player, but try doing the same with a Lucio, or a Reinhardt. Heroes that need their teams to perform to really shine.
Wait what? You were saying above that you were consistently losing games as Roadhog and that Genji/McCree are the only carry heroes and now you're saying that Roadhog can carry?

I'm starting to think its not your mates that are the problem if you have that mentality.

Manoko

See post about Rein above. DPS is not the only carry potential class.

Also, like said above, if you're solo healing as Zen, you should switch to a main healer like Lucio or Mercy otherwise you are just as much of a problem as them that you couldn't acknowledge it either.

We absolutely needed discord, more than half of the opposite team were tanks.

I know what I'm doing, I considered switching to Lucio but couldn't give up on discord considering the enemy comp.

Manoko

Wait what? You were saying above that you were consistently losing games as Roadhog and that Genji/McCree are the only carry heroes and now you're saying that Roadhog can carry?

I'm starting to think its not your mates that are the problem if you have that mentality.

I don't play one hero only like you do, I fill up the role needed in my team.

Most of the time, I mean 90% of the time, a support is needed.

I wish I could play selfishly like you do and simply carry. That's not how I think I'd benefit my team though, that's not how I feel competitive should be played either.

We absolutely needed discord, more than half of the opposite team were tanks.

I know what I'm doing, I considered switching to Lucio but couldn't give up on discord considering the enemy comp.
A main healer is still more important imo. If your team was losing anyways, why not just switch to Lucio and see what happens. Sometimes last second changes can make a huge difference, even if you're losing out on something important, like discord.

Again, Zen is a shit solo support. You should've switched to Lucio in the end.

The gold medal false positive has been talked about many times before.

I'm not saying you can't get bad teammates, but it's not all the time, and sometimes the opposite happens.

My ranking has gone 50->48->67->53->66->63
So I do have some notion what it feels like to have to get through the rough levels. Yea it sucks, it feels like half the time you steamroll and half the time you get steamrolled. But it's also not an accident that I've been able to get myself out of it two different times.

Lik is another example. Was stuck in the 50's for awhile. Even though we all thought he should be higher. And now he's 67. For the most part it seems to work itself out. If you truly belong at a higher rank then my advice is just to stick with it, you'll get there eventually.

"One hero"

Read my overbuff stats. My PSN is optimus8936.

You see if I really only play one hero. I understand team composition.

Soulflarz

Banned

Cause you're zen

Do your job and stop looking at medals.

Reaper can easily end bronze (or gold!) for damage done but they're usually solo kills so it's a completely moot point, stop looking for explanations as to why you should be a higher rank, especially when winning/losing isn't the only factor in your rankup

Anyone who solely looks at medals to see how they or their team is performing is playing the game wrong.

Like seriously, you can have a gold in elims with 8 kills. Medals mean nothing in the long run.

Manoko

A main healer is still more important imo. If your team was losing anyways, why not just switch to Lucio and see what happens. Sometimes last second changes can make a huge difference, even if you're losing out on something important, like discord.

Again, Zen is a shit solo support. You should've switched to Lucio in the end.

The most obvious solution would be one of the shitty damage dealers (and you'd find more than one trust me, I was gold on damage and elim as Zen, while being solo support) owning to his bad play and switching to Lucio.

Soulflarz

Banned
Anyone who solely looks at medals to see how they or their team is performing is playing the game wrong.

Medals matter
but if you're solo queue and losing...theres something else going on. Especially since it's borderline impossible to place 40s or low 50s if you're great. (I'm pretty sure most of us who started low-mid 50s and got to 65+ would probably have placed way higher now that we're better if we had that skill, even with losses and wins the same)

...see how you can improve, not how others around you can.

The most obvious solution would be one of the shitty damage dealers (and you'd find more than one trust me, I was gold on damage and elim as Zen, while being solo support) owning to his bad play and switching to Lucio.

again, looking at medals...and if you were solo support, go switch to Lucio.

Cause you're zen

Do your job and stop looking at medals.

Reaper can easily end bronze (or gold!) for damage done but they're usually solo kills so it's a completely moot point, stop looking for explanations as to why you should be a higher rank, especially when winning/losing isn't the only factor in your rankup

I think the point he was making was that he shouldn't have those medals if his teammates are doing they're jobs properly. I've gotten gold damage as Lucio once fore example. We had DPSes on the team. I'm pretty sure I was not the reason we lost that game.

