• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too! I mean, I'm only level 14ish, but still. I've played two nights in a row now, approximately 20 games, and only won once. Once! It's fucking brutal and slightly maddening. Had way more fun during the free weekend when everyone was clueless. It's definitely way more competitive than I was hoping for.

That's what makes it so addictive, the highs and lows.

Indeed. The buzz I get when everything comes together and we hold the enemy team off is just the best. Just finished a Control match where we came back from 2 losses to win the match, and it was the best feeling ever. Almost makes up for the utter aggravation of the last few nights of watching my ranking plunge. But as someone who never got into MP of anything before this, it is amazing how much this game has sucked me in.

cyborg009

Banned
Good Symmetra thread on the Blizz forums: http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20749027913?page=1

So ever since Blizzard said that pretty much everyone is playing Sym wrong, I'm guessing people theorized or maybe Blizzard said she is supposed to be an "eyes everywhere" character because of her turrets.

Yeah you can provide call-outs, but why is she lacking the ability Hanzo and Widow have when it's basically the same thing? With randoms factored in it makes no sense for her to not have this, if this is the character you want her to be. This also makes her very defense oriented, how would she use this theoretical turret call-out ability on offense?

I've used Symmetra more than most people but I kind of get why Blizzard thinks were using her wrong. Even her teleport can be considered not used it's maximize potential. I've place a teleporter near a enemy spawn like on king's row but told everyone not to use it unless you have a ultimate ready for a sneak attack. The enemy team was searching for it but could never find it.

But I'll agree that she doesn't feel she should be in the healers class.

benzopil

So many Mercy mains on PS4 today and so many defeates.

Look I now Mercy is pretty but why main her if she's not good for every situation? In my opinion Lucio and Zen are still much better than she is, especially if we have only one tank. Will you chase Tracer and Genji or heal me, Lucio? I had to pick a second healer because everyone is playing DPS...

Today was a sad situation, our Mercy main (lvl 550!!!) was so bad on defence (and used his ult only one time) that one of our teammates instapicked Mercy so that guy chose another character. You know what? He picked Symmetra on attack. And after 30 seconds left the game. Did he punish us or what? We would've lost anyway. And it was Diamond rank.

Something dies inside me when I see Mercy instapick.

There really is something about this game that makes me the saltiest motherfucker on earth. I've only really played tf2 and CS as far as shooters go (and like... Halo split screen) but the feeling of despair/helplessness in Overwatch when things go south is seriously next level shit

gotta stop playing without me b

Crzy1

So many Mercy mains on PS4 today and so many defeates.

Look I now Mercy is pretty but why main her if she's not good for every situation? In my opinion Lucio and Zen are still much better than she is, especially if we have only one tank. Will you chase Tracer and Genji or heal me, Lucio? I had to pick a second healer because everyone is playing DPS...

Today was a sad situation, our Mercy main (lvl 550!!!) was so bad on defence (and used his ult only one time) that one of our teammates instapicked Mercy so that guy chose another character. You know what? He picked Symmetra on attack. And after 30 seconds left the game. Did he punish us or what? We would've lost anyway.

Something dies inside me when I see Mercy instapick.
I pick her first a lot of the time, but I'm on PC. Zipping around between everyone is probably much easier with a mouse and keyboard. I think she has the second highest potential behind Ana to really turn the tables of a fight, but if the other team is heavy with flankers Lucio is always the better option. I'm twice as effective with a team that's coordinated and helping me stay alive, most groups that won't provide that were going to lose regardless of my pick, plenty of times I've swapped it up and the lack of coordination can't be outweighed by my pick. Tracer and Genji are flankers, if you're flanking, you have to know when to get out and grab that health pack, don't blame your healer for overly aggressive play.

While healers can make or break a team, blaming them entirely for a loss that they couldn't prevent anyway isn't helping anyone.

Nimby

Banned
I've used Symmetra more than most people but I kind of get why Blizzard thinks were using her wrong. Even her teleport can be considered not used it's maximize potential. I've place a teleporter near a enemy spawn like on king's row but told everyone not to use it unless you have a ultimate ready for a sneak attack. The enemy team was searching for it but could never find it.

But I'll agree that she doesn't feel she should be in the healers class.

I think it's really lazy for Blizzard to just say she's a misunderstood character. Which she kinda is but not that way Blizzard thinks, but look at Winston. In the pro scene he sees lots of use, they definitely understand how to use him despite the average player thinking he may be weak, Symmetra however is the opposite. Sees very little to no use at all, and it would pretty bold to accuse people who have been playing the game since closed beta days they do not understand how to play Symmetra.

The meta reports don't provide a full picture of hero performance, but it is a clear indicator that Symmetra has some issues. If I remember correctly, Zarya was one of the heroes people did not want to play when the game started, and had a low pick rate. Now as we've seen how good she is, that kinda turned around. Zarya is usually in most comp games at a high level at least.

People are using her to utmost potential really, the kind of tactic you described doesn't really work all the time. It may catch people by surprise, but people who've had time with the game know all about the teleporter. It makes it hard to really get anything with it.

Also, it's the support class not everyone needs to heal. Symmetra really doesn't need healing to be a good support, right now she is definitely lacking though. She doesn't really even feel like a full-blown defense hero.

1. More XP per match
2. Matches are longer(if you're into that)
3. Different rule sets that are generally better.
4. You get to play on both offense and defense to see which team is better.

You kind of just have to try it out for yourself to see if you'll like it. Try out your 10 placement matches and see if you enjoy it.
I like comp for reasons 2-4 but the more xp per match is negated by how much longer they are. In terms of xp qp is a much better bang for your buck.

Anyone up for competitive on PS4? Add me UltimaPooh.
I'll add you when I get back from work. Should be done with that/eating dinner by 11pm EST. I'm Psychoward23, mainly play Roadhog, Rein or Lucio in comp if anyone else wants to add me. Reaper and Mei if my team has enough support or tanks (so basically never lol)

I-hate-u

I dropped from 3150 to 2550. Can anyone top that? I am now actually trying my hardest to lose every match. If I am going down, might as well bring everyone down with me.

giphy.gif

Skii

Mercy is the biggest fucking liability in KOTH. The one on my team did absolutely nothing. She would constantly switch healing just as you engage. Then that person switched to Lucio in the second round and we actually won but then they switched back to Mercy and we proceed to lose the next two rounds. It just doesn't work on KOTH unless you have a second heal.

It didn't help that I was the only solid DPS on the team and the Zarya we had was absolutely terrible who ulted twice as most of the team died/had no ults.

I don't understand how you're supposed to outplay that when the opposing team has gone Reaper, Tracer, Zarya, Winston, Lucio and Zenyatta. That's a bloody pro comp :/

Holy crap. I had a guy message me to join team chat. Fucking pogchamp.

And he then went on to shit on my buddies Soldier along with the other guys. Went back to group chat immediately. Not dealing with that kind of shit.

At least it was a draw.

LiK

Holy crap. I had a guy message me to join team chat. Fucking pogchamp.

And he then went on to shit on my buddies Soldier along with the other guys. Went back to group chat immediately. Not dealing with that kind of shit.

At least it was a draw.

yup, team chat is trash. there is absolutely no reason to burden yourselves with verbal abuse from strangers for a video game.

ISOM

I dropped from 3150 to 2550. Can anyone top that? I am now actually trying my hardest to lose every match. If I am going down, might as well bring everyone down with me.

giphy.gif

Damn now you're in my range. Don't do that. Just stop playing the game when you're actively trying to grief others.

HMD

So I'm level 23 now, and I need to hit 25 to start playing in competitive. Should I start competitive immediately after hitting 25 or should I master the game a bit more on Quick Play before trying? Also if I start immediately after hitting 25 and lose a bunch of games will it negatively affect anything? Or should I just keep trying?

Tovarisc

So I'm level 23 now, and I need to hit 25 to start playing in competitive. Should I start competitive immediately after hitting 25 or should I master the game a bit more on Quick Play before trying? Also if I start immediately after hitting 25 and lose a bunch of games will it negatively affect anything? Or should I just keep trying?

Only you can answer question if you should start immediately at 25. Do you have few heroes you are confident / comfortable with? If yes then ranked should go fine. Also losing placement or ranked games only affect your Skill Rating placement, doesn't affect level progress in any way. If you want higher SR than you get after placements you just need keep trying and improving (on top of hoping good MM RNG).

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Never trust the tier icon.

A person literally could have somehow tiered as grandmaster and have a bronze skill rating. But it'll still show the grandmaster icon. Sure it's an extreme example but thats the main reason why you never look at the icon. The icon only shows the highest tier a person has achieved and not their actual current.

sikkinixx

Did a quick play and three people picked Junkrat. So fuck it, I took him too.

Soon we had 6 junkrats.

It didn't go well lol

I fired up the mic on PS4 and just heard a few people coughing so I turned it off.

Also, as someone who is new at the game, fuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccck Genji people. Especially where there are two hunting together.

I'm 19 but you wouldn't be able to tell from my voice, everytime I call somewhere people think I'm a dad lol. Which is funny because I started playing games with an online group when I was 14 so my voice was squeaky as shit then and then one day I became unrecognizable over chat.

Anyway on topic I sober up within 20 minutes so I don't bother drinking when I game. I'll smoke and play local mp games a lot though.

There really is something about this game that makes me the saltiest motherfucker on earth. I've only really played tf2 and CS as far as shooters go (and like... Halo split screen) but the feeling of despair/helplessness in Overwatch when things go south is seriously next level shit

I've been playing video games for over 20 years

No video game has ever made me more angry/sad/depressed as Overwatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom