• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

in QP I keep being teamed w/ peeps that don't seem to care about the objective until the last 60 seconds when they start to kinda group up/get it together, but by then it's too late because the other team's full-up w/ ults, and just spam them one after another until the clock runs out. smh

abundant

How come you lose so much rank for a loss in competitive but barely get any for winning?

Apparently during the closed beta, Blizzard released their first shot at Competitive where you gained or lost the same amount of rank every game. Needless to say, they got enough negative feedback so they scrapped it for what we have now.

edit: There's also the winner's penalty that occurs when someone leaves the game.

AcridMeat

Banned
First time playing in a week or two.
guhsAnX.jpg
Over two rounds.

:D

Apparently during the closed beta, Blizzard released their first shot at Competitive where you gained or lost the same amount of rank every game. Needless to say, they got enough negative feedback so they scrapped it for what we have now.

edit: There's also the winner's penalty that occurs when someone leaves the game.
And they really thought this was the better option? If that's the case, individual performance should be heavily factored since it's based on win/loss

LiK

Totally destroyed another team in Comp as Pharah. Readjusted my sensitivity for all heroes and now I do even better than before.

Satch

Banned
how dumb do you have to be to complain about a system as good as that lol

Zemm

How come you lose so much rank for a loss in competitive but barely get any for winning?

Blizzard ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They should have just used the Hearthstone ranking system, like literally copy it, even the part where you get more stars for consecutive wins until rank 5.

TheYanger

Blizzard ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They should have just used the Hearthstone ranking system, like literally copy it, even the part where you get more stars for consecutive wins until rank 5.

The hearthstone system isn't zero sum though, so you end up with everyone moving up over time if they put in the effort. The OW system is much more an actual ranking.

I think it's tough to fully judge a system with a game based on so many different character and team matchups, yes. For example a person might be really good at one character, so he might be matched with people who are decent with multiple characters that adds up to how good he is with that one character, but his character gets destroyed due to matchups. Problem is that because he only insists on playing one character, he ragequits instead of changing up.

Looking at you, bastion mains.

Hmmmm, you make a sound point.

I still feel as though going on wins and losses feels like an almost lazy way to go about it though. I don't feel it serves anybody particularly well.

Maybe if competitive mode were restricted to weekly clan tournaments or something that would work well, but as of right now, it feels like whether you're the single player trying to make do, or the team getting matched with some less-than-great random singles, nobody wins.

Kito

I didn't realise my Lucio win rate was so high (60%)... I hardly ever wall ride or keep speed mode on, and play like a healing beacon lol.

Satch

Banned
iirc they said it was grindy.

Now it's negative grindy, as in, the more you play, the lower you go.
lol right

They literally made it worse by making it so you need even more wins to equal a loss

people are crazy to not want the system they had in place before

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Played against a team in ilios with a sym that seemed intent on just placing turrets in one of the side rooms that people might pass through, but didn't really do much else but wait in that room. I just kept hooking her and destroying both her or her turrets, or just ignored her altogether because she was doing nothing to cap the main point.

Felt so bad for the other team.

It was ranked too. One of the easiest ranked matches I've had.

Vol5

Yep my rank is borked. Lost quite a few days of progress. Probably lost in the region of 600 credits which is a kick in the nuts. Bizarrarly my portrait level has stayed the same as when I was at 70+.

No idea how blizz can fix this one.

aeolist

Banned
The hearthstone system isn't zero sum though, so you end up with everyone moving up over time if they put in the effort. The OW system is much more an actual ranking.

the overwatch system seems like everyone will move down over time unless they're extremely good and win a huge percentage of their games

i don't see how that's better

abundant

lol right

They literally made it worse by making it so you need even more wins to equal a loss

people are crazy to not want the system they had in place before

The original system they used is not a true ranking system. It makes it way too easy to get a high ranking. Those were the main complaints. That's not to say what we got is any better.

Kevyt

My rank is 33 now, and I have stopped caring about competitive, except that it is much more fun than quick play.

I'll literally just play whatever character without caring about team composition or team suggestions.

Trying to see how far of a rank I can get.

My rank is 33 now, and I have stopped caring about competitive, except that it is much more fun than quick play.

I'll literally just play whatever character without caring about team composition or team suggestions.

Trying to see how far of a rank I can get.

Honestly, I would never play competitive mode if the matchmaking times on Xbox One weren't so much faster.

I treat it like quick play.

lvl 43 and feeling fiiiiiiiiine

the overwatch system seems like everyone will move down over time unless they're extremely good and win a huge percentage of their games

i don't see how that's better
Yeah especially if you solo q then rank doesnt reflect your actual skills. It's not like a fighting game where your skill alone will take you far. Here you are dependant on five other people who may or may not be good.thus really hard to hold a high rank.

Yeah especially if you solo q then rank doesnt reflect your actual skills. It's not like a fighting game where your skill alone will take you far. Here you are dependant on five other people who may or may not be good.thus really hard to hold a high rank.

It's especially galling from Blizzard, who have separate rankings for Starcraft teams vs Starcraft individuals.

Zemm

Just had the weirdest game where we had a rank 71 Mercy who only ever damage boosted the 75 Hanzo, with 3 of us on D'Va and a Tracer, we won with ease.

Antiwhippy

That is like the worst use of damage boost, because if Hanzo is hitting people like he should he doesn't need damage boost to finish off people, and if he isn't then his dps is so inconsistent you're better off shooting along with him.

Antiwhippy

How many rank matches do people play in a stretch btw? I find myself averaging between 4-5 before needing to switch to QP or take a break.

Ertai

Attack on Dorado, push the payload in overtime to the first checkpoint and have the enemy team leave just before you make it to the final checkpoint. Gain no rank up at all, feelsbad.jpg

God this game has the highest of highs and lowest of lows. Those moments when playing with randoms where you coordinate ults and get a team kill... man it's unlike anything else. But then when you play with people who have no idea what they're doing it's absolutely awful. Yin and yang.

keuja

I don't give a shit about competitive mode since I realized how you automatically lose like a full rank when you lose yet when you win you gain only a small fraction back. It doesn't feel rewarding at all. So I just quick play now since the matchmaking is faster.

Vestal

Wow.... People don't really know how to deal with a Bastion+Mercy combo.. Just held the Volks 2nd point between me healing/damageboost and a bastion.. He had like 22 kills and only died once..
about a 5min hold.

LG is awful on Defense. They really need Pookz and Gods to pick new characters, or just kick them off the team.

Pookz does nothing as Sym and Gods is so hot and cold with 76.

when you defending so well on volskaya. 5 people from the other just ups and leaves. the other person (Pisbug) stayed like a champ for when he had to defend.

This was comp btw.

Forever 44-45, my team keeps picking torb, bastion and reinhart with no healers or concrete strategy.

It still puzzle me how players above 60 keeps playing that bad or dont change their pick according to the map. They are high level enough to understand the game but no, no supports outside symmetra

Zemm

LG is awful on Defense. They really need Pookz and Gods to pick new characters, or just kick them off the team.

Pookz does nothing as Sym and Gods is so hot and cold with 76.

Gods got hurt badly by the Widow nerf, that team is carried by Seagull now and if he isn't on top form then LG doesn't look too good.

Gods got hurt badly by the Widow nerf, that team is carried by Seagull now and if he isn't on top form then LG doesn't look too good.
It seems like a former Widow player would perform very well on McCree, as he's all about precision accuracy now, but who knows. But, yeah, Seagull is head and shoulders above his team, he makes LG.

Imagine if Seagull was on Envyus, oh god, they would be unstoppable.

Antiwhippy

It seems like a former Widow player would perform very well on McCree, as he's all about precision accuracy now, but who knows. But, yeah, Seagull is head and shoulders above his team, he makes LG.

His damage falloff is not at all like widow. They both serve different functions at different ranges. Damage is nothing like widow's as well.

His damage falloff is not at all like widow. They both serve different functions at different ranges. Damage is nothing like widow's as well.
What I'm saying is both characters require precision accuracy, it's just that they work at different ranges and have a different toolset, but it could work. Maybe he should just go Hanzo? Oh wait, Seagull does that :p

Antiwhippy

I feel like if you need a hitscan mid-range DPS character soldier 76 is pretty much a no brainer.

Burst damage stunner to get rid of specific targets? Roadhog.

I do agree with nerfing mccree but seeing how it played out they probably should give him something else to compensate without giving his old stuff back. Because the other 2 characters right now just makes him obsolete.

played solo once, never again -> attack, 2 hanzos, yep gg

It's worse when you tell one of them to change the heroe and Hanzo player #2 says: "I play whatever I want, if you want to win go play competitive mode"

I quit the match (quick play during heroe selection) and logged out, enough overwatch for today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom