• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Skii

The tank meta is imo the most boring meta. I really dont enjoy the emphasis on being defensive and basically not fucking up. I'd rather a more DPS heavy meta where players need to be proactive and actually chase the kills.

It's really weird that teams managed to find a way to counter the tank meta last season and Blizzard went out of their way to ensure tanks defined the meta once again.

IceMarker

This game is one-sided bullshit more than any other game I've ever played in my life, games never last more than 5 minutes or the defensive team is so strong the first point/checkpoint is never capped. Blizzard really needs to look into the balance issues beyond poor Symmetra.

Nimby

Banned
Hopefully we get a quick update that dials D.Va and Soldier back a bit. Like how they did with McCree when Ana came out.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The tank meta is imo the most boring meta. I really dont enjoy the emphasis on being defensive and basically not fucking up. I'd rather a more DPS heavy meta where players need to be proactive and actually chase the kills.

It's really weird that teams managed to find a way to counter the tank meta last season and Blizzard went out of their way to ensure tanks defined the meta once again.

3 dps won dreamhack tho.

Prelude.

This game is one-sided bullshit more than any other game I've ever played in my life, games never last more than 5 minutes or the defensive team is so strong the first point/checkpoint is never capped. Blizzard really needs to look into the balance issues beyond poor Symmetra.
Did you just start playing? You might be in an MMR of new players that don't know to play yet. Normal games don't last 5 minutes, usually nothing happens until overtime starts and the point is capped.

Games usually don't last less than 5 minutes unless one team is super outclassed or unprepared. You should probably just wait until season 3 starts and then most of the obscenely skilled players will be there and the matchmaking won't screw you over.

Alternatively, you could just be bad.

IceMarker

Did you just start playing? You might be in an MMR of new players that don't know to play yet. Normal games don't last 5 minutes, usually nothing happens until overtime starts and the point is capped.

I played over 100 hours when I got into closed beta back in April, played a bit during May and didn't play again until a co-worker bought it for me for an early Xmas gift because I was busy playing the other Blizzard games and wanted to have someone to play with. I know what games that are close feel like, and I had way more of those in closed beta than I do now.

Alternatively, I could just be bad yes, but that should mean I should have some shitty opponents/godlike teammates right?

caesar

Banned
I played over 100 hours when I got into closed beta back in April, played a bit during May and didn't play again until a co-worker bought it for me for an early Xmas gift because I was busy playing the other Blizzard games and wanted to have someone to play with. I know what games that are close feel like, and I had way more of those in closed beta than I do now.

Alternatively, I could just be bad yes, but that should mean I should have some shitty opponents/godlike teammates right?

People are way better at the game now. You haven't played since May so yeah you're bad but keep losing and you will get bad opponents and bad teammates.

Optimistic future.

Really? A shocking amount of my games are really close.

ISOM

Who decided to buff D.Va and nerf Zarya at the same time? The new D.Va is worse than Zarya ever was.

I have no idea why they needed to nerf Zarya so much though. I don't mind the D.Va buff but it's like they nerfed Zarya and Buffed D.Va so that she gets her time in the spotlight.

darklin0

Banned
They decided to do that because DVa was getting punted by zarya to the point of irrelevancy.

I would of been fine with either or but with both she has no counter.
I have no idea why they needed to nerf Zarya so much though. I don't mind the D.Va buff but it's like they nerfed Zarya and Buffed D.Va so that she gets her time in the spotlight.
Yep. I feel this way about the Soldier buff too. Like come on, too much.

I-hate-u

Who decided to buff D.Va and nerf Zarya at the same time? The new D.Va is worse than Zarya ever was.

Nah man, Zarya's carry was real and her ult was and still is one of the strongest in the game. She used to get charge so easy, so she was an effective DPS with clutch shields.

darklin0

Banned
Nah man, Zarya's carry was real and her ult was and still is one of the strongest in the game. She used to get charge so easy, so she was an effective DPS with clutch shields.

Yeah, the nerf was to curb that but they also implemented the global ult charge nerf which only added to the nerf.

Antiwhippy

I would of been fine with either or but with both she has no counter.

Yep. I feel this way about the Soldier buff too. Like come on, too much.

I dunno about that. I was thinking that but zebbosai and mafu were able to go toe to toe with DVa despite it all. Thing is that it's not a straight up hard counter now.

Also there's very little DVa can do when she gets ganged up on with a mei.

darklin0

Banned
I dunno about that. I was thinking that but zebbosai and mafu were able to go toe to toe with DVa despite it all. Thing is that it's not a straight up hard counter now.

Also there's very little DVa can do when she gets ganged up on with a mei.
Which was the same argument for Zarya before.

Antiwhippy

Which was the same argument for Zarya before.

Thing is it's kinda nebulous right now? People are going to DVa because she's the easy "oh god we need to not melt to nano visor" and also just generally good now, but the zarya mains are still really good with zarya.

Blues1990

400-odd people have been added. Only 85 more to go. :/

Speaking of which, the document needs to be updated, as there are several usernames that are blank.

Heh, been a while since I've been called a "tryhard" in chat. Had an enemy Roadhog trying to shame me for my low SR ranking in QP, probably because my Ana just kept sleep-darting him and blocking his self-heal. Couldn't help it, he was just such a juicy target.

darklin0

Banned
Thing is it's kinda nebulous right now? People are going to DVa because she's the easy "oh god we need to not melt to nano visor" and also just generally good now, but the zarya mains are still really good with zarya.
Soldier is the only reason why more people are not complaining about D.Va
Heh, been a while since I've been called a "tryhard" in chat. Had an enemy Roadhog trying to shame me for my low SR ranking in QP, probably because my Ana just kept sleep-darting him and blocking his self-heal. Couldn't help it, he was just such a juicy target.
I group with a couple of friends and they do not play ranked at all. The other 6 man was complaining about us being serious on QP and no just having fun. We were running nothing you could call meta. Just some people get so salty for no reason.

Antiwhippy

Which sucks because I love playing DVa but people complain the shit out of her whenver she gets something.

"Oh zarya getting near 100% pickrates, that's fine. DVA see a little rise in usage? NERF NERF NERF."

Veelk

Banned
Which sucks because I love playing DVa but people complain the shit out of her whenver she gets something.

"Oh zarya getting near 100% pickrates, that's fine. DVA see a little rise in usage? NERF NERF NERF."

I don't get why people complain. Her health is huge right now, sure, but she's arguably the biggest of the tanks with a clear headshot hitbox with an ult that doesn't even hit anyone half of the time.

She's good, but she's not some unstoppable force of nature. Which Zarya very much could be and was, since her main weaknesses counters seem to be sniper like fighters.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I don't think it's that surprising when her kit is honestly anti-fun at its core. DM by design basically just shuts most of the cast out from doing anything, her whole gameplan is esentially harass and cockblock DPS all game. I think she's fun to play but she isn't fun to fight...Sombra is kinda the same. I dread the day she's inevitably buffed to be picked in every game.

Really though my main thoughts are just that Blizz jumped the gun on these changes. Soldier at the very least never should have hit the live game as he is now.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just tried 1v1 this morning.

"Free loot box!" said I.

"How bad can it be?" said I.

Let me tell you, learning how to play Torb, Sym and Mei on the fly in this mode was one of the most excruciating, yet somehow exhilarating things I've ever had the (dis)pleasure of experiencing in OW.

For the record, I won 5-1 (lost with Zarya, my most played hero - go figure) and got jack-all from the box. NEVER AGAIN.

Just tried 1v1 this morning.

"Free loot box!" said I.

"How bad can it be?" said I.

Let me tell you, learning how to play Torb, Sym and Mei on the fly in this mode was one of the most excruciating, yet somehow exhilarating things I've ever had the (dis)pleasure of experiencing in OW.

For the record, I won 5-1 (lost with Zarya, my most played hero - go figure) and got jack-all from the box. NEVER AGAIN.

Fortunately for you, that free loot box can only be gotten once, so you never have to play it again.

hypernima

Banned
Two bastions got 5-6 likes in some pub games today.
So I play bastion because sombra's taken, get potg. and get 0 likes multiple matches.
is it me or is it bastion?

Blues1990

With December around the corner, does anyone want to discuss the inevitable Winter/Christmas event for Overwatch?

When do you think it will be officially announced?

What winter holiday-themed cosmetics (Highlight Intro, Skins, Sprays, etc.) would you like to see?

What maps would you like to see get revamped to be Christmas themed?

If a new Player VS. Enemy event will be revealed, what would you like it to be?

I-hate-u

Assuming it's going to carry into the New Years, I am guessing it'll be announced and released in the second Tuesday of December.
And if it follows the trend of the past events it'll leak days before.

Blues1990

Assuming it's going to carry into the New Years, I am guessing it'll be announced and released in the second Tuesday of December.
And if it follows the trend of the past events it'll leak days before.

Ah, so the 13th of December (if extended to NYE/NYD) or the 6th. I do hope the event isn't leaked ahead of time, as I would like to be a cool surprise.

Top Bottom