• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Yeah, Winston is the only tank that really gets hurt by discord. Rein has his shield, Zarya can cleanse herself, Roadhog is used to getting out of LOS anyways, and Dva can DM his shots long enough for him to just give up or for you to escape. Winston does have his jump, but he doesn't have something as long lasting DM to wait out the cooldown, so Zen tears him apart.

Roadhog is hurt by discord too, especially when he tries to ult as a clutch. Discord tears through Winston because his play style kinda requires jumping into the mix, taking as much damage as he can when distracting the enemies and spreading them out, before jumping out of range and getting heals.

CivRab

Hit ranked 62, does anyone know if its your highest reached rank that gives you the end of season reward? Wanna try for 65 but don't want to risk going below 60 if it isn't.

Anne

BS, there is more at work here. You can only do so much. It is INSANELY frustrating when I can kill 3 characters by myself but my team dies instantly from 2 of their characters. You can not carry that, you also get screwed by leavers and people who exploited the forced server crash. You can't kill every single character on the enemy team without an ult and also focus on the objective souly. If your team is not good enough to take advantage of your plays, you aren't winning.

I think a problem with people who say this is that they don't realize how terrible these players actually are. Even on the other side they are sometimes scattered so you have to hunt down characters to kill them. Had a player on my team go soilder even though I told the team I was going soilder to deal with the turrets quick and easy, locked me out of it, ignored me and did not even attack the turrets. It was like the player wasn't even listening to anything, just playing.

I mean if a player is really that much better it doesn't matter how shit their team is because the enemy team should be close to the same level. You won't win every time, but if you can edge out 60%+ winrate you'll rank up until you hit a stopping point.

I really just don't buy that elo hell is real cause I've leveled solo q through the 50s all the way to the 70s and I'm not even special. Like I understand you get shit handed to you sometimes, but it's all about beating the odds. You just have to be good enough to carry more than 50% of the time, which if you beling in a higher elo then you can do. If not, you're not good enough to avoid having the SR you have now. I've proved it, others have proved it, etc.

Elo hell is really just a concept people have to cope with the fact they are stuck where they are and aren't good enough to overcome the odds.

Jokab

BS, there is more at work here. You can only do so much. It is INSANELY frustrating when I can kill 3 characters by myself but my team dies instantly from 2 of their characters. You can not carry that, you also get screwed by leavers and people who exploited the forced server crash. You can't kill every single character on the enemy team without an ult and also focus on the objective souly. If your team is not good enough to take advantage of your plays, you aren't winning.

I think a problem with people who say this is that they don't realize how terrible these players actually are. Even on the other side they are sometimes scattered so you have to hunt down characters to kill them. Had a player on my team go soilder even though I told the team I was going soilder to deal with the turrets quick and easy, locked me out of it, ignored me and did not even attack the turrets. It was like the player wasn't even listening to anything, just playing. I'm convinced one of these players was baked out of their damn minds when playing.

Do I need to quote myself again? lol
You need to realize that the other 11 players in your games are over time constant in skill level relative to the rank. That's why the matchmaking system put them there. The only variable across a large set of games is you. If you play better than your rank over time, you will rise in rank. If you play worse, you will lose rank. Since you have 50% winrate, it seems you should be where you are right now. 64 games is a small sample size, but honestly pretty decent in this context.
If you play than your rank, you will rise in rank. If Seagull played your rank he would destroy every single game. He perhaps wouldn't win every single one of them - in some games even he might not be able to carry the teammates. But over time he would rise in rank very quickly.

A person that is not Seagull but rather just in a rank that does not reflect his or her skill level, will rise in rank too, just slower. You will lose some games, win some. But if you're better than your rank you will rise over time.

Anne

Lemme put it this way. If you have a 50% winrate you stay the same. To go down, you need a lower winrate right? So people say that they can attribute more than 50% of their losses to their teams? I call bullshit on that.

"but Anne, my teammates are really 40% of my losses"

If by some twist of cruel fate you have that shit of luck (you dont), then that means the other 10%+ of losses is on you. If you're that much better, you should be not fucking up like that. If you don't mess up, suddenly you have 60% winrate. Huzzah, you rank up.

I do think the current SR system is shitty, but it's not shitty enough to make en elo hell of itself.

LiK

It's hard to face several directions at once, though, and most KotH points can be hit from all angles. He's better when there's a more obvious front to push or hold.

I'd take any other tank over him for koth honestly.

true, but I've seen some pretty good ones in Comp. Sometimes his Ult can be devastating when combined with another Ult on the point. He just hangs right outside the point and bam, Earthshatter.

Dispatch

I know this is not that big a deal to most of you, but my initial rank was level 37, and I proceeded to dip down all the way to 29. When I saw that Blizzard was going to reward people at the end of the season with CPs, I was embarrassed to be at the lowest tier.

Finally, this morning, I worked hard to reach level 40. I know it means I'm still in the lower percentile of Overwatch players, but it felt damn good to get out of the bottom tier.

I know this is not that big a deal to most of you, but my initial rank was level 37, and I proceeded to dip down all the way to 29. When I saw that Blizzard was going to reward people at the end of the season with CPs, I was embarrassed to be at the lowest tier.

Finally, this morning, I worked hard to reach level 40. I know it means I'm still in the lower percentile of Overwatch players, but it felt damn good to get out of the bottom tier.
Congrats. If you did it playing Lucio (your av), then you are a noble soul.

R0ckman

Do I need to quote myself again? lol

If you play than your rank, you will rise in rank. If Seagull played your rank he would destroy every single game. He perhaps wouldn't win every single one of them - in some games even he might not be able to carry the teammates. But over time he would rise in rank very quickly.

A person that is not Seagull but rather just in a rank that does not reflect his or her skill level, will rise in rank too, just slower. You will lose some games, win some. But if you're better than your rank you will rise over time.

This is assuming people aren't quitting, people aren't crashing the servers etc. When I first solo'd people were crashing the server at least every play session (as in every period I sat down and played) I was in. If you only have time for a handful of matches a night you aren't going to climb. Maybe if you sit there for 6 hours you will.

Even in Seagulls stomp videos he's got people with him to save him from mistakes. I have to go find health packs, reposition etc. Because I'm always not garunteed to fight the enemy one on one. You also need to do this while mainting the objective. Remember the enemy team is scattered sometimes like yours.

Prelude.

Alone? Congrats.

Jokab

This is assuming people aren't quitting, people aren't crashing the servers etc. When I first solo'd people were crashing the server at least every play session (as in every period I sat down and played) I was in. If you only have time for a handful of matches a night you aren't going to climb. Maybe if you sit there for 6 hours you will.

Even in Seagulls stomp videos he's got people with him to save him from mistakes. I have to go find health packs, reposition etc. Because I'm always not garunteed to fight the enemy one on one. You also need to do this while mainting the objective. Remember the enemy team is scattered sometimes like yours.

You are not understanding me.

If you flip a coin enough times, since your selection is random (you have no way of consciously influencing which way it lands), you will approach the natural distribution of 50/50 for heads/tails respectively. This is quite intuitive: if you flip 1000 coins you will likely be very close to 500 heads and 500 tails, again assuming the coin is equally weighted, giving an equal probability of landing on either side. This phenomenon is called the Central Limit Theorem and is essential to understanding basic statistics:

The central limit theorem states that the sum of a number of independent and identically distributed random variables with finite variances will tend to a normal distribution as the number of variables grows.

Likewise, in your game you have 11 other players in any given game. We can assume these players are independent of eachother in relation to you, and we can assume they are random. The skill of the players do not affect eachother from one game to another, each game is a clean slate .You agree up until here, right?

Okay, so the theory here is that if you play enough games, the skill level of these players will approach the natural distribution, or average, just like when you flip the coins. What is the average, you ask? It's the average skill level of your rank. By this logic, the other players you play with will, over time, be constant in skill level. You will get games where your team sucks ass and you get rolled, and you'll get games where the opposite is true. I'm not saying just because you are better than the other players in your game you will win every game. Some games there will be someone trolling, making your team lose. But that person is just as likely to be on the other team, unless you are somehow influencing that event. I doubt you are.

So if the other 11 players are constant, the enemy team will have 6 of them and your team will have 5. Are you an average player for this skill level? Then you'll have equal probability of winning this game. On the other hand, are you better than this skill level? That means your team will, on average, have 5 average players and one good player, while the other team has 6 average players. You do the math on who wins most of the time.

The reasoning above is not 100% mathematically correct but it gets the point across.

Dumb question but do I have to complete my placement matches to get the end of season rewards? I know the answer is likely yes but I'm hoping someone says no because I don't think I have the time to complete 9 more placement matches before the season ends tonight lol

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Dumb question but do I have to complete my placement matches to get the end of season rewards? I know the answer is likely yes but I'm hoping someone says no because I don't think I have the time to complete 9 more placement matches before the season ends tonight lol

Yes.

Mendrox

If you flip a coin enough times, since your selection is random (you have no way of consciously influencing which way it lands), you will approach the natural distribution of 50/50 for heads/tails respectively. This is quite intuitive: if you flip 1000 coins you will likely be very close to 500 heads and 500 tails, again assuming the coin is equally weighted, giving an equal probability of landing on either side. This phenomenon is called the Central Limit Theorem and is essential to understanding basic statistics:

Likewise, in your game you have 11 other players in any given game. We can assume these players are independent of eachother in relation to you, and we can assume they are random. The skill of the players do not affect eachother from one game to another, each game is a clean slate .You agree up until here, right?

Okay, so the theory here is that if you play enough games, the skill level of these players will approach the natural distribution, or average, just like when you flip the coins. What is the average, you ask? It's the average skill level of your rank. By this logic, the other players you play with will, over time, be constant in skill level. You will get games where your team sucks ass and you get rolled, and you'll get games where the opposite is true. I'm not saying just because you are better than the other players in your game you will win every game. Some games there will be someone trolling, making your team lose. But that person is just as likely to be on the other team, unless you are somehow influencing that event. I doubt you are.

So if the other 11 players are constant, the enemy team will have 6 of them and your team will have 5. Are you an average player for this skill level? Then you'll have equal probability of winning this game. On the other hand, are you better than this skill level? That means your team will, on average, have 5 average players and one good player, while the other team has 6 average players. You do the math on who wins most of the time.

The reasoning above is not 100% mathematically correct but it gets the point across.

i guess he understands that but I know where he is coming from when you have game after game people leaving and fucking your rank up even though you cannot do shit then (except for hoping that you win with 5 against 6). It happens to many people constantly and I guess it's even worse in the lower ranks because people are not having fun after a round anymore and think they cannot win anymore and just leave the game at lower ranks.

This theory works if you play more than 500 or even more ranked matches to distribut the unlucky people a bit more, but some people are mega unlucky with their teammates and that is also the reason that they don't want to play at all anymore.

Jokab

i guess he understands that but I know where he is coming from when you have game after game people leaving and fucking your rank up even though you cannot do shit then (except for hoping that you win with 5 against 6). It happens to many people constantly and I guess it's even worse in the lower ranks because people are not having fun after a round anymore and think they cannot win anymore and just leave the game at lower ranks.

This theory works if you play more than 500 or even more ranked matches to distribut the unlucky people a bit more, but some people are mega unlucky with their teammates and that is also the reason that they don't want to play at all anymore.
The original argument was that "there is only so much you can so". There is in fact a lot you can do.

R0ckman

Okay, so the theory here is that if you play enough games, the skill level of these players will approach the natural distribution, or average, just like when you flip the coins. What is the average, you ask? It's the average skill level of your rank. By this logic, the other players you play with will, over time, be constant in skill level. You will get games where your team sucks ass and you get rolled, and you'll get games where the opposite is true.

But the thing is, you have to assume when you win, you are getting full exp for your win and you are not getting crashes. I played about 3 games at a time when I was solo playing and getting early quitters and sometimes disconects on wins I should have had, the way the system was then I was not able to climb, I'm not sure if it has been fixed since then.

The mathematical argument works in theory but even outside of that there is a higher chance of quitters the lower you go for even mundane reasons, infighting, like not getting to play the character they want. Server crashes etc. so play times where I would get 2 wins and 1 loss it would be 1 win one loss and a waste of 20-30 minutes.

The interesting thing is if this argument was that solid, Blizzard would actually use it rather than encourage you to group up for the best experience. The thing is on the opposite end of this argument people who claim they are carrying in solo to get out of hell are probably not giving absolutely any credit to their team. Your team always plays a part even when they suck but what it comes down to is if they are playing as a team. In a recent qp match my team was doing terrible on the last push on temple of anubis and they finally all flanked in that cooridor on the left, I noticed so I went on the right and ulted while they were distracting the enemy. They thanked me, but I know I could not have done that without them doing their part.

I'm going to experiment with Zen in solo comp today, see if I can save my team. I'll take the day off and play longer sessions.

Pratfall

zen is one of the best genji counters in the game atm. if you nerf him, get ready to be genji'd even harder...unless they also touch genji

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
zen is one of the best genji counters in the game atm. if you nerf him, get ready to be genji'd even harder...unless they also touch genji

Eh, genji's rise was mostly to take out zen and also to take out discorded people. He's nowhere near the best genji counter.

Nazo

Seeing people in here calling for Reaper nerfs is really kinda crazy to me. I'll admit I have a bias as a Reaper main but I don't think he is overpowered at all.

duckroll

Congrats dude. That's pretty awesome. Being that low must suck, but it's the nature of a Competitive Mode that once you lose motivation, it just gets worse. Sometimes a ticking clock is the best excuse to just try to push out of that zone. :)

LiK

yea, Reaper feels fine to me. smart Reaper players know when to retreat into Wraith form and they know when to flank.

arimanius

Tried my best to push to 56 the last 2 days. Couldn't get past 54. Rank has really sucked the fun out of this game for me. Going to take a break until season 2 and hopefully the tweaks will make the game fun again.

Edit* Those new voice strings make me thing Sombra is going to be a 12 year old hacker.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Eh, genji's rise was mostly to take out zen and also to take out discorded people. He's nowhere near the best genji counter.
Genji got way better when the meta became 4x 200hp heroes and 2 of them are support. That and he holds his own, if not favored, vs. McCree.

Also, Reaper is awesome and fine. He melts tanks + anyone who happens to be an inch away from his face.

Zen helps Genii more than he hurts him really. A harmony orb on Genji makes him a pain to kill. A nerf to Zen will see a rise in Winstons to counter Genji.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I had the best day of playing. Me and a bunch of randoms won 5 games in a row. With zero voice communication, we played so perfect. I was Lucio every game and got my best numbers of healing ever because the team mostly stayed together. It was so good.

I dread today may be the complete opposite, lol. I have only had the game for about 2 weeks, but I am really getting why it is so addictive.

Weren't people saying that you can flash bang Genji's feet and he can't deflect? That shit is not true at all. Between his jumping momentum sending him clear across the room, him just dashing away when he burns his reflect for nothing and the aforementioned big ass hitbox nailing that fucker is more on him fucking up than anything.

Go to hell Genji.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Zen helps Genii more than he hurts him really. A harmony orb on Genji makes him a pain to kill. A nerf to Zen will see a rise in Winstons to counter Genji.
Yeah and discorded enemy targets makes Genji insane. You can just combo kill any squishy with no effort and then just right click tanks to death. It's pretty sweet.

Beckx

Yep, mostly as Lucio, or as D.Va, or Reinhardt sprinkled in as needed. At my low-level, seeing a single healer or a single tank is the norm.

I do feel as if I've gotten better, though.

man, is that ever the truth. so many times people ask for a specific thing the team needs and I say i can switch off Lucio to play thing, but no one ever wants to take over as him.

looking back at my stats if i had just played Lucio the whole time i might've climbed out (64% win rate compared to losing rate with...everything else). i should probably accept that my role is support and not fight that, heh.

congrats on climbing out!!

Really mad at last night's play session. I started as 43 (not great, I know), and dropped to 39 by the end. Lost 5 matches in a row. 3 of them we had hanzos and widowmakers who refused to change (different players each time, too). One time we had a guy who always chose bastion on KOTH and I don't think even got 1 kill because he always tried to set up in the control point and was immediately taken out.

I was switching between zarya, winston, reaper, lucio, even junkrat on KOTH, but nothing could help these teams.

The worst game of all was when we started on Hanamura and my team went Zenyatta, Symmetra, Torb, Tracer, and Soldier. I initially went D.Va, but said we might want to consider lucio and maybe switch off symm or torb for another tank, depending on their push. I was attacked immediately by one guy, and everyone else piled on calling me a noob. They said symm and torb were gods on this map, and I was basically a traitor for suggesting that someone else switch characters.

They played the entire game as those characters (I think they were in a group) and we lost each point in under 60 seconds. It was basically a single push. I switched characters once or twice to try and carry/counter, but my team attacked me the entire match for even suggesting we needed to switch it up. I mean, I am willing to admit I'm only an average-to-slightly-below-average player...but I know that the entire game is built around switching it up when needed.

It was incredibly frustrating, to say the least. I'm getting depressed about solo queuing and running into these people all the time. It's nearly impossible to climb out of the 40s when you have people in almost every match that refuse to even join the voice channel, and pick hanzo or widow and just sit back and snipe and never got close to a payload or point.

matmanx1

Lemme put it this way. If you have a 50% winrate you stay the same. To go down, you need a lower winrate right? So people say that they can attribute more than 50% of their losses to their teams? I call bullshit on that.

"but Anne, my teammates are really 40% of my losses"

If by some twist of cruel fate you have that shit of luck (you dont), then that means the other 10%+ of losses is on you. If you're that much better, you should be not fucking up like that. If you don't mess up, suddenly you have 60% winrate. Huzzah, you rank up.

I do think the current SR system is shitty, but it's not shitty enough to make en elo hell of itself.

This has been discussed a lot but I think there are at two big factors that we might be overlooking that have have had a direct impact on the SR situation and they are sort of related.

At the beginning of the season the exp gained for a victory in which a member of the enemy team left was miniscule. I had quite a few of those happen to me so my gains were small but by comparison my losses were normal sized exp losses. Even with a 50% ratio I still lost rank until that bug was fixed.

Related to that, I don't have a lot of time to play. My average was probably 2 Comp games a night and I think I ended up at 54 total for the season. Had I played a lot more I would have been able to overcome that early exp deficit (and my rank did rise steadily towards the end of the season, from 41 to 47) but on a limited time budget it just didn't work out for me to get out of the 40's.

I don't know this for a fact but I believe that those who gained a whole lot of rank since the beginning of the season have played quite a few more Comp matches than 50 or 60 to overcome some of that early exp penalty. Over a smaller sample size an unlucky streak of bad team mates plus the leaver problem is going to hurt someone to a disproportionate degree. I don't think you can argue that.

For those reasons I am eagerly looking forward to Season 2 and new placement matches. I know I have improved in pretty much all areas and hope to place higher and then not be a victim of the leaver penalty which really hurt my early Season 1 play.

Hey guys, I was thinking about playing this again but the thing that really put me off when I was playing on launch month was the console controls. The deadzones are just off which makes transitions between diagonal, horizontal and vertical inputs inconsistent and atypical when compared to other shooters like Destiny, Uncharted, Call of Duty or Titanfall.

Has that changed in any way since launch? There are quite a few popular posts on reddit about it (see link), but I haven't heard anything about a resolution.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4oqr5f/since_were_talking_torb_and_console_changes_can/

BigDug13

There's no real counter to genji's ult except something like transcendence though. That's where he's the counter. Not offensively, but a counter to Genji ult.

There's no real counter to genji's ult except something like transcendence though. That's where he's the counter. Not offensively, but a counter to Genji ult.

I stun Dragonblades a lot with Rein and maybe hook him with hog half the time. I'm sure a McCree stun and Ana sleep are viable too, but there are definitely other viable methods to Genji's ult

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom