• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Mei should be an auto lock on almost every KOTH map. You'll get some comments from people unwilling to give it a try, but she's incredible if played right. She can harass the shit out of Zarya and block off her ults, not to mention all of the area denial and delay she can produce in the hill.
Yeah, Mei is such a hard counter to Zarya. If Zarya gets frozen, she's as good as dead unless her team saves her. And even if she uses her shield to block the freeze, the Mei will stop shooting, wait it out with ice block or something, then get back to it, and Zarya will have only gotten 10-20 energy from that. If Mei comes into the meta more, Zarya will get toned down a bit. She will still be used a bunch, but she won't be as good. This is all depending if the Mei is good, of course.

Dude I really don't know how else to put this. There are individual hero medals and those medals are harder to obtain if you switch a character mid match.

I don't think switching heroes is bad, you're putting words in my mouth. I said Blizzard is punishing people for hero switching which is hardly a rare opinion. At the end of the day I'll switch to ensure a win.
No, there are not individual hero medals. All heroes have the same 5 medals.

Eliminations
Damage done
Healing done
Objective kills
Objective time

The only exception here is healing because not every hero can heal, but that's still 4 medals you can obtain.

And yes, Blizzard intentionally punishes us for playing the game the way they meant for us to play it. That literally makes no sense.

No, there are not individual hero medals. All heroes have the same 5 medals.

Eliminations
Damage done
Healing done
Objective kills
Objective time

The only exception here is healing because not every hero can heal, but that's still 4 medals you can obtain.

And yes, Blizzard intentionally punishes us for playing the game the way they meant for us to play it. That literally makes no sense.
If you switch from a healer to a non healer you'll get less healing done.

If you switch from a damage dealer to a support/defense/tank you'll get less damage done and eliminations.

If I play Mei on defense and switch to Mercy for offense I'll have less damage done and elims for Mei than I would if I had stayed as Mei for both games and I'll have less healing as Mercy than I would have had if I stayed as Mercy for both games.

Like.... I'm saying the way the stats work punish players. Not the gameplay itself.

Can someone help me out here?

If you switch from a damage dealer to a support/defense/tank you'll get less damage done and eliminations.

If I play Mei on defense and switch to Mercy for offense I'll have less damage done and elims for Mei than I would if I had stayed as Mei for both games and I'll have less healing as Mercy than I would have had if I stayed as Mercy for both games.

Like.... I'm saying the way the stats work punish players. Not the gameplay itself.

Switch from a damage dealer to a defense hero? Defense heroes ARE damage dealers. Roadhog and Zarya are tanks, but are also damage dealers. Zen and Ana are both healers, but are also damage dealers.

And, let's be honest here. Most people are gonna stay healer for most of the match, same for DPS and tank. They may not stay the exact same hero, but they will most likely stay the same class of hero(aka healer, tank, DPS).

The stats do not punish players. I've literally never heard this complaint before. Like, ever.

Ramirez

For season 2, I'm basically never the same character on offense/defense, hasn't harmed my rank at all.

For season 2, I'm basically never the same character on offense/defense, hasn't harmed my rank at all.
This.

I've had many games where I switch from, say, Ana to, say, Zarya and I still have plenty of gold medals in things other than healing. Switching doesn't affect stats. Your performance does.

Skab

How exactly are you being punished?

And no one sees your stats in game but you.

Game keeps throwing me into map/menu loading loops as of the last two days, wonder what the deal is considering it's been fine for me since launch.

Maybe it's for the best, after getting so close to Diamond the game is having a chuckle throwing six stacks and leavers at me.

*insert mindblown.gif here*

As my question got lost a few pages ago: Is ice-walling an attacking enemy's starting point worth doing, or am I actually causing a hassle for my team?

Personally, I don't want to give away that I'm around that quickly. Better to wait and surprise them. A Mei will cause a second or two (at least) of panic when she first shows up, and that is always welcome- especially at lower levels of QP, where, if you can break their first push, they might trickle in for the rest of the match.

I have a question and please don't take it the wrong way.

To all of you in this thread 2500 and below, what do you think is the problem that is keeping you that low? You all obviously understand how the game 'should' be played (which is 70% of the battle right there). You all play a decent amount it would seem, so what's keeping you from moving up? Obviously teammates can be shit, but it can definitely be overcome. I only ask because if you understand the game and are still stuck in the low 2000's i'd bet quite a bit that very simple adjustments would have you soaring up the ranks.

I was filling holes instead of just playing who I'm good with (D.Va). Had very bad luck on my Placements (seriously) and started the season very low. I was also solo queueing.
Now I insta-lock D.Va (and will until I grind my way up to Plat) and play with a friend or two- always with mics- and never alone, and I'm moving up a hundred points or so every few days. Sadly, after the initial plunge, I was 1600-ish, so it's going to be a long crawl to respectability.

As far as simple adjustments, I decided to be the adult. I spam "Group Up" and "I need healing" until everyone says "Understood" and gathers up. If no one calls it out, you will die a slow death-by-trickle at the lower levels.

Skii

Zarya is absolutely insane. I don't fear anyone with Zarya. Nothing reliably counters her. Even Reaper is just so easy to deal with at 50 charge with a bubble. You can always keep enough range to decimate him and he's supposed to be a prime counter to Zarya lol.

Always love Dva panicking a DM as I melt her.

Nekrono

Anyone wanna group up for comp on PC? I've been solo queuing and I can't take it anymore, I've lost like 300+ points the past few days.

Nekrono#1620

NA.

I-hate-u

I'm uninstalling. Done playing a game that makes me feel miserable. Fuck competitive.
I-Know-That-Feel-Bro.jpg

I gained so much appreciation for quick play throughout the SR losses I suffered in this season.

Definitely not my best Tracer game, but this was a fun round. I managed to force them off the point when they were about to win in overtime, and then again get them all of the point to secure the victory.
With a really lame death in between

You might think that 90% of anything cool I do in this video is luck, and you are correct, but never underestimate being in the right place at the right time. And yes tagging the ground did indeed make it into the POTG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KELceMqfdX8

Dang dude, this is amazing. Life changing even. I am so glad I watched.

Getting mic'd up on PSN makes all the difference. If nobody else is talking I'll usually do some callouts early on and I'd say 50% of the time one or more of my teammates will throw their mics on. I ended up partying with a few players this morning and am fighting my way back to 2000.

sikkinixx

Wow people leaving during competive sucks. I've lost two in a row in the placement because people have left 😑

Edit: well that's a part of the reason anyway lol

Redmoon

Is it worth it as a non Master / GM to try to get a character on the 3rd party Comp leaderboards for that hero (like top 1000), seeing as how they take SR into account when determining hero rank?

I seem to have the stats, but my current SR and solo Qing could be problematic for any fast advancing.

Palmer_v1

7-3 in placement matches and ended up at 2556, which is dead average? i hate playing reinhardt, cause if you're team is doing well, you're never going to medal in anything but objective time maybe. Ended up solo tank several times which was annoying.

finalflame

Let me know what freedom feels like. My conviction isn't strong enough to escape this hell.

I know how that feels dude :(

I just figure I could actually be having fun playing other games rather than tearing my fucking hair out because I'm just not good enough to carry myself in solo queue competitive. Can't get teams to coordinate. Can't sufficiently carry in my own. I had fucking 66 elims and 29k damage (Gold x 4) as D.Va and we just barely won. Then another losing streak.

But..your avatar!

Zarya and D.Va will always be bae.

Dropped from 2912 to 2520.
Im so close to... but then i realise i have nothing else to play right now:/

2843 to 2400. Dropping to gold can get fucked, I'd rather not play the game.

Gonna boot up Hyper Light Drifter.

Nekrono

Solo queue for comp in this game is so frustrating, I wouldn't mind if there was separate ratings one for premades and your own personal one.

Been losing almost 400 points already fuck this.

Played Quick Play for the first time in ages.

Numbani attack. I go Tracer to try and tease them at the objective. I immediately blink my way to point A and notice that no one's there. I single-handedly capture point A because the entire enemy team was busy fighting by the bus/truck. One Zenyatta tried to get me but he was easy to kill.

Ah, quick play. Where people apparently lack all form of situational awareness. A breath of fresh air <3

patchday

I just figure I could actually be having fun playing other games rather than tearing my fucking hair out because I'm just not good enough to carry myself in solo queue competitive. Can't get teams to coordinate. Can't sufficiently carry in my own. I had fucking 66 elims and 29k damage (Gold x 4) as D.Va and we just barely won. Then another losing streak.

I still havent gotten anywhere on that game. just dont get same thrill in single plauer as I do in MP games

Nimby

Banned
Nice widow play on the Gosu weeklies. Ana was keeping widow alive so the Genji couldn't take her out. This team ran Pharah/Mercy on offense and the Widow on defense, althought they switched to McCree after the first point.

Sure, I'll help! The XP you get from winning the game is much larger than the XP you get from a medal. The primary incentive is to win the game. Well designed. There you go.

That's where my mood scale swings indefinitely these days. I feel like I only play Overwatch to get frustrated. I go into it with high spirits, and within two poorly composed and quardinated games I'm in the foulest most defeated mood. No other game makes me feel so hopelessly crushed and demoralized like Overwatch. But like I said, no other games atm (cod4 plz)... maybe I should write a book.

I'm uninstalling. Done playing a game that makes me feel miserable. Fuck competitive.
I know that feel, part of me wants to quit cold turkey.
It's like I've imprisoned myself by getting so close to Diamond today only for it to remain out of reach, especially with the trifecta of leavers, clearly unbalanced stack situations and as of my last game a troll Mei teammate.

I've never simultaneously loved and hated a game so much.

Dang dude, this is amazing. Life changing even. I am so glad I watched.
Woah that Vault Dweller 111 fella did a pretty gob job, wouldn't you agree Vault Dweller 111?
....hey hang on a sec

patchday

Are there any tangible benefits beyond earning the golden weapons? Bragging rights are of no interest to me really.

nope! I only plan to do my promos like I did last season. I can understand the allure of ranked for people but I already got a lot of other games I play

Are there any tangible benefits beyond earning the golden weapons? Bragging rights are of no interest to me really.
1. More XP per match
2. Matches are longer(if you're into that)
3. Different rule sets that are generally better.
4. You get to play on both offense and defense to see which team is better.

You kind of just have to try it out for yourself to see if you'll like it. Try out your 10 placement matches and see if you enjoy it.

frye

The highs are high but the lows are so low that they will make you into a manic depressive.

There really is something about this game that makes me the saltiest motherfucker on earth. I've only really played tf2 and CS as far as shooters go (and like... Halo split screen) but the feeling of despair/helplessness in Overwatch when things go south is seriously next level shit

ISOM

The adrenaline of playing in matches that matter somewhat. Golden weapons, better competition and team comps.

Edit: Didn't see that you already mentioned golden weapons. I think if you just like the grind of getting to the top of the mountain then you will want to play competitive. If you absolutely hate frustration then it's probably best to stick to quickplay.

Nimby

Banned
Good Symmetra thread on the Blizz forums: http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20749027913?page=1

So ever since Blizzard said that pretty much everyone is playing Sym wrong, I'm guessing people theorized or maybe Blizzard said she is supposed to be an "eyes everywhere" character because of her turrets.

Yeah you can provide call-outs, but why is she lacking the ability Hanzo and Widow have when it's basically the same thing? With randoms factored in it makes no sense for her to not have this, if this is the character you want her to be. This also makes her very defense oriented, how would she use this theoretical turret call-out ability on offense?

ISOM

There really is something about this game that makes me the saltiest motherfucker on earth. I've only really played tf2 and CS as far as shooters go (and like... Halo split screen) but the feeling of despair/helplessness in Overwatch when things go south is seriously next level shit

Yeah, I've never felt had feelings like this with any other MP FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom