• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They just need to add a team tip of 'low amount of healing' because in all my games I can't ever think of a situation where 2 healers wouldn't be better than what we're running. Especially when healers like Ana and Zen exist.

Titanfall 2 has an ability called 'phase shift' that is essentially sombra's stealth but the big difference is A) you can phase through people while you do it(which Sombra shouldn't be able to do) and B)you can reload during it(which Sombra should be able to do)

so like I play a lot of Ronin so I'll unload a clip on a Titan in closerange, phase shift, turn reload, come out of phase and unload another clip

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Her ult charge was nerfed heavily, shes more of a preference pick than a must pick now.

Like, not that much though.

She still gets it a lot earlier than other character. Before nerf I was able to get ult even before ana.

Like, if we're going to talk graviton vs blizzard now I'd say blizzard because of how goddamn slow graviton builds up now.

I-hate-u

Her ult charge was nerfed heavily, shes more of a preference pick than a must pick now.

Her ult buildup is still one of the best. Far better than like a Zarya.

On Sombra, Ana wasn't popular when released, and was only ingrained into the meta when the Zenyatta nerf hit and triple tank strats emerged. Likewise, Blizzard might make a tweak soon that ends up favorably for Sombra. I am sure they want to see her in the meta and are actively working on her kit since she was released.

darklin0

Banned
Sombra has this issue going on atm where everything she does isn't enough into the popular teams. It's kind of weird because she has a really strong kit, but like what does she bring into fighting against the major teams right now? Hacking a single person is eh. She can't kill tanks. She can't kill Ana. EMP has to hit Ana plus the tanks or it's not very good.

I wouldn't want her buffed because she still is really scary, she's just not good in a meta where tanks and Ana are going insane.

Also Envy did win with Reaper on their strats, but I will say he had low impact. Reaper in general had pretty low impact, Soldier might have been better. He's definitely usable though!
Half her kit is stopped with almost minimal effort. I agree her kit is good but, it can't do anything that another character can do by just shooting their way through.

Antiwhippy

Like in the previous semifinal, it was really bad zarya play to be fair, but the zarya on attack of numbani could only build up ult near the end, and didn't even get to use it because she couldn't find a chance to use it and not a single graviton was used.

NiP's zarya still seems to be really good but I wonder if it's just their opponents not catching up to the new meta yet.

People focus on the bubbles but the new ult charge nerf really fucked with her.

MUnited83

For you.

? Didn't she basically get a practical buff by having her charge reduced by only 15% instead of the 25% everyone else got? She fills up much faster than most of the rooster.

Antiwhippy

? Didn't she basically get a practical buff by having her charge reduced by only 15% instead of the 25% everyone else got? She fills up much faster than most of the rooster.

No, it's on top of that.

She still gets it fast though, instead of getting it ridiculously fast.

Anne

Half her kit is stopped with almost minimal effort. I agree her kit is good but, it can't do anything that another character can do by just shooting their way through.

Well, in a situation where she can just murder people out of invis she's not bad tbh. Like hacking can be stopped by shooting, but hacking is kind of really good and she doesn't need to hack to be effective. Just like, who's she going to jump on or play around this patch? The Roadhog? lol

Edit: Yeah, Mei ult charge was nerfed by 40% and you still get it too often lmao

Antiwhippy

It's kinda better for me because I would get it so often I would just waste it more often than not. :p

Now I actually have to be considerate with my ult.

darklin0

Banned
Well, in a situation where she can just murder people out of invis she's not bad tbh. Like hacking can be stopped by shooting, but hacking is kind of really good and she doesn't need to hack to be effective. Just like, who's she going to jump on or play around this patch? The Roadhog? lol

Edit: Yeah, Mei ult charge was nerfed by 40% and you still get it too often lmao

Yep, that is what I was getting at. Against a high utility team she would be pretty effective but the meta is constant high damage output.

On top of that pro teams stick super close together so finding that key pick is really hard.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
As someone who plays a lot of Winston, I now know how Reapers feel when they see Winston when I see Reinahrdt

juke city.

Anne

It's not the damage, it's the health. Sombra can't really put a dent into whatever the tanks + Ana are doing. She'd have to hack and jump the Ana. She can't do that because A) Ana is good enough to stop Genji/Tracer/etc from jumping her B) if she does the enemy team just goes all in on her or the dive.

caesar

Banned
Like, not that much though.

She still gets it a lot earlier than other character. Before nerf I was able to get ult even before ana.

Her ult buildup is still one of the best. Far better than like a Zarya.

Its relatively quick but she used to have it literally every fight. Not really worth taking up a Roadhog/dva or Zarya slot a lot of the time and I don't agree that her ult is more impactful than zaryas the frequency isn't nearly enough anymore.I mean, you could definitely argue for torb over mei on 2nd point anubis right now.

Rizzi

I don't get Sombra. She seems kind of.. bad? She's squishy as hell, can't hack while she's invisible/getting damaged and doesn't really seem to do much. Am I missing something? :s

Antiwhippy

Its relatively quick but she used to have it literally every fight. Not really worth taking up a Roadhog/dva or Zarya slot a lot of the time and I don't agree that her ult is more impactful than zaryas the frequency isn't nearly enough anymore.I mean, you could definitely argue for torb over mei on 2nd point anubis right now.

LH vs KDU Esca practically won them a point during the third phase when they had only 1 min in the timebank because he was able to build up ult during the first fight. That's still really fast.

They fucked up in a lot of ways but esca switching to mei was pretty the most impactful change in the game. Won them B during first round, nearly held B during 2nd round, and won them A during third. Could have held if they didn't waste ults because the ult charge nerf really hurts that. You can't just blow 4 ults at the same time anymore if you know that the enemy team still has their ults building up.

I don't get Sombra. She seems kind of.. bad? She's squishy as hell, can't hack while she's invisible/getting damaged and doesn't really seem to do much. Am I missing something? :s
She works well in quick play because nobody plays healer so everyone relies on health packs lmao

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

She's basically as much an attack as Symmetra is a support. She'll probably see some changes once the newness wears off since if she was really strong everyone would be playing her.

Greddleok

Yeah, I thought she did too much damage at first, but now I feel like she's a free kill for most people.

The best thing about her is the hacking health packs. I didn't realise it made them recharge quicker.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
also in his current state NO close range people are having a good time right now because of Soldier 76

and Sombra's gun is best at close range.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
oh i dont know about that, having that health pack under the bridge on anubis point b and not letting the enemy team have it can be gamechanging.

you know in the world of solo queues where you dont have lucio and have to rely on human error anas

Greddleok

also in his current state NO close range people are having a good time right now because of Soldier 76

and Sombra's gun is best at close range.

Don't forget about the D.Vas everywhere. All I know is that when I see a Sombra, I just get all up in her shit and make her panic. She just can't escape.

Antiwhippy

I'm kinda debating if sombra should have her hack be interruptable.

Mei can get her freeze on without being interrupted and to me stun still > silence.

It's much easier for sombra to get into the backlines though so I dunno.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think a damage boost when she comes out of stealth would go a long way.

Hacks on a 12 second cooldown so its kind of crazy that it's interruptable.

Greddleok

Mei's is a much closer range though...right? You've got to be in someones face, and things that negate damage also negate the freeze.

If it was uninterruptible with a shorter range, then Sombra would need to be a little more tanky like Mei. Maybe uninterruptible but with a longer cool down would be better.

caesar

Banned
LH vs KDU Esca practically won them a point during the third phase when they had only 1 min in the timebank because he was able to build up ult during the first fight. That's still really fast.

They fucked up in a lot of ways but esca switching to mei was pretty the most impactful change in the game. Won them B during first round, nearly held B during 2nd round, and won them A during third. Could have held if they didn't waste ults because the ult charge nerf really hurts that. You can't just blow 4 ults at the same time anymore if you know that the enemy team still has their ults building up.

Esca basically only plays McCree and Mei and pulled off some clutch hs on that round with Mei. He kept them in the fight but tbh they deserved to lose there. Pretty hard to think of many other examples where a Mei carried the game this patch.

Antiwhippy

People underestimate the freeze range honestly. It's pretty much the same range as hack.

Also heals don't negate freeze if that's what you're saying?

Skii

I'm kinda debating if sombra should have her hack be interruptable.

Mei can get her freeze on without being interrupted and to me stun still > silence.

It's much easier for sombra to get into the backlines though so I dunno.

But if Sombra's hack cant be interrupted, she gets a guaranteed kill. Ana can't do anything to her when she's hacked and if a trade happens, that's fine. Any trade is worth it to take out an opponent's Ana.

The difference is, Mei hasn't got easy access to the healers whilst Sombra does. She'd be mandatory if she could get the confirmed kill on a healer every fight.

Antiwhippy

Esca basically only plays McCree and Mei and pulled off some clutch hs on that round with Mei. He kept them in the fight but tbh they deserved to lose there. Pretty hard to think of many other examples where a Mei carried the game this patch.

AF Blue Vs BK Stars on Nepal at the previous semi.

It's KotH though and nepal is real good for mei so I dunno.

Azoor

Every time I see mariachi Reaper I get some mariachi music playing in my head.

Being always behind him and seeing the guitar doesn't help.

I-hate-u

I'm kinda debating if Sombra should have her hack be interruptable.

I think so definitely and I bet its going to be one of her first changes. Considering she will never be picked as a pure DPS character, they should at least make it so that her utility is reliable enough to do what she is intended for.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
And Rein/Winston's shields.

Rein's shield and Winston's shields don't negate it. They just stop the weapon from hitting. You can run through the shield and continue freezing them.

Like if you're Mei and you've got Reinhardt in a position that you're freezing him and he shield,s you've already won. You just walk through and finish freezing him.

I stealth to a backline / sideline health pack as Sombra, hack the Health Pack, then make the Health Pack my home with a translocator before going out to cause mischief and hopefully pick off some healers or squishy snipers on the backline. As soon as it begins to head south, I boop back to my hacked healthpack, wait the 6 seconds for the translocator to refresh, then repeat.

ISOM

I think so definitely and I bet its going to be one of her first changes. Considering she will never be picked as a pure DPS character, they should at least make it so that her utility is reliable enough to do what she is intended for.

I'd rather have no countdown on her relocater. Having her hack be uninterruptible is too OP imo.

AngryMoth

Didn't realise this dream hack tournament was also going on today. Shame that it overlapped with the Korean one, I guess NRG, Reunited and Rogue won't be competing?

NeoRaider

There is no way i can win 1v1 with Reaper. I am that bad. (Also Zarya and Winston)

Can someone please give me tips for Reaper? Should i aim head or body?

I-hate-u

I'd rather have no countdown on her relocater. Having her hack be uninterruptible is too OP imo.

The way I think of it is that running a Sombra is a trade off where you miss-out on a strong DPS, so she should at least be a very strong flanker.

Top Bottom