• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Change can be hard to deal with but the community will find a way to counter the changes.

People complaining about Bastion was a thing, remember?

Interfectum

Change can be hard to deal with but the community will find a way to counter the changes.

Yup. I remember people melting down when the game first came out over D.Va's ult. lol

Give the changes time to simmer and let community adjust.

Kito

I'd hate to see double sniper become the norm now that Ana is the most fun healer and Hanzo is a default select.

Azoor

It was mostly from people who didn;t understand that you can and sometimes you should switch your hero.

Zemm

The changes are fantastic. As with everything, there will be whiners. Why don't you expand on what you don't like? Or did you just get slaughtered on the PTR one too many times?

I've actually gone up 2 ranks on the PTR but nice assumption. More CC, more damage, just things I don't like, things I saw creep into TF2 and now creeping into OW.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I haven't played the PTR but I think the damage buff on Mercy was really short sighted. Blizzard didn't need to maintain her pick rates at all, she's overrepresented as it is among supports. Trying to offset the ult nerf just means she'll be picked as often as before.

finalflame

I've actually gone up 2 ranks on the PTR but nice assumption. More CC, more damage, just things I don't like, things I saw creep into TF2 and now creeping into OW.

Guess we're on opposite sides of the fence, as these are things I find to be great. I think people wanting a "vanilla" shooter experience without these things have other games they can play (COD, Battlefield, CS:GO). That's not the MO for Overwatch.

V-Faction

As a player of Zenyatta and D.Va, the changes sound wonderful.

The 1-Hero limit changes feel like a good way to add pressure to the player in control. With only 1 hero in the entire team, being the defacto damage dealer or tank or support in your group means having to play twice as keenly. Likewise, I know I'll probably never swap to a hero I'm simply 'good' or 'decent' at, when another member of my squad could bring out their potential two-fold.

Kito

Newp. It's kinda' funny to watch 'em try, though. They zip out of the center of the singularity for a half-second and get sucked right back in.

Err, I always fly out of Zarya's ult provided there is a friendly sniper or distant teammate. I then fly back in and rez people.

Chance

Err, I always fly out of Zarya's ult provided there is a friendly sniper or distant teammate. I then fly back in and rez people.

Huh then it's different on consoles. I always rubber-band and I've seen other Mercies try it too...

This requires testing!

BigDug13

Mercy damage buff could've been 40% max. not sure why they picked 50%.
Her ult charge got nerfed by 30%. Giving 10% damage buff doesn't seem like such a buff to the LOWEST win percentage class in the game. Seriously. Mercy has right now the lowest win percentage of any class in Overwatch.

People seem to be glossing over the 30% rez nerf. Rez is no longer available at a high frequency.

Her ult charge got nerfed by 30%. Giving 10% damage buff doesn't seem like such a buff to the LOWEST win percentage class in the game. Seriously. Mercy has right now the lowest win percentage of any class in Overwatch.

People seem to be glossing over the 30% rez nerf. Rez is no longer available at a high frequency.
Yeah I'm pretty sure Mercy is the only character in the game with less than a 50% win rate, or at least that's what it shows on overbuff. I don't think this buff will be as major as people think it will be, but who knows.

Kurita

I need a macro/bot that automatically sends "lol" when someone on the team is being rude, I'm tired of doing it manually 4 times a game

LiK

So they're hoping she's more viable in helping to win games offensively. Makes sense. I guess we'll see how it goes. Maybe she'll help out my Pharah more.

Haly

She also has the highest pick rate despite having the lowest win rate in quick play.

In competitive, she has the 3rd highest pick rate and an almost completely even win rate because there will very likely be one mercy on both teams outside of KOTH. She is still mandatory, lower rez frequency or not, and that's the real problem with her design right now. She is literally warping half the maps' gameplay around her ult.

Wanderer5

People seem to be glossing over that self heals now adds to the ult charge and thus multiple characters got their ult charges adjusted, which might not even be that much of a nerf in ways. Mercy damage boost buff has nothing to do with her ult change, plus she also got buffed with that anyway in that she can move during her ult now.

The damage buff is cause Blizzard feels like it was weak at 20% to the point that it felt more ideal to have her use her pistol to help instead.

Guess we're on opposite sides of the fence, as these are things I find to be great. I think people wanting a "vanilla" shooter experience without these things have other games they can play (COD, Battlefield, CS:GO). That's not the MO for Overwatch.

I'm in agreement. I like that there's support classes and weird shit going on because it makes things more interesting and more fun for me to play. Especially because I've never been great at straight DPS to begin with in shooters. Also since you start with the abilities and there's no leveling up to get better ones, it's not unfair.

Haly

I don't think that's a contrast. I think those two things are directly related.

Obviously.

My point is you can't just look at the win rates without context of pick rates. Applying the "but winrates!" school of meta analysis, as faulty as it is already for games like League and Dota, misses the point in a game like Overwatch.

In competitive Symmetra has a 63% win rate, and a 1.48% pick rate, For every game with a Symmetra there will be six games with a Mercy. In QP it's 1 Symmetra per 4 Mercys. Does this mean Mercy needs buffs and Symmetra needs nerfs? No, of course not. Both heroes are actually in need of a redesign if Blizzard wants more hero variety.

I don't understand the McCree buff decision. If they nerf the damage on fan the hammer last pass and it was too much then the answer is to set the fan the hammer damage half way between what it was before and what it is now. This is basic balance adjustment logic.

LiK

McCree is fun but I wish he moved a lil faster. I guess they needed to balance his power with slower mobility.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't understand the McCree buff decision. If they nerf the damage on fan the hammer last pass and it was too much then the answer is to set the fan the hammer damage half way between what it was before and what it is now. This is basic balance adjustment logic.

I think it's more like they want him to utilise his left click more.

Like without damage boost, mccree is fine. Damage boost could be a real problem though if it matters it or the way it is now.

On another note, holy crap mei builds ult like crazy.

I was almost tossing out blizzards willy nilly due to how fast it charges.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

The issue with that is he'd just continue to be average. As he is on live, there is zero reason to bring McCree over 76. 76 has damage, a burst ability, AOE heals, mobility, and a better ultimate that requires zero set-up. McCree now has range and flat damage over 76 but requires more careful use of your ammo.

The buff also puts him up as a hard counter to Pharah who skyrocketed up in tier usage when McCree and Widow got nerfed

Haly

This is basic balance adjustment logic.

This is also the most simplistic form of balancing possible, where you're just sliding numbers up and down in response to community complaints rather than taking a critical look at a hero's identity and use cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom