• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

1-3 isn't really something to get worked up over in KotH. You won one round, I don't know how close the other rounds were, but your team was outplayed. I'm sure some of your teammates could have pulled more weight, but come on, it's not like you got paired with people who just rolled over and died. I've had KotH matches with randoms where we lose with 0% objective for all rounds and me and maybe another person are usually the only ones on the objective. Those are shit games. If I win one round, lose the others but tried to fight as much as I could, I consider those good games, even if we're outplayed.

Trickster

Well, nobody is willing to play support. So, can't stop, won't stop!

This is one of the things that immediately soured me on competitive. Was pretty much forced to go healer for all my placement matches because everyone else was busy picking whatever the hell they wanted to play the most and then performing like shit most of the time.

Said fuck that and went back to quick play

PatjuhR

I can't understand why the difference between teams when it's a tie isn't time-based.

Now we had to play 5 rounds of Hakamura instead of 2.

PatjuhR

This is one of the things that immediately soured me on competitive. Was pretty much forced to go healer for all my placement matches because everyone else was busy picking whatever the hell they wanted to play the most and then performing like shit most of the time.

I've had the complete opposite. The healer is almost the first one picked in my matches. I played 17 or 18 and I think I played only one as healer, because it would be one of the first ones picked all the time.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah people are pretty ready to pick Healer in comp in my experience.

I sometimes switch to healer mid round just so they can switch up to if they want.

duckroll

In the KotH matches I've played in comp, someone has always offered to swap with me on support after two rounds. It's nice.

I'd say I'm split about 60-40 for healing vs non-healing in comp (when I'm in solo-queue). When I'm grouping with 3+ people, its probably closer to 50-50 or 40-60, unless we queue with one of our medic mains.

Good night tonight, lost I think only one, we almost lost a koth match but pulled it back like mad 3-2. Gained a rank, up to 62.75. Ran into a really good Hog who was luckily on our team, making really good pulls, basically won us a defense on Numbani.

Played a bit of Zen, still can't hit my shots reliably enough but man if you can coordinate people on a discorded pharra or tracer, your problems become far easier to manage

Trickster

I've had the complete opposite. The healer is almost the first one picked in my matches. I played 17 or 18 and I think I played only one as healer, because it would be one of the first ones picked all the time.

Either I have been unlucky with people or you've been lucky. I had to play as a healer in probably 8-9 of my placement matches. People were just dumb as fuck. In the very first placement match I remember someone on my team actually choosing mercy, then after losing first objective quickly I had to switch to mercy myself because apparently the other guy felt a tracer would be a bigger assett to our team than a healer. And you can be dammn sure he didn't say he switched either. I healed my ass off that game and we still lost. Then the idiot started flaming the rest of us, calling us noobs in all caps etc....

Competitive is just shit tbh. If you win, congrats, you are 1/300th closer to being able to unlock a single ugly skin. Matches are just needlessly long and drawn out. People are extra salty know-it-alls. And being stuck on the losing side in these long games is just incredibly unfun. At least in quick play it'll be over after a few minutes and you can leave the team of wankers. In competitive you can be stuck with them for like 20 minutes.

I don’t mind too much because Lucio is pretty fun to play compared to someone like Mercy. Lucio allows me to be aggressive, sometimes I get too aggressive at times and I pay for it. Lucio has a much better playstyle for me personally than Mercy. Mercy depends way too much on your team and when you play with randoms, that’s not something I like to chance. Plus Mercy is pretty boring for me. It’s very passive, it's just a lot of sitting back waiting for the rez.

Hit rank 52 tonight but it's going to go down from here, I can feel it in my gut. No one picked support this time around so I played Mercy and she was actually really fun to play as - usually I just go Lucio. Kind of disappointed in the choice of skins for her, though.

Antiwhippy

Hit rank 52 tonight but it's going to go down from here, I can feel it in my gut. No one picked support this time around so I played Mercy and she was actually really fun to play as - usually I just go Lucio. Kind of disappointed in the choice of skins for her, though.

By disappointed do you mean having the best epic skins in the game?

Antiwhippy

Got her sigrun skin yesterday which is pretty sweet. Love her devil/imp too.

Honestly though, there just aren't a lot of great skins in this game. I'm sitting on like 4000 gold right now just waiting for the next costume update.

I've got a bit over 2k and am pretty much sitting on it as well. I know that as soon as I decide to blow it, some badass new skins are going to get released. I really hope they do some Warcraft crossover stuff... I'd love a Death Knight Reinhardt, dwarf Torbjorn, etc.

Please Blizzard.

Danj

there just aren't a lot of great skins in this game

I respectfully disagree. Several of the legendary and epic skins are great IMO.

My personal favourites (though the vast majority of these I do not own yet) would be:

Steampunk / Overgrown Bastion
Junker / Scavenger / White Rabbit D.va
Literally any Mei skin because Mei is bae
Imp / Valkyrie Mercy
Mechaqueen Pharah
El Blanco / Mariachi Reaper
Any Legendary Reinhardt
Devi / Goddess Symmetra
Barbossa / Blackbeard Torbjorn
Sporty / Punk Tracer
Odette / Odile / Comtesse Widowmaker

For me I think one of the appeals of a skin is if it is radically different to a character's usual appearance or personality in some way. Skins that give alternate voice lines for stuff like the Ult etcetera are also cool.

Antiwhippy

But that's like, only had the characters.

Also i dunno, i prefer the purple skins for pharrah (white Anubis) and reinhardt (camo with head exposed).

Kito

So is Tracer the new meta? Seems I see one every game now. Does she even have a hard counter? If I'm playing Mercy I'm constantly getting harassed by the annoying cunt.

Git gud with Mercy's pistol and aim for headshots. With only 150hp, any damage Tracer takes is significant. As soon as you see her, stop healing, get your pistol out, don't wait for teammate protection, or your health to get to 1hp before reacting.

Counter/strong against tracer:
roadhog (hook, short cooldown, plus able to outheal her DPS while healing, gunfire can take her down in 1 solid shot too)
Lucio (but not for killing 1v1 typically in my experience, but he can self heal and knock back to really interrupt her dps, plus the damage off his primary fire can force her to back off)
Zarya (prevents her picks, plus instant damage from left click, kinda like lucio not exactly a killer of tracer but that is tracer's strong point)

Also I'd say these do okay, depending on the situation:
McCree
Pharah
Junkrat
soldier 76

I think there might be more noteworthy characters. It's hard to say someone hard counters tracer because her strong point is survivability. It's really burst damage that counters tracer hard. And I don't think enough people have learned tracer because once you do you'll pick up on a lot of tips of how to deal with tracer as well.

I counter Tracers on attack and koth with Symmetra. Turrets deter her from overextending or make her switch altogether.

I once joined a team on Anubis attack with 2 minutes left being spawn camped by a crazy Tracer, so I switched to Symmetra and won them the game with bronze elims. Epic card followed.

moerser

I've got a bit over 2k and am pretty much sitting on it as well. I know that as soon as I decide to blow it, some badass new skins are going to get released. I really hope they do some Warcraft crossover stuff... I'd love a Death Knight Reinhardt, dwarf Torbjorn, etc.

Please Blizzard.

damn, i never thought about that. warcraft crossover skins would really be sweet. now i want that. like, NOW.

Just played through a competitive match where half the character assets just didn't load. So I couldn't see enemies, teammates, my own character or my own UI. What the fuck, Blizzard?

ZeroX03

Banned
Have Blizzard indicated whether or not they're going to add more Sound options? Their current options aren't great, they really need an option to properly choose input/outputs.

damn, i never thought about that. warcraft crossover skins would really be sweet. now i want that. like, NOW.

I feel like it's going to happen - the only question is when? I mean, they give you pets in WoW, wings in D3, and portraits in SC2 for buying their games so they've gotta give their fans something for Overwatch in the future.

Copenap

I feel like it's going to happen - the only question is when? I mean, they give you pets in WoW, wings in D3, and portraits in SC2 for buying their games so they've gotta give their fans something for Overwatch in the future.
Feels like they wanted OW to first establish its own identity before merging other lore into the game.

bitoriginal

I've not been keeping up with this thread, but have Blizz mentioned anything about changing the way the 1/15th rank up thing works when players from the other team leaves in competitive? It's really irritating me that I'm being punished for other players trying to avoid a rank down at the end of a match when my team have legitimately played well.

I've been stuck at rank 54 because in literally every game that I won last night, players from the other team left right at the end. Every time I lost, I went down a rank, yet trying to rank up was nigh on impossible. Really annoying.

Antiwhippy

Gotta say though, I've grown to like young hanzo and young genji skins because whenever I see them together I imagine a backstory of a stoner skater living with his otaku dork brother.

The "I need healing emote" is the most useless thing in the world. I know you need healing. Yo, I need healing too! I'm spending all my time running away from Genji and Tracer. You want me to go around trying to get in line of sight to heal you? How about you come to me and kill tracer while you're at it before you complain about heals. If you were anywhere near the objective where I am you would already be healed

Yeah I'm going to take a break for the night

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Sylvanas skin for Hanzo. I know it doesn't make sense, but he's the only one with a bow!

Rixxan

dropped from 66 to 60, and climbed back to 66

feel like its gonna require a ton of luck to hit mid 70's, at least if i continue to solo queue

regardless, and despite its flaws, im enjoying competitive mode

its at least, on average, a more team orientated variant of overwatch (moreso than quickplay i mean)

Forkball

Almost every match is just one team having a clear advantage the entire game, until choking after the other team puts on their big boy pants for one last push in the final five seconds of the round.

The "I need healing emote" is the most useless thing in the world. I know you need healing. Yo, I need healing too! I'm spending all my time running away from Genji and Tracer. You want me to go around trying to get in line of sight to heal you? How about you come to me and kill tracer while you're at it before you complain about heals. If you were anywhere near the objective where I am you would already be healed

Yeah I'm going to take a break for the night

I had this Reinhardt that just kept spamming it constantly the other day. The guy really didn't speak English so he just emoted a lot. It was annoying because he had plenty of health a majority of the time.

So, I just started spamming it back as Lucio. lol

Interfectum

I usually spam it when no one picks a healer.

But that's like, only had the characters.

Also i dunno, i prefer the purple skins for pharrah (white Anubis) and reinhardt (camo with head exposed).

The patina Widowmaker is also purple (best skin for her) and I think I like the golden (actual color, purple tier) Soldier:76 more than his legendaries.

PatjuhR

Leavers are annoying as hell. If you are losing, try to learn from it while you can to do better next time.

And if you can't finish what you started you should have played Quick Play or Rocket League.

LiK

Kinda sucks when you're in a good group and then one or two guys says they're leaving and then everyone disbands. I was close to ranking up again.

abundant

Leavers are annoying as hell. If you are losing, try to learn from it while you can to do better next time.

And if you can't finish what you started you should have played Quick Play or Rocket League.

To be fair, not every leaver who doesn't rejoin is a rage quitter. On multiple occasions, someone in my group got DC'd and the Blizzard servers wouldn't let then reconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom