• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

maomaoIYP

The same thing happened to me but ive noticed that the majority of players i play with on my smurf are all under 100, where as on my main account they are usually 200-300.

I've also noticed a huge difference in matchmaking times between the two accounts. The only conclusion I've come to is that there are a lot more players in my skill level between 200-300 than sub 100.

My region has comparatively less players, so it wasn't the case at all. This image is more or less representative for my smurf account.
CsASeBFUIAAfeFt.jpg:large

maomaoIYP

I'm only talking about quickplay and arcade :p
Ranked is always only ever going to match you with players of a similar SR.

I didn't take a screenshot of QP, but I guarantee you it's the same thing. It's easy to recognize all the usual regulars in my region because there aren't all that many of them.

Blues1990

I got the feeling most people have gravitated to arcade since you get bonuses and some people actually liked the hero stacking. *shudder*
You haven't lived when it's an all-out Junkrat VS Junkrat on KOTH. :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that they rearranged how Quick Play works now, & you can practice for Competitive Mode without having weekend warriors breathing down your neck. But I also need my share of dumb fun, so I'm glad that they didn't get rid of the original QP mode. Plus, you can earn loot boxes!

Want to know the most pointless item in Overwatch?

An Ana highlight intro...

I've never seen one. And I've spent weeks trying to get one. I've gotten an Ultimate, powered-up a teammate while at the same time got multiple kills with my biotic refile and/or grenades. Yet every single time, the teammate I power-up gets the Play of the Game.

I'm guessing Blizzard doesn't care since not that many people use Ana. But they really need to adjust the POTG criteria, so non-attacking or low-damage characters actually have a chance of getting POTG. Otherwise yeah things like highlight intros for certain characters are completely pointless and certain characters end up having less appeal causing everyone to loadup on the same characters all the time.

J Jizzle

I just finished my first placement matches and got 2525. Do I have enough time to improve on my bracket for the reward or should I just stick with that?

Cappa

Banned

I've never seen one. And I've spent weeks trying to get one. I've gotten an Ultimate, powered-up a teammate while at the same time got multiple kills with my biotic refile and/or grenades. Yet every single time, the teammate I power-up gets the Play of the Game.

I'm guessing Blizzard doesn't care since not that many people use Ana. But they really need to adjust the POTG criteria, so non-attacking or low-damage characters actually have a chance of getting POTG. Otherwise yeah things like highlight intros for certain characters are completely pointless and certain characters end up having less appeal causing everyone to loadup on the same characters all the time.

Blizzard has talked about this and they are looking at ways to fix the POTG, or have a separate highlight intro for ASsist of the game or something like that.

Theres an interview somewhere where they talk about this(I tried googling it but couldnt find it).

Ive seen maybe 3-4 Ana POTG but yeah thats pretty much it.

Fancolors

I think it was this Blizzcon, but they said they were working in a way of including more characters in POTG such as a high five intro or something character specific.

Cappa

Banned
I think it was this Blizzcon, but they said they were working in a way of including more characters in POTG such as a high five intro or something character specific.

yeah thats where I remember reading about it too, but now I cant find it anywhere.

Only found this, which is actually a few things I had no idea about... so posting it just in case anyone else didnt read it either.

They'd love to do more PvE content like Junkenstein's Revenge in the future.
Competitive 1v1 and 3v3 could happen if the community wants to see it. For now though, just the Arcade.
It would be amazing if every hero got their own animated short. They're currently just doing them one at a time.
Mercy's story is something they're really interested in and although they aren't making announcements today, we can expect more in the future.
Lots of energy has been spent on 12:9 resolutions with regards to fairness of FoV and size. The current implementation is something they are happy with.
Roadhog's Hook is actively being reworked where they're trying to improve the feel of fairness of getting hit by it.
They haven't figured out how the make the leaver situation not bad in the majority of cases.
Leavers are"rare" and "not happening frequently" but they do need to still try and balance punishments when its abused.
They'd like to encourage players to go into team chat more instead of sitting in their personal party chat. Interface could be improved.
Being able to start parties with people that aren't your friend is something they'd like to do.
The report player system is still being looked at to give people different grades of punishment based on their bad behaviour.
Environmental changes like adding rain or snow to maps without it is something the team discusses a lot.
Quick play works the best when matchmaking filters aren't heavily influencing it.
One day they'd like to have a server browser to matches to hop into.
Diversity is very important to the team. With Overwatch taking place on Earth, they wanted it to be a game that drew upon history and nationalities of places on Earth.
Events are still something the team is looking at improving and doing more of. Community feedback is helpful in determining what to do for future events and what not to do.
A new story is coming out soon (not Blizzard soon) which will showcase more of the LGBT side of Overwatch.
More technology will be built to help tournaments.
No current plans for a solo-only queue. They don't like the idea of separating queues.
Jeff wants to remind everyone that the "Church" on Dorado is actually a Courthouse. He'd like his teammates to respond to his cries for help at the Courthouse to actually make their way over there.
The tournament at Blizzcon was running on 143 tickrate over the normal 62.5.

I get them a lot in 3v3. Also you don't want the constant Mercy POTGs to come back, do you?

Plesiades

Would a SP campaign be a separate purchase for the cash grab or added like the rest of the other features?

They havent done anything before to think it wouldnt be free.

If they make one, I think they are going to charge for it. Look at the Nova missions for Starcraft II for reference.

I'm curious to see how they'd tackle the idea of having characters that play differently between single player and multiplayer, thanks to future balance changes or complete reworks. For example, what if they release a campaign for Tracer with her current build, but a year from now they decide to remove her Blink ability. This also makes me wonder if the 'Soldier 76' from the tutorial is its own thing.

spongebob340

Neo Member
They havent done anything before to think it wouldnt be free.

In my opinion they are searching for ways to moneytize and expand Overwatch.

I guess the new game is a bit like destiny in the Overwatch universe:

Co-Op Story Missions, Strikes, Raids...you name it.

They can sell them piece by piece. It would even explain the recent cancelletion of the the Frist Strike Comic.

Imagine you can replay the First Omnic Crisis not just read about it.

Plesiades

In my opinion they are searching for ways to moneytize and expand Overwatch.

I guess the new game is a bit like destiny in the Overwatch universe:

Co-Op Story Missions, Strikes, Raids...you name it.

They can sell them piece by piece. It would even explain the recent cancelletion of the the Frist Strike Comic.

Imagine you can replay the First Omnic Crisis not just read about it.

Maybe we will have an "Overwatch Starter Edition" with free access to the Arcade. That way they can sell stand alone content to people who don't own the base game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I am really sick of playing with mercies.

Especially at my level.

Because they don't know how to revive.

And they keep running head on into battle even though they have revive.

Meaning that they can't do the only thing she's good at.

All my games featured mercy today and I count 1 actaully useful rez.

Skii

Especially at my level.

My favourite ones are the Mercys that continue to heal in overtime when they have res. How dense do you have to be? Just hide ffs. She obviously dies first to the Genji and then everyone is forced to use ults at a massive disadvantage.

Greddleok

Self confessed shitty Mercy here.

I wish I could competently play a support. My Ana game is close to acceptable, but all the rest I suck with.
Still struggle to hit those Tracers and Genjis on my team who are almost dead and bouncing around.

Lost 2 SR one match, then gained 2 SR the next. Matchmaking working as intended I guess.

Although the second match wasn't really that one sided. I did manage to get a self destruct quad kill which is nice

Paltheos

Self confessed shitty Mercy here.

I wish I could competently play a support. My Ana game is close to acceptable, but all the rest I suck with.
Still struggle to hit those Tracers and Genjis on my team who are almost dead and bouncing around.

One tactic I learned from a very helpful video is to not focus fire on exactly where you predict they'll be but to shake the pistol back and forth to confuse them. Obviously situational but if you're in a one-on-one fight with no way out it can make a difference.

Anne

Tbf the only reason I'm any good at Ana is because I frequently play McCree/Mei and have the mechanics/game sense to work with her. I think anybody with solid mechanics and a bit of game sense can play Ana all the way into pro level. She's literally just about standing in the right spot, landing shots, and making the correct nade call. Mercy/Zen/Lucio all require a bit more actual character specific stuff.

Also, heads up, a lot of the Master-Top 500 groups I ran into all ran D.Va. Probably about to spread like crazy after her APEX showing plus online copycats. I'm running her now too though since I already had a good D.Va before. She's too ridiculous to pass up right now.

Oh btw I rebound crouch to a side mouse button and mousewheel down. That shit is straight up broken. Somebody should actually take a look and figure what is going on with hitboxes when people crouch spam. You can crouch spam so fast that you barely even receive a movement penalty.

Blues1990

The Earthen skin is the best, and with the Golden gun it just pops out. I use to main the firefighter skin, but after getting the gold gun Ive been using the Earthen skin and the golden gun just makes it soooooooo much better.

The only skin I never cared for, at least in Mei's case, is the Snow Plum skin. Never could figure out how that one shows up so frequently in my games. (It's might be due to how it makes her butt very visible.)

Kito

Zens that ult to save themselves. I've become that guy, but with Ana's grenade, what else am I gonna use it for lol.

Zens that ult to save themselves. I've become that guy, but with Ana's grenade, what else am I gonna use it for lol.

Sometimes you just gotta deny that pesky attacker their kill when they catch you alone/with your pants down/when no one comes to your aid.

rulerk1

Why do ppl play Their 5 min Junkrat in comp instead of there multi hour hero that would benefit our team comp? And don't even get me started on these Sombras. Console comp is a troll paradise

Lunaniem

Especially at my level.

I've had more bad Mercy mains at this point than Hanzo/Genji mains.

Cappa

Banned
Why do ppl play Their 5 min Junkrat in comp instead of there multi hour hero that would benefit our team comp? And don't even get me started on these Sombras. Console comp is a troll paradise

With the season ending in less than a day, most people are just going to play whatever. I know Ive been playing different heroes more than normal just because I know Im not going to beat my season high SR before the season ends.

Im starting to get good with Roadhog. :)

Top Bottom