• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Frame

For Competitive, is there any point to backing out of matchmaking if it takes a while? Or should I stay in?

I've been backing out once the timer hits 1 minute because I feel it may loosen the MMR to get me into a game, but sometimes I join a team with much higher SR than me, which I would like to avoid for now. I'm SR60.

Prelude.

instead of potentially nerfing Zenny's discord, they should just let you be able to remove it with a health pack or something.
The action of going away to pick a health pack will probably remove it before you even get there since it only takes 3 seconds of no los to remove it. The issue with discord is simply the insane debuff applied during a battle, not that it's hard to get rid of it.

In a game where high mobility reigns supreme, a hero that can buff your whole teams mobility is gud.

Pretty much this.

There are characters who are balanced out by being slower than usual, and Lucio helps to cancel that. His speedboost is killer.

Just like the difference between a capable Mercy and a good Mercy is how much time is spent doing things other than healing, the difference between a capable Lucio and a good one is how much time he has speedboost up.

Grisby

I'm so used to moving around with Zarya, Zenyatta, and Lucio, it's weird to move at lightning quick speeds as Tracer. But like you said, she's a blast to play.

No wonder she's the games official mascot.
Yeah, they made a good choice.

I'm just now starting to play Lucio and i really like Jet Set-ing around the entire map. Lucio for Jet Set Radio 3.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
but the problem with it, imo, is that unless you are Zarya peeps feel helpless/useless when it happens, if a universal way to remove it became available I think peeps would be able to deal better.

I just don't understand the difference. Grabbing a health pack usually involves getting out of LOS.

Anne

at least you are doing something instead of hiding behind a pillar? It's just a thought, anyway.

It just wouldn't stop any burst damage from hitting you. From the time you get hit by discord in an engage to the time you can die is like a second. If you live longer than like 3 seconds you're probably out of danger and removing it via health pack wouldn't have changed anything.

at least you are doing something instead of hiding behind a pillar? It's just a thought, anyway.
But that's a waste of a health pack when you can just lose LOS and let you're wounded teammates get it. If you don't lose LOS before you get the health pack, then the Zen can probably still see you and will just put another one on you and you just wasted a health pack.

Blues1990

Yeah, they made a good choice.

I'm just now starting to play Lucio and i really like Jet Set-ing around the entire map. Lucio for Jet Set Radio 3.

DJ Professor K's Brazilian nephew? Eh, I'll be down with such a crossover, as Lucio truly is Overwatch's "Jet Set Radio: The Character".

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I don't know why, but just in the last few days my winrate has plummeted. Like, I don't think I'm doing worse than usual, but my rank has dropped from 59 to 52 and my winrate from around 53% to under 50%.

Soulflarz

Banned
reminder overbuff hero rank isnt really based on your percentiles at all, especially if you check the percentages for what you do vs others.

I feel like tearing my hair out. I went something like 2 wins and 10 fucking losses in competitive last night. Now I'm not gonna say I'm all that great at this game but I like to think I'm good enough and know when to switch characters when needed. I also don't want to be "that guy" who blames his teammates but sweet momma I really feel like I was cursed last night. Every single game had awful people on my team that didn't want to change heroes, would leave after we'd go down 1 round, weren't the slightest bit aware of their surroundings, or just plain sucked balls. Even the one or two decent team comps we had couldn't get shit done because the other team was still just better.

I went from Rank 56 to 48 last night. Managed to get to 49 earlier. I think I need to take a break for a while.

ohkay

I feel like tearing my hair out. I went something like 2 wins and 10 fucking losses in competitive last night. Now I'm not gonna say I'm all that great at this game but I like to think I'm good enough and know when to switch characters when needed. I also don't want to be "that guy" who blames his teammates but sweet momma I really feel like I was cursed last night. Every single game had awful people on my team that didn't want to change heroes, would leave after we'd go down 1 round, weren't the slightest bit aware of their surroundings, or just plain sucked balls. Even the one or two decent team comps we had couldn't get shit done because the other team was still just better.

I went from Rank 56 to 48 last night. Managed to get to 49 earlier. I think I need to take a break for a while.
Just cut your losses while you're playing, don't go on tilt. If I lose 2 games in a row, I head over to quick play for a while.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but do the Season 1 rewards go off highest SR attained in the season, or the SR the player has once the deadline arrives?

xaosslug

It just wouldn't stop any burst damage from hitting you. From the time you get hit by discord in an engage to the time you can die is like a second. If you live longer than like 3 seconds you're probably out of danger and removing it via health pack wouldn't have changed anything.

suppose, you are standing next to a health pack when you are hit, tho? ;) I just think it would be nice to have the option, instead of basically being SOL until it wears off or Zarya shields you. T__T

But that's a waste of a health pack when you can just lose LOS and let you're wounded teammates get it. If you don't lose LOS before you get the health pack, then the Zen can probably still see you and will just put another one on you and you just wasted a health pack.

i really don't think it would matter how pointless it would seem, it would just be a way to make players feel less like a sitting duck/victim of Zen's.

Why do so many lucio players not use speed boost after the initial stretch of getting to the objective/payload?
Its like its permanently stuck after 1 use
://///
You could save alot of people from ults and make it easier for tanks to push.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but do the Season 1 rewards go off highest SR attained in the season, or the SR the player has once the deadline arrives?

Highest i believe.

Manoko

I strongly feel like solo queueing for competitive is just playing the lottery.
I've been having nothing but losses, always getting gold medals.

It's actually impossible to rank up while playing solo, unless you're a god at the game and can carry your team consistently.

What's the point ?
What frustrates me is that high ranked players will get a lot more competitive points, which is frustrating because they most likely didn't get there by solo queueing, yet are out against mostly solo queues according to my experience.

I'm putting down Overwatch for good I think.
The core gameplay is really fun, but the competitive experience is just one of the shittiest I've ever seen on a competitive AAA game.

Good luck to all of you, you'll need it, getting paired with good/bad teammates is actually a coin flip, just like Blizzard's brain dead sudden death system.

Man Zarya is so damn fun. I just wish people understood she works best with a second tank, even if that tank is Winston.
I think if I got to play in a team that already has a tank, I'd play Zarya quite a lot. She's my favourite character.

I strongly feel like solo queueing for competitive is just playing the lottery.
I've been having nothing but losses, always getting gold medals.

It's actually impossible to rank up while playing solo, unless you're a god at the game and can carry your team consistently.

What's the point ?
What frustrates me is that high ranked players will get a lot more competitive points, which is frustrating because they most likely didn't get there by solo queueing, yet are out against mostly solo queues according to my experience.

I'm putting down Overwatch for good I think.
The core gameplay is really fun, but the competitive experience is just one of the shittiest I've ever seen on a competitive AAA game.

Good luck to all of you, you'll need it, getting paired with good/bad teammates is actually a coin flip, just like Blizzard's brain dead sudden death system.

I'd wait until season 2 starts before proclaiming you'll never play again. I have a feeling they're going to drastically change some things, especially the way competitive functions.

Sidenote: Solo queue blows, you gotta at the minimum duo-queue to enjoy this game.

Soulflarz

Banned
There's like only 2 guys playing right now in my list. Gonna take a nap and see who's on later.

Try solo queue, it generally works actually. I haven't queued with more than two people in awhile (minus one day) and it's surprisingly easy still. It helps that Lucio is braindead if no one wants to play him and hes needed as a quick switch.

edit: lol post above me saying the opposite
Plenty of the top is all solo queue guys!

40 seconds to take Hanamura A to win the match.
That was great. Made it to 64.
So close yet so far.

Sub 1m30s wins in general make me happy.

AngryMoth

5 v 6 sudden death on Gibraltar. Thought we only had to make it to the first checkpoint. I'm jubilant as we push it over the line in overtime, thinking this will b an unlikely end to my losing streak, only to realise actually it's actually the second point you need to make it to on that map. Dropped out of the 50's :'(

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
As someone who has solo queue'd 90% of his comp games. Solo queueing is fine. Just go in with the right mindset, and you'll be okay.

As someone who has solo'd queue'd 100% of her comp games..and QP games...learn to love the forty's, because once you there, you there for life...=(

Soulflarz

Banned
As someone who has solo queue'd 90% of his comp games. Solo queueing is fine. Just go in with the right mindset, and you'll be okay.

The only time it doesn't work is if your playstyle requires a specific group around you (which most DPS theoretically don't)

meaning if say, I was reaper and required a zen pocket healing me- an awful choice- and was extremely aggressive off that, it would be very difficult to go into solo queue

I'd also suggest at least understanding one of every class type.

I don't know if this has already been known, but I'm still gonna post it anyways:

So awhile back Kor asked when Overbuff figured out your percentiles for your characters and I responded "4 hours in QP and 1 hour in comp."

I think I was wrong on this. I was looking at my stats and noticed that I had more hours with Tracer than Mercy, yet Mercy had a percentile while Tracer didn't. I noticed Tracer had 29 games to Mercys 31. So I looked into comp. My Roadhog has 13 games and a percentile while Rein has 9 games and no percentile. I scrolled further down and saw that my Zarya had a percentile with less time played than Rein, but 10 games instead of 9.

So basically it works like this, I think:
QP: 30 games for percentile to show.
Competitive: 10 games for percentile to show.

Soulflarz

Banned
I don't know if this has already been known, but I'm still gonna post it anyways:

So awhile back Kor asked when Overbuff figured out your percentiles for your characters and I responded "4 hours in QP and 1 hour in comp."

I think I was wrong on this. I was looking at my stats and noticed that I had more hours with Tracer than Mercy, yet Mercy had a percentile while Tracer didn't. I noticed Tracer had 29 games to Mercys 31. So I looked into comp. My Roadhog has 13 games and a percentile while Rein has 9 games and no percentile. I scrolled further down and saw that my Zarya had a percentile with less time played than Rein, but 10 games instead of 9.

So basically it works like this, I think:
QP: 30 games for percentile to show.
Competitive: 10 games for percentile to show.

Your percentile also means nothing, since QP is affected by comp and your rank affects it like crazy, and if I suddenly switched to say, a Mei main, I'd be top 2% even with around 30% for all my averages. I've seen this quite a few times, especially in friends who were groups that got taken to 60s and their stats showed them at mid 50s.

It shouldn't take more skill/practice to play at a lower rank.

It does if you need to change your playstyle to get out of the 40s, theoretically.

Your percentile also means nothing, since QP is affected by comp and your rank affects it like crazy, and if I suddenly switched to say, a Mei main, I'd be top 2% even with around 30% for all my averages. I've seen this quite a few times.

I'm pretty sure it counts QP and Comp separately unless I missed something.

It does if you need to change your playstyle to get out of the 40s, theoretically.

Fair enough.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Quick Play has become idiot central and I try to give the community benefit of the doubt, but fuck. In the last 3 games:

2 Tanks, 2 Healers and Defensive Characters on Offense
3 Mercy Defense and a Hanzo
Offensive Torbjorn

5rdp16y.gif

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm pretty sure it counts QP and Comp separately unless I missed something.

QP doesn't affect comp. Comp affects QP. I had a streak where I didn't play QP at all for 2 weeks and every time I ranked up in comp I had drastic jumps in my QP stats and the icon said weekly average for all my stats was skyrocketing. (when I went mid 60s to mid 70s)

and re the other point: theres no shame in admitting "I don't know how to do this stuff at the level others do" necessarily, especially since a lot of us have silly amounts of time on shooters so we understand movement patterns. I understand map control and how to move around to get the jump, so I really love playing Reaper! We can all improve though.

Your percentile also means nothing, since QP is affected by comp and your rank affects it like crazy, and if I suddenly switched to say, a Mei main, I'd be top 2% even with around 30% for all my averages. I've seen this quite a few times, especially in friends who were groups that got taken to 60s and their stats showed them at mid 50s.

Except you can't get top 2% right away becuase, like I said, it takes 30 games in QP to show it, so by then you will have some solid numbers and it won't be solely based off of a couple of really good matches.

xaosslug

Quick Play has become idiot central and I try to give the community benefit of the doubt, but fuck. In the last 3 games:

Offensive Torbjorn

5rdp16y.gif

i just see QP as interesting experiences/situations and character building at this point. LOL I mean today we had a team TRY to attack King's Row all Hanzo, and then when we switched places they went 4 Junkrat, Mei, and Lucio on defense... it was a mess, but it was interesting? xD

Soulflarz

Banned
Except you can't get top 2% right away becuase, like I said, it takes 30 games in QP to show it, so by then you will have some solid numbers and it won't be solely based off of a couple of really good matches.

Yeah, but I meant moreso for rank showing it. As in, I can place really high on the scale with characters I'm not the top 2% with solely because of my rank. It's weighted like crazy and I hate it.

Also, comp affecting QP means nothing when QP can have stuff like this VVVV

Offensive Torbjorn

5rdp16y.gif

Yeah, but I meant moreso for rank showing it. As in, I can place really high on the scale with characters I'm not the top 2% with solely because of my rank. It's weighted like crazy and I hate it.
How can QP stats be weighted by comp rank when the two things are separated on Overbuff?

ISOM

I think I just played against the salties player ever. Dude was complaining about everything because he was losing.

If a level 60 player was suddenly dropped into the 40's I think they'd win at least 70% of their games and rocket up the rankings. There is a chance that you guys are just right where you should be.

Soulflarz

Banned
How can QP stats be weighted by comp rank when the two things are separated on Overbuff?

on the weighting, I meant in general, might only be on comp side for the percentile. Friend was top 2% for his character and never had more than top 20% for any given stat in the 60s (was a tank iirc?)

I do know comp performance affects QP stats though, because my averages went up when I only played comp.

Manoko

You guys saying solo queue is fine just got lucky on the teammate lottery.

Because it's not fine at all.
Just had a game where everyone was spamming "I need healing" while I was the only support as Zen, asked them all game long to pick another support to help on healing, no reply, no switch to support (they all switched to damage dealers all game long).

I stand by my word, unless you're very skilled at Genji/McCree, and can carry the games by yourself consistently, it's impossible to rank up as a solo queuer.

The match I just had and described put the nail in the coffin for me.
I hate to be that guy, but fuck those brain dead teammates, and fuck having to solo queue in a matchmaking system which punish you heavily for it.

Soulflarz

Banned
If a level 60 player was suddenly dropped into the 40's I think they'd win at least 70% of their games and rocket up the rankings. There is a chance that you guys are just right where you should be.

Yeah but lets be honest no one likes acknowledging this, which leads to the whole "f my teammate" mentality, because the only real way to prove you deserve your rank is cut your queue group and solo queue, on average you'll be going up. If you can hold your rank at solo or even dual queue, you probably deserve your rank. Besides that, it starts to get a bit more muddy.

You guys saying solo queue is fine just got lucky on the teammate lottery.

Because it's not fine at all.
Just had a game where everyone was spamming "I need healing" while I was the only support as Zen, asked them all game long to pick another support to help on healing, no reply, no switch to support (they all switched to damage dealers all game long).

I stand by my word, unless you're very skilled at Genji/McCree, and can carry the games by yourself consistently, it's impossible to rank up as a solo queuer.

I play reaper and can hold top 300. Theres 70s on pc who did it as lucio. There are guys who have done it as tanks too.
You can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom