• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

So.

Gold ranked player.

Carried the game as widow in an unbelievable way, won with 45 elims.

Only has 10 mins on widow (so he pretty much only played her for this match) in this current season, it's pretty much bottom 5 of the heroes he played as far as game time goes, and barely played her in quick play, if anything his QP stats on widow are pretty terrible.

What do you guys think?
FWIW, I think a number of my QP hero stats are worse than my comp stats. Also a lot of my QP stats are dragged down by my initial learning curve or when I was trying dumb "MLG" stuff or when I got stuck with really bad teammates.

LiK

Here's what I heard from the video:

- Teleporter or Shield Generator Ult (Shield Generator doesn't require LoS)
- Teleporter health buffed and also regenerates
- Photon Barrier (shooting a shield out similar to Reinhardt shield except it travels, I think)
- Turret starts at 6 instead of 3 and cooldown buffed
- Primary beam length slightly increased

see5harp

I swear tough characters like Zarya (even with the nerf) and D-VA would be a helluva lot easier to deal with if just either the sombra or tracer on the squad switched off to Mei.

- Teleporter or Shield Generator Ult (Shield Generator doesn't require LoS)
- Teleporter health buffed and also regenerates
- Photon Barrier (shooting a shield out similar to Reinhardt shield except it travels, I think)
- Primary beam length slightly increased

Thanks for the summary. This actually sounds super interesting.

Damn, seems like she'll be pretty damn good now. I've never had much fun hunting teleporters, but when you are doing it every game I'm sure you'll get used to it.

Another character having a big shield has been something a lot of people have wanted, RIP Reinhardt.

I wonder how much shields the generator gives you, he made it sound significant, but it couldn't be so good so that you never pick the teleporter, maybe 100 each?

Still seems mediocre at defending a payload, but we'll see.

Exciting!

Shouta

Symmetra changes! I'm watching it now and only up to the Ult part but giving her a second one that's a buildable Shield Generator is a great idea.

On the tank heavy meta, IS IT TIME FOR JUNKRAT!?

I'm joking....kinda. My casual play group runs into folks that just stack up on tanks and we've had the best results with some combination of Pharah, Junkrat, or Soldier. Lots of damage at safe distances with big targets, basically. Soldier and Junkrat together are the bane of any Reinhardt's existence.

LiK

Symmetra changes! I'm watching it now and only up to the Ult part but giving her a second one that's a buildable Shield Generator is a great idea.

On the tank heavy meta, IS IT TIME FOR JUNKRAT!?

I'm joking....kinda. My casual play group runs into folks that just stack up on tanks and we've had the best results with some combination of Pharah, Junkrat, or Soldier. Lots of damage at safe distances with big targets, basically. Soldier and Junkrat together are the bane of any Reinhardt's existence.

*nods* :)

IbukiLordSA

No seriously wtf is wrong with this games damn match making, this is pathetic, I've been playing with friends and we have won like 12 of our 15 matches and the games have all been quite close and really enjoyable.

I decide to try solo queue for a bit while everyone takes a break, the enemy team has everyone over 100 and some over 300 and my team???? I am the only damn person above level 10, like come on, no that wasn't a typo, level 10 was the highest person on my team. None of these people know how to play and we get completely curb stomped. I don't know whether to cry or laugh, cry that I got stuck with these same people for 3 damn games even though I quit every match to search for another match or laugh at how terrible those other players must be that the game had to put them up against level 10 and under players.

This is pathetic and it needs to be fixed, seriously.

xaosslug

this is funny, because not only do many of these reworks make Symm game-changing/indispensable, but now there is an even bigger target on her back, yet she still has no tools to really defend herself in most situations. xD

omg, I'm pretty sure I called this! xD

this as well. I've been saying this from the start. Everything considered, this in and of itself is pretty game-changing.

eek5

Doesn't D.va technically have two ults though? One explodes and the other one calls a new mech.

This is an ult toggle though. Press q to enter teleport drop mode. Press q again and it switches to shield barrier drop mode or whatever.

maouvin

Wonder how the shield gen will behave when the party is EMP'd. Wait a while before people can be shielded again? And will it be hackable (is the tele hackable?)?

ElyrionX

No seriously wtf is wrong with this games damn match making, this is pathetic, I've been playing with friends and we have won like 12 of our 15 matches and the games have all been quite close and really enjoyable.

I decide to try solo queue for a bit while everyone takes a break, the enemy team has everyone over 100 and some over 300 and my team???? I am the only damn person above level 10, like come on, no that wasn't a typo, level 10 was the highest person on my team. None of these people know how to play and we get completely curb stomped. I don't know whether to cry or laugh, cry that I got stuck with these same people for 3 damn games even though I quit every match to search for another match or laugh at how terrible those other players must be that the game had to put them up against level 10 and under players.

This is pathetic and it needs to be fixed, seriously.

Matchmaking messed up just as much when they let you and your friends have an 80% win-rate.

Haha, the changes to Symmetra are so similar to what I proposed a long while back, including the second ultimate.
Just that she can pick her ultimate whenever instead of having to put up the 'porter first (like I suggested), and that the "dispenser" I suggested to replace her E is an ult. But it IS a utility ult similar to Zen's and Lucio's.

Did not see the projected shield coming, but I think that Symmetra being an off-tank support character might actually be a fantastic idea.

I have no idea why they thought S76 needed a buff. He's really really good now.

He definitely needed a buff, I just think he's a bit too strong now. I think if they reduced the damage per bullet by 1, he'd not be as beastly.

Plesiades

HOT TAKE: For some reason, having a new "bolted-on" Ultimate feels a little bit like a cop-out... I would've liked for them to choose one of them. Maybe they tried reworking the teleporter alone and it didn't help.

Also, I wonder if having an achievement linked to the teleporter had a tiny impact on that decision. If you announce that her old Ultimate is going away in a few weeks, you would probably see people grinding games with Symmetra all day long.

Gonna lead to some awkward situations.

6 solo vs 6 solo, one of the teams stomps the other

"We are so good, let's group up!"

Now it's a 6 stack vs a 6 stack, and the team of people who have never played together is at a huge disadvantage. You get absolutely stomped, and have to make up a lame excuse to get out of the group.

IbukiLordSA

Matchmaking messed up just as much when they let you and your friends have an 80% win-rate.

How so?

We played 6 vs 6 and not one person was under level 100. If it matched us with a 6 team of level 20's then yes it messed up but it did not. Matches were close and enjoyable, players that still don't know how to play should have not been put against level 100+ players.

xaosslug

HOT TAKE: For some reason, having a new "bolted-on" Ultimate feels a little bit like a cop-out... I would've liked for them to choose one of them. Maybe they tried reworking the teleporter alone and it didn't help.

Also, I wonder if having an achievement linked to the teleporter had a tiny impact on that decision. If you announce that her old Ultimate is going away in a few weeks, you would probably see people grinding games with Symmetra all day long.

it's to stop peeps from dropping her after the 1st point is lost.

eek5

Gonna lead to some awkward situations.

6 solo vs 6 solo, one of the teams stomps the other

"We are so good, let's group up!"

Now it's a 6 stack vs a 6 stack, and the team of people who have never played together is at a huge disadvantage. You get absolutely stomped, and have to make up a lame excuse to get out of the group.

OTOH maybe if a lot of people are using it then groups won't be so coordinated and premades won't be as intimidating.

I think choosing one of them would've made Symmetra a less interesting character.

The teleporter is a great ult, but its situational viability is what breaks its neck. It also is a central piece of Symmetra's kit and even lore, so cutting it entirely would've heavily compromised what makes Symmetra Symmetra. It would be like removing Lucio's speedboost entirely, or taking away Reinhardt's shield.
Giving her a secondary ultimate was the best choice they could've made without compromising Symmetra's playstyle and the whole idea of her kit.
The fact her secondary ult also is a building just emphasizes that, imo, but gives her the much needed versatility and utility that was required for her to not be such an insanely situational character pick due to her ultimate.

Also, the achievements could've just been changed. No need to cut them.

eek5

Damn, seems like she'll be pretty damn good now. I've never had much fun hunting teleporters, but when you are doing it every game I'm sure you'll get used to it.
I wonder if we're going to see sym hiding like Mercy on def once she gets ultimate charge. Wait to see if you need teleporter for a team wipe to get back faster or if a fight starts you drop the shield generator and give everyone a massive buff. In a team fight the other team will most likely lose since they can't find the generator in time.

I'm assuming the same rules apply (can't charge ult while teleporter or shield generator is up)

LiK

Blizzard's trophies/achievements weren't really well thought out considering some of them could be near impossible to get down the line with the changes. They need to allow people to get them in Arcade so people can just mash them out. Why do they even care how people get them anyways.

see5harp

How so?

We played 6 vs 6 and not one person was under level 100. If it matched us with a 6 team of level 20's then yes it messed up but it did not. Matches were close and enjoyable, players that still don't know how to play should have not been put against level 100+ players.

After a certain "level" it really doesn't matter much. In competitive you regularly get matched up with guys that have 3 or 4 stars....I've rolled teams like this with a competent team.

komaruR

i guess to make sombra actually viable for pro plays of tank hacking (where everyone is gather around the tank), her hack timing should be shorten and the hacked target should last shorter in a sense like flashbang or sleep dart then make the hack ability for sombra cd longer. this will enable sombra to cloak go into hack and get back while the team have that short duration to hopefully pick off the tank.

the timing needed to successful hack an opponent now is hard and it does work only if its in the midst of confusing/no paying attention that you're getting hack (
i'm a victim of this. me and my poor awareness :(
). but then in pro plays, i think it will happen less?

finalflame

Can they revert her turret damage on console alongside her changes in her patch? PLEASE?

Man, give people an inch and they'll take a mile.

I'd say wait to see how these changes play out first. Seems like she's getting a pretty significant utility buff overall.

IbukiLordSA

After a certain "level" it really doesn't matter much. In competitive you regularly get matched up with guys that have 3 or 4 stars....I've rolled teams like this with a competent team.

Which is exactly why I say 100+ because after that players will know the maps and characters. My issue isn't having to play against level 100+ players my issue is having to play a full team of 100+ players but not having a single person on my team above level 10. There is a massive difference between a player at level 100 and a player at level 10. At level 10 you haven't even seen all the maps yet alone know any of them yet. This is my issue, Blizzard should not be matching them with anyone but those within their own level range. All because they push for players to be at 50% win ratio, that is just BS. Happy to lose to better players not happy to lose to something I have no control over. Let's not even start with that level 5 Sombra.

Top Bottom