• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Frame

Matched up with Letdown again!

Tough loss man. I probably didn't pick the best heroes for Defense (Zarya and Winston) but oh well.

Satch

Banned
if i see/hear the words "protect your mercy" one more time i am going to SCREAM

we told him to just switch to lucio and then he ACTUALLY SAID "never criticise your healer, nothing is our fault" and i literally could not believe what i was reading

if they werent so waifu obsessed theyd know how to play something else but alas being a useless mercy is better than learning the more evasive support xD

u can even ask these monkeys if they would switch to a dps class so you can play lucio but they wont even do it cuz they only know how to play fucking mercy

these people are worse than hanzo pickers by a mile. the persecution complex is on par with the support whining in Dota2 and thats saying a LOT

Genji is hard to use on console I feel. And I agree his super is really wonky.

I have to crank up the sensitivity with him, it helps a lot. I still haven't found a good way to map his inputs so you can jump and aim reliably at the same time.

Jump on LB, Block on RB

eek5

we told him to just switch to lucio and then he ACTUALLY SAID "never criticise your healer, nothing is our fault" and i literally could not believe what i was reading

if they werent so waifu obsessed theyd know how to play something else but alas being a useless mercy is better than learning the more evasive support xD

u can even ask these monkeys if they would switch to a dps class so you can play lucio but they wont even do it cuz they only know how to play fucking mercy

these people are worse than hanzo pickers by a mile. the persecution complex is on par with the support whining in Dota2 and thats saying a LOT
why not just protect your mercy though :(

Satch

Banned
why not just protect your mercy though :(
? serious question: do u not realize how hard tracer and genji are to kill
theyre like mosquitos, eventually u get tired of swatting them away and you just let them suck your blood and infect you with swine flu

idk why mercy players are exempt from the age old adage of "if its not working out then SWITCH HEROES"

BigDug13

If you have lots of tanks on your team Mercy is a better healer. It takes 8 seconds to heal just 100 damage as Lucio. 4 more seconds of 50 HP healing, then they get to do 120 healing in 3 seconds with amp it up. So in 15 seconds they can do 270 healing. That means it takes well over 20 seconds to heal a Winston or Reinhardt. Mercy heals 50 HP per sec. So 10 seconds to go from 0 to max as Reinhardt.

Yeah, Lucio only really works best if you have a bunch of squishies and your tank is a Zarya because they don't have much health to heal(Zarya has shields, so it works for her). Mercy is better if you have two tanks, especially with the revive, which fits tanks perfectly, as you can't insta kill them off of it.

Both heroes have their pluses and minuses that make them better then each other in certain situations, you just have to hope that you have the right one for your team.

Although I do find it annoying how I always seem to run into these Mercys who will only revive 3 or 4 people instead of 1 or 2, and they end up only ever using one revive because of this when they could of gotten so many solo revives that can easily turn the tide of the battle.

CoLaN

The Code7 vs EnvyUS game that was live on beatinvitational minutes ago highlighted most of the issues in this game tbh, especially the snowball effect and stupid charge rate of ults.

There is nothing more embarrassing than being revived by Mercy, but you weren't paying attention, so you just die again. It's even worse when you look at the screen after you die and instead of seeing a killcam, you see yourself standing in front of a mob of angry Genjis and Roadhogs ready to tear your shit up.

Twookie

the observing on that tournament seems pretty bad too, pretty hard to follow what is actually happening when the observers keep switching whom to spectate multiple times in 5 seconds

also fuck taimou

FoxSpirit

? serious question: do u not realize how hard tracer and genji are to kill
theyre like mosquitos, eventually u get tired of swatting them away and you just let them suck your blood and infect you with swine flu

idk why mercy players are exempt from the age old adage of "if its not working out then SWITCH HEROES"
Torbjorn and Symmetra. A dash of Mei. I have literally switched from Mercy to Torb if a Tracer was too much of a pain for the team. Sure, no healer, but also not constant shots into the back of my team. Plus then we are always up 6vs5 until she switches.

Kito

As someone with 50hrs on Mercy, the 'protect Mercy' rhetoric is bs. That's her job and nobody elses.

Too many Mercys see themselves as a passive spectator. They don't bother learning her pistol and lack awareness of their options. I once saw a Mercy who let herself and 4 teammates die in a Zarya ult instead of flying to a Hanzo and back to rez those 4. If there wasn't a Hanzo, she could at least shoot her pistol to kill an enemy; that's one less person capping the objective.

Her pistol can also alert teammates of a flanker. If I see someone creeping around, I spam the pistol in that location until a teammates takes care of them.

Every time I've checked a good Mercy's career profile, they've had average elims between 3 and 6.

eek5

the observing on that tournament seems pretty bad too, pretty hard to follow what is actually happening when the observers keep switching whom to spectate multiple times in 5 seconds

also fuck taimou

observer is a huge problem imo. even when i'm focusing i find it hard to tell what's going on

Kito

Torbjorn and Symmetra.

I also counter Tracers with Sym.
The best Tracers constantly rely on health packs, spawn turrets over them and they'll switch.

This is why I don't watch tournaments. Confusing af.