Of course, those matches I find are few and far between, but maybe it's not the same for lower ranks.

brian!

ok i mean there is no quick solution like pick a better hero or forcing yourself onto the hero you think you can carry w/. it always boils down to try to do more than you did last game (not talking stats, talking map influence), make less mistakes, and don't get trapped in this awful hole of using your teammates to explain ur situation.

the idea that higher ranks are filled to the brim w/ ppl who escaped by grouping is Ludacris

the idea that a player is stuck at the 40s and their team is why, and that somehow the other team in the same mmr range is impervious to this is ludicrous too

and ppl don't really need to dogpile on ppl who feel like complaining in a thread that is prtty much 88% complaints

Waiting for your teammates to do what you want is not gonna work a lot of times. Also, some players might not even have chat on due to running into toxicity and not wanna deal with it. If your teammates ain't switching, then take charge and do it yourself. If you continue to wait for your teammates to do things and they don't at first , you'll just be waiting the whole match most times.

Manoko

Like seriously, you can have a gold in elims with 8 kills. Medals mean nothing in the long run.

I don't solely look at medals, I also see Reinhardt rushing in with their charge and getting killed by the enemy team while we needed their shield at a choke point.

I also see damage dealers running in solo when everyone else is dead, and getting picked off because they weren't smart enough to listen to the "group up" or understand that pushes in the game are done as a team.

Trust me, go to the 40's, you'll see plenty of things going wrongly.

I'm sorry, I thought I was quoting the Roadhog main replying to my posts too.

The message was for him.
Okay so you're more helpful to the team 'filling a role' with mediocre play is more valuable than me being a good Roadhog? Is tank not a role to fill?

My solo queue through the 40's and 50's motto was 'I'm not falling on the sword for these people' I'm going to play my best hero because that's our best chance to win the game. Seems to have worked out okay.

I'll happily grab a Lucio if I'm on a team or if people are talking in solo queue and are interested in actually making a good team comp.

Soulflarz

Banned
the idea that higher ranks are filled to the brim w/ ppl who escaped by grouping is Ludacris

the idea that a player is stuck at the 40s and their team is why, and that somehow the other team in the same mmr range is impervious to this is ludicrous too

and ppl don't really need to dogpile on ppl who feel like complaining in a thread that is prtty much 88% complaints

1) yep, but it does happen. There are groups of everyone being probably 55 who are 60-70 because they have some great teamwork together

2) yeeep, especially as a zen as their only support

3) Yeah, it's...a weird place right now, since this thread is always complaining (do I get a pass if I've called out everyone who complains about teammates :3)

Manoko

I think the point he was making was that he shouldn't have those medals if his teammates are doing they're jobs properly. I've gotten gold damage as Lucio once fore example. We had DPSes on the team. I'm pretty sure I was not the reason we lost that game.

Of course, those matches I find are few and far between, but maybe it's not the same for lower ranks.

Exactly !

When I see no one picking support at the beginning of the match.
Picking Lucio to fill up the team as well as possible, and getting gold on damage and/or elim, it's so fucking frustrating.

The damage dealers, the McCree, the Soldier 76, and most of all the Hanzo and Widow, are doing next to nothing if they lose on damage to a Lucio !

I don't solely look at medals, I also see Reinhardt rushing in with their charge and getting killed by the enemy team while we needed their shield at a choke point.

I also see damage dealers running in solo when everyone else is dead, and getting picked off because they weren't smart enough to listen to the "group up" or understand that pushes in the game are done as a team.

Trust me, go to the 40's, you'll see plenty of things going wrongly.
These exact DPS players and Reins are in the 60s and 70s too. Every rank will have shitty players no matter what.

Also, charging Reins can work if the rest of the team charges with him. I've won games becuase he took the initiative and rushed in and everyone followed because we had too.

Soulflarz

Banned
^charging rein is situational, I'll give him that, but it doesn't really matter to the original point at hand.

Exactly !

When I see no one picking support at the beginning of the match.
Picking Lucio to fill up the team as well as possible, and getting gold on damage and/or elim, it's so fucking frustrating.

The damage dealers, the McCree, the Soldier 76, and most of all the Hanzo and Widow, are doing next to nothing if they lose on damage to a Lucio !

I think the issue people have is you're describing fringe cases as every match you play and using it to describe why you are your rank, when countless people in this thread have shown that's not the case.

xaosslug

I wish I could play selfishly like you do and simply carry. That's not how I think I'd benefit my team though, that's not how I feel competitive should be played either.

no offence but, maybe, this is your problem? You're a Jack of all trades, and master of none... >.>

i can appreciate where you are coming from (I fill roles where they're needed as well, esp. if the character I usually play is taken), but sometimes it's better to be REALLY good at one character than sufficient as a handful?

i was in a group once where I chose to be Zenny (because I'm OK w/ him) and one of the other guys was D.Va (who I would have been, otherwise) with a guy questioning my choice to be Zenny, when he was Mercy 'already'. >.> One of the other guys explained to him that I usually play D.Va, and was being Zenny as a fall-back. So then the Mercy guy went on a whole diatribe about how he plays all characters, blahblah. It's like whatever. Just do your best! -__-

Manoko

Okay so you're more helpful to the team 'filling a role' with mediocre play is more valuable than me being a good Roadhog? Is tank not a role to fill?

My solo queue through the 40's and 50's motto was 'I'm not falling on the sword for these people' I'm going to play my best hero because that's our best chance to win the game. Seems to have worked out okay.

I'll happily grab a Lucio if I'm on a team or if people are talking in solo queue and are interested in actually making a good team comp.

Exactly the point I made earlier.

You guys are good enough at carry heroes so you just do your best with them every single time.

Try doing the same with Lucio please.
You wouldn't have had as much success.

Any character can carry. It just depends on who the player is behind the screen.

Also, there are people who are high rank by just playing Lucio.

brian!

i dont really mind complaints like everyone needs an outlet + this is a multiplayer thread on neogaf
i get a little weirded out by the eagerness of the internet to deny other ppls shit, like imagine someone coming home and being like "man im so tired it's so hot out too" and the someone responding "actually, it's not hot at all! ya dingus"

@the grouping thing, like it makes total sense to me that some ppl work better in a group than alone + matchmaking isn't perfect so you won't always get some sort of group mirroring yours on the other side. but in general, a non-full group will have some solo players on their team...the other side will have some sort of group/soloers...these soloers are winning/losing too...

like ideally there is a group losing and winning, and a bunch of soloers involved also winning/losing, but I'm sure there are a decent amount of games of grouped ppl vs. non-grouped ppl, I havent seen too many on pc tho

Blues1990

I was wondering if someone could give me some good tips with Lucio. On the one hand, I know I have to have the heroes in my F.O.V. to make sure they get the health boost and healing, and I know he's effective when wall ridding. But I feel like I'm not getting the most out of Lucio and his tool set.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Getting close to that news OT smell.

Overwatch |OT5| Winky Face ;)

That better not be the title.

I was wondering if someone could give me some good tips with Lucio. On the one hand, I know I have to have the heroes in my F.O.V. to make sure they get the health boost and healing, and I know he's effective when wall ridding. But I feel like I'm not getting the most out of Lucio and his tool set.

Stay behind your team so you don't die. Preferably behind the tanks. Also, don't forget that speed boost is a thing.

The feeling when you play Zarya so annoying to the enemy team that they specifically start picking you off and wasting their ults on you the second they notice your bubble is down.

TZhHZJU.gif

Exactly the point I made earlier.

You guys are good enough at carry heroes so you just do your best with them every single time.

Try doing the same with Lucio please.
You wouldn't have had as much success.
Well your answer is clear.

Get good with a 'carry' hero. It's so easy, shouldn't take you long.

I mean, like someone said earlier. If you're in the 40s or 50s and you can't get out of it, that's probably where you're meant to be and that is your general skill level.

There's only two ways to rise:
1.you were wrongly placed.
2.you improved your game enough

If you're stuck in one place, it probably means that that is your skill level and you're stuck there. You can't just automatically start blaming teammates.

Shouta

Yeah, Mercy's getting buffed. Expecting a slight change to her mobility that songnificantky impacts her popularity in a good way (so the D.va scenario) and a slight nerf to Zen because that shit's crazy.

It's probably what's gonna happen. It's a little worrying to me but that's probably just my fighting game-ness aching a bit at seeing things get changed so fast, lol.

Got a chance to read Anne's post from yesterday. (I think?) Time difference is fucking with me, lol. I do agree with the thoughts on the Zen/Lucio issue. I guess I just haven't had it be a huge issue for me. I see it fairly often in the Comp and QP and I haven't had a problem fighting against it but that's probably just because of the quality of players, lol.

Dealing with it with randoms is usually tough but with my friends, we usually end up using multiple attack vectors along with dropping things into their formation to disrupt them. It's why I'm actually quite fond of Junkrat because he has the ability to drop attacks past tanks onto the supports while keeping himself safe at a distance. If you're doing it right, you force the supports into a position where they have to respond to it instead of focus on the blitz offense. If they take too much damage, they waste resources on healing. If they don't want heal, you're still disrupting their march forward, etc.

It'd be easier to show if I had replays to show what I mean but since I don't stream right now. ;_;

brian!

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

this is kinda mobaish advice but try to manage your cooldowns in a way where they are always available when you need them, but also in a way where you are constantly using them. also certain team comps have a hard time dealing w/ one of those pillar-circling lucios

Manoko

Thanks for all the replies guys, even though we seem to disagree.

Maybe I'm just trash at the game, I just always try my best (and it seems to pay off, at least on the medals and how I feel I provide to my team) and fill the needed roles. According to some of you this isn't how the game is supposed to be played (the role filling) to win consistently, and that makes me think this game might not be for me.

I expected team play out of competitive and that's really not what you can find there, unless you're in a party of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom