• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jotun?

Question though for people better than me; when you use your Graviton Surge and get 3-4+ people grouped into your ult, is it better to use your laser or grenade? I don't seem to have much luck with either, even when at full charge. I seem to kill one person maybe, yet I have seen other Zaryas kill all of them. Maybe I just suck.

Grenades. The laser will only hit one target, it doesn't pierce

If you don't have teammates ready to unleash, make sure you've reloaded before firing it, and preferably do it while at high energy so you can actually do damage.

Avoid trapping a Reinhardt with it, because he'll just shield everyone. Be aware that Mei, Tracer, and Reaper can all either escape or go invulnerable for the duration, so it's useless to hit them with it. Depending on team compositions it's sometimes best to use it just for a Mercy/Lucio kill

Trickster

from 30% -> 50%

Honestly I don't get what they're thinking with this. It seems kinda like a ridiculously strong change. Mercy/Pharah combo was already more than deadly enough, and I say that as someone who plays Pharah a lot. Amping that 30% up to 50% is just really confusing to me

xaosslug

Still gonna take some more skill to play her than other tanks though. Her mobility and nd a good healer is still key.

D.Va is my fav. Most hours logged in with her.

her mobility is part of the reason why you don't really need to rely on healer, tho. You can zip out, get a healing pack, and be back in 20secs usually.

this new buff makes her even more durable, and healing less crucial if you know what you're doing it seems. I can't freaking wait! ^__^

Mercy's damage buff being increased makes no sense to me.

She's going to be in every fucking game now, she was in almost every game already and she gets buffed?

I love playing Mercy and all, but cmon.
It's because her ultimate charge rate was increased big time so they're compensating for that by making her more effective without it.
Are you shitting me. I thought the timer was the safe time. Horrible wording in that text box.
What? It straight up says "you can leave with no penalty in X seconds", how can you mistake that for "you can only leave safely for the next X seconds"

LiK

Mercy buff makes sense cuz people tend to heal with her more than buff unless your team is really good at killing and self-healing. And her slower Ult charge makes up for it.

LiK

It's because her ultimate charge rate was increased big time so they're compensating for that by making her more effective without it.

What? It straight up says "you can leave with no penalty in X seconds", how can you mistake that for "you can only leave safely for the next X seconds"

You worded it much better. So my statement stands.

mxgt

Banned

I dunno, I haven't been able to play on PTR but people saying the charge rate doesn't feel significantly slower.

PatjuhR

I can still see where you are coming from tho.

I've read it wrong the first time aswell. If you are playing and you have a quick look at it I can understand that you read it like that.

LiK

I can still see where you are coming from tho.

I've read it wrong the first time aswell. If you are playing and you have a quick look at it I can understand that you read it like that.

Big red box pops on screen while I'm trying not to die in ranked. Timer going down. IT'S GONNA BLOW

I'm trash, I went out and bough Bnet credit to buy this on PC to play on the PTR. I'm still a bit indecisive though... As a PS4 player, what should I expect? I'm looking forward to more precise sniping but is the skill level on PC going to be similar to PS4? Don't want to get into games where I'm just being stomped. :/

Thanks!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Ok as long as you play her like support hanzo (as in stop trying to snipe the enemy the 3 other annas in my team) anna is pretty awesome.

That heal is fucking serious. Holy crap it heals a lot.

and her healshot is generous. so hanzo players should be used to it

Ok as long as you play her like support hanzo (as in stop trying to snipe the enemy the 3 other annas in my team) anna is pretty awesome.

That heal is fucking serious. Holy crap it heals a lot.

grenade + healshots on tanks <3

I said that I'd stop but I lied. Fresh off experiencing the hell that is Temple of Anubis reaching Sudden Death.

I don't wanna play competitive anymore.

I'm trash, I went out and bough Bnet credit to buy this on PC to play on the PTR. I'm still a bit indecisive though... As a PS4 player, what should I expect? I'm looking forward to more precise sniping but is the skill level on PC going to be similar to PS4? Don't want to get into games where I'm just being stomped. :/

Thanks!

As someone who started on PS4 and is level 50 and just started PC at level 10, here is my experience so far:
-My aiming was immediately better. Granted I'm used to kb/m.

-In the week I've played the matches feel about the same in terms of games where We stomp, get stomped and feels even.

-One negative is the text chat someimes. I've been crtitcized in chat when I die or make a mistake and certain people flip out and feel they have to tell me how shit I am and point out how low level I am, like that makes a difference. I don't engage back but it still sours a game.

To counteract that I'm going to send out request to Gaffers later and hopefully start playing with (hopefully) saner groups. :)

Prelude.

I, too, read that warning in that way until now. I never left so I didn't even notice it.

And yes, it is worded awkwardly since it goes from "you can leave in 0:XX" to "you can leave but you will receive a loss" so it seems like it's implying that, since you stuck with it, you're gonna get a loss if you leave after the timer runs out. So if you read it wrong the first time coupled with that second sentence, you're gonna misinterpret it forever.

I think it should be something clearer like "0:XX left until you can leave with no penalty".

Thanks!
There's plenty of shite players on PC. Basically expect to see good snipers more often and turrets less often. Stuff like Pharah and Tracer are easier to deal with but they have higher skill ceilings.

There's plenty of shite players on PC. Basically expect to see good snipers more often and turrets less often. Stuff like Pharah and Tracer are easier to deal with but they have higher skill ceilings.
Great, thanks :p
As someone who started on PS4 and is level 50 and just started PC at level 10, here is my experience so far:
-My aiming was immediately better. Granted I'm used to kb/m.

-In the week I've played the matches feel about the same in terms of games where We stomp, get stomped and feels even.

-One negative is the text chat someimes. I've been crtitcized in chat when I die or make a mistake and certain people flip out and feel they have to tell me how shit I am and point out how low level I am, like that makes a difference. I don't engage back but it still sours a game.

To counteract that I'm going to send out request to Gaffers later and hopefully start playing with (hopefully) saner groups. :)
Oh wow, I forgot about the text chat. Gonna have to learn to ignore the insults lol

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Have you tried the PTR?

spootime

Interesting patch. Blizzard made some good changes, bad changes, and some that I'm not sure about.

Good Changes:

DVA buff: Dva seems to be in a really good place now. Making the matrix into a "resource" is a genius move and I really think it brings her in line with other tanks. Definitely a situational pick still but MUCH stronger. Great move by blizz

Overtime changes: This, along with 1HL, should take care of tracer cheese in KOTH and should make it more enjoyable to play in general. Definitely happy with this one as well.

Zenyatta buff: this one is awesome. Zenyatta is in a much better place now and I bet you'll see him against teams heavy in tanks. Hell, maybe just in general. I think he's very powerful with tons of self regen in the form of shields, 200 hp, and sick damage from discords. OP? Maybe - we'll see.

Bad changes:

Mercy buff: Seriously blizzard, fuck off with op supports.

Soldier nerf: Soldier was already one of the harder classes to play at a high level. I really liked trying to burst as efficiently as possible while constantly managing my recoil. Now, with the mccree buff, I think he's going to basically be useless. No reason to run a soldier instead of McCree I think. If he had been left alone compared to the new McCree I think they would roughly be on the same level, which would have been great. If they are going to make his recoil CS-like, he needs a damage buff to compensate.

Who knows?

Ana: Ana is interesting. I think she'll be pretty bad in solo queues but her competitive potential seems really good. Lucio speed buff + heal grenade is basically a mercy heal on EVERY person on your team. Furthermore, you can throw it on a zenyatta ult and basically cancel the ultimate. Seems insane, right? The sleep is nuts too. If one person is out of position you can sleep them and then take a 5v6 fight. Her ult seems good but honestly I think her regular abilities may be even more powerful.

The awkward thing with Ana is her place in lineups. She seems to synergize very well with Lucio's aoe heals, but doesn't seem to synergize as well with Mercy. However, Mercy is still MANDATORY, especially with her damage boost buff. McCree one shotting heroes is too much to turn down. Do you run three supports (Ana Lucio Mercy)? Do you just keep the Mercy / Lucio combo? The issue here is just how powerful Mercy's ultimate is. On the other hand, Ana's kit might be worth losing the lucio in the hands of a sufficiently coordinated team.

McCree: I'm on the fence on this one. People don't know how insane McCree is because only a few people are truly insane on the hero. If you've ever played against pros on McCree in competitive mode you'll know what I'm talking about. On the other hand, he needed a buff to bring him in line with soldier. I think the issue is how well he does with blue beam. Right now a headshot does 210 damage with bluebeam which is really just too much. I think I'm hesitantly ok with the change as long as the blue beam buff is reverted.

LiK

Great, thanks :p

Oh wow, I forgot about the text chat. Gonna have to learn to ignore the insults lol

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Have you tried the PTR?

Or just disable it. Heard you need to do that every time you boot the game but I would say it's worth it. I couldn't care less what randoms have to say about anything.

Or just disable it. Heard you need to do that every time you boot the game but I would say it's worth it. I couldn't care less what randoms have to say about anything.
I guess :p I would probably need it on for competitive but I imagine in quick play it would be fine.

LiK

I guess :p I would probably need it on for competitive but I imagine in quick play it would be fine.

I was in team chat in a ranked game with randoms and some asshole was complaining about no healer so I went Lucio even tho I picked Pharah first but some other random chose Pharah as well. I didn't use speed boost immediately and he bitched about it. I almost wanted to leave or switch just to piss him off some more.

I ended up turning off auto-join team chat forever instead. I play to win, not try and bear with noisy shitty guys who can't enjoy the game with others.

Zemm

McCree + Mercy buff = retarded

How do Blizzard even manage to come up with these completely broken ideas when it was fine before? Like holy shit, you are bad at balancing.

Lokbob

McCree: I'm on the fence on this one. People don't know how insane McCree is because only a few people are truly insane on the hero. If you've ever played against pros on McCree in competitive mode you'll know what I'm talking about. On the other hand, he needed a buff to bring him in line with soldier. I think the issue is how well he does with blue beam. Right now a headshot does 210 damage with bluebeam which is really just too much. I think I'm hesitantly ok with the change as long as the blue beam buff is reverted.

Yeah, he looks strong again, pairing him with the new 50% Mercy damage buff might make him really stupid though.

I was in team chat in a ranked game with randoms and some asshole was complaining about no healer so I went Lucio even tho I picked Pharah first but some other random chose Pharah as well. I didn't use speed boost immediately and he bitched about it. I almost wanted to leave or switch just to piss him off some more.

I ended up turning off auto-join team chat forever instead. I play to win, not try and bear with noisy shitty guys who can't enjoy the game with others.

everyone trying to be pro.

Fair enough, I do try and be a team player anyway as that's the whole point of the game so I probably wouldn't lose that much by having it off :)

Tabby

How do Blizzard even manage to come up with these completely broken ideas when it was fine before? Like holy shit, you are bad at balancing.

McCree buff is fine, he was pretty useless post-nerf.

They buffed mercy to compensate wit the ult nerf because a LOT of Mercys didn't use the damage buff at all, and this is a way to bring out more useful Mercys.

Zemm

They buffed mercy to compensate wit the ult nerf because a LOT of Mercys didn't use the damage buff at all, and this is a way to bring out more useful Mercys.

They're just buffing bad Mercy's then becaues good ones were making plenty of use of the damage beam.

aeolist

Banned
Grenades. The laser will only hit one target, it doesn't pierce

If you don't have teammates ready to unleash, make sure you've reloaded before firing it, and preferably do it while at high energy so you can actually do damage.

Avoid trapping a Reinhardt with it, because he'll just shield everyone. Be aware that Mei, Tracer, and Reaper can all either escape or go invulnerable for the duration, so it's useless to hit them with it. Depending on team compositions it's sometimes best to use it just for a Mercy/Lucio kill

mercy can guardian angel out of it as well

also the laser does more dps than grenades so if you've got teammates doing damage and there's a tank caught in the ult sometimes it's better to left click them down

Wanderer5

It doesn't really have to do with ult "nerf", which was changed due to self healing now adding to the the ult count (this affected multiple heroes to various degree).

eek5

and her healshot is generous. so hanzo players should be used to it

grenade + healshots on tanks <3

I think it's bigger than the projectile hitbox. The interesting thing is you can scope in and still hit the larger heal hitbox with hitscan so it feels pretty satisfying to heal people.

spootime

Ult nerf was sorely needed and tbh it needs to be nerfed further. She didnt need the damage beam buff.

Yeah, he looks strong again, pairing him with the new 50% Mercy damage buff might make him really stupid though.

Seriously - why play widow when McCree is just better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom