• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

spootime

The issue with that is he'd just continue to be average. As he is on live, there is zero reason to bring McCree over 76. 76 has damage, a burst ability, AOE heals, mobility, and a better ultimate that requires zero set-up. McCree now has range and flat damage over 76 but requires more careful use of your ammo.

The buff also puts him up as a hard counter to Pharah who skyrocketed up in tier usage when McCree and Widow got nerfed

New McCree vs soldier would be an interesting comparison but they destroyed soldiers ability to burst fire as well.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
McCree also likely got the buff to be a counter to Ana. Not like Winston can harass a sniper that can easily put his big hitbox to sleep
New McCree vs soldier would be an interesting comparison but they destroyed soldiers ability to burst fire as well.
I meant more his Helix rockets than his burst spread. 76 is still going to be incredibly useful to have due to his ult and healing and I have to imagine his damage is still very good.

You also have to keep in mind with the hero stacking changes, they needed to make another frontline Offense viable other than double 76. Which McCree is the only other frontline offense unless you count Pharah who's overhead and not with the tank or support.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Dva is pretty awesome now, but it feels weird not to have an e skill.

Maybe they can assign her something like a laser blast to fill that e slot.

rrs

I feel that fan the hammer should be a last resort, having a cooldown on it so it isn't you die if McCree sees you, you think about McCree, or be within the same map as McCree

This is also the most simplistic form of balancing possible, where you're just sliding numbers up and down in response to community complaints rather than taking a critical look at a hero's identity and use cases.

They nerfed his fan damage because he was a "full spectrum" character who was able to destroy everything from tanks to harassers and only struggled against snipers. The fan change made him unreliable against medium targets like reaper or people who were being healed. Buffing left clicks makes him a hard counter to tanks because his dps gets a big buff when outside their effective range and also makes him more of a viable counter to snipers. This potentially makes him worse than before except the skill floor for effective use is higher.

Chuck

Still without luck
Does the game factor in medals into ranked stuff at all? Or is it just a fuck you, we don't care if you have 4 gold medals on a losing team?

Because I'm getting tired of that.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
They nerfed his fan damage because he was a "full spectrum" character who was able to destroy everything from tanks to harassers and only struggled against snipers. The fan change made him unreliable against medium targets like reaper or people who were being healed. Buffing left clicks makes him a hard counter to tanks because his dps gets a big buff when outside their effective range and also makes him more of a viable counter to snipers. This potentially makes him worse than before except the skill floor for effective use is higher.

I mean tanks can very easily negate his far range damage and quite a number of tanks (dva, Winston and roadhog) can easily bring him to their range and kill him off. He is nowhere near a hard counter to tanks now.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Today I played with a dude who was level 242. I checked his profile and there were like 6 heroes he hasn't played once. That's insane to me. Dude spent like 200 hours with the game but not a single second with Reaper or Mercy.

I don't understand the McCree buff decision. If they nerf the damage on fan the hammer last pass and it was too much then the answer is to set the fan the hammer damage half way between what it was before and what it is now. This is basic balance adjustment logic.

While I think damage boosted McCree may be a little too much right now it does reward players with really good aim, which most of the players of this game do not have. His mobility still does pose an issue and I think he might benefit more from having a Zenyatta throw a discord orb as opposed to having a pocket mercy as I think having one make her more of target and susceptible to flanker compared to a Pharah who can be flying all over the map. Time will tell though.

I wouldn't mind them increasing FTH damage up to 55-65 as long as they implement some sort of cooldown on it so his damage spikes aren't enough to kill the whole cast in an instant. Having his FTH do 55 per bullet will let him kill Reapers and Mei's as long as he gets a FB off and can hit the first 4 shots but will still do a decent amount of damage to tanks to where most can be finished off with a FB+FTH then roll+headshot if you hit all 6 FTH shots. This will also not be throwing Roadhog under the bus as that combo will leave him with 100hp left which is enough to begin healing or hook combo the McCree granted he has 600hp at the beginning of the encounter so he will still be viable and should keep some of the same usage as he does now.

Without this range change the current McCree was a very situational pick and S76/Pharah were 9 times out of 10 the better pick for the team which is something you do not want to have in this game.

Wanderer5

I kind of wonder if 10% increase on Lucio's ult charge is not good enough, cause hot damn his ult charge can fill up quite fast still.XD But hey I shouldn't complain.:p

mbpm1

Today I played with a dude who was level 242. I checked his profile and there were like 6 heroes he hasn't played once. That's insane to me. Dude spent like 200 hours with the game but not a single second with Reaper or Mercy.

What about the dudes who only play 1 hero for all that time

nuts

I mean tanks can very easily negate his far range damage and quite a number of tanks (dva, Winston and roadhog) can easily bring him to their range and kill him off. He is nowhere near a hard counter to tanks now.

I guess we will see how it works in practice when comp teams update their tactics with the new patch.

RemiLP

Winning 5vs6 is so bittersweet...played 1 man down pretty much the whole game, and you feel great for winning, then you see how little rank you gain from it..

Why do they punish a team for winning with 1 man down? Didnt they explain the small rank gain if you win when the other team has 1 less by saying the average rank was recalculated, so you actually beat a team with really low average? And wouldnt that mean if u win with one guy less, you Should gain MORE ranks?

Roubjon

Winning 5vs6 is so bittersweet...played 1 man down pretty much the whole game, and you feel great for winning, then you see how little rank you gain from it..

Why do they punish a team for winning with 1 man down? Didnt they explain the small rank gain if you win when the other team has 1 less by saying the average rank was recalculated, so you actually beat a team with really low average? And wouldnt that mean if u win with one guy less . Should gain MORE ranks?

The system is so fucked it's not worth thinking about.

Gurrry

Im gonna be at 43-44 forever guys. I cant find a string of games where someone on my team or the other team doesnt quit.

Its such bullshit that when someone on your team quits and youre allowed to leave without penalty that you recieve a huge loss in MMR.

But when someone on the other team quits and you win, you dont get enough to make back what you lost from a loss when someone quits.

This system is a joke

Blizzard is letting the quitters win here. I dont get why this hasnt been fixed yet.

Fantastapotamus

Sometimes I finish a game and at the end the statistics make me think I was either a god right now or a complete idiot every other time.
"Kills: 40 Averge: 6,05"

I guess I finally understand how to play Genji.

Bootsy

Mercy needing something to compensate for her ult charge nerf is laughable when you consider how her ult is arguably the strongest in the game and had one of the fastest charge rates, not to mention they buffed her ult even more in this patch by allowing her to move during it. She wasn't struggling like Zen so I'm not sure why an overall nerf wasn't considered.

Related: I don't like how ults can be charged on healing (and now self healing). Harass damage is already somewhat ineffective considering how quickly it can be healed back up and yeah it helps charge the damage dealer's ult and slow pushes down a bit but you're also charging the mercy res (and now soldier, lucio, roadhog, and bastion ults) if you don't finish the kill. I'm not sold on ult cooldowns being dependent on damage dealt in the first place but I think if Mercy's ult only got charged more quickly with (boosted) damage dealt it'd be incentive enough without introducing 2 bodyshot McCree kills and the like.

aeolist

Banned
Sometimes I finish a game and at the end the statistics make me think I was either a god right now or a complete idiot every other time.
"Kills: 40 Averge: 6,05"

I guess I finally understand how to play Genji.

there's also the fact that some games just stretch on long enough for you to get ridiculous stats

i was attacking hanamura the other day and the process of capping the last point was us killing 6 dvas over and over for like 15 minutes in overtime

i had something like 30k damage as tracer at the end

Gurrry

XP reduction, time out penalties and competitive bans for the rest of the season.

Is it though? I saw a guy quit on my team, then he was in my very next game and quit AGAIN.

I dont get why there isnt a cooldown timer if you quit. And as of right now, I get quitters nearly every game. Ive been at rank 44 for about 15 games and cant get ahead of it because someone always quits and gives us 0 xp.

That is the problem. People know if they quit, winners get nothing and their team mates get screwed. That encourages quitting. They need to drastically increase that ban rate for quitters and put a cooldown on how long until they can re-queue.

Mercy needing something to compensate for her ult charge nerf is laughable when you consider how her ult is arguably the strongest in the game and had one of the fastest charge rates, not to mention they buffed her ult even more in this patch by allowing her to move during it. She wasn't struggling like Zen so I'm not sure why an overall nerf wasn't considered.

The patch notes said they had designed Mercy with the idea that her damage boost should be her primary way of attacking. However in most cases her pistol equaled the damage output of the boost she was giving, so I think the damage boost wasn't really compensating for the ult charge, it was more to get players to use the damage boost over the pistol. I don't think they were considering it a buff so much as tweaking her to be more in line with their vision of how she should play.

My guess is they might lower the damage boost to 40% and maybe tweak the base damage of the pistol if this new 50% boost ends up too problematic.

Chuck

Still without luck
How about this idea:

A stat in competitive that shows on the hero selection screen I'm a better junkrat than your dumb ass.

Fantastapotamus

I want the option to teamkill everybody who plays as Mei and keeps spamming A-MEI-ZING. I hope they will implement that. Or just kick Mei out and delete every record of her ever existing.

Tabby

I want the option to teamkill everybody who plays as Mei and keeps spamming A-MEI-ZING. I hope they will implement that. Or just kick Mei out and delete every record of her ever existing.
Instakill every Mei that spawns and "A-Mei-Zing" plays repeatedly. I can get behind that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom