• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Banned
A good Pharah on enemy teams is a pain in the ass. Nothing sucks more than when you have two guys play Soldier and McCree and they can't take her out for the team. Had more than one game in Comp where a good Pharah was destroying us. I had to switch to Soldier in a few games just to take her out or at least make her retreat.

This is why you run zencio.

LiK

I think Pharah is pretty oppressed right now. Soldier alone was fairly obnoxious if he focused you since he was also a good pick against everyone else. McCree is very similar - strong against the field, excellent against you. My girl Pharah can't even spread her wings. She's a peacock and you gotta let her fly.

Oh yea, I'm on console. So if you're on PC, i get it.

KyleCross

Got a food team together, got to Rank 51! Probably won't get above that by season end, but it'd be nice to gain two more ranks for extra competitive points. Probably won't happen tho.

Soulflarz

Banned
last...one

I realize you can't solo queue reaper, can you?

Unless you actually vastly outplay your opponents which wont be often (in lower ranks, I mean)

...Brb McCree main now

Jokab

Btw about the points you get from this season. As I understand it 60-64 get 200 points? Or whatever those are called, those you get one of for each win. You need 300 for golden weapon. I have something like 150 stocked already. Does that mean I'll have 350 when the season ends and I can buy a golden weapon?

LiK

Btw about the points you get from this season. As I understand it 60-64 get 200 points? Or whatever those are called, those you get one of for each win. You need 300 for golden weapon. I have something like 150 stocked already. Does that mean I'll have 350 when the season ends and I can buy a golden weapon?

Yes

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
last...one

I realize you can't solo queue reaper, can you?

Unless you actually vastly outplay your opponents which wont be often (in lower ranks, I mean)

...Brb McCree main now

I feel like you need a much higher skill ceiling to solo carry as mccree.

Reaper on KotH solo is pretty alright.

Mccree is just more versatile. If you're bad like me though he's much less survivable than reaper. Improving everyday though! I think.

Jokab

I always feel like ult usage is one of my biggest weaknesses but apparently 5 barrage kills and 5 deadeye kills is top 10% in each? Sounds really low.

Soulflarz

Banned
I feel like you need a much higher skill ceiling to solo carry as mccree.

Reaper on KotH solo is pretty alright.

Mccree is just more versatile. If you're bad like me though he's much less survivable than reaper. Improving everyday though! I think.

I think Reapers just kinda trash with bad teammates because you push and no one does anything off it and then you kind of die and have to explain to 5 people why you're "trying to solo 6 people" which isn't the purpose of your flank at all. You also get no passive heals from a badly positioned lucio or even a harmony from zen.

Jellie

A good Pharah on enemy teams is a pain in the ass. Nothing sucks more than when you have two guys play Soldier and McCree and they can't take her out for the team. Had more than one game in Comp where a good Pharah was destroying us. I had to switch to Soldier in a few games just to take her out or at least make her retreat.
Tell me about it. Had a guy on my team in solo queue who only played soldier (60 hours maybe) and he couldn't kill pharah once. Kept getting 2 shot by her. To be fair to the soldier, the pharah was 76, top 500 and on PS4.

Antiwhippy

I mean, unless the skill gap is massive I don't think you can solo a team as anyone really.

Like mccree, probably a safer bet if you're good at getting picks from midrange, but you definitely need a tank and healer near you to make sure you're not picked off constantly.

Soulflarz

Banned
I mean, unless the skill gap is massive I don't think you can solo a team as anyone really.

Like mccree, probably a safer bet if you're good at getting picks from midrange, but you definitely need a tank and healer near you to make sure you're not picked off constantly.

I don't even think semi pro can solo team

had a match where I basically only had pushes when I teamwiped ult, 3 and hurting others badly wasnt enough. If they won't push on that, you're physically at an impossible situation.

OKAY PLACEMENT DONE
that was totally tryhard and not at all trolling for 3hr :V

Banzai

Looks like I'll end the season at rank 53. I'm satisfied with that.
Still need to farm lootboxes before the summer games event ends. Currently at level 103 so the next few should be easy.

Who's Gaf's highest ranked OW player?

Oh yea, I'm on console. So if you're on PC, i get it.

That's the difference. I always forget about the game being a multi-plat.

I'm 70 right now. I think Kor of Memory is 76 or something.

The only character that can really carry in this game is Genji, since his ult can be so devastating and happen so frequently combined with his speed and mobility to acquire health packs when you need them. Even that can be countered by character picks though.

Soulflarz

Banned
Looks like I'll end the season at rank 53. I'm satisfied with that.
Still need to farm lootboxes before the summer games event ends. Currently at level 103 so the next few should be easy.

TJ Ramirez and I hit 76, I was 93/500, roub was 400s or so and 74
Uhh
Someone else

...those are all PS4. Limit it to PC, since PS4 has the inherent issue of
-grab friends
-have one learn zen, one play lucio
-have at least one competent DPS
Congrat's you're now guaranteed at least rank 65. My group played 1.5-2hr every other day and still landed 70+ by the time comp rolled around.

Anne

TJ Ramirez and I hit 76, I was 93/500, roub was 400s or so and 74
Uhh
Someone else

...those are all PS4. Limit it to PC, since PS4 has the inherent issue of
-grab friends
-have one learn zen, one play lucio
-have at least one competent DPS
Congrat's you're now guaranteed at least rank 65. My group played 1.5-2hr every other day and still landed 70+ by the time comp rolled around.

You can do that on PC too. It's harder to do a bit because PC is more competitive while still being more dense. I'm 70 on PC through solo queue and if you have Lucio/Zen + a solid DPS you can win basically any game. If you run into the mirror then you obviously need a bit more, but ti doesn't come down to much.

Eh, zen was not the monster he is now at the start of comp.

Back then it came down to who had the better Mercy ults most of the time. If you had a Mercy that could get off two ults a fight then you just never lost.

Ertai

So i probably know the answer to this. Does anything carry over from console to PC like unlocks? I want to pick up the PC version but don't want to lose out on my unlocks. I linked my b.net account if that helps.

Soulflarz

Banned
Eh, zen was not the monster he is now at the start of comp.
Oh wait. I forgot- my small group didn't play comp at the start, we basically quit and screwed around, the one who loved zen heard buffs, then we ranked.

You can do that on PC too. It's harder to do a bit because PC is more competitive while still being more dense. I'm 70 on PC through solo queue and if you have Lucio/Zen + a solid DPS you can win basically any game. If you run into the mirror then you obviously need a bit more, but ti doesn't come down to much.

Yeah except I have no friends who fit that criteria on PC andd...
I don't have time to spend in solo queue. Tried my last match in placements seriously and...no thanks
People in the 50s don't understand how to push beyond the "group up", since the when to move up part is the entire pushing part.
>_>

Antiwhippy

Back then it came down to who had the better Mercy ults most of the time. If you had a Mercy that could get off two ults a fight then you just never lost.

Which wasn't really that much more fun than the current support meta if I'm being honest.

Though slightly more fun because you can fly free in the skies as pharah then . :'(

Soulflarz

Banned
Which wasn't really that much more fun than the current support meta if I'm being honest.

Though slightly more fun because you can fly free in the skies as pharah then . :'(

Telling you, OW is the king of "I don't enjoy the meta let me play who I want gosh" then people getting mad about losing even though playing the meta is so free.

Anne

It was a bit better in the sense that there were a few more slots open at the time and character diversity was higher, but it was also less fun in the fact that one strat was basically mandatory which then decided games on the regular.

Like meta is always gonna have a "general strat" and high pickrate heroes. The eventual goal is to lessen the "mandatory" slots and make it so one strat isn't all you see.

Soulflarz

Banned
Blizzards kind of failed this consistently for a year and I don't expect that to change. Which is weird, because comp matches come down to luck of the draw assuming you're competent enough to be out of your level range.

Antiwhippy

Well to be fair, I do sympathise with people having characters they like that get pushed out by the meta as a DVa, Mei, and Zen main even pre-buff (I played lucio more but that's more out of need than preferring to play lucio over zen).

I sometimes feel like I probably should have stuck it out more with them at the start rather than playing the meta too much though, because at my level it probably doesn't matter as much.

Blizzards kind of failed this consistently for a year and I don't expect that to change. Which is weird, because comp matches come down to luck of the draw assuming you're competent enough to be out of your level range.

Wellll, 3 months or so if you don't count the betas. :p

Soulflarz

Banned
It kind of does
You won't be at your level much longer if you play the meta.

50s in skill can get to 65 if they play it if just the zen and dps are good. (Lucio doesn't even need the speedmode strat to do it)

Also hey wait
Count the betas, what else are they for :v

Azoor

OMG... I've been into a match with the nicest Overwatch players ever.

I went into the match, the other team wished us good luck, we wished them back, our team nicely asked each other to have certain roles and all accepted. We had an almost even match, and ekpt encouraging each other, and even though we lost, the interaction between us has been great and put us on the "prefer this player" list so we could meet again one day.

It was beautiful ;_;

Anne

It depend on how you learn. There's no point "maining" a character ever if you want to be competitive or good. It's worth having a general pool of characters to go to depending on meta. Like I can play the entire offense category minus Pharah at my SR. No matter what, I have a DPS that fits meta and I mainly play the DPS role. If for some reason Genji ends up shit, I can just play him less and go learn Pharah and focus on whoever is good.

I feel really bad for people that just like one character and wanna play that character because they will forever be fucked by evolving metagames and optimization in a game that favors switching and using diff characters on maps/modes. Like I know a few people that really just wanna play Widow and I dunno what to tell them. That character has a good chance of being bad for a bit, to the point there's almost no reason to actively practice her.

Also Blizz hasn't had a super fucked meta until this one. As much as people will go on about double monkey and Mercy meta, the game has been pretty open over time with periods of varied strats. We're just in a sweet spot of "shit's figured out" and "wow Lucio/Zenyatta are busted" to make it really shitty. Now it's up to Blizz whether they wanna actually nerf top tiers and bring the game back in line with the cast, or if they wanna open up the revolving door of powerspike bullshit. There will always be a "new top tier" post nerf (I'm pegging Ana if she's unchanged while Lucio/Zen are nerfed), but it can be manageable at the least.

Soulflarz

Banned
My friend only played D Va cause hes a self proclaimed weeb.

...prebuff.
He got lucky.

I don't even love Reaper anymore since it's either team steamroll or questioning why my team still can't push.
I just fear I'd move on from OW if I stopped reaping.

Antiwhippy

I dunno, I like diversifying my characters, which is kinda a detriment. Problem with liking to play everyone is that I don't think I've fully mastered anyone? Closest is probably DVA.

Looking at my stats I've used 20 characters in ranked which is probably too much. :p

Also I'm kinda terrible at DPS which I'm trying to improve before S2. I got pretty good at pharah but then... yeah.

Anne

I dunno, I like diversifying my characters, which is kinda a detriment. Problem with liking to play everyone is that I don't think I've fully mastered anyone?

Looking at my stats I've used 20 characters in ranked which is probably too much. :p

If you wanna get good, that's usually a bit much. Focusing on 5~ at a time is best, even then pick 2-3 at a time to really get into until you learn them.

Soulflarz

Banned
Hence luck of the draw
It's better to master a few classes because you're doomed if you get a support guy and you and your friend both main support, for example.

Antiwhippy

Also looking at the top DVA players on overbuff and 1 guy has a 93% winrate of 402W to 30L as DVA?

What.

Even through the chances of probability that seems a bit insane.

duckroll

Also looking at the top DVA players on overbuff and 1 guy has a 93% winrate of 402W to 30L as DVA?

What.

Even through the chances of probability that seems a bit insane.

Why? If a player mains Dva and plays exclusively in a fixed group all the time and they're all very good, those odds seem good.

Anyone in the SR 60's/70's still playing on PS4 atm? Trying to make that last push for top 500, currently rank 71.

PSN is SgtWiggles, I can play mostly any role though I'm best with Zarya and Zen.

Solo Q competitive has been god awful for me.

Dropped from high 50's to low 40's.

/wrists.

If you want to solo and actually get anywhere I've found you have to either be a good Lucio or Zen. OR be a godly McCree or Genji. Otherwise you'll lose a % of games simply due to poor team comp.

maouvin

OMG... I've been into a match with the nicest Overwatch players ever.

I went into the match, the other team wished us good luck, we wished them back, our team nicely asked each other to have certain roles and all accepted. We had an almost even match, and ekpt encouraging each other, and even though we lost, the interaction between us has been great and put us on the "prefer this player" list so we could meet again one day.

It was beautiful ;_;

I remember when quick play was friendly like that (at least on LATAM servers, and before Comp existed). Those were the days.

duckroll

The nicest Quick Play matches I've had are the ones where both teams play proper during the game, the teams communicate among themselves, and when the match ends, win or lose, there are compliments for players who performed well and gave the other side trouble. I remember one match I had where after winning with a Bastion at the final point at Route 66 Defend, one guy on the other team started going off about how we couldn't win without a Bastion and getting salty as fuck. His own team mates told him to shut up and that we won because we protected our Bastion. Lol.

Ramirez

I think I'm going to quit solo que next season. My final game last night was a team of 3, team of 2 (1 top 500) and a single top 500 vs 6 randoms in the 60s. It absolutely broke me, the teams were so fucking unbalanced, the game wasn't even close.

I just cannot wrap my head around how often this shitty matchmaking system puts you up against teams with 5 other randoms.

Jellie

Anyone in the SR 60's/70's still playing on PS4 atm? Trying to make that last push for top 500, currently rank 71.

PSN is SgtWiggles, I can play mostly any role though I'm best with Zarya and Zen.
If you posted this yesterday I'd have been trying for top 500 still but I lost 4 in a row so think top 500 is unattainable for me this season at least.

Ramirez

I think I played with or against you last night.

I went like 1-8 in competitive yesterday, just misery all around.

I think I played with or against you last night.

I went like 1-8 in competitive yesterday, just misery all around.

Lol had a really good streak of random matches and somehow went from like 68 to 71, so I'm gonna keep trying for it until time runs out.

Just playing for tonight until I lose, then I'll start again tomorrow

Redmoon

Took the whole season, but I got my placements done, just for the points. Got 56. Now I wait for season 2 to see where I actually rank (whether higher or lower).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom