• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

It's kinda amazing how trash randoms can be at this game, like completely worthless. If it was some other game, I would understand, not everyone can aim well, etc etc. but being like completely oblivious of your surrounding or where your teammates are? Maybe it's me that play with headphones on with atmos enabled, it's like impossible to not notice someone is flanking, or keep going into the same death trap again and again? It's like brain isn't used at all, I don't care about their mechanical skills, just think a little about what you're doing, it makes a huge difference.

The other thing I noticed recently is that, there are so many little kids playing on PC, like that's somewhat surprising. /rant

Zemm

It's kinda amazing how trash randoms can be at this game, like completely worthless. If it was some other game, I would understand, not everyone can aim well, etc etc. but being like completely oblivious of your surrounding or where your teammates are? Maybe it's me that play with headphones on with atmos enabled, it's like impossible to not notice someone is flanking, or keep going into the same death trap again and again? It's like brain isn't used at all, I don't care about their mechanical skills, just think a little about what you're doing, it makes a huge difference.

The other thing I noticed recently is that, there are so many little kids playing on PC, like that's somewhat surprising. /rant

Yep the situational awareness, or lack of it is shocking. There are loads of classes in the game that don't require great aim to do really well with, you just need some good situational awareness with them. I'm guessing these people haven't played CS at all. Although I don't even know how that stops them hearing Reaper stomping behind them but oh well.

Prelude.

Yeah, the leavers issue's not fixed. It used to give me a decent amount of exp, but now it's back to almost nothing.
Pretty frustrating since we had a lengthy match on Anubis.

spootime

Widow is an odd champion, when I do 5-6 man shes great because you can coordinate on a pick, but in solo q absolutely no joy at all, she seems too slow and people very rarely collapse on a 5v6, at least in the 50's elo rankings. Shame because shes really fun but I do believe she needs a team in most cases.

I only play her on offense, she's very good at getting a quick pick on a squishy to open up a site regardless of the quality of your team.

mellow

I'm getting leavers CONSTANTLY it's kinda ridiculous now, they don't even play out a round, like just now on Volskaya defense, we lost the first objective and 2 people quit instantly, round 1. Sigh. Comp is pretty worthless unless you're running a full team.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting leavers CONSTANTLY it's kinda ridiculous now, they don't even play out a round, like just now on Volskaya defense, we lost the first objective and 2 people quit instantly, round 1. Sigh. Comp is pretty worthless unless you're running a full team.

The leaver penalty needs to be way harsher.

Ramirez

Nice! Have you been sticking to Zarya for solo?

I'm too afraid to try solo queuing competitive but a 2 or 3 stack should be okay. Haven't been on the last few days too much but I'll be on more soon.

There was a healthy dose of Zarya, yes. lol

I also had to play healer a lot as well, which I don't mind if I'm playing with good slayers.

abundant

That's not always the case. Leavers are also a problem (although not as big of one) in group play.

I had a Mercy (me) + Roadhog combo that was insanely effective earlier today. With the d amage boost, Roadhog can easily kill any 200 health hero with a proper hook.

There's a very simple solution for the leaver problem. If you're in a group, and you have someone in your group leave, then losses are losses. If you're not in a group, or if you're in a group that also has some pugs and one of the pugs leaves, then the loss is not a true loss. Voila. No worries about groups abusing and distributing loss penalties by rotating the leaver role.

Woops, edit for typo.

Hollywood. Mercy was fine on the team but the heals weren't effective for the rest of the team. mercy + Lucio was much better. glad i switched. ended up taking a win on Attack. then we defended. we held that first point very well with just me as lucio. ranked up too. another win and i rank up again.

abundant

There's a very simple solution for the leaver problem. If you're in a group, and you have someone in your group leave, then losses are losses. If you're not in a group, or if you're in a group that also has some pugs and one of the pugs leaves, then the loss is a true loss. Voila. No worries about groups abusing and distributing loss penalties by rotating the leaver role.

The simple solution is if someone leaves in the middle of the match, the winning team doesn't get penalized. That's it, nothing complex.

Hollywood. Mercy was fine on the team but the heals weren't effective for the rest of the team. mercy + Lucio was much better. glad i switched. ended up taking a win on Attack. then we defended. we held that first point very well with just me as lucio. ranked up too. another win and i rank up again.

Ever since Competitive came out, my groups almost always run Lucio + Mercy when attacking.

eMpTy23

Hi, I'm looking for people to play with. I play quick play and matchmaking.

You can see the heroes I like to play below along with my stats. I pretty much only play those heroes. I have a mic which I rarely use, but I'll try to get into the habit of talking more if that's what you want. Usually I only play a game or two before logging off. Weekends may be an exception to that.

Please add me if you're looking for another person to play with!
quickspot#1655 North America
EDIT: PC player

0kZDj5x.jpg

Vitanimus

competitive makes me want to tear my hair out

10 seconds before we win the game "A PLAYER HAS LEFT THE GAME" and I got a tiny rank gain. lose next 2 games. lose 2 whole ranks. feelsgoodman

Two Winstons on the team "hey guys I had gold damage what's up?". Oh I dunno, maybe the fucking Widowmaker and Genji destroying our team that you have completely ignored even though you're the both the best class to deal with them.

Some people are just fucking useless, stop looking at the stats and think about playing your role maybe.

Yeah, I have that problem a lot, where I'm playing with randoms and there's one character on the enemy team who keeps screwing us over, and I think "Well, this Bastion is killing us, so I should probably pick Genji and... oh, wait, there's already a Genji on our team." I probably should get over it, but part of me always feels bad about stacking a counter character, because it feels like I'm telling the other player, "Sorry, but you obviously aren't doing your job, so I'll do it better!" Especially when I end up not doing it any better than them.

Just played against 4 torbs on Numbani. How did Blizzard think this shit was a good idea? It's boring and absolutely frickin annoying. They better remove hero stacking for competitive, I don't want to always have to deal wit this, double Zarya, double Winston, double tracer, etc.

X-Frame

I don't understand what is going on in people's heads when they leave literally 10 seconds before we are either going to lose or hold Overtime.

Are their lives so busy that 10 seconds is too precious for them?

The leaver problem reminds me of Dead by Daylight. The winners ranks are getting punished for the other side's rage quitters.

I don't know how the devs of either game thought this was a good idea.

Oh hey, I haven't played competitive Overwatch in a week. Maybe it's better today.

Play Hollywood on attack, we get in pretty well. Then someone on our team goes AFK for the rest of the match because reasons? We still hold a defense together for longer than the other team, go to sudden death, coinflip to defense. We lose. I drop a full rank's worth to the lower part of 43 and my record since placement is now 12-30. This despite getting three golds, one of which was Objective Kills, and a bronze in total eliminations while playing as Lucio and MERCY. But besides that, we totally could've won it if not for the jerk who decided to afk WHILE WE WERE WINNING. WINNING.

I guess it's back to "fuck you Overwatch."

Prelude.

Mei's kit is the most toxic shit in the game. It is the antithesis of fun.
I think Junkrat's way worse. Every single skill he has is annoying.
Standard bombs that kill you randomly while he's in a safe spot, mine that can be set up as a trap (with basically invisible traps) or to get away from a close enemy immediately, can reach high places thanks to that as well and without taking damage. Even when you kill him he drops bombs on the ground.

Oh hey, I haven't played competitive Overwatch in a week. Maybe it's better today.

Play Hollywood on attack, we get in pretty well. Then someone on our team goes AFK for the rest of the match because reasons? We still hold a defense together for longer than the other team, go to sudden death, coinflip to defense. We lose. I drop a full rank's worth to the lower part of 43 and my record since placement is now 12-30. This despite getting three golds, one of which was Objective Kills, playing as Lucio and MERCY. But besides that, we totally could've won it if not for the jerk who decided to afk WHILE WE WERE WINNING. WINNING.

I guess it's back to "fuck you Overwatch."
lol, I had someone go afk during sudden death yesterday. He came back when we were 10 seconds away from losing.

abundant

I don't understand what is going on in people's heads when they leave literally 10 seconds before we are either going to lose or hold Overtime.

Are their lives so busy that 10 seconds is too precious for them?

If they are going to lose (and this is Competitive), then they are sore losers wanting to stick it to the winning team. Why Blizzard thought that this would be a good system is beyond me.

AngryMoth

Bought the game at launch thinking my laptop would be able to run it ok...wrong. Played a bit but my performance was pretty bad so it put me off.

Well I decided to double dip on ps4 since this is my kind of game and everyone has been talking about it. And yeah, it's super fun. This kind of shooter with so many different gameplay styles and strategies is much more fun to me than the traditional ones.

I've mostly been using Zarya, D.Va, Mercy and Lucio. Actually doing quite well, I got a 20 kill streak with D.Va earlier today. Looking forward to unlocking competitive. I find more often than not I'm forced to play support because nobody else wants to.

is there a site with data for winning percentages for attack and defense on specific maps? or even for just attack/defense. does defense win way more often?

talking about quickplay

CoLaN

Honestly, im all for competitive mode but the current iteration is really bad.

At the end of the day this is a videogame, it shouldn't ever be THAT frustrating because of some design issues.

I'm starting to think that the beta version of competitive was actually better than this.

X-Frame

If they are going to lose (and this is Competitive), then they are sore losers wanting to stick it to the winning team. Why Blizzard thought that this would be a good system is beyond me.

Forgot to mention, it was Quick Play -- so makes even less sense.

is there a site with data for winning percentages for attack and defense on specific maps? or even for just attack/defense. does defense win way more often?

talking about quickplay

I'm not sure, but defense is getting its ass kicked in quickplay ever since people figured out Bastion isn't that hard to deal with and Widowmaker got nerfed.

jorgejjvr

When you spend all day to get to competitive level 56...

To then throw it away and go below where you started at 53....

This game man. It was hard going to bed like that lol

Apathy

lol, guy at the start of the match convinces 3 others to go hanzo, and was calling the two of us that didn't shit, we start the game, thoroughly stopped the whole game, we get to the end hes bitching and complaining how we suck blah blah blah. hes like "i got all the gold medals", get to the cards, nope, not a single card, still going off. why the hell did blizzard remove avoid player? Who the fuck cares if the 0.01% have trouble, hell I got queued in with people I set to avoid anyway, so can they and they can wait, why the hell do the rest of us have to suffer with shitty people

El Sloth

Banned
I accidentally smurfed the other day and was a total jerk (on purpose), and probably to a bunch of kids.

I was over my brother's place and decided to play a couple of games while I waited for him. I didnt feel like signing in so I just used his account. After getting in a game I realized he, and everyone that gets matched up with him, are really low level. I ended up using one of the gimmick jerk Symmetra strats I've always wanted to try. We were on Dorado on Defense and I line up all her turrets in a long arch around the main door at their spawn, taking care to put some decent distance between them. The other team was absolutely baffled. They just kept rushing through the main door. Occasionally they dropped down from the top to meet the same laser-y fate. By the end a few of them started to catch on and went around the sides to destory my turrets, but it was too little too late. We kept them at their spawn for the entire game. Got my bro a few achiemenets in that one game lol.

In the next game I just played rushdown Reinhardt wildly swinging my hammer getting 30+ eliminations.

In conclusion, this game has revealed I'm actually a no good, dirty, rotten old bully.

So based on the lore tease Blizzard released with Torbjorn and Mercy discussing her rifle prototype, I'm guessing the new character is going to be some kind of long-range debuffer or status effect character.

Mercy seems scared that biotics like hers could be used offensively, to harm rather than to heal. So I'm guessing that's exactly what this new character does.

Maybe super effective vs shields and whatnot, but low squishy damage output? Or poison doing low DPS over time?

El Sloth

Banned
Is it too late for me to jump in on console?
my experience with my brother's account was that there are still plenty of new and low level people playing on consoles. I was also finding games much faster on his account then I do with my own.

Apathy

Can zen just please be taken off support already. Hes garbage and people still want to play him as a solo healer. Just give him another dps shit, take away his healing and get him out of support. Even if they buff his health hes still going to be shit.

Vestal

Can zen just please be taken off support already. Hes garbage and people still want to play him as a solo healer. Just give him another dps shit, take away his healing and get him out of support. Even if they buff his health hes still going to be shit.

Zen falls into the Symmetra category really.. Instead of giving out a teleport he can Debuff and DPS like a mad man while still tossing a moderate heal here and there, and a ridiculous ULT that can be a game changer at times.

I think Junkrat's way worse. Every single skill he has is annoying.
Standard bombs that kill you randomly while he's in a safe spot, mine that can be set up as a trap (with basically invisible traps) or to get away from a close enemy immediately, can reach high places thanks to that as well and without taking damage. Even when you kill him he drops bombs on the ground.

I haven't played in weeks, but I always loved tossing a remote mine at people and detonating it in mid-air. That was usually a guaranteed kill.

Skii

No, everyone is still terrible, just slightly less so or terrible in a different way.

They're basically not going to fix it until next season I believe. The biggest tweak is that enemy team leavers will no longer affect the skill calculation (and hence the rank you earn when you beat them).

That sucks :(

I basically dropped Overwatch because there was this one game on Route 66 that just pushed me over the edge. I was forced to push the payload as Pharah whilst I had a Reaper on my team using long range shots (???), a Mercy who only had her pistol out and Hanzo who was constantly getting destroyed by the opposition's widowmaker. No one was on the payload except me. Obviously we didn't even make it past the 2nd checkpoint.

Auctopus

I've been racking my brain since release but I can't figure out why Widowmaker's grapple hook cool down has to be so long. Does anyone know?

Getting better with Widow. Managed to headshot a bunny Lucio on speed mode the other day. So satisfying.

Also you can go ahead and drop Sombra now, Blizzard. I have practiced my sniping and I have a good 1500 coins to spend on a lovely skin for her with a highlight intro and emote. I am ready.

Blu(e)

Go double support. It's definitely a thing and now you have discord to work with to shred the enemy team.

Ramirez

I still have no idea how a sniper support will work, much less be consistently effective on consoles. The only thing I can think up is if the gun uses a beam like Zarya's gun instead of hitscan bullets.

Zen is great if your team realizes that just because you pick him doesn't mean they can drop Lucio/Mercy, lol.

other team decided to go all hanzo on numbani because they got stomped on defense. well when they ulted it reminded me of that overwatch song

NeoRaider

I still have no idea how a sniper support will work, much less be consistently effective on consoles. The only thing I can think up is if the gun uses a beam like Zarya's gun instead of hitscan bullets.

Zen is great if your team realizes that just because you pick him doesn't mean they can drop Lucio/Mercy, lol.

Dropping aid kits from the higher grounds?

Kyne

So it seems my girlfriends stats have rolled back like a week. She lost levels, and some gold/competitive points as well.

Has this happen to anyone else recently?

abundant

In my mind, Sombra would end up being a long range Zenyetta. Basically her heal bullets would have auto aim, just like Zen's heal orb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom