• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

so because I'm a capitalist shill and I have some spare change to throw around at Overwatch things I figured I'd look in to figures. The Cute But Deadly Bastion and Pharah figures someone posted a few days ago looked nice. Decent design for $10 and much better than the Funko Pops.... or so I thought

"kill me"

Where the fuck is my flamethrower?

I really don't understand the appeal of funkopops and all those other weird "massive head tiny body" figurines that have become so popular.
Funkopops in particular, because they're all the same fucking base model just with different colors and maybe some tiny mold differences. :p

Cappa

Banned
I really don't understand the appeal of funkopops and all those other weird "massive head tiny body" figurines that have become so popular.
Funkopops in particular, because they're all the same fucking base model just with different colors and maybe some tiny mold differences. :p

I think theyre popular because they release toys for things that never would have toys released.

Golden Girls? 30 rock from the sun? Big bang theory????? Then they have a habit of releasing "limited edtions" and people eat those up too.

I think it's solely because there's no other way to get figures for a lot of those IPs. Oh also yeah because they're super cheap and small enough to fit on a desk and look hip or whatever idk

Still though, looking at all the Funko pops and all of the Cute But Deadly Things, that one dude lucked out big time by getting Blue Pharah and Bastion seeing as they're the only decent OW figures out there lol

I wonder what the best way to buy them directly would be... Ebay maybe?

I think theyre popular because they release toys for things that never would have toys released.

Golden Girls? 30 rock from the sun? Big bang theory????? Then they have a habit of releasing "limited edtions" and people eat those up too.

That plus how cheap they are. It probably helps that most people are totally fine with the designs, including myself.

Cappa

Banned
Symms Vampire skin is the best only because of the eyeball turrets, which makes me excited for Christmas because I want to see Tjorb turrets that turn into Christmas presents.

I really like Symmetra's base recolours, and I think Regal is a severely underrated skin for her. There's so many white/gold and black skins, so Utopaea is just another one of those, but Regal stands out because it's this beautiful golden orange with the royal purple highlights, and it looks gorgeous.

I would love the Architech/Vishkar skins if it wasn't for the goofy hairstyle (the knot is fine, but that big strand that's hanging over her eye is terrible), and I think the Hindu skins are out of place for her, although I like the idea of them.

Nendos are much more well proportioned than funkopops though.

Not much better, because they still have the massive head tiny body thing going on, but at least their heads aren't boxes. Actually, looking at them, it looks like their skull mold is pretty much identical as well... lol.

Obviously, this is my personal opinion, but I'd rather have no merchandise for something I enjoy than those funkopops. I couldn't even recognize most of the characters.

Veelk

Banned
Best skins for each character are:

Tracer: I like the aviation one with the glasses the best, though Sporty isn't bad, and I think her look works with Punk.

Genji: Oni. His Nipon one is good too. But I really, really, really, really wish they'd color coordinate his streaks as he changes costumes. It drives me insane to use his clearly red sword, but it leaves a green after image.

Reaper: Pumpkinhead and Nevermore. His default costume also looks good in red or purple.

Sombra: Noche for now. Not a huge fan of most of hers.

Pharah: I like halloween one. I would like her Gundam ones the best, but I hate how it makes her face a robot too. It ruins any PotG I get when she takes off her helmet to reveal a robot head.

Soldier: He doesn't have a best costume. He doesn't have a best anything. He's so boring.

McCree: I am actually a fan of his default, or Ebony. I feel they got just the right color scheme and design for him. His riverman one is pretty cool too, but I don't like him cleanshaven and combed over. Just feels wrong.

Bastion: I like his grass one and steampunk ones, but really, I don't actually care. Sorry, B.

Hanzo: His white outfit or Ghoul if I want something that's a little more different.

Junkrat: As annoying as he is, he has so many good ones. I like the Jester ones the most, I think, but he looks good in most of them.

Mei: Her pink one. It feels more appropriate than her default one.

Torbjorn: eh...default. Red seems to be his color, but I'm not a fan of his pirate or biker ones. They feel too comical.

Widowmaker: Ooh, ooh, her Huntress one is BY FAR the best one she has. I love it, she looks like something out of steampunk. Great gun change too. This should have been her default costume, not...whatever she wears in her default.

D.Va: I like her white rabbit one. A touch of Alice in Wonderland fits her, while still keeping her iconic pink color.

Reinhardt: He has a ton of good ones. I like paragon, stonehardt, and Balderich.

Roadhog: Mako

Winston: His Horizon Suit. It looks better than his plain white one, but also it's appropriate to his character.

Zarya: Her white suit, dawn I think it's called. Not that we have much to choose from here.

Ana: Ghoul. Definitely ghoul. Dat mask.

Lucio: I like that opaque visor he gets in one of his purple selections.

Mercy: Lots to choose from. She looks great in her amber suit, witch, and Imp.

Symmetra: I like both regal and utopia and usually pick one of those. I'm not big into her legendaries.

Zenyatta: Ascendant. I'm for anything that makes him look holier, and white coloring with purple sash is a good look for him.

MartyStu

The thing I worry about Sombra is that she could easily be game ruining for me while being perfectly balanced. We gripe about annoying characters. The Tracers who never seems to die, the Mei's who stop you on the spot, Junkrats who kill you with a lucky hit they didn't even aim.

A character can be annoying for a variety of reasons, but the main ones I think are 1. when a character disables you from reacting and 2. when you feel helpless against a characters abilities.

Every one of Sombra's abilities caters to one of those 2 things. Hacking and EMP shit you down from being to do anything, while there's no real way to detect her while she's invisible and crossing enemy lines and there's nothing you can do about her escaping with her teleport. Right now, the main things that make her bearable is that her cloaking/decloaking takes time, her hacking takes time, her teleport is a one-off (plus you can ambush her), and her DPS is such that it requires you are able to maintain your aim on a target.

I'm still amazed I don't hate her already. But the general consensus seems to be that she needs a buff. And I'm just wondering how things will be if she actually gets it. Sombra is a hero I'm utterly terrified of becoming a mainstay just because she could easily become everything I hate in Overwatch.

I can guarantee you this:

Sombra will NEVER be as annoying as a crack shot Widowmaker. Or a competent Junkrat. Or--god forbid--a competent Mei.

The fact that she has to use the exact same bandwidth to both engage and disengage is what makes her effectively harmless. And not to mention that after actually engaging, all she can do is scavenge.

I too am concerned about the possible buffs she may get, but I am more concerned about the present batch of 'skill-less cancer'.

Speaking of which, I started seriously playing Junkrat today. He is a lot of fun at chokepoints.

Vishkar/Architect are great skins IMO.
meh, they're alright but a bit too 70's with the flared pant openings and all
I really like Symmetra's base recolours, and I think Regal is a severely underrated skin for her. There's so many white/gold and black skins, so Utopaea is just another one of those, but Regal stands out because it's this beautiful golden orange with the royal purple highlights, and it looks gorgeous.

I would love the Architech/Vishkar skins if it wasn't for the goofy hairstyle (the knot is fine, but that big strand that's hanging over her eye is terrible), and I think the Hindu skins are out of place for her, although I like the idea of them.

Not much better, because they still have the massive head tiny body thing going on, but at least their heads aren't boxes. Actually, looking at them, it looks like their skull mold is pretty much identical as well... lol.

Obviously, this is my personal opinion, but I'd rather have no merchandise for something I enjoy than those funkopops. I couldn't even recognize most of the characters.
Oh yeah Regal is alright too
I'll never understand why people buy kitschy, plastic junk that sits on a shelf.

Each to their own I guess.

Meh I don't have like any kitschy, plastic junk. Figured one wouldn't hurt.

Veelk

Banned
I can guarantee you this:

Sombra will NEVER be as annoying as a crack shot Widowmaker. Or a competent Junkrat. Or--god forbid--a competent Mei.

The fact that she has to use the exact same bandwidth to both engage and disengage is what makes her effectively harmless. And not to mention that after actually engaging, all she can do is scavenge.

I too am concerned about the possible buffs she may get, but I am more concerned about the present batch of 'skill-less cancer'.

Speaking of which, I started seriously playing Junkrat today. He is a lot of fun at chokepoints.

A crackshot Widow is basically a nonexistent threat on consoles. I've met some Widows that were pretty good and I've always come away thinking "You know what, if they can land those shots, they fucking earned it". I find the currently overpowered soldier more annoying than any widow I've ever met.

A crackshot Widow is basically a nonexistent threat on consoles. I've met some Widows that were pretty good and I've always come away thinking "You know what, if they can land those shots, they fucking earned it". I find the currently overpowered soldier more annoying than any widow I've ever met.

I always get super butthurt at stuff like that because it means the matchmaking fucked me again.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The Widow buff on PC has made me see her in every gmae now and I just get body shot to death as most heroes

I can't remember who on here was always asking for Widow buffs but fuck em. She doesn't even belong in the game, honestly.

AngryMoth

Well I didn't quite make it to diamond (2950 career high) but still happy with how the season turned out considered I placed disappointingly at 2106 with a career low of around 1900. I'll make it next time! Now to get that golden Ana gun :D

Veelk

Banned
The Widow buff on PC has made me see her in every gmae now and I just get body shot to death as most heroes

I can't remember who on here was always asking for Widow buffs but fuck em. She doesn't even belong in the game, honestly.

That'd be me, but I didn't ask for that buff. I advocated keeping her sniping ability where it was. Those trick shots are supposed to be hard to land.

What should be buffed is her abilities. Give her more mines to place, let her spider-man around, give some kind of offensive capability to her ultimate. I find the insane cooldowns on her mediocre abilities to be laughable. She needed survivability, not killability.

Shooting is always going to be difficult, but the game is designed around being an asset to the team in other ways beyond that. Have Widow focus more on that, and she'll be a much funner character to play.

hell why not

Ana: Garnet probably, though her default blue comes in second place. I like all of her skins but I like her default Grandma design too much. I'd like her young skins a lot more if they came with a voice change though

Bastion: Woodbot

D.Va: Junebug even if D.Va herself is slightly less kawaii

Genji: Nihon, Chrome or Nomad

Hanzo: I like all of his recolors besides the puke yellow one actually but my favorites are probably Demon or Lone Wolf

Junkrat: Junkenstein followed by Jailbird

Lucio: Ribbit followed by Laranja

McCree: This is a hard one and not because there's too many to choose from, I love his default sci-fi/western armor and his On the Range Poncho but I hate his BAMF belt buckle so I guess Riverboat is my favorite even though it's not as unique and his cleaned up face/hair looks weird.

Mei: Yeti Hunter> Firefighter> Earthen> Default

Mercy: Witch> Cobalt

Pharah: All of them except Copper.

Reaper: Pumpkin> El Diablo

Reinhardt: Bundeswehr

Roadhog: Not a fan of any tbh, but I guess I'd go with Kiwi

Soldier: 76: Russet (I like to pretend it's a leather jacket for ultimate dadness)

Sombra: Noche

Symmetra: Utopea

Torb: Honestly I love pretty much all of his epics/legendaries

Tracer: Too many to name, Slipstream, Posh, default, Sporty, Ultraviolet and Mach T are god tier. Also really like her Summer Games ones, especially the one that has the GB flag as a cape. Only ones I don't like are Punk and her recolors

Widowmaker: don't care, don't use lol. Winter or Huntress I guess. Noire gets a shoutout for being one of the worst skins in the game despite being a pre-order bonus

Winston: Love a lot of his too but gotta go with Safari

Zarya: Siberian Front

Zenyatta: Ascendant> Ra

That would probably be Garrett, who plays on PS4, and was specifically asking for them to revert the bodyshot nerf on consoles.

MartyStu

Fuck widow.

A good widow on pc being prevalent would make me quit the game within days.

No doubt.

Against a disorganized group, an accurate widow is extremely un-fun.

I immediately swap to Genji or Winston on the rare occasions I run into them. Even if playing healer.

Veelk

Banned
That would probably be Garrett, who plays on PS4, and was specifically asking for them to revert the bodyshot nerf on consoles.

I didn't specifically ask for that, but I was open to the possibility. They can do what they want with her on PC, but aiming is so exponentially harder on consoles, it was the only other route of possibility to go down. But I'd really rather they buff her abilities.

No doubt.

Against a disorganized group, an accurate widow is extremely un-fun.

I immediately swap to Genji or Winston on the rare occasions I run into them. Even if playing healer.

As a D.Va main, that might be the other reasons I never ran into a problematic Widow. I like to imagine their fear as I fly straight for them, eating their shots up with my DM.

I didn't specifically ask for that, but I was open to the possibility. They can do what they want with her on PC, but aiming is so exponentially harder on consoles, it was the only other route of possibility to go down. But I'd really rather they buff her abilities.

Either way, there was no point in nerfing her on console. She was always one of the worst heroes in the game for that version, and they made her even worse for literally no reason.

hesido

Why did I not map jumping to L1 before, damn. It feels very hard to get used to after 1300 or so matches. But I will get used to it.

I probably lost a couple of matches due to me jumping instead of using special or vice versa at the most critical time, but I'm getting there. Movement should be achieved without changing finger positions, the primary special however could do with the X button. (Lucky that D.Va shield is not effected).. Reinhardt though..

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
On the topic of skins, I gotta say I'm really digging the green(Glitch) Sombra recolor.

As for Widow as unfun as a good one can be, I would actually lower her hookline cooldown. /madness

Veelk

Banned
Either way, there was no point in nerfing her on console. She was always one of the worst heroes in the game for that version, and they made her even worse for literally no reason.
They did it so Zenyatta's wouldn't function as the easy target for her. But ever since his buff, that hasn't been a relevant issue. Now, if she had 150 body shot damage, the only characters she'd put down no matter what are Tracers and D.Va's, of whom I think would be alright to kill in one hit.

As for Widow as unfun as a good one can be, I would actually lower her hookline cooldown. /madness

I'd literally remove it entirely, letting her swing instantly. That might be overpowered, but the best thing that can happen to Widowmaker is to give her real mobility so you can actually play her more interestingly than setting up in a spot and hoping to god that no one decides to look in your direction, and more interesting to fight against because now Widow will have more options than begging for her life whenever enemies decide they should take care of her. I honestly don't think it'd be that big a deal either. Her Hookshot is one of the worst travel abilities in the game, having to aim AND wait for it to latch onto something before pulling her in a predictable direction that enemies can react to.

The fact that the consoles don't have their own PTR is baffling, is it because of Sony/MS patch certification?

they also need to look at console-only buffs/nerfs. I think with the removal of stacking from QP (thank god) they can look at un-nerfing turrets a bit

Why did I not map jumping to L1 before, damn. It feels very hard to get used to after 1300 or so matches. But I will get used to it.

I probably lost a couple of matches due to me jumping instead of using special or vice versa at the most critical time, but I'm getting there. Movement should be achieved without changing finger positions, the primary special however could do with the X button.

Wallride for Lucio and Wallrun/double jump for Genji are L1 for me, Pharah and Mercy jump/hover are L2. The rest I feel like I don't need jump on anything other than X, Titanfall this is not.

Satch

Banned
in dota theres this hero named Techies and he is just fucking awful when he is strong. back when he was one of the top meta picks the game was absolutely abysmal to play because he was in like every game. i had some kind of like game related ptsd or some shit because of that fucking hero. even if he was on my team the noises his abilities made would make me jump in my seat from pure fear (i think LoL players say that he and Teemo are alike? i dont know shit about teemo)

widow is like that. i played against one the other day that was just too good, and then i had one on my team that did the same thing, and it completely ruins the game to have her in it. it's like shes the only one playing the game. when i had her on my team it was just her killing everyone out of spawn and the rest of us standing nearby so they cant get to her

i feel the same way about her that i feel about Techies. she doesnt need to be strong. ever. i cant believe people ever asked for buffs for this hero after she got nerfed the first time. she is the one exception to my "every hero should be good" mantra. if i could delete her from the game id do it in a heartbeat

They did it so Zenyatta's wouldn't function as the easy target for her. But ever since his buff, that hasn't been a relevant issue. Now, if she had 150 body shot damage, the only characters she'd put down no matter what are Tracers and D.Va's, of whom I think would be alright to kill in one hit.

Didn't matter because she was never a threat even before Zenyatta got buffed.

But yeah, buffing her abilities is probably the way to go if you want to make her somewhat useful without making her shut down the game.

in dota theres this hero named Techies and he is just fucking awful when he is strong. back when he was one of the top meta picks the game was absolutely abysmal to play because he was in like every game. i had some kind of like game related ptsd or some shit because of that fucking hero. even if he was on my team the noises his abilities made would make me jump in my seat from pure fear (i think LoL players say that he and Teemo are alike? i dont know shit about teemo)

widow is like that. i played against one the other day that was just too good, and then i had one on my team that did the same thing, and it completely ruins the game to have her in it. it's like shes the only one playing the game. when i had her on my team it was just her killing everyone out of spawn and the rest of us standing nearby so they cant get to her

i feel the same way about her that i feel about Techies. she doesnt need to be strong. ever. i cant believe people ever asked for buffs for this hero after she got nerfed the first time. she is the one exception to my "every hero should be good" mantra. if i could delete her from the game id do it in a heartbeat

I mean a good Winston or D.va can make short work of her without much effort. At least on console. But yes if I had to delete one hero from the game it'd probably be her just because sniping in Overwatch is kinda weird

I mean a good Winston or D.va can make short work of her without much effort. At least on console. But yes if I had to delete one hero from the game it'd probably be her just because sniping in Overwatch is kinda weird

I mean, you kinda have to have a sniper in an FPS. It would be even weirder if she weren't there.

Greddleok

I'm super boring and think that the default skin is the best for pretty much every character.

Slipstream Tracer comes close though. Real close.

Fliesen

I just played my first few rounds of Overwatch yesterday after a .... well, i played for like 3 weeks after release and then i took a break. (for reference, i'm lvl 51)

It's incredible how easy it is to get back into the game. Everything still feels so natural, the match-ups are fair, you find games quickly, people cooperate. Had a great time

Zarya is just so much fun to play, still...

What's new to me is the "no double heroes per team" limit in quick play, and i feel like that's a good thing.

Wound it?

Is this some kind of weird Australian thing?

I just played my first few rounds of Overwatch yesterday after a .... well, i played for like 3 weeks after release and then i took a break. (for reference, i'm lvl 51)

It's incredible how easy it is to get back into the game. Everything still feels so natural, the match-ups are fair, you find games quickly, people cooperate. Had a great time

Zarya is just so much fun to play, still...

What's new to me is the "no double heroes per team" limit in quick play, and i feel like that's a good thing.

You can join us again if you're getting back into it.

Can't guarantee I can get the others to come back though. ;_;

Mendrox

Teemo is the best cancer. He can place mines that can kill champions almost all the time. He poisons people. He gets faster with invisibility in bushes and he can stand still and also get invisible. He also can blind people for a second (I think it's a stun?). Teemo is the fucking worst if he gets feeded lol

Lemstar

reminder that one single amphibian balances an infinitely more complex game better than a 30 billion dollar company

Top Bottom