So is everyone losing matches as much as I am? Today I did 6 games in a row and lost every single one. Nobody dropped in those 6 games, I switched between a variety of characters, and 4 games in it switched the teams up so that I was mixed with the previous winners and still lost the 2 games after. And, honestly, this feels like a good day. Sometimes I'll play and it's just a constant barrage of losses. It's nothing to quit the game over and I'm having fun while playing for the most part, but god I don't understand why it seems like the games are always stacked against my team. Hell, every now then when I do win it seems like ~60% of the time I only won because people on the other team kept dropping the game.

Twookie

What did Taimou do?

Wasn't Taimou proven to be using an aimbot on Widow?

yeah this is why i don't like the dude

just search on youtube for taimou cheating and you will find loads of suspious shit against that dude

like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRo0Csl8P2Y

zps keeps defending him too oddly enough

Probably referring to taimou dropping the n word on stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaVy-QomMvo

wasn't referring to this, but man what a guy

Veelk

Banned
Holy fucking SHIT guys

Genji is a frikken monster when you play him right. Again, I don't consider myself very good...but I managed to make use of his whole arsenal in the last few games, and it was just....

Just fucking Metal Gear Rising. I could hear TIME TO LEAVE THEM ALL BEHIIIIIIND in my head. If I manage to keep this up, I think I might ditch reaper for him as my main offensive dude. Reaper is really fun and all, but the speed, distance and ferocity Genji has is simply ridiculous.

I may have to create a bumper jumper control set for him though, since I'll need it to get the most out of his mobility.

What're the chances of me getting the animated Ilios spray if I'm rank 62 (and climbing, I usually earn a level with every win), in the top 9%, and am ranked around #2,900 globally? Don't I need to be in the top 500 in my server to get it? How do I make sure that happens?

LiK

Holy fucking SHIT guys

Genji is a frikken monster when you play him right. Again, I don't consider myself very good...but I managed to make use of his whole arsenal in the last few games, and it was just....

Just fucking Metal Gear Rising. I could hear TIME TO LEAVE THEM ALL BEHIIIIIIND in my head. If I manage to keep this up, I think I might ditch reaper for him as my main offensive dude. Reaper is really fun and all, but the speed, distance and ferocity Genji has is simply ridiculous.

I may have to create a bumper jumper control set for him though, since I'll need it to get the most out of his mobility.

I may need to do that too. Changing the jump button could be very useful.

Ayumi

There is nothing more embarrassing than being revived by Mercy, but you weren't paying attention, so you just die again. It's even worse when you look at the screen after you die and instead of seeing a killcam, you see yourself standing in front of a mob of angry Genjis and Roadhogs ready to tear your shit up.

As a Mercy player, I try my best to open the healing beam on the person if I end up ressing them right in front of or around enemies. But sometimes more team mates get ressed at once, and I can't see them all. But honestly, dying right after ress is only embarrassing to the person who dies, if that helps!

Finally decided to experiment with Tracer after having avoided her for a while, and had a pretty damn good game. Important things I had to realize as I was playing her: as much as it might seem wise to always keep a dash in reserve, it won't do you much good if you're dead. Use them all if you're in a crisis and you don't have faith in your rewind to get you out of danger. And her ult. is almost useless unless you stick it to someone, at least from my experience; I must have tossed it into the midst of enemies three times and never managed to hit anyone, but taking the extra risk to get closer and stick it directly on the enemy got much better results.

Feltrol

Banned
I wonder if we are getting any Sombra news tomorrow.
Hoping for a release, instead!

Congratulations!

mercy007.png

Eric WK

What're the chances of me getting the animated Ilios spray if I'm rank 62 (and climbing, I usually earn a level with every win), in the top 9%, and am ranked around #2,900 globally? Don't I need to be in the top 500 in my server to get it? How do I make sure that happens?

You have to finish the season in the Top 500. Right now the cutoff for that varies based on platform/region (for PC). MasterOverwatch is likely very, very accurate for consoles because most top players will have been searched.

Basically you need to rank up at least into the 70s to hit top 500 right now. Once Blizzard flips the switch to show the top 500 in game (this may happen tomorrow since Scott Mercer said their goal has been to turn it on two weeks into the season), you will be able to track whether you're in the top 500 or not in realtime.

I wonder if we are getting any Sombra news tomorrow.
Hoping for a release, instead!

I'm guessing PTR tomorrow, live next week.

Personally, I'm more excited for Top 500 to go live, but both tomorrow would be great.

abundant

Yeah, Lucio only really works best if you have a bunch of squishies and your tank is a Zarya because they don't have much health to heal(Zarya has shields, so it works for her). Mercy is better if you have two tanks, especially with the revive, which fits tanks perfectly, as you can't insta kill them off of it.

Both heroes have their pluses and minuses that make them better then each other in certain situations, you just have to hope that you have the right one for your team.

Although I do find it annoying how I always seem to run into these Mercys who will only revive 3 or 4 people instead of 1 or 2, and they end up only ever using one revive because of this when they could of gotten so many solo revives that can easily turn the tide of the battle.
The way I decide on when to revive is if it is 2 or more, or if it is one of the less mobile tanks. Nothing worse then using her ult too early.

Borden

Neo Member
As someone with 50hrs on Mercy, the 'protect Mercy' rhetoric is bs. That's her job and nobody elses.

Too many Mercys see themselves as a passive spectator. They don't bother learning her pistol and lack awareness of their options. I once saw a Mercy who let herself and 4 teammates die in a Zarya ult instead of flying to a Hanzo and back to rez those 4. If there wasn't a Hanzo, she could at least shoot her pistol to kill an enemy; that's one less person capping the objective.

Her pistol can also alert teammates of a flanker. If I see someone creeping around, I spam the pistol in that location until a teammates takes care of them.

Every time I've checked a good Mercy's career profile, they've had average elims between 3 and 6.

So you're telling me that on top of being aware of who needs health, who doesn't, deciding one which player to heal, if you can/should switch to the buff, a general idea of where everyone from both teams are, trying to stay behind cover, when and how to zip away, looking for the best way/time to revive. THEN when an enemy (who is likely built for inflicting damage) goes after you,
you're expect to switch to your pistol (while they're attacking you) and quickly beat them in a gun fight then go back to healing like nothing even happened? And this isn't even for top level players, this is just expected of all people who play as Mercy?

You're example of dying instead of not flying over to Hanzo is just a mistake. It's not some gross misplay. Maybe they lost track of Hanzo or maybe they couldn't get their reticle on Hanzo in time. If that Mercy were were to have escaped then flew back to revive basically the whole team, that would've been at least a good play. Missing a good play is not the same as a bad play. Mercy using her pistol in OT instead of a revive is a bad play, not your example.

I'm not saying that Mercy should be able to walk freely anywhere around the map because everyone is protecting her. She still has to try to hide, stay back and wait when needed, use her abilities to get out of trouble and use her gun in emergency situations but that's it. If she's not healing then she should be buffing.

Lokbob

Hanzo is just so much bs, they probably gave him stupid hitboxes so bad players can hit something but in the hands of a great player its completely stupid.
Thankfully there are not many of these really good Hanzo players.

Borden

Neo Member
The way I decide on when to revive is if it is 2 or more, or if it is one of the less mobile tanks. Nothing worse then using her ult too early.
I asked about when the best time to revive was earlier today. After some discussion we basically came to the conclusion that it's best to just us it ASAP. Obviously, try to get multiple revives at once but it's not worth holding on to. If you're on a decent healing run you're getting a revive every 30-40 seconds. When you wait you end up getting less revives. I meant if you got Leeroy Jenkins busting through a choke point as Torb all alone, maybe you don't go warp in after him but for the most part I'd say to revive as soon as you can.

team so dumb. why you going to pick hanzo and genji on dorado attack and didn't do shit. couldn't even make it to the first checkpoint. got stuck at the underpass. like why. learn to switch please especially when there's a reinhardt blocking the path. at least go behind and attack them.

Sometimes even using the gun dont make my tanks aware I am dying against tracer or a random reaper I rather die saving my tanks

duckroll

I really wish the PotG system can get expanded to be much smarter. Since this is a team game, they should teach the system to detect the players involved in the "play" and share credit accordingly. In this example, it would be awesome if they show the Pharah and Zarya giving each other a high five, before they show the play. Stuff like that would also encourage more teamwork and synergy between random players (maybe?) instead of players trying to chase their own PotG at the detriment of the overall team.

LiK

Just lost 4 games in a row. Just feels awful, man.

Won 3 games in a row in ranked with a group feels too good.

the thrill of victory... and the agony of defeat

I really wish the PotG system can get expanded to be much smarter. Since this is a team game, they should teach the system to detect the players involved in the "play" and share credit accordingly. In this example, it would be awesome if they show the Pharah and Zarya giving each other a high five, before they show the play. Stuff like that would also encourage more teamwork and synergy between random players (maybe?) instead of players trying to chase their own PotG at the detriment of the overall team.

i saved a clip today of one of the most hilarious POTGs by a random. he was Torbjorn and he literally did NOTHING in it. will upload it this week.

Won two games, lost one. Won one, lost two. Feels... the same? I guess?

I apparently need to learn that 45 is just my MMR. I can be carrying a team and someone will leave, or I support and my team is a gaggle of ingrates.

Two of the games I lost were on KotH and came down to overtime at 99% and we just barely missed getting back to the point in time. So nerve wracking.

Nimby

Banned
There are many situations where using Mercy's pistol feels better than buffing. Not saying it isn't important, but people seem to forget that she has a pistol, and that she can kill you.

I use it for last resort usually, or to help a teammate out by lining up a few headshots. Feels like we get the kill quicker sometimes than simply buffing. One of my favorite things to do is pick off the people Mei freezes.

Azoor

There are many situations where using Mercy's pistol feels better than buffing. Not saying it isn't important, but people seem to forget that she has a pistol, and that she can kill you.

I use it for last resort usually, or to help a teammate out by lining up a few headshots. Feels like we get the kill quicker sometimes than simply buffing. One of my favorite things to do is pick off the people Mei freezes.

When you know how and when to use it the pistol can be very viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom