• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketch

more so for Scattershot. Aim in a direction of any character that's a squishy and it kills. I can kill so many guys just aiming in general direction with it. I don't pretend I'm a Hanzo pro because of it.

None of the other projectiles have the property of bouncing off half the map to hit you, though.

If that's how it's being used it's not really different then junkrat or pharah spam. Shoot into the choke point or hallway or whatever hoping to kill someone isn't really anything unique or special.

Using any of those projectiles properly does take a bit of aim though.

Ketch

Holding the high ground only works because the pros are good enough to kill the people on the point from the high ground before they cap it.

Satch

Banned
Holding the high ground only works because the pros are good enough to kill the people on the point from the high ground before they cap it.
Lmao thats definitely one way to look at it

ill never forget this time i had a reinhardt and a bastion shooting at the enemy but they were hiding on the other side of the payload and just pushed it to the checkpoint

it was on gibraltar

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
more so for Scattershot. Aim in a direction of any character that's a squishy and it kills. I can kill so many guys just aiming in general direction with it.

good pick.

these two posts together
tumblr_o7r2qepjMQ1sx0qgwo1_500.gif

Anne

What's this high ground I keep seeing in tournaments?

You stand at a higher elevation than the enemy. You get better angles and other stuff usually, but the actual important part is the low ground team can't just engage om high ground. The high ground team just has to drop and they're engaging.

If you're any good at team fighting it's actually really easy. You don't have to be anywhere near pro to put up a shield and fall on people.

Prelude.

If that's how it's being used it's not really different then junkrat or pharah spam. Shoot into the choke point or hallway or whatever hoping to kill someone isn't really anything unique or special.

Using any of those projectiles properly does take a bit of aim though.
I'm talking about bullshit lucky shots. Junkrat's bombs explode after 3 bounces so he can't pull off the bullshit of a scatter arrow with its 6 (including the first shot) bounces. I've seen some really dumb shots happen.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That's such a weird complaint to me. It's seriously the worst way to actually use scattershot. I barely see it do anything significant when used that way.

Anne

Ult advantage/timing/usage/etc
Poking for too long
Not using high ground
Supports not spreading responsibility
sticking to main lanes/payload too much

Those are the biggest things I see mid-low level players fuck up. Even in the 70+ range people still fuck these up regularly. All things that don't require good aim or exceptional mechanical skill to fix.

Ult advantage/timing/usage/etc
Poking for too long
Not using high ground
Supports not spreading responsibility
sticking to main lanes/payload too much

Those are the biggest things I see mid-low level players fuck up. Even in the 70+ range people still fuck these up regularly. All things that don't require good aim or exceptional mechanical skill to fix.
For sure about ult timing. I've even had times where I'm in the heat of the moment and I'm thinking "I need to ult here to help win the fight" and when I jump in and use it, there's like, two guys left while there are 5 of us. That heat of he moment gets you all stirred up and you're not paying full attention to what's going on. Stuff like this is where everyone communicating would make a gigantic difference. Even something as simple as calling out when a certain enemy dies or when a teammate dies. It at least gives you an idea how the fight is going and makes the ult decision much easier.

Antiwhippy

TBF at the lower levels it can happen. Won a match where we had no healer and won 4 gold as mei including healing. And silver in damage.

Anne

TBF at the lower levels it can happen. Won a match where we had no healer and won 4 gold as mei including healing. And silver in damage.

Oh yeah, but that doesn't mean the comp isn't bad. It just means that the other team was poor enough for that comp decision to not matter as much.

Anne do you really think we'll see a variance of support when the new patch hits?

Like could a team with an Ana and Lucio play against a team with a Zenyatta and Mercy or something?

That sounds infinitely more interesting but I feel like the pros will figure out what works best and we'll still see the same two supports 100% of the time.

Tensketch

God, just come from an infuriating game. The opposing team had a torb, 2 bastions and a reinhardt all firing from behind the shield. I managed to make a push past them to get them all distracted but the rest of my team (by my friend, who was trying his best) was full of god damned remedials and spent the entire time off the point. Utterly useless.

Anne

Anne do you really think we'll see a variance of support when the new patch hits?

Like could a team with an Ana and Lucio play against a team with a Zenyatta and Mercy or something?

That sounds infinitely more interesting but I feel like the pros will figure out what works best and we'll still see the same two supports 100% of the time.

I think every support minus Lucio maybe has a chance. I also think there will be a "best" general support duo you see a lot. Best guess is you see a standard type support duo with others being used in other comps. I know Mercy/Zen/Symm all look good. Ana is already pretty good but Idk where she'll fit. Can totally see her being a thing though.

Antiwhippy

Lucio got nutted hard honestly.

I honestly can't believe that Lucio, the most consistent character we've had in Overwatch with the best ability in the game, is gonna hit F-tier after that nerf. But I trust you guys.

So what? Mercy and Zenyatta mainly with situational Ana? And you really think Symmetra will find her way in? Why is that?

I still can't imagine Lucio not being a top pick. His speed boost will still be solid and his healing is a lot more convenient for squishies than Mercy and he can heal everyone. His ult is almost as good at countering ults as Zens. I'm still not seeing it.
mainly because Lucio is my best support and I still want to use him, but I don't want to be a detriment to my team if I know there is a better pick. Or is this just one of those "only affects pros" kind of things?

BigDug13

Lucio got nutted hard honestly.

I didn't do much team boosting into another team, but always used the boost to get back into a fight after death. I wish they would at least allow the speed burst to make Lucio himself move at the original speed as the intent of their nerf was to keep teams from boosting full speed.

But even post nerf, he's still the most survivable support with "fire and forget" healing, allowing him to 100% concentrate on other things.

Antiwhippy

I'd say at the levels we're playing at where most lucios mainly just heal anyway he'll still be good but man.

Speedboost got fucking nutted HARD. Barely feels faster than the non-amped version.

antitrop

I just got the Naptime Achievement as Genji. :p

Must have reflected Ana's sleep dart into someone that was ulting by pure accident.

BigDug13

I'd say at the levels we're playing at where most lucios mainly just heal anyway he'll still be good but man.

Speedboost got fucking nutted HARD. Barely feels faster than the non-amped version.

It's not really worth wasting the amp on speed anymore which is unfortunate. Amp is now 100% for healing boosts and maybe to help you get back from spawn a tiny bit quicker, but even that seems like a waste since it's so weak and leaves you on cooldown when you arrive to injured teammates.

I'll also use it to help teammates run down weakened enemies who are trying to escape or get to the health pack first for denial during a 1v1 fight. Definitely more situational than before though.

Anne

Lucio will still be good, but speedboost in pro play is going to be much weaker. Meanwhile something like Mercy/Zen works similarly to things that have been meta before and just works really well. If teams do run Lucio I imagine it will be a more specialized strat. At best it will be a koth thing, but eh I don't like it.

Remember though, team comp =/= strat. The big thing is we need to see if the strats open up past death ball even if the pick rates are pretty uniform.

Note 70% amp speed is still good as hell, you still want to amp it. You can't just use it at will from anywhere and expect to win a fight as clean.

Antiwhippy

Honestly it's a good thing I feel. I like lucio but him being a constant A to S tier hero pick for a long time now was a bit tiring to see.

I think Symmetra's teleporter should be invulnerable until she dies once after putting it down. That would make her more viable at higher level play.

duckroll

I think Symmetra's teleporter should be invulnerable until she dies once after putting it down. That would make her more viable at higher level play.

I agree. I also think Zenyatta's transcendence should last until one person in it exits.

Lucio's sound barrier shields should only wear off if he dies.

Ana's nanoboost should be active as long as she has the target in sight.

Hanzo should be able to ride his dragons and control them.

I think it's safe to play I've now mostly stopped playing offensive classes and just go for defense/tank/support. Since I solo queue, being everything but offense class always helps since 90% of the time people pick the offense class first.

Vire

Kind of a bummer to watch this Overwatch tournament. Not because it isn't good or fun to watch... Just that the balance and meta is in such a way that both teams lineups are exactly identical.

Winston, Zen, Zarya, Lucio, Tracer and Genji.

Not even a Hanzo sighting...

Antiwhippy

Kind of a bummer to watch this Overwatch tournament. Not because it isn't good or fun to watch... Just that the balance and meta is in such a way that both teams lineups are exactly identical.

Winston, Zen, Zarya, Lucio, Tracer and Genji.

Not even a Hanzo sighting...

Well then.

Do I have a patch for you!

ISOM

Mercy has been getting a lot more burn on PTR with the patch. I'm interested in seeing if Ana will finally be in the meta more.

ISOM

Lol Symmetra would just hide on the other side of the map once she puts her teleport down. I mean teams would be fighting 5v6 but I think it's a risk worth taking if teleports become invulnerable.

duckroll

Lol Symmetra would just hide on the other side of the map once she puts her teleport down. I mean teams would be fighting 5v6 but I think it's a risk worth taking if teleports become invulnerable.

Imagine an attack Sym putting the teleporter up on the payload, and then going back into spawn to sit there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom