• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Nimby

Banned
Thank God they were on my team.

0vrjJ8J.png

Rapha and Minstrel are on Liquid right?

At least this didn't happen: https://youtu.be/dKupfa870o8?t=1m23s

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is a mass tank nerf justified? I feel the only tank that fulfills their purpose of being a damage sponge with disjointed DPS opportunities is Winston.

Leave my tanks alone. ;_;

Ana is the problem just by virtue of how the game functions. Having a team full of meatshields that want to take damage, and a character that can burst heal off of that and build ult is going to always cause issues.

They probably went a little nuts with Dva but there's a few things from the 'experimental' PTR I'm surprised all just got pulled over.

AngryMoth

I just picked up Overwatch for PS4, my PSN id is Tokunbo if you want to add me.

So, I'm still learning, been playing mostly as Mercy, but I'm seeing here she's not too popular? How do I learn more about this game?

What is PTR?
Don't worry about who is and isn't popular in the meta right now, it's not important when you first start playing. Just keep playing the game and having fun and you'll start to pick up more of the minutia like who is a good counter to who etc by yourself.

PTR is the testing server on PC where they put up new features and balance changes for community testing.

DevilDog

I just picked up Overwatch for PS4, my PSN id is Tokunbo if you want to add me.

So, I'm still learning, been playing mostly as Mercy, but I'm seeing here she's not too popular? How do I learn more about this game?

What is PTR?

Mercy is not the best support, but she is quite good still.

PTR is a test version of the game available only on PC. It's where all the new updates will hit first, before going live. So always keep an eye on it for the news, even if you don't have it.

Don't worry about who is and isn't popular in the meta right now, it's not important when you first start playing. Just keep playing the game and having fun and you'll start to pick up more of the minutia like who is a good counter to who etc by yourself.

PTR is the testing server on PC where they put up new features and balance changes for community testing.

Unless you're planning on going pro with this, don't worry about who's popular or not. In fact, I never plan on worrying about who the pros are currently playing or what the god-forsaken "meta" is. Play who you enjoy playing and who you're good with. And then, as you continue to play the game and experiment with other characters, you'll start figuring out what your team needs and when, knowing when to switch to another character when you're not doing well with one, etc.

caesar

Banned
Okay even though I've been playing off and on since launch I'm still relatively inexperienced. Just got out of a match where we were unable to cap the first point on Anubis because on the ledge right inside the first set of archways the enemy set up a Bastion/Torb/Rein combo and we were basically completely unable to fire back enough to wear down the Rein shield without getting shredded by dual fire from the other two. Any ideas what we should have tried to get through?

You mean in the doorway next to the bridge?

You could either lucio speed boost your team straight past them and onto the point forcing them to move, or you could use an anti comp of rein, hog, genji , junk etc.

Thank God they were on my team.

0vrjJ8J.png

Damn, rapha was a god back in 2010 on quake.

komaruR

Is a mass tank nerf justified? I feel the only tank that fulfills their purpose of being a damage sponge with disjointed DPS opportunities is Winston.

after using winston against sombra, im a believer that he's quite good at countering sombra. doesnt matter if sombra hack health pack, at that very moment you catch a sombra on a translocate cd, she's dead! can worry later after you secure that sombra kill to search or head back to your group for heals.

Skii

I really really really feel like the ult nerf should have been a case by case basis. Rein is suffering for our dps sins

Rein builds ult at one of the fastest rates pre-patch. I don't see how he'd be behind in ult economy with the nerf to everyone? Like you usually want to play aggressive and firestrike even if you had an ult with Rein for mindgames so it's not like those wouldn't have contributed to a slower building ult.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Rein builds ult at one of the fastest rates pre-patch. I don't see how he'd be behind in ult economy with the nerf to everyone? Like you usually want to play aggressive and firestrike even if you had an ult with Rein for mindgames so it's not like those wouldn't have contributed to a slower building ult.

Because of ana's ult nerf.

No speed means that rein honestly isn't the best target for nanoboost now. It's still good, but I'll put it on a soldier for nano visor, reaper even though beyblade is not as good, he can still just walk forward and kill people, or even a DVa to make her nigh unkillable because her healthpool is ridiculous now.

komaruR

think with more dvas, its gonna be hard for firestrike to land because it gets deleted by dm.
wish it couldn't be :(

Antiwhippy

Oh yeah, that too, though it was more me deleting them. :p

Don't think I've played rein into a dva hog yet. I think that would be miserable because you can pretty much do Jack shit because your shield and yourself melts from the tank killer tanks.

xaosslug

it's fascinating to me how ingrained Rein is into the meta, yet peeps almost refuse to run him in pubs (on console). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Skii

Because of ana's ult nerf.

No speed means that rein honestly isn't the best target for nanoboost now. It's still good, but I'll put it on a soldier for nano visor, reaper even though beyblade is not as good, he can still just walk forward and kill people, or even a DVa to make her nigh unkillable because her healthpool is ridiculous now.

But it was actually ridiculous what Rein could do. You could Earth shatter, nanoboost and then get another Earth shatter in the same fight. It was a bit too much lol. I dont think the ult nerf really hurts him in terms of that.

think with more dvas, its gonna be hard for firestrike to land because it gets deleted by dm.
wish it couldn't be :(

Yeah that's a good reason. Dva should be eating those firestrikes for the team and she's basically gonna be on every team now.

People datamining the current PTR patch found Sombra spawn interactions and Christmas music

edit:

And I really do think Santa Torbjorn will be a thing in Christmas. There's already a Torbjorn Santa image from Blizzard from 2014 Christmas.

Bought this game recently and I'm loving it. 3v3 Elimination is soo fun, but I wish it had more than one map lol. I enjoy bouncing between all characters depending on situation and how I'm feeling; here's my most frequently used atm (no particular order):
  • Reaper
  • Soldier: 76
  • Tracer
  • Roadhog
  • Zenyatta
Glad to be a part of this community now instead of occasionally peeking through a foggy window to catch a glimpse of what the hype is all about :b

Antiwhippy

I've never had that done with my blizzard but I've had my gravitons reflected back an embarrassing amount of times.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Alright blizzard. Feel free to nerf soldier already because you guys didn't even think this one through.

Antiwhippy

TBF, their modus operandi seems to be overtune them and then slowly turn them down.

Remember mcsniper? Those were fun times.

People datamining the current PTR patch found Sombra spawn interactions and Christmas music

edit:

And I really do think Santa Torbjorn will be a thing in Christmas. There's already a Torbjorn Santa image from Blizzard from 2014 Christmas.

Sweet! Finally time for a new Mei legendary skin and perhaps new emotes.

season's over. No diamond. The dream is dead. I need a team for S3, tbh. T__T

I'm right there with ya man, Got to a season high of 2897 which was way better then I did in S1 but could never break through

Heres to season 3!

What do buy for my first gold gun hmmmmmmm. The golden Hammer for Reinheardt is amazing but maybe symetra...

AbaFadi

Banned
Looks like the season just ended exactly at 4 PM PST. Got my season rewards, nice 3000 CP for reaching 4000 SR. Now to decide between Zarya or Reinhardt golden weapon.

Antiwhippy

So it's officially over?

Guess I'll put in 2-3 games a day on comp practice and actually start playing games on this new PS4 pro I bought. :p

Also I already have my golden zen orbs but I'm only 50 wins from my next weapon skin. Here's to something else than gold.

xaosslug

So it's officially over?

Guess I'll put in 2-3 games a day on comp practice and actually start playing games on this new PS4 pro I bought. :p

Also I already have my golden zen orbs but I'm only 50 wins from my next weapon skin. Here's to something else than gold.

omg, you really did it? :O

I'm right there with ya man, Got to a season high of 2897 which was way better then I did in S1 but could never break through

Heres to season 3!

What do buy for my first gold gun hmmmmmmm. The golden Hammer for Reinheardt is amazing but maybe symetra...

gold hammer, gold hammer, yesssss!

Top Bottom