• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally read the PTR notes. All of the changes sound so good. Finally D.va's time to shine!

The +45% charge time adjustment on Roadhog's ult makes me laugh. Wonder when they'll either buff his ult or change it, because I feel like it whiffs most of the time or is a minor annoyance. Though I guess that partly came down to how often someone had it on hand--there wasn't much reason to save it with how fast it charged.

I keep reading random thoughts (not here specifically) on how Ana is OP and I just don't see it. She doesn't heal as well or kill as well as any other character and she honestly does a poor job at both (80 damage with no headshot, heals that require more aiming). Even at high skill she can't heal as well as Mercy, Lucio, or Zennyatta or damage as well as anyone else. Her ultimate is great, but it's an ultimate and Mercy already has part of it covered.

Her lack of mobility means her only escape is a sleep which only helps if you're on a very coordinated team that doesn't shoot at every red body they see. I will say that sleep really just ****s over some ultimates like Roadhog.

The grenade is great in theory, but if you're in grenade range (especially with no mobility to get you above the fight), you're likely in 76/McCree/Roadhog/Pharah/Tracer/whatever range where they're about to murder you. Even if it stops a DPS being healed by Mercy, it doesn't stop the 50% damage boost the DPS will take advantage of to wreck Ana. She's such an easy target compared to Lucio and Mercy. Even if she can be farther away, it's not like there aren't Reapers, Genjis, Tracers and other flankers in every match ready to take her out.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This potentially makes him worse than before except the skill floor for effective use is higher.

He was always supposed to be a mid ranger. The identity problem with Fan was that he had higher burst than close range heroes like Reaper, Genji, and Roadhog. He is a wild west cowboy, a fictional archetype that has always been synonymous with sharpshooting and unrealistic degrees of accuracy, but his optimal gameplay was that of a shotgunner.

He does not "hard counter tanks" any more than Widowmaker or Hanzo does. Speaking of Widowmaker, old McCree is like if Widowmaker went around using assault mode instead of sniper mode and it was actually better than sniping. The McCree buff is true to his identity.

Sorry to say it, but Ana does not look very fun to play at all. I get that she's a support, but all the other supports are at least satisfying to play as. I'll just have to try it for myself though.

Finally read the PTR notes. All of the changes sound so good. Finally D.va's time to shine!

The +45% charge time adjustment on Roadhog's ult makes me laugh. Wonder when they'll either buff his ult or change it, because I feel like it whiffs most of the time or is a minor annoyance. Though I guess that partly came down to how often someone had it on hand--there wasn't much reason to save it with how fast it charged.
The charge time increase on Roadhog's ult is to make up for the fact that self healing charges your ultimate now. From what I'm told his healing gives him 20% ult a pop.

Also his ult is fantastic as a displacement tool.

I'm trash, I went out and bough Bnet credit to buy this on PC to play on the PTR. I'm still a bit indecisive though... As a PS4 player, what should I expect? I'm looking forward to more precise sniping but is the skill level on PC going to be similar to PS4? Don't want to get into games where I'm just being stomped. :/

Thanks!

Garrett! Good to see someone from the FGC in these parts. I'm mostly lurking around here, but I've done the same thing.

lvl 9X on PS4, but double-dipped with the PC version last week, and just hit lvl 16. If you have any experience with PC FPS, then you'll probably like it a lot. Aiming is more precise and movement feels less sluggish. Matchmaking in quickplay is okay so far in the early goings, meaning I'm getting matched up with players of similar level. As the day goes on into the late hours, though, it gets worse. Your experience will get infinitely better if you've got some friends to party up with (something that I really need to do myself actually).

The charge time increase on Roadhog's ult is to make up for the fact that self healing charges your ultimate now. From what I'm told his healing gives him 20% ult a pop.

Also his ult is fantastic as a displacement tool.

Oh right, forgot about the healing thing. That'll be about the same as before then, yeah.

Re: displacementI need to get my Roadhog game back on. I think I've forgotten how good he can be with his ult.

Also forgot to mention, Mercy's damage boost buff is wild. Those Pharahs with a pocket Mercy will now be the worst.

The charge adjustment to Roadhog is because self-healing now charges ult. Apparently his self-heal gives you around 20% ult charge now? So he's not really nerfed at all, if anything he might get ults faster now.

Edit: Already brought up, whoops.

Yea I died more to her ult yesterday than in the entire time I played Overwatch.

I'm really looking forward to when Roadhog hooks me when I have my ult ready with D.Va now. Before I made him and anyone around scatter. Now I can just stand there and watch them BURN.

Yea I died more to her ult yesterday than in the entire time I played Overwatch.

He won't be and doesn't need to be nerfed at all. He is what he should have been.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Zen was consistently the gold damage dealer in 90% of the PTR games I played last night...he's a support class. That's in games where teams had a 76 or a Reaper...that's bananas.

His ability to just spam out Discord orbs while also spamming his 20 regular orbs is nuts.

Anne

Also forgot to mention, Mercy's damage boost buff is wild. Those Pharahs with a pocket Mercy will now be the worst.

I doubt that change gets out of the PTR. It was like this in beta and was nerfed for the reason Widow body shots would kill 200 HP heroes while boosted. I guess Blizz wanted to try it out post Widow nerf as a trade off for the ult nerfs, but it seems like way overkill.

The ult change regarding movement and GA reset I feel is fair considering the ult is still incredible at the reduced charge rate >_> could've given her nothing in exchange and she would be balanced still.

brian!

50 shield is a couple of soldier shots that can regen, not too nuts but a little more concerning when he can kill soldier quickly w/ discord

xaosslug

DVa ult is insane now. You really don't have time to escape without a Lucio on your team.

D.Va the TRUE QWEEN. Beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love D.Va and despair!

i can't waiT!
QlZUupW.png

BigDug13

How is 50 more shield and a little bit more speed that big of a difference?

Because lack of survivability was the only thing to counter his insane damage. He does like 240 dps if you hit head shots. 50 shields is pretty huge because it regens. Especially a 25% boost to hps

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I doubt that change gets out of the PTR. It was like this in beta and was nerfed for the reason Widow body shots would kill 200 HP heroes while boosted. I guess Blizz wanted to try it out post Widow nerf as a trade off for the ult nerfs, but it seems like way overkill.

The ult change regarding movement and GA reset I feel is fair considering the ult is still incredible at the reduced charge rate >_> could've given her nothing in exchange and she would be balanced still.

Yeah, it's like they went full circle there. If they keep the Mercy thing McCree getting pocketed will be insufferable.

And yeah, I don't read her ult charge 'nerf' as a whole lot overall, she has the strongest one in the entire game and it had a crazy uptime due to how fast she built it. That already needed to get hit a bit.

Anne

How is 50 more shield and a little bit more speed that big of a difference?

Orb travel time and HPS on ult too. At 200 HP you get to compare him to the other 200HP DPS classes. He can deal more damage than them while healing with the trade off being he gets no mobility/CC/other abilities.

I dunno if that's okay or not. He should still get blown up by being called out thanks to no mobility/CC while every other DPS hero has something going for them in that regard, so he still falls short there. I think it might be okay as is, PTR play is generally not the highest quality so I won't say "LOOK AT ALL THOSE MEDALS." Just depends on how his slot balances out.

If anything doesn't stick I expect it to be travel time on discord orb. I like that harmony is instant healing because he needs it to kind of not be a shit healer, but instant discord on people is really nutty.

Because lack of survivability was the only thing to counter his insane damage. He does like 240 dps if you hit head shots. 50 shields is pretty huge because it regens. Especially a 25% boost to hps

Just want to point out his survivability is still p crap compared to the rest of the cast. Shields regen but if anything sticks to him for more than a second he can't escape and he gets murdered.

Rad-

Not to mention Orb speed buff is also great. It's pretty much instant now where as before it could take like a second or more to apply, depending on distance.

Garrett! Good to see someone from the FGC in these parts. I'm mostly lurking around here, but I've done the same thing.

lvl 9X on PS4, but double-dipped with the PC version last week, and just hit lvl 16. If you have any experience with PC FPS, then you'll probably like it a lot. Aiming is more precise and movement feels less sluggish. Matchmaking in quickplay is okay so far in the early goings, meaning I'm getting matched up with players of similar level. As the day goes on into the late hours, though, it gets worse. Your experience will get infinitely better if you've got some friends to party up with (something that I really need to do myself actually).
Hey! :)

I don't have a ton of experience with PC FPS but I'm willing to learn. And that's pretty good, I'll likely give it a try then. Are you in EU?

xaosslug

I'm trash, I went out and bough Bnet credit to buy this on PC to play on the PTR. I'm still a bit indecisive though... As a PS4 player, what should I expect? I'm looking forward to more precise sniping but is the skill level on PC going to be similar to PS4? Don't want to get into games where I'm just being stomped. :/

Thanks!

it takes a bit more practice to 'git decent' on PS4, tbh. But once a character CLICKS w/ you it's real cool beans. :D

like Tracer, for instance. The 'key' to Tracer, imo, is to remember that she can blink not only forward but left, right, and BACKWARD!

hit me uuup, we can group up some time!

Anne

While I'm here I want to point out Ana's burst combo after sleep dart is 170 damage lol.

Sleep > shoot > melee > nade adds up to 170. If you get shot by her before she sleeps you that's 250 damage, enough to burst down anything that's not a tank.

Dunno how to feel about that. The nade part of the combo also heals her for 100 and denies the other playing healing.

While I'm here I want to point out Ana's burst combo after sleep dart is 170 damage lol.

Sleep > shoot > melee > nade adds up to 170. If you get shot by her before she sleeps you that's 250 damage, enough to burst down anything that's not a tank.

Dunno how to feel about that. The nade part of the combo also heals her for 100 and denies the other playing healing.
Wait a minute, her grenade does damage? Yooo

it takes a bit more practice to 'git decent' on PS4, tbh. But once a character CLICKS w/ you it's real cool beans. :D

like Tracer, for instance. The 'key' to Tracer, imo, is to remember that she can blink not only forward but left, right, and BACKWARD!

hit me uuup, we can group up some time!
Thanks for the advice! :) You on PC and EU? :p

Can't people with mobility just escape after being woken up from the sleep?

Also, wouldn't Reaper's Wraith form cancel the anti healing effect?

duckroll

Had a game the other day on Dorado where we were losing on defense, and halfway through the map someone changed to Mei, then as the payload moved closer to the end point, another person changed to Mei, by the time we finally lost there were like 4 Meis on my team.

The worst part? Only one of those Meis was a pub. My own friends had succumbed to insanity from the hopelessness. :(

Anne

Can't people with mobility just escape after being woken up from the sleep?

Also, wouldn't Reaper's Wraith form cancel the anti healing effect?

Shit's too fast, the combo is fully done by the time you stand up. Literally just hit shoot > melee > nade on your keyboard as fast as you can. Dunno if mashing wraith form or something gets you out though.

Not saying it's busted, just saying it's really and kind of unexpected.

Edit: Here's a hilarious gif going around of it happening to somebody https://twitter.com/100ryun/status/753200228178599936

That's awesome. And people were worried she would be too vulnerable up close lol

She's just like McCree. She misses the sleep, she's dead.

Besides, apparently Tracer, Reaper, and Zarya remove debuffs with their recalls, Wraith, and shields respectively. Hopefully the anti heal effect can be removed that way.

Shit's too fast, the combo is fully done by the time you stand up. Literally just hit shoot > melee > nade on your keyboard as fast as you can. Dunno if mashing wraith form or something gets you out though.

Not saying it's busted, just saying it's really and kind of unexpected.

Edit: Here's a hilarious gif going around of it happening to somebody https://twitter.com/100ryun/status/753200228178599936

People said you can't survive a Roadhog hook combo if you have low health, but it's been done. Same with flash and fan the hammer.

Anne

People said you can't survive a Roadhog hook combo if you have low health, but it's been done. Same with flash and fan the hammer.

Can't if the Roadhog doesn't fuck up (or if the hook decides to put you behind him or some shit).

FtH is RNG based so it happens. Can't get out of flash > headshot combo though which is 165 damage flat.

Pretty sure Wraith will get Reaper out of the Ana combo at least since it's not tight like that but anything else will be sketch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom