• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone up to play? PSN: Incitesyne

These randoms are killin' me.

I'm done for the night but you can add me for another night, I'm always looking for more people to play with - my ID is in my profile.

Also your PSN looks awful familiar, I think I played either with you or against you earlier tonight.

I'm done for the night but you can add me for another night, I'm always looking for more people to play with - my ID is in my profile.

Also your PSN looks awful familiar, I think I played either with you or against you earlier tonight.

Cool, I'll add you

We may have as I jump in with some gaffers on my list randomly

Astral

Wow it really seems that if you don't have a Zen + Lucio combo in competitive, you fucking lose. That's so annoying. That's two whole slots on mandatory characters. I feel like those two greatly overshadow the other support characters when working together.

Soulflarz

Banned
Wow it really seems that if you don't have a Zen + Lucio combo in competitive, you fucking lose. That's so annoying. That's two whole slots on mandatory characters. I feel like those two greatly overshadow the other support characters when working together.

Welcome to OW

31-6
that was braindead, please never again blizz

Anne

Been preaching it for awhile. Those two are breaking the game :<

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
What the hell is scumming someone on comp said my team was doing it?
Lv 40 rank with a Lv 60+? Some people do that so they have a low team average to play against people they normally wouldn't get paired up against.

They've already said Zen is getting hit with the nerf bat soon and that they're not done tweaking Mercy so L+M will probably be a viable option again when that happens.

Anne

I'm still thinking if discord is at 30% and Lucio retains 110% amped speed boost we'll continue to exist in a meta that resembles what we have now. Only thing that would change really is Ana can be swapped for Zen if you want the early fight advantage. In that case Ana still has synergy with all the currents DPS and defense characters are still niche/ass. I guess Pharah might come back but that doesn't change much except make Mei strats worse.

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm still thinking if discord is at 30% and Lucio retains 110% amped speed boost we'll continue to exist in a meta that resembles what we have now. Only thing that would change really is Ana can be swapped for Zen if you want the early fight advantage. In that case Ana still has synergy with all the currents DPS and defense characters are still niche/ass. I guess Pharah might come back but that doesn't change much except make Mei strats worse.

With you here.

Discord strat isn't solely done because the boost is 50%, it's done because no one can counter it reasonably, and 150%->130% won't ruin that blitz.

ISOM

Has Blizzard mentioned possibly nerfing his speedboost?

Anne

With you here.

Discord strat isn't solely done because the boost is 50%, it's done because no one can counter it reasonably, and 150%->130% won't ruin that blitz.

I mean it'll be noticeably weaker/slower at 30% but with Lucio still amping into fights the strat is intact.

Has Blizzard mentioned possibly nerfing his speedboost?

Not yet. They've mentioned some buffs/nerfs on the forums that they are considering but only for a couple characters and it's nothing concrete.

So I finally decided to actually do my placement matches before season end and here are my stats below. Don't mind the Zen one as I ended up playing him last 2 games because we had 1 person leave each game and the rest of the team decided to play snipers. I am pretty content with them. I'm only level 32 on PC and just started putting time into the game the last couple weeks. What do you guys think?

sulnd5t.png

I may have had the worst team I've seen thus far. Attack on Dorado, with two Torbjorns, a Symmetra, a Widow, and a Hanzo. I figured those Torbjorns would at least put their Turrets on the payload, to keep the things mobile, but instead they both scouted ahead to presumably spawn-camp. The Torbjorns must have inspired that Symmetra too, since she figured it was a good idea to place the teleporter near the enemy spawn. Not that any of it helped, since the red team kept charging in anyway.

That left me, a Reaper at the time, with two snipers to push the Payload, and neither of those two had any intention to get close to the thing. I switched characters a few times, but it was an exercise in futility and frustration.

I touched it. I touched 70. ;-; It's been years since they left me to rot in this matchmaking hellhole. And now I'm coming back.

Strix: Out of ELO Hell, coming soon to a theatre near you.

ISOM

Just had my first 83% kill participation and with D.va who I rarely play. Had Gold damage as well. Almost makes me want to main her.

My McCree is becoming pretty legit. No one really stands a chance against him at mid range if you can hit some shots. We played against two Genji's and I shut down about 7 dragon blades with just flash bang and good aim.

Think I'll be bringing a pretty competent McCree and Zarya into S2 to go along with my other 'mains'.

stats dont mean anyything in a sense

Agreed. I've gotten my McCree aim up to 50%+ and try and keep deaths low but I usually get put on teams of people that love to push up high and always get caught by DVA ults so it doesn't mean anything. Don't really matter in the end as long as I am having fun. I wonder how I would do in a premade team of people who actually can play the game properly.

Ellite25

Do you guys think that the ranking system hurts players that get a low ranking early on by preventing them from getting out of that bracket?

Right now I'm a level 39 and I started at 45. I got back up to 44, only to have a terrible losing streak where I'm often paired with people ranked in the low 30's or upper 20's. Often times these people don't know wtf they're doing. Regardless of how well you play as an individual, if the team loses you drop the same amount. I'll have good games and we'll still lose easily. Do you think this prevents good players from ranking up and playing with other good players? I guess having the second season should remedy this as we start fresh, but it's frustrating playeing with people that don't seem to know what you're doing or that drop out only to screw you.

Soulflarz

Banned
Do you guys think that the ranking system hurts players that get a low ranking early on by preventing them from getting out of that bracket?

Right now I'm a level 39 and I started at 45. I got back up to 44, only to have a terrible losing streak where I'm often paired with people ranked in the low 30's or upper 20's. Often times these people don't know wtf they're doing. Regardless of how well you play as an individual, if the team loses you drop the same amount. I'll have good games and we'll still lose easily. Do you think this prevents good players from ranking up and playing with other good players? I guess having the second season should remedy this as we start fresh, but it's frustrating player with people that don't seem to know what you're doing or that drop out only to screw you.

'Possibly', unless you're like 60+ and good enough to consistently offset that.

K almost at 2 to go

You hear some funny things in these ranks. "Why are you reaper on defense" "Bastion is good" "Stop dying they get on fire which gets them more ult" "Someone kill the Pharah -soldier"

Right now I'm a level 39 and I started at 45. I got back up to 44, only to have a terrible losing streak where I'm often paired with people ranked in the low 30's or upper 20's. Often times these people don't know wtf they're doing. Regardless of how well you play as an individual, if the team loses you drop the same amount. I'll have good games and we'll still lose easily. Do you think this prevents good players from ranking up and playing with other good players? I guess having the second season should remedy this as we start fresh, but it's frustrating playeing with people that don't seem to know what you're doing or that drop out only to screw you.

I mean, it definitely does keep people locked into a range which is why Blizzard is adding the tiers. I imagine whatever data they have supports this. But it also puts people in higher tiers than they should be while the 50/50 matchmaking system slows advancement/dropping through the ranks to a crawl. Whole placement system is out of whack right now. I run into an inordinate amount of players - especially players in the 55-60 range - who are much, much worse than they should be for being the top 5% or whatever.

ISOM

It's really hard to get out of the lower ranks if you're not good enough to carry a team. If you have a character you're really good with and constantly rack up golds with, play that. Or play in a group of friends who are at a similar level and you will start to rank up definitely.

Soulflarz

Banned
the system is stupid because if your friends are a good lucio/zen youre guaranteed 65

performance too, since you perform better with good competent healers and stuff

ISOM

I mean, it definitely does keep people locked into a range which is why Blizzard is adding the tiers. I imagine whatever data they have supports this. But it also puts people in higher tiers than they should be while the 50/50 matchmaking system slows advancement/dropping through the ranks to a crawl. Whole placement system is out of whack right now. I run into an inordinate amount of players - especially players in the 55-60 range - who are much, much worse than they should be for being the top 5% or whatever.

I think a lot of players get carried in teams or groups and end up at a higher rank than they should be.

Soulflarz

Banned
finally hit the 40s for teammates
I think I'm an awful person but it's 2:40 and I really don't want to play anymore tonight so 2 matches to go

s2 I'll play PC and PS4 then see how diff they are. 18hr wouldn't have been enough (as in, not on tomorrow, and 18hr before it ends)

Jokab

I really don't think so. Referring to a post I made earlier in this thread:

You need to realize that the other 11 players in your games are over time constant in skill level relative to the rank. That's why the matchmaking system put them there. The only variable across a large set of games is you. If you play better than your rank over time, you will rise in rank. If you play worse, you will lose rank. Since you have 50% winrate, it seems you should be where you are right now. 64 games is a small sample size, but honestly pretty decent in this context.

If you're good enough to carry the team, i.e. be the force that drives your team to victory, then you're better than your rank and should rank up. If you perform on the same level as your team then you're at the correct rank, as you will all be roughly the same rank.

LiK

My McCree is becoming pretty legit. No one really stands a chance against him at mid range if you can hit some shots. We played against two Genji's and I shut down about 7 dragon blades with just flash bang and good aim.

Think I'll be bringing a pretty competent McCree and Zarya into S2 to go along with my other 'mains'.

Cool, the more Pharah killers the better.

Anne

Elo hell isn't real. If you're good enough to be in the 50-60 range and you're in the 30-40 range you are good enough to carry yourself out. You won't win 100% but you can get enough to get yourself out of there.

Jokab

Elo hell isn't real. If you're good enough to be in the 50-60 range and you're in the 30-40 range you are good enough to carry yourself out. You won't win 100% but you can get enough to get yourself out of there.

Before one of my friends I play with stepped up his game he was at around rank 42, I hover around 60. Every time we played I destroyed the games, it wasn't even close. We didn't win all of them but our winrate was very high. Goes to show that the skill difference over just ~18 levels (hell, even 10 or 5) is clearly enough to skew the game.

LiK

I don't like this guy.

A good Pharah on enemy teams is a pain in the ass. Nothing sucks more than when you have two guys play Soldier and McCree and they can't take her out for the team. Had more than one game in Comp where a good Pharah was destroying us. I had to switch to Soldier in a few games just to take her out or at least make her retreat.

A good Pharah on enemy teams is a pain in the ass. Nothing sucks more than when you have two guys play Soldier and McCree and they can't take her out for the team. Had more than one game in Comp where a good Pharah was destroying us. I had to switch to Soldier in a few games just to take her out or at least make her retreat.

I think Pharah is pretty oppressed right now. Soldier alone was fairly obnoxious if he focused you since he was also a good pick against everyone else. McCree is very similar - strong against the field, excellent against you. My girl Pharah can't even spread her wings. She's a peacock and you gotta let her fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom