• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

rulerk1

bought the game now:) It kind of takes a while to level to get to 25, I hate to see the crawl to just 50

Can I get some fucking teammate that stay. On. The. Fucking. Payload.

Is it too much to fucking ask game.

Its weird that people were actually playing the object when I first started playing but as soon as I got level 10, it was pretty much team deathmatch. Even when everyone is dead, no one even tries to capture the objective

I'm having trouble figuring out Roadhog's ideal range for his alt fire

it seems to do less damage if you're too close but also if you're too far away

even the training range doesn't give me fully accurate results because his weapons have such large spread

xaosslug

Can I get some fucking teammate that stay. On. The. Fucking. Payload.

Is it too much to fucking ask game.

it's pretty hilarious on King's Row after you claim the first checkpoint and then die, returning from spawn and seeing 5 blue/yellow chevrons off in he distance... payload just sitting there. xD

even the training range doesn't give me fully accurate results because his weapons have such large spread
His alt fire shoots out a little ball that spreads after a certain distance, so if you shoot it too close, it will do just do 50 damage and the ball will just thud on them. Once it spreads out, and I think it spreads out at about 8 meters, it can do max damage. It has damage falloff as well, which is why it does less damage at further and further ranges.

8-10 meters is really the sweet spot for his alt fire.

I found this online, but what about ranges less than 8 meters but more than the effective range of the primary fire?

NxKxwCg.png

Blizzard

Banned
I've seen a few Mei's appear to put up walls at 90 degrees to themselves. is there something I'm missing?
On PC, right click to change the wall orientation before you place it.

Also in case you don't know, you can press the wall button again to remove a placed wall so teammates can get through.

I found this online, but what about ranges less than 8 meters but more than the effective range of the primary fire?
You shouldnt be fighting at those ranges then. Either close the gap and use your main fire and back up and use your alt fire.

Based on that chart, it seems to be about 4 meters, which isn't that large of a distance and it isn't that hard to make adjustments to how far away you are.

You shouldnt be fighting at those ranges then. Either close the gap and use your main fire and back up and use your alt fire.

Based on that chart, it seems to be about 4 meters, which isn't that large of a distance and it isn't that hard to make adjustments to how far away you are.

got it, that's about what I figured

thanks

anyway just joined a comp match with only one tank (me) and one support

pray for me

edit: lol won in like 2 minutes

Menome

Also in case you don't know, you can press the wall button again to remove a placed wall so teammates can get through.

*insert mindblown.gif here*

As my question got lost a few pages ago: Is ice-walling an attacking enemy's starting point worth doing, or am I actually causing a hassle for my team?

*insert mindblown.gif here*

As my question got lost a few pages ago: Is ice-walling an attacking enemy's starting point worth doing, or am I actually causing a hassle for my team?
It only costs them about 5 seconds, and this causes you to be away from your team, and you have to walk all the way back and set up with your team. You're probably better off just hanging back with your team and being set up with them.

And there is always the chance that you wall off one entrance, but they come out the other, and they chase you down and kill you.

Changing mccrees reticle to dot jumped up my accurracy from 25-35 to 40-50
:0
Overall Average is still 33%
If its not just luck these past few games it should go up

omg...

i knew about lowering the wall but i didn't know about the orientation thing

thanks!

Anyone want to do Season with me and my friend? We play the objective and work as a team. PS4

DJ_Lushious

I'm really getting tired of the bad PUGs.

I really hope Blizz ignores all the calls in their forums to nerf Hanzo. He really is perfect balanced. Yeah, scatter feels cheap sometimes, but there are a lot of things in this game that feel cheap but aren't OP.

I really wish all this Hanzo hate would go away. I like playing him and I play pretty good with him :/

Seriously, how can there be so many bad players?! I just played a game where our three DPS hung back and wouldn't push forward to capture a point. At all. The Reinhardt pushed forward and guessed what they did? Hung back. /FacePalm

I have a question and please don't take it the wrong way.

To all of you in this thread 2500 and below, what do you think is the problem that is keeping you that low? You all obviously understand how the game 'should' be played (which is 70% of the battle right there). You all play a decent amount it would seem, so what's keeping you from moving up? Obviously teammates can be shit, but it can definitely be overcome. I only ask because if you understand the game and are still stuck in the low 2000's i'd bet quite a bit that very simple adjustments would have you soaring up the ranks.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Got real frustrated at the comps I've been getting towards the end of my session.

So I decided to go mei on koth as a fuck it kind of move.

Ended up with gold elims, damage and steamrolled the other team.

Maybe I should be mei more on koth.

Got real frustrated at the comps I've been getting towards the end of my session.

She's incredible for KOTH. She's my go to pick.

Greddleok

I only ask because if you understand the game and are still stuck in the low 2000's i'd bet quite a bit that very simple adjustments would have you soaring up the ranks.

Curious, I'll answer.

I feel like what's keeping me down is that I don't have anyone reliable to play with. I usually get gold medals in damage/kills if I'm tank or DPS, and always get gold in healing if I'm Mercy (but that's not surprising).
I just feel like if the team of randoms don't gel well together, then I lose. If we do then we win. Half the time team comp has nothing to do with it, it's just whether everyone plays their role to the best of their ability and goes for the objective...or not.

What are the simple adjustments? I'm interested in anything that can give me a consistent rise.

Redmoon

Changing mccrees reticle to dot jumped up my accurracy from 25-35 to 40-50
:0
Overall Average is still 33%
If its not just luck these past few games it should go up

Dot is the best crosshair in this game for most hero's, at least for me. So simple, yet so good of a reticle. Also green or red seem to be the ebst colors, though I only use green. Stands out very blatantly against anything in the background, even daytime skies.

Curious, I'll answer.

I feel like what's keeping me down is that I don't have anyone reliable to play with. I usually get gold medals in damage/kills if I'm tank or DPS, and always get gold in healing if I'm Mercy (but that's not surprising).
I just feel like if the team of randoms don't gel well together, then I lose. If we do then we win. Half the time team comp has nothing to do with it, it's just whether everyone plays their role to the best of their ability and goes for the objective...or not.

What are the simple adjustments? I'm interested in anything that can give me a consistent rise.

What is your rank?
Do you try to communicate with the randoms?
Do you use ults wisely? Do you try to combine them with others?
Do you try to counter pick heroes?
How many different heroes can you play?

Sorry to bombard with questions. My go to suggestion would be to get REALLY good with Zarya, Tracer, Reaper, or McCree and just carry teams. But maybe I can be of more help if you answer the above.

Antiwhippy

To all of you in this thread 2500 and below, what do you think is the problem that is keeping you that low? You all obviously understand how the game 'should' be played (which is 70% of the battle right there). You all play a decent amount it would seem, so what's keeping you from moving up? Obviously teammates can be shit, but it can definitely be overcome. I only ask because if you understand the game and are still stuck in the low 2000's i'd bet quite a bit that very simple adjustments would have you soaring up the ranks.

O trust me i don't think my technicalities are amazing or anything. i think o still have a lot to learn in regards to positioning and just pure mechanical skill.

Though really i think the thing holding me back in this rank is not enough shot calling. So everybody's situational awareness is really bad. Even the people with mics seen reluctant to shot call for some reason.

Wanna get a mic to remedy that.

See the thing is I've seen plenty of meis get blown up on KotH. So I was always hesistant.

Maybe they aren't as good as me. >_> <_<
Yeah you just need to keep an eye on your health and freeze heal/ice wall yourself in a corner as necessary to keep yourself from dying. Her ult also wrecks on KOTH.

I trust me i don't think my technicalities are amazing or anything.

Though really i think the thing holding me back in this rank is not enough shot calling. So everybody's situational awareness is really bad. Even the people with mics seen reluctant to shot call for some reason.

Wanna get a mic to remedy that.

Mic solves a ton of problems, especially if you know the correct picks, it kind of becomes like you are leading the team. Even if no one is talking, they usually listen.

It definitely won't solve all the problems but being able to say "Zenyatta/Lucio down, Zarya ult them." could make all the difference.

Antiwhippy

Mic solves a ton of problems, especially if you know the correct picks, it kind of becomes like you are leading the team. Even if no one is talking, they usually listen.

It definitely won't solve all the problems but being able to say "Zenyatta/Lucio down, Zarya ult them." could make all the difference.
Pretty much. I try to help out by typing in between deaths but that's not as useful.

I guess my problem would generally using Ults better. I miss so many pulse bombs with Tracer. I don't see randoms combining Ults often enough as well.

Greddleok

What is your rank?
Do you try to communicate with the randoms?
Do you use ults wisely? Do you try to combine them with others?
Do you try to counter pick heroes?
How many different heroes can you play?

Sorry to bombard with questions. My go to suggestion would be to get REALLY good with Zarya, Tracer, Reaper, or McCree and just carry teams. But maybe I can be of more help if you answer the above.

I'll answer. I don't take offence :)

Communication: No. I tried a couple of times and just got abuse. I do "group up" and "need healing" (as a healer to try and help people pinpoint where I am). I also shout when my ult is ready or nearly ready.

Ult usage: I always try to combine. Although I do waste some ults. The lets I waste the most are 76's - sometimes I just blow it thinking there's a group when it's just 2, and D.Va's - sometimes I place it poorly, or I use it because I'm low health and need a new mech asap rather than dying.

Counter picks: I try. My preferred tank is D.Va, but if there's a decent Zarya I'll switch out to my own Zarya or Rein.
If there's Bastion I switch to take him out fast then switch back once I die or if he repositions.
If I get repeatedly killed by the same person I switch to an easier counter.

Number of heroes:

Good: D.Va, 76, Mercy
Above Average: Pharah, Zarya
OK: Rein, Roadhog, Zenyatta
Bad: Lucio, Tracer

Most of the others I've tried and dislike, or haven't played enough to really get a good feel of them.

I can't carry with those characters - I am still learning Zarya, I die a little too often by over extending. I have some fantastic games, and some shit games.
Can't stand McCree and Reaper. Their play style doesn't fit me.
I'm terrible at Tracer. She's my 3rd most played character but I'm shit with her. Not aggressive enough, too aggressive, bleh.
I'd rather play tanks.

Tabby

I play a lot of supports and tanks, I'm unlucky and I don't play competitive that much. I think I've only got 20 games and I'm ranked 2300.

4-1 in my placement matches so far, all with randoms who aren't mic'd

thank you omnic gods

I feel like the xp gain per time is drastically lower in comp than in QP

I'll answer. I don't take offence :)

Communication: No. I tried a couple of times and just got abuse. I do "group up" and "need healing" (as a healer to try and help people pinpoint where I am). I also shout when my ult is ready or nearly ready.

Ult usage: I always try to combine. Although I do waste some ults. The lets I waste the most are 76's - sometimes I just blow it thinking there's a group when it's just 2, and D.Va's - sometimes I place it poorly, or I use it because I'm low health and need a new mech asap rather than dying.

Counter picks: I try. My preferred tank is D.Va, but if there's a decent Zarya I'll switch out to my own Zarya or Rein.
If there's Bastion I switch to take him out fast then switch back once I die or if he repositions.
If I get repeatedly killed by the same person I switch to an easier counter.

Number of heroes:

Good: D.Va, 76, Mercy
Above Average: Pharah, Zarya
OK: Rein, Roadhog, Zenyatta
Bad: Lucio, Tracer

Most of the others I've tried and dislike, or haven't played enough to really get a good feel of them.

I can't carry with those characters - I am still learning Zarya, I die a little too often by over extending. I have some fantastic games, and some shit games.
Can't stand McCree and Reaper. Their play style doesn't fit me.
I'm terrible at Tracer. She's my 3rd most played character but I'm shit with her. Not aggressive enough, too aggressive, bleh.
I'd rather play tanks.

That sucks about getting shit on with the mic, but I still think it's worth doing. Especially if no one seems to be talking. (This is probably totally different on PC if that is your platform, because they could type 'F off' or whatever, sorry not much I can do if that's the case.) Always try to offer advice but never be a dick. "Guys we probably don't need 4 DPS." But lead by example, don't be one of those 4!

Never trickle in, and tell your teammates the same.

The counter picking is good, and you can try to politely point out if something isn't working, or asking them to pick a counter. Kind of a personal preference, is occasional abuse worth more wins? That's totally up to you.

It's a shame you don't care for the carry heroes, but I would practice Zarya more if I were you. And if you are the best player on your team than Mercy might not be the best pick. Maybe add Zen to your roster, he can save teammates from ults, makes it easier for your team to get kills, and can still be a beast on his own, and of course he takes away one of those dreaded healing spots that I'm sure your teammates rarely want to fill.

And just ask around on Gaf. There are always people looking to team up, and a group of two or three can make all the difference.

I can't really be of more help without watching some games of yours. But if you really do know how the game works, and you play a lot. You should be able to climb. Good luck!

Our Ana Nano Boosts a fucking Hanzo...

Anas keep N-Boosting my D.Va, and there's almost always a Reaper on our team. I'm not a terrible candidate for it or anything (as long as there's a cluster of enemies to bowl into), but... Reaper! Right there!

Also- getting 'Boosted as Rein is life. Best iteration on Whack-a-Mole ever: so many squishies, so little time.

Can Mei ever be used for offense successfully or should I just switch to someone else for that in comp (and sacrifice my cards and medals ;_; )

Greddleok

There is still a ton for me to learn about the game, but I feel like I have down the basics. I should watch more pro matches, but man I really don't enjoy watching other people play video games.
Are there any good resources to read? I've been going through Icy Veins, but it just seems to say the most painfully obvious stuff.

I will try jumping on the mic, and I'll work on my Zarya game. I just feel she sucks at the initial push if you're on attack. I suppose there's no harm in taking Rein to start with then swapping to Zarya once the payload gets moving.

Can Mei ever be used for offense successfully or should I just switch to someone else for that in comp (and sacrifice my cards and medals ;_; )
How are you sacrificing cards and medals? I've had plenty of games where I play multiple heroes and still get plenty of cards and medals.

As for Mei, she is actually very useful on offense. Ice block is ice block, use wall to block of enemies from reaching their teammates and use it to get to high ground. Her weapons are great for offense, and her ult is great for clearing points.

I would just ignore the offense and defense names because a lot of the defense heroes are actually better on offense, like Hanzo and Widow. Mei feels equally good on both.

Azoor

Mei is most useful in halting and distracting people, so it's best to use her at defence. Especially for maps like Route 66 and Gibraltar.

How are you sacrificing cards and medals? I've had plenty of games where I play multiple heroes and still get plenty of cards and medals.

As for Mei, she is actually very useful on offense. I've block is ice block, use wall to block of enemies from reaching their teammates and use it to get to high ground. Her weapons are great for offense, and her ult is great for clearing points.

I would just ignore the offense and defense names because a lot of the defense heroes are actually better on offense, like Hanzo and Widow. Mei feels equally good on both.

Because you're only getting half the playtime? I'm not saying it's impossible but it's certainly much harder. 30 elims in one round is a gold for QP, in comp 30 elims is a bronze The idea is that you play a hero for two rounds instead of 1 like QP but that isn't true if you're switching off in between games.

Because you're only getting half the playtime? I'm not saying it's impossible but it's certainly much harder. 30 elims in one round is a gold for QP, in comp 30 elims is a bronze The idea is that you play a hero for two rounds instead of 1 like QP but that isn't true if you're switching off in between games.
Except medals and cards aren't meant for specific heroes? Especially medals. There are cards for heroes, but cards for gold medals, elims, damage, etc, are for everyone.

Also, you do realize that your teammates have the exact same experience as you right? It's not like you're the only one who switches heroes. And if you're getting the same amount of elims in comp than in QP, than you're either having bad games, or your team is steamrolling. You should have a higher amount of elims in comp than in QP.

And again, this is a game all about switching heroes and you're making it out that you think switching heroes is bad -_-

And like I said, I've had plenty of games where I played multiple heroes and still got plenty of gold medals and cards.

I can't believe how far you drop in rank vs how little you gain in victory for how long matches last. This is the first time I've really sunk my teeth into comp since I qualified, and I dunno, between losing way more then you gain and the length of matches, it doesn't feel rewarding.

For me at least, there's so little incentive to continue. The blow would be lessend somewhat if you got cp (even half) for a loss, but you get nothing. I constantly feel as though this game takes more then it rewards.

I guess this would be a non-issue if I was playing with friends instead of randoms. But until then, I think I'll stick to the no-frills quick play. It doesn't promise me a shiny golden carrot at the end, but at least it pats me on the head for a loss.

There is still a ton for me to learn about the game, but I feel like I have down the basics. I should watch more pro matches, but man I really don't enjoy watching other people play video games.
Are there any good resources to read? I've been going through Icy Veins, but it just seems to say the most painfully obvious stuff.

I will try jumping on the mic, and I'll work on my Zarya game. I just feel she sucks at the initial push if you're on attack. I suppose there's no harm in taking Rein to start with then swapping to Zarya once the payload gets moving.

Pro matches really only tell you the 'meta' and how the game looks when played with 6 amazing players. Not much help to us. I understand hating watching people play games. But people like Stylosa(unit lost gaming) and Force gaming usually just talk while showing footage of some random game, and they give really good advice to 'normal' players like us.

And for the record, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a lower rank, if you are having fun then who gives a crap? But the horror stories about Windowmakers, Bastons, etc lead me to believe that some would like to climb a bit higher.

From my personal experience I really don't enjoy average of 3500+ games. It's way too serious and win or lose, I feel very overwhelmed. That's why me and Lik are a great team, we average out to about 3000 or so, and I love those games. People seem friendly, but still know how to play, and I can still do very well in the matches.
Please never level up Lik
, higher is definitely not always better.

So find your sweet spot, and then just enjoy the game.

Ramirez

I think Mei should be an auto lock on almost every KOTH map. You'll get some comments from people unwilling to give it a try, but she's incredible if played right. She can harass the shit out of Zarya and block off her ults, not to mention all of the area denial and delay she can produce in the hill.

Mei is incredible on Anubis B too, I don't think I've lost that point a single time when I use her.

Except medals and cards aren't meant for specific heroes? Especially medals. There are cards for heroes, but cards for gold medals, elims, damage, etc, are for everyone.

Also, you do realize that your teammates have the exact same experience as you right? It's not like you're the only one who switches heroes. And if you're getting the same amount of elims in comp than in QP, than you're either having bad games, or your team is steamrolling. You should have a higher amount of elims in comp than in QP.

And again, this is a game all about switching heroes and you're making it out that you think switching heroes is bad -_-

And like I said, I've had plenty of games where I played multiple heroes and still got plenty of gold medals and cards.
Dude I really don't know how else to put this. There are individual hero medals and those medals are harder to obtain if you switch a character mid match.

I don't think switching heroes is bad, you're putting words in my mouth. I said Blizzard is punishing people for hero switching which is hardly a rare opinion. At the end of the day I'll switch to ensure a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom