• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Nimby

Banned
The defense buff nanoboost gives is infuriating. It makes Ana the best counter to her own ultimate with her CC. I'm pretty sure damage boost on nano is already at 30%.

They just need to hit Grandma with the nerf bat a few times. Healing potential the same or around the same as Mercy's, less boost from healing and less defense buff from nanoboost.

Personal opinions about Mercy: I wouldn't mind seeing them get rid of Zarya's dispel-lite on her bubbles and give Mercy a full-on dispel. Res could also use some kind of invulnerability phase so she can continue to support her team without getting picked off extremely easy. They could lower healing across the board, Ana healing is definitely too much and Mercy's could be too.

Anne

I wonder if the previous meta game was actually healthier. I can't see how you stop those three tanks unless you just play mirror. There seems to be only one spot for "variation" on a team. That spot is either Zarya or Soldier. I really hope there are good ways to counter triple tank...

There are things out there.

I think the meta right now is in a weird transition stage where they are making large changes in a better direction, but they didn't fully commit and left us with Ana. There are also other weird things they refuse to look at because they were relatively balanced a bit ago, but aren't under new systems.

Then there's D.Va. I have no explanation for that fuck up other than "oops"

antitrop

Personal opinions about Mercy: I wouldn't mind seeing them get rid of Zarya's dispel-lite on her bubbles and give Mercy a full-on dispel. Res could also use some kind of invulnerability phase so she can continue to support her team without getting picked off extremely easy. They could lower healing across the board, Ana healing is definitely too much and Mercy's could be too.

Mercy needs a fucking E ability already. Your dispel idea sounds great.

xaosslug

The Rein/DVA/Roadhog triple tank meta is upon us. This is what we get for wanting everything to be nerfed.

where can I watch this? :D

have peeps really dropped Zarya? This would explain why there are so many 'but Zarya wasn't really nerfed!!!' videos out there.

I get what you guys are saying (even though it's less severe on console) but how much more can you buff Mercy healing and nerf nano boost? I'm not going to say that Mercy is better than Ana, not even close. But it's still annoying as fuck to take down a target that Mercy is healing, and she has much better mobility options. Ana is great at keeping tanks alive, but meh with squishy characters (pro level Ana's excluded) the grenade is fantastic, the sleep is good but hard to land.

Lucio is complete ass as a healer now, Mercy just isn't viable, Zen isn't a main healer, unless we want to take emphasis off major healing (which I'm not opposed too) then the game kind of needs Ana. Rework Mercy, live in a 75 shield 75 armor new meta, make healing less important by changing nade healing from 200% to 150%, or just leave it as is, I don't think it's the epidemic it's made out to be.

Anne

I don't want Mercy to have a big healing buff. An E ability would be pretty cool I guess? I generally don't think anybody should be healing more than she is right now. It just creates a whole lot of problems.

It is a very real problem though. Every time I run into a reasonably smart stack of players they know what's up. Pro level play right now is a bit of a mess. Even semi-pro level scrims are fucked up. It's rough.

Shouta

*insert Junkrat for new tank Meta joke here*

A new E ability for Mercy would be welcome. Not sure what it could be though.

No ^

Do you have windows 10 maybe? There is a thing where it will be using your internet to share updates with other users

curious of what your pc spec is? (if you think the network is not the problem) but it does sounds like one. perhap take a cellphone video of whats happening on the screen for us?

Thanks for the replies!

I hadn't even considered that it may be local graphical delays. It's not a super fast PC - i7 2.5 GHz w/ 24GB RAM. Windows 8.

Free weekend is over so sadly I can't turn down my settings to test. I may just end up buying it during the Black Friday sale and trying to play with the settings. I really do want to get comfortable with WASD setup.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay even though I've been playing off and on since launch I'm still relatively inexperienced. Just got out of a match where we were unable to cap the first point on Anubis because on the ledge right inside the first set of archways the enemy set up a Bastion/Torb/Rein combo and we were basically completely unable to fire back enough to wear down the Rein shield without getting shredded by dual fire from the other two. Any ideas what we should have tried to get through?

komaruR

Thanks for the replies!

I hadn't even considered that it may be local graphical delays. It's not a super fast PC - i7 2.5 GHz w/ 24GB RAM. Windows 8.

Free weekend is over so sadly I can't turn down my settings to test. I may just end up buying it during the Black Friday sale and trying to play with the settings. I really do want to get comfortable with WASD setup.

what graphic card?

Okay even though I've been playing off and on since launch I'm still relatively inexperienced. Just got out of a match where we were unable to cap the first point on Anubis because on the ledge right inside the first set of archways the enemy set up a Bastion/Torb/Rein combo and we were basically completely unable to fire back enough to wear down the Rein shield without getting shredded by dual fire from the other two. Any ideas what we should have tried to get through?

genji to reflect bastion or just lob nades with junkrat. or even long range pharah missile since the mini splash dmg is increased it should be viable to kill turrets or etc easier.
or sombra cloak then hack the one that is more singled out/alone and translocate back to safe

I-hate-u

Y'all too harsh on granny. She is fine as she is and imo one of the best designed OW heroes.

The problem is with Mercy. A dedicated healer that can't protect her self, or contribute much to the fight besides rez, just sucks in this type of fast pace game.

"Gen 2" characters like Ana make the old relics like Mercy look terrible.

Nimby

Banned
Mercy needs a fucking E ability already. Your dispel idea sounds great.

I get the feeling Blizzard don't want her to have a new ability. I mean, her damage boost is good for what it is but it's not enough to keep her competitive with other healers. And even with her regen buff, she is still too much of a liability.

Mercy definitely doesn't need a healing buff.

Anne

Against things like that you can dive or avoid it. If you wanna dive it, run stuf like Winston or D.Va to jump on them and disorient. Follow it up with things like Genji to get damage and confirm kills. Use Lucio speedboost to move into it. Stuff like that.

If you wanna avoid it you can dead ass use Lucio to speedboost onto the point so they have to give up their static defense and come fight you.

I get the feeling Blizzard don't want her to have a new ability. I mean, her damage boost is good for what it is but it's not enough to keep her competitive with other healers. And even with her regen buff, she is still too much of a liability.

Mercy definitely doesn't need a healing buff.

They already said they have messed with giving her an E ability, but they didn't have anything they felt comfortable with at the time. This was around the start of S2 iirc.

Y'all too harsh on granny. She is fine as she is and imo one of the best designed OW heroes.

The problem is with Mercy. A dedicated healer that can't protect her self, or contribute much to the fight besides rez, just sucks in this type of fast pace game.

"Gen 2" characters like Ana make the old relics like Mercy look terrible.

It has nothing to do with Mercy being bad. Mercy isn't even all that bad. If Mercy was as good at Ana we'd have a whole nother mess of problems.

JHall

where can I watch this? :D

have peeps really dropped Zarya? This would explain why there are so many 'but Zarya wasn't really nerfed!!!' videos out there.

A lot of high level streamers have been discussing it. With the extra nerf to Zarya in the PTR (which will most likely make it to live) she's not going to see as much action as she once was. Triple tank will become a thing very shortly. Miro dropping Winston and exclusivily practicing DVA is a huge sign. You're going to see a lot of Soldier/Ana/Lucio plus three tanks. Soldier's biotic field means he doesn't need healers as much and he'll be positioning himself in the high ground taking shots at the tanks while they're fighting on the front lines with the healers.

Chance

*insert Junkrat joke here for new tank Meta*

Nano eruption. Mercy smashes her staff into the ground to vent nanoparticle buildup, instantly healing all allies within 10 meters for... 100hp.

Gives her a much needed burst option, retains Mercy's need to remain close to her team at the risk of taking crossfire, and it might actually happen because it would still let Ana be better in all ways lol.

Skii

There are things out there.

I think the meta right now is in a weird transition stage where they are making large changes in a better direction, but they didn't fully commit and left us with Ana. There are also other weird things they refuse to look at because they were relatively balanced a bit ago, but aren't under new systems.

Then there's D.Va. I have no explanation for that fuck up other than "oops"

I think my main problem is that they aren't using PTR like they said they would. They were meant to put drastic changes on there and would tone it down for actually release but just because nothing obvious went wrong in PTR, they just went "fuck it, everything seems good here" and released characters imo that are a bit too OP and negatively affect the meta because there are less counters to them than ever.

Tank meta is honestly so boring.😧😧😧

It really is. With the DPS meta before, it was so much more entertaining because it was about the individual plays the DPS made. Now it's just a bunch of tanks who are doing their best to out DPS each other whilst not making a massive fuck up.

This so much. Some tanks are a bit overtuned, but the thing really making shit work is Ana. They need to just drop the nuke on her and figure out what to do with her later at this point. I don't get why they refuse to touch her HPS or further nerf nanoboost. She burst heals with more HPS then Zenyatta's ult and that is just magically okay.
Nanoboost doesn't need another nerf. I'd be down with nerfing her hps though or increasing her cooldowns.

komaruR

It came with the laptop - "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M".

if its really a gtx 980m then it shouldnt be your laptop's problem. you mention using hardwire (ethernet), but did you try using the same port as the one you would use for ps4?(is your ps4 hardwired?)
could be a bad ethernet port on the router?

Nimby

Banned
They already said they have messed with giving her an E ability, but they didn't have anything they felt comfortable with at the time. This was around the start of S2 iirc.

The group regen thing? I just thought that was some kind of passive they discussed. A dispel sort of ability might be too good, but it fits with her lore I suppose.

I really just want something at least. Not any buffs in the form of number tweaks either.

Odrion

Banned
rVggU4e.png

dreams do come true

xaosslug

A lot of high level streamers have been discussing it. With the extra nerf to Zarya in the PTR (which will most likely make it to live) she's not going to see as much action as she once was. Triple tank will become a thing very shortly. Miro dropping Winston and exclusivily practicing DVA is a huge sign. You're going to see a lot of Soldier/Ana/Lucio plus three tanks. Soldier's biotic field means he doesn't need healers as much and he'll be positioning himself in the high ground taking shots at the tanks while they're fighting on the front lines with the healers.

D.Va's back (was she ever here, tho? Maybe, D.Va's here...), baby!

dreams do come true

'grats, bro! :) I'mma try get there b4 the season's up, later today... T__T

Odrion

Banned
pPdaO1G.png

dva probably needs a nerf

edit: to her health hopefully, not being as slow as molasses while firing actually makes her fun.

Lucio is complete ass as a healer now, Mercy just isn't viable, Zen isn't a main healer, unless we want to take emphasis off major healing (which I'm not opposed too) then the game kind of needs Ana. Rework Mercy, live in a 75 shield 75 armor new meta, make healing less important by changing nade healing from 200% to 150%, or just leave it as is, I don't think it's the epidemic it's made out to be.

It's funny you say that. I have been playing since Sunday and have a few hours. Lucio is the one character I am able to play sucessfully.

I chose support cause Im not that good at FPS. I chose Lucio because his healing ability is situacional. I dont need to aim on a teammate to heal him. I just have to move fast and be near my teammates.

If Im playing with people who actually team up and/or are decent with tanks, I do really really well. Like at the end it say I had more than 50% of team damage healed.

In fact, since most of the time no one wants to be the healer I end up using Lucio 80% of the time. Im starting to learn to use speed well. Need to learn to wall ride better though.

antitrop

*insert Junkrat for new tank Meta joke here*

A single-target Dispel proposed earlier could:

- Reverse Ana anti-heal and wake them out of sleep
- Break someone out of a Mei freeze
- Reverse a Sombra Hack
- Break someone out of a Junkrat Trap
- Cure Widowmaker's Venom Mine DoT

etc

Also they should buff mercy's hps. Considering she can't do anything when she's healing she should have far and away the highest hps of the game.

Nimby

Banned
Shield Generator seems like it will be a really good ultimate. If you're protecting it with your turrets, your team is defending it, etc. seems like it will tough to get rid of. The only one you have to worry about is D.Va. Tracer, Soldier, Sombra and Genji can't stand the heat, and Winston doesn't do enough damage to get rid of it quickly. And because it regens and your turrets are much quicker, teams really need to make a coordinated effort to find it and destroy it.

Sullichin

A single-target Dispel proposed earlier could:

- Reverse Ana anti-heal and wake them out of sleep
- Break someone out of a Mei freeze
- Reverse a Sombra Hack
- Break someone out of a Junkrat Trap
- Cure Widowmaker's Venom Mine DoT

etc

Oh my god this would be amazing for unfreezing people alone. I like this idea.. but it might be too good

Anne

"We have this problem going on right now where health pools are too large and our burst healer is too broken and nobody is dying"

*throw an ultimate on the PTR that gives the entire team an extra 75 health*

It's funny you say that. I have been playing since Sunday and have a few hours. Lucio is the one character I am able to play sucessfully.

I chose support cause Im not that good at FPS. I chose Lucio because his healing ability is situacional. I dont need to aim on a teammate to heal him. I just have to move fast and be near my teammates.

If Im playing with people who actually team up and/or are decent with tanks, I do really really well. Like at the end it say I had more than 50% of team damage healed.

In fact, since most of the time no one wants to be the healer I end up using Lucio 80% of the time. Im starting to learn to use speed well. Need to learn to wall ride better though.
What I said will make more sense when you are hundreds of hours in :p you should totally just be having fun right now and not pay attention to what we are saying. We don't have fun any longer, all we do is endlessly pick apart the game. I envy you.

tfw you're hoping for good skins, but all you gun get is red recolours and santa hats... >__>

I'm not sure why you would be pessimistic. Both holiday events have been pretty good with skins.

Summer Games had:
Yellows:
2 - Tracer
2 - Zarya
2 - Lucio
Purples:
1 - Mercy
1 - Torbjorn
1 - Genji
1 - McCree
1 - DVa
1 - Widowmaker

Halloween had:
Yellows:
1 - Junkrat
1 - Roadhog
1 - Reaper
1 - Mercy
Purples
1 - Hanzo
1 - 76
1 - Pharah
1 - Bastion
1 - Symmetra
1 - Ana
1 - Reinhart
1 - Zenyatta

If anything, I'd say you could expect at least 4 solid characters to have fancy outfits, and then 5+ characters to have simple skins with candy strips or elf hats.

Currently, the following characters don't have holiday yellow skins yet:
Pharah
Genji
McCree
Sombra
Hanzo
Torb
Widowmaker
Mei
Bastion
Rein
Winston
DVa
Symmetra
Zenyatta
Ana

If you take out the preorder/blizzcon skins you're left with
McCree
Sombra
Hanzo
Torb
Mei
Rein
Winston
DVa
Symmetra
Zenyatta
Ana

Therefore, I deduce the following:

Torb - Santa skin - Yellow
Mei - Snowman skin - Yellow
76 - Ugly Sweater skin - Yellow
McCree - Elf skin - Yellow

Prelude.

The new group thing is not what I expected, doing something like that was already possible.
I wanted a way to queue up with the same people without creating an actual group of strangers that are gonna get put against a premade.

if its really a gtx 980m then it shouldnt be your laptop's problem. you mention using hardwire (ethernet), but did you try using the same port as the one you would use for ps4?(is your ps4 hardwired?)
could be a bad ethernet port on the router?

Thanks for the suggestions. Good to know that the laptop should be able to keep up. My PS4 is wireless and it literally works flawlessly. I don't know that I've ever seen even a blip of lag or felt that latency was impacting my aim on the PS4.

I think I'll try temporarily hard-wiring directly from the modem to the PC to see if that makes a difference. I'll try and find a free non-Blizzard shooter to test it out and if that works I'll dive in on buying the full OW game.

It's like a bunch of jellyfish! That's wild.

ChanMan

Same I agree he is a very fun character to use, can do decent damage as well. Plus I rarely dying when using him because he can escape danger in a heartbeat.

Nimby

Banned
Is a mass tank nerf justified? I feel the only tank that fulfills their purpose of being a damage sponge with disjointed DPS opportunities is Winston.

AngryMoth

Boot up the game excited to play a few games and try rank up a bit more before the end of the season. Immediately get an infinite loading bug and lose 50 SR + a 10 minute suspension for causing a match cancelation...turn off the game

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I just picked up Overwatch for PS4, my PSN id is Tokunbo if you want to add me.

So, I'm still learning, been playing mostly as Mercy, but I'm seeing here she's not too popular? How do I learn more about this game?

What is PTR?

Top Bottom