• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blu(e)

I still have no idea how a sniper support will work, much less be consistently effective on consoles. The only thing I can think up is if the gun uses a beam like Zarya's gun instead of hitscan bullets.

Zen is great if your team realizes that just because you pick him doesn't mean they can drop Lucio/Mercy, lol.

One thing that I think could be invaluable is giving vision of the enemy team, even if it's one person. Much like how I thought discord initially worked as Zenyatta.

Other than that, if that teaser was anything to go by, making her heals through sniping could possibly a nightmare if it doesn't have a auto lock like Zarya, Mercy, Zenyatta.

Kevyt

Mercy main here, on PC...

Currently at skill rating of 34...

I hate being a mercy when my team sucks ;-;

Does anyone on PC play on teams for competitive?

Zemm

One thing that I think could be invaluable is giving vision of the enemy team, even if it's one person. Much like how I think discord should work as Zenyatta.

Other than that, if that teaser was anything to go by, making her heals through sniping could possibly a nightmare if it doesn't have a auto lock like Zarya, Mercy, Zenyatta.

Please no more wallhack or aimbot abilities

abundant

So it seems my girlfriends stats have rolled back like a week. She lost levels, and some gold/competitive points as well.

Has this happen to anyone else recently?

Happened to me this morning. Turned on the game and my ranking was gone. All I did was reset my game and everything was fixed. This is a known bug BTW, Blizzard is hard at work trying to fix it.

cyborg009

Banned
I wish I could see the horror on Pharah face when I used D.Va defense matrix during her ultimate.

Mercy main here, on PC...

Currently at skill rating of 34...

I hate being a mercy when my team sucks ;-;

Does anyone on PC play on teams for competitive?

I swear I lose a lot more play competitive with groups than with randoms.

Nazo

I think Junkrat's way worse. Every single skill he has is annoying.
Standard bombs that kill you randomly while he's in a safe spot, mine that can be set up as a trap (with basically invisible traps) or to get away from a close enemy immediately, can reach high places thanks to that as well and without taking damage. Even when you kill him he drops bombs on the ground.

I agree about his death bombs, he really doesn't need those. But Mei is on a whole other level of annoying. She exists just to be a big middle finger to the apposing team. Her gun has a near instant freeze and that doesn't just slow down your movement speed but also your aiming. Which means if you get even slightly frozen by a Mei you just have to accept that your dead. There is little to no time to react and retaliate against her freeze ray. Also, why does her icicle have to be pinpoint accurate? I'v seen good Meis be pretty effective at counter-sniping.

Her Ice Walls are the literal worst on control maps like Hanamura were there is only the friggen' choke point for the team to go through. I had a game yesterday were a pair of Meis perfectly timed their ice walls so that the front gate of Hanamura ALWAYS had a ice wall blocking it. So the only entrance we could go through was the little hole on the upper left. Which is utter bullshit. It doesn't help that half the time when ever someone is playing on your team they're just playing her to troll the team with ice walls that trap you with the enemy or block the spawn room door.

Her Cryo-freeze is that thing that annoys me the most. It has zero start up. Has frame advantage against everything in the game, and give her full health is seconds.

WWWHHHHYYY.

Every time she uses it turns into at least one or two team mates have to sit and watch her go through the whole animation just to try and kill her again. Also, she doesn't need 200hp. She just doesn't. Not when her Cryo-freeze can heal her to full (and negates all damage) every twelve seconds.

Its also kinda BS that her ult is actually bigger than it looks.

I don't think the bullets would heal. She may have healing abilities, but I'd guess the shots would be debuffs or status ailments.

On the other hand, being able to heal from sniping distance if you have the skill to nail your shots would be pretty epic.

Excited to see how she plays.

abundant

Looking around the net, it seems this new bug rolls you back one to two weeks, meaning your level goes down, you lose your skill rating, and worst of all, you lose everything you've unlocked in the last few weeks. So if you haven't yet checked your game, do so now.

Veelk

Banned
Her Cryo-freeze is that thing that annoys me the most. It has zero start up. Has frame advantage against everything in the game, and give her full health is seconds.

I don't understand why it is that I can destroy junkrat's tire, reflect Hanzo's ult arrow back at him, destroy Torbs upgraded Turret, and destroy symmetra's teleport

But I can't shoot down Mei's little helper robot. I've tried, and I thought that would be a good way to counter her, that smart players can take her freezing thing out before it kills the team. But nope, it's indestructible. Why?

aeolist

Banned
got a competitive 6 stack going last night with some friends and ended up losing like 4 levels winning half the games because i'm higher ranked

today i gained 3 back solo queuing

guess which one was hilarious and fun and which was a slog through whiners and leavers

aeolist

Banned
I don't understand why it is that I can destroy junkrat's tire, reflect Hanzo's ult arrow back at him, destroy Torbs upgraded Turret, and destroy symmetra's teleport

But I can't shoot down Mei's little helper robot. I've tried, and I thought that would be a good way to counter her, that smart players can take her freezing thing out before it kills the team. But nope, it's indestructible. Why?

you can deflect it i think

not sure if dva can cancel it with defense matrix

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Because you can just move out of it. Just at a glance you can:

Tracer: Blink
Rein: Charge
DVA: Fly
Junkrat: Remote Bomb
Reaper: Ghost Form
Pharah: Boost/Rocket Jump/Concussion Jump
Mercy: Fly
Genji: Dash
Winston: Jump
Mei: Cry-sleep, ironically

Zarya's Graviton Surge has similar weaknesses (although it's better against non instantaneous movement)

Lokbob

You can reflect the robot btw.

aeolist

Banned
also yeah it's really hard to land a mei ult on more than 1 or 2 people unless they've gotten themselves into a really bad position or you combo with black hole

Apathy

don't forget, cant kill a self destructing d.va mech. totally fair blizzard

Vol5

Looking around the net, it seems this new bug rolls you back one to two weeks, meaning your level goes down, you lose your skill rating, and worst of all, you lose everything you've unlocked in the last few weeks. So if you haven't yet checked your game, do so now.

I've gone back from 76 to 63. Lost all placement. Rebooted three times now. Shit out of luck

Edit: placement is back. Rank is still 63.

Prelude.

I agree about his death bombs, he really doesn't need those. But Mei is on a whole other level of annoying. She exists just to be a big middle finger to the apposing team. Her gun has a near instant freeze and that doesn't just slow down your movement speed but also your aiming. Which means if you get even slightly frozen by a Mei you just have to accept that your dead. There is little to no time to react and retaliate against her freeze ray. Also, why does her icicle have to be pinpoint accurate? I'v seen good Meis be pretty effective at counter-sniping.
Several characters can just walk away from the freeze but you shouldn't get close to her anyway. Her gun shoots 1 icicle every 0.5s and only has 1.5s to aim for the head (150hp max damage at min distance) which means that, if you miss once, the enemy can get out of the freeze. It also has fall-off damage so getting counter sniped means she's dealing with a bad sniper.
Her Ice Walls are the literal worst on control maps like Hanamura were there is only the friggen' choke point for the team to go through. I had a game yesterday were a pair of Meis perfectly timed their ice walls so that the front gate of Hanamura ALWAYS had a ice wall blocking it. So the only entrance we could go through was the little hole on the upper left. Which is utter bullshit. It doesn't help that half the time when ever someone is playing on your team they're just playing her to troll the team with ice walls that trap you with the enemy or block the spawn room door.
Well, take Pharah or someone else with good mobility to go in from the hole or deal 500 damage to a pillar in her wall so it breaks. Overwatch is a game pretty much built on counters, you don't have to get stubborn and refuse to change your characters if it's not working.
It only heals 150hp (of 250) in 4 seconds. If you think that Roadhog can heal 300hp in 1s it's not even particularly "bad".
Its also kinda BS that her ult is actually bigger than it looks.
Is it? If it is I didn't notice.

Ramirez

Someone mentioned Overbuff not tracking stats, but it has my latest skill rank up from last night. Number 720 out of 90K people. :O

I wonder if when Blizzard hands out competitive points at the end of the season if it will be based off your season high, or where you end the season? I feel like at this point I should hit 70 again (69 atm) and just retire for the season so that I don't lose any CP at the end of it, lol.

Also has Blizzard said anything about McCree since his nerf? No one picks him on console anymore, he's pretty much useless.

Because you can just move out of it. Just at a glance you can:

Tracer: Blink
Rein: Charge
DVA: Fly
Junkrat: Remote Bomb
Reaper: Ghost Form
Pharah: Boost/Rocket Jump/Concussion Jump
Mercy: Fly
Genji: Dash
Winston: Jump
Mei: Cry-sleep, ironically

Zarya's Graviton Surge has similar weaknesses (although it's better against non instantaneous movement)

Zarya's shield also negates Mei's ult - I saw an enemy Zarya use it to get out of a blizzard I threw once.

cyborg009

Banned
Mind games wont work on me lol.

aYdPmtl.jpg

4 Winston + 2 Lucio cheese line up on first cap of Hanamura on attack = feelsgoodman

The punishment for losing still seems super severe....I've lost twice and won three, still managed to go down 2 levels in total and my team was never favored in except one match.

Kamion

The simple solution is if someone leaves in the middle of the match, the winning team doesn't get penalized. That's it, nothing complex.

Just make a match not count when someone leaves. At all. It's frustrating too, but it's way more frustrating to have 10+ leaver games in a row and lose rank because you're constantly playing 4-5 vs 6 and losing.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Just make a match not count when someone leaves. At all. It's frustrating too, but it's way more frustrating to have 10+ leaver games in a row and lose rank because you're constantly playing 4-5 vs 6 and losing.

Real easy to abuse that.

Start losing? Insist that someone on your team leaves.

Make the matchmaking better and fewer people will leave.

I've never had anybody leave in a legitimately close match.

Matches that were quite obviously over before they started on the other hand, make for lots of early exits.

At the end of the day, console players paid $60 for the privilege of playing this game. If they feel the time spent in que waiting for the next match is worth more to them than the time getting their ass kicked in a one-sided rout, that's their call.

Matches that were quite obviously over before they started on the other hand, make for lots of early exits.

At the end of the day, console players paid $60 for the privilege of playing this game. If they feel the time spent in que waiting for the next match is worth more to them than the time getting their ass kicked in a one-sided rout, that's their call.
Nah. Many people that RQ do so because they think the match is unwinnable, not because it actually is. They're quick to give up because they aren't willing to play from behind.

Team so dumb. on overtime in ilios ruins. team decides to Run off the point when i rip tire.
luckily it was only QP but still. don't be dumb.

abundant

What? You do know the only reason why people complain about leavers is because it screws over the winners, right? The current situation (and your fix) encourages tolls and sore losers to leave the game, screwing over the winners.

edit: And your fix would be easily exploited by teams that are losing.

Nah. Many people that RQ do so because they think the match is unwinnable, not because it actually is. They're quick to give up because they aren't willing to play from behind.

Maybe. I'll vouch to being a lowly level 45 so maybe behaviors change as you get higher. In my experience, I've played behind in many matches so long as the match still felt within reach, and the skill difference between the two teams was not immediately obvious from the outset.

J Range

I have. And theres no way to tell how even a team is other than skill level. Maybe that 56 is a 56 when hes using pharah, but he chose junkrat who hes a 35 with, if you catch my drift.

Jeff kaplan sort of alluded to this.

I have. And theres no way to tell how even a team is other than skill level. Maybe that 56 is a 56 when hes using pharah, but he chose junkrat who hes a 35 with, if you catch my drift.

Jeff kaplan sort of alluded to this.

This I completely agree with, and it goes to the whole 'improve matchmaking' point.

It seems ludicrous that a developer would put such time into making such a multifaceted, balanced experience and then treat every character as though their performance can be adequately weighed via the same measures.

Frankly, they should have developed and tested means of measuring performance differently for every character, or at the very least, every class of characters, as divided on the select screen.

Going based purely on W/L is ridiculous, just as going on K/D would be.

sometimes team is dumb. they let the same reaper come attack me. i'm at the point where i'm just going to speed boost around because team just watches me die.

Antiwhippy

This I completely agree with, and it goes to the whole 'improve matchmaking' point.

It seems ludicrous that a developer would put such time into making such a multifaceted, balanced experience and then treat every character as though their performance can be adequately weighed via the same measures.

Frankly, they should have developed and tested means of measuring performance differently for every character, or at the very least, every class of characters, as divided on the select screen.

Going based purely on W/L is ridiculous, just as going on K/D would be.

How are you going to match make on that though? It's not like you select the character first and then matchmake, and some people will switch to characters they aren't as familiar with in other to counter certain characters.

And it's not like everyone is 100% all the time. Performance flactuates, that's a given.

I hate to put it this way, but fucking suck it up and deal with it. Not leaving is one of the things you have control in. Leaving just makes it a worst experience for everyone else.

You can reflect her ultimate back at the enemy team. It's glorious.

J Range

I won 5 games and 3 losses today, deranked 2 levels. Somebody left every single time i won. Struggling to keep a 50-55 rank whilst winning 65% of games, mostly solo queue, seems crazy to me. Obviously im a big factor in those games.

How are you going to match make on that though? It's not like you select the character first and then matchmake, and some people will switch to characters they aren't as familiar with in other to counter certain characters.

And it's not like everyone is 100% all the time. Performance flactuates, that's a given.

I hate to put it this way, but fucking suck it up and deal with it. Not leaving is one of the things you have control in. Leaving just makes it a worst experience for everyone else.

You really think it's that tough to aggregate a matchmaking rank based on the performance of a player with various character ranking marks, over the number of matches they've played?

Sorry, but as the consumer of a $60 product, every player has the right to decide 'this product is currently failing to provide me with an experience I find enjoyable, thus I will do my best to improve it'. If that includes quitting and finding a better match, I suggest the developer do a better job of improving the sum experience.

The notion that the player owes the developer any kind time debt to make their product more palatable to others is anti-consumer nonsense.

Grisby

Wait what. Is this on ps4?

I booted the game up for the first time in over 2 weeks, just wanted to chill with some Mercy/Lucio matches in quick play, and somehow ended up with matches so stupidly unbalanced that I can't even fathom it. Like, it was constantly me and players from level 10-50 against teams with everyone ranging from 60-130. Teammates who literally were being demolished by a single Winston that stood still on the payload holding left click, that actively ran away from you when being healed, that let a Genji on 20hp run straight up to them, pop ult and kill everyone without being shot at once.

Like, what the hell has happened to matchmaking?

The simple solution is if someone leaves in the middle of the match, the winning team doesn't get penalized. That's it, nothing complex.

Ever since Competitive came out, my groups almost always run Lucio + Mercy when attacking.
There was a typo in my post. I meant to say that the losing players shouldn't have their rating impacted if they had a leaver, but *only* as long as the leaver wasn't a part of the group that any of the players is in. Also, I agree - the winning teams shouldn't be penalized period. It just really sucks when you're solo queueing and you lose a player and it's basically an instant loss and you take a full hit. Such bullshit.

abundant

There was a typo in my post. I meant to say that the losing players shouldn't have their rating impacted if they had a leaver, but *only* as long as the leaver wasn't a part of the group that any of the players is in. Also, I agree - the winning teams shouldn't be penalized period. It just really sucks when you're solo queueing and you lose a player and it's basically an instant loss and you take a full hit. Such bullshit.

The problem with that, is that it can and would be exploited. People on the losing team would start bullying someone on their team to leave, so that they don't drop in rank.

Anyone else struggle aiming in this game more so than most console shooters? Ive sniped in literally every FPS since like the original Xbox and in this game the aiming just feels so off. I can never consistently hit people let alone dome them.

Antiwhippy

You really think it's that tough to aggregate a matchmaking rank based on the performance of a player with various character ranking marks, over the number of matches they've played?

Sorry, but as the consumer of a $60 product, every player has the right to decide 'this product is currently failing to provide me with an experience I find enjoyable, thus I will do my best to improve it'. If that includes quitting and finding a better match, I suggest the developer do a better job of improving the sum experience.

The notion that the player owes the developer any kind time debt to make their product more palatable to others is anti-consumer nonsense.

I think it's tough to fully judge a system with a game based on so many different character and team matchups, yes. For example a person might be really good at one character, so he might be matched with people who are decent with multiple characters that adds up to how good he is with that one character, but his character gets destroyed due to matchups. Problem is that because he only insists on playing one character, he ragequits instead of changing up.

Looking at you, bastion mains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom