• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Skii

My problem is my preferred heroes are all over the map. I don't have a set role I can clearly fill.

I overwhelmingly play Zarya in comp, but I can also do Genji/Zenyatta/Ana, maybe a little Winston, maybe one of the other DPS (but usually less optimally than someone else, and there's almost never a shortage of DPS). I'm good at Junkrat, too, but it's honestly been more than a month or two since I've used him even as a joke. I love Sombra, but it's too soon to know how she will actually fit in the meta or even to risk picking her.

I've tried getting better at Rein to nail down a tank role, but he's not intuitive to me.

That's a good set of heroes. It's basically what I play on competitive as well but I've also started learning some Rein because it just gives you a massive advantage in this game to have a Rein. It's sad but true. Maybe this new meta will change it a bit, I dunno.

For Rein, when learning him, just go as aggressive as possible and then dial it back. A good Reinhardt needs to be getting kills like the other tanks.

Anne

For Rein, when learning him, just go as aggressive as possible and then dial it back. A good Reinhardt needs to be getting kills like the other tanks.

Not always. I'd focus on learning the RPS first, if you can get that down you're very far ahead.

Speaking of Rein, there are a lot of times when I'm playing as him and I don't notice that my health is low and I end up dying when I'm ready to start swinging my hammer after I ulted. It also happens with other characters sometimes, but it's really frequent with Rein in the heat of the battle. I wish they add some sort of option so that the health bar starts blinking red if it went as low as X value. Sound cues just aren't enough sometimes.

Sullichin

91-65 record in quickplay with Zenyatta.. pretty happy with that considering I solo queue and have been put into so many losing matches and paired with some really horrible teams. Nothing is ever my fault!!! ;)

QP does lead to some interesting compositions though that wouldn't fly at a higher skill level. Surprising wins with attack Torbs, no tanks, one healer, three healers, etc

I love killing Reinhardt as Zenyatta. If you miss a pin you get discorded and die. After that, DPS characters are the most fun to kill because the way some people fight Zen you can tell they're too overconfident.

Skii

Not always. I'd focus on learning the RPS first, if you can get that down you're very far ahead.

You're talking about mind games right? At gold/platinum level, there are none. It's literally all about which Rein isn't stupid enough to overcommit because his team is not going to bubble/heal him or commit with him when it happens.

So many times a Rein will get a good pin on me but will die instantly because his Zarya/Ana doesn't follow up. It's so luck based and I'd be against it on defence because of the line of defence players make at this level.

At master level, I'm sure everything is dictated by which Rein is winning the 1v1 battle but I dunno about the lower levels. Maybe there is some pseudo mind games as well that's completely different to higher level play? I dunno.

Maligna

Banned
This game needs a female Omnic. Actually it needs more Omnics in general. Isn't there only like 2 right now?

They should rip off Transformers and have an Omnic that can transform into a car and speed around the map. As a trade off it can't shoot anyone anymore but it can zoom around really fast making it hard to hit, but it has to rely on ramming into people to damage them. Also, people who aren't on the ground would probably be safe. I think it could be fairly balanced.

1278384007_79_71646_a8873e4903b6ee3.jpg

Chance

91-65 record in quickplay with Zenyatta.. pretty happy with that considering I solo queue and have been put into so many losing matches and paired with some really horrible teams. Nothing is ever my fault!!! ;)

QP does lead to some interesting compositions though that wouldn't fly at a higher skill level. Surprising wins with attack Torbs, no tanks, one healer, three healers, etc

I love killing Reinhardt as Zenyatta. If you miss a pin you get discorded and die. After that, DPS characters are the most fun to kill because the way some people fight Zen you can tell they're too overconfident.

I posted a Tracer gameplay vid the other day and a forumer said "you are way less afraid of Zenyattas than I am."

https://youtu.be/4aWqtGY2-6E

I am terrified of Zenyatta. Like New Soldier and McCree, that's one hero you have to approach like it's a sleeping bear. Give it respect. Stay away from the business end.

Edit (PS4)

NeoRaider

I was playing Sombra little more these past 2 days and i have to say that she is very fun, like i said before, but she can also be very frustrating to play.
Sometimes i feel like she is powerful enough but sometimes i think that she is weak. I guess it depends on the enemy team lol.

I realized that you need to think before doing anything with her and don't rush. You must have your translocator ready or you will get destroyed no matter what. You also need to stay close to your teammates. She is very good "hit and run" hero, but it's hard to have final blow with her because of her weak SMG.

Imo. they should increase translocator duration from 15 to 20 or 25 or remove the cooldown when translocator is not used AND increase her SMG dmg little bit.

Maligna

Banned
I was playing Sombra little more these past 2 days and i have to say that she is very fun, like i said before, but she can also be very frustrating to play.
Sometimes i feel like she is powerful enough but sometimes i think that she is weak. I guess it depends on the enemy team lol.

I realized that you need to think before doing anything with her and don't rush. You must have your translocator ready or you will get destroyed no matter what. You also need to stay close to your teammates. She is very good "hit and run" hero, but it's hard to have final blow with her because of her weak SMG.

Imo. they should increase translocator duration from 15 to 20 or 25 or remove the cooldown when translocator is not used AND increase her SMG dmg little bit.

I still forget to throw my translocator to have for an escape plan before I go into the fray. It's only when I start getting shot I realize that I have no way out.

NeoRaider

I still forget to throw my translocator to have for an escape plan before I go into the fray. It's only when I start getting shot I realize that I have no way out.

Lmao, i guess it happens to everyone because she is new. It used to happen to me too a lot. But like i said don't rush. Plan things and think before doing anything stupid. lol

komaruR

You're talking about mind games right? At gold/platinum level, there are none. It's literally all about which Rein isn't stupid enough to overcommit because his team is not going to bubble/heal him or commit with him when it happens.

So many times a Rein will get a good pin on me but will die instantly because his Zarya/Ana doesn't follow up. It's so luck based and I'd be against it on defence because of the line of defence players make at this level.

At master level, I'm sure everything is dictated by which Rein is winning the 1v1 battle but I dunno about the lower levels. Maybe there is some pseudo mind games as well that's completely different to higher level play? I dunno.
i always see charge happy reins in low lv plays when I play with a particular group of friends. Give me a smile in my face when I see charge happy reins on the enemy team because they get punish for it lol.
my friends are around the gold to low plat ranks. they only do qp so i'm fine with just messing around too. I rarely play as rein with then tho, because getting my friends to stay behind my shield is impossible. did it a couple of games and it just get me mad at my friends for not even trying team play, thus I gave up. The only time I do rein is when I play in comp when the team really wants to win and will play team play by sticking behind me and poke away. Though my rein play tend to be aggressive, I tried my best to hold back lol. Now I usually just charge if I see a lone enemy or especially a lone rein trying to come contest. I charge after I earthshatter tho and this is what I need to restrain from doing too much. like when in a group of enemy gets earthshatter'ed i still charge in, but i could have just go in and whackamole to dmg all instead of targeting 1 specific enemy. guess I really need to read the situation more.

I posted a Tracer gameplay vid the other day and a forumer said "you are way less afraid of Zenyattas than I am."

https://youtu.be/4aWqtGY2-6E

I am terrified of Zenyatta. Like New Soldier and McCree, that's one hero you have to approach like it's a sleeping bear. Give it respect. Stay away from the business end.

Edit (PS4)
back when I play tracer frequently and after the buff to zen's discord (the 50% dmg one) I get my face booted in. learned from my mistake to never get into melee distance for zen. which in turn teached me how to play a booting zen lol.

I got 10 QP hours on Sombra now. I think her kit is fun and insane and giving her buffs will be so tricky because I feel that she's underpowered in terms of damage output, but almost any buff will be a sudden swing to her being overpowered due to her peerless escapability. The spray on her gun just seems to make it fairly unpredictable, especially when small, thin targets know to hop around like a jackrabbit when a wild Sombra appears.

Things on Sombra that don't make sense to me:
- Sombra having a voiceline when coming out of stealth. I get that the character is a bit cocky but I'd rather her destealth take a half second longer than for her to exclaim her presence when coming out of stealth. It seems to go against being in stealth.
- Sombra's EMP having a hard Line of Sight issue. EMPs shouldn't be rendered ineffective by an enemy happening to be behind a lamppost - that's definitely not how EMPs should be expected to work anyway. I've had so many EMPs where I just hear a nearby enemy cast an ult a couple seconds later and I wonder what why how who when.
- Sombra countering Sombra with hacked health packs. A Sombra should be able to unhack a hacked health pack. Make the hack time 2x or 3x longer to do so or something, or hack it back into neutral before hacking it again fully for your team. This is just frustrating.

For her damage, I don't envy Blizzard on finding a balanced damage amount and gun spread. The balancing tightrope for a character like Sombra must be really tough. I think one of two changes should be made to her gun: either give her a bigger clip to spray jumping, bouncing, fleeing enemies for a longer period of time, or tighten the gun's spread while slightly reducing the clip to compensate - this makes her skill ceiling higher but it might be the better fit.

Maligna

Banned
Was playing some Widowmaker the other night (actually got POTG with her, which I thought would be impossible) and was wondering why the cooldown on her grappling hook is so long?

I'm not sure why they chose to do that. I think it's like 12 seconds? What could it hurt if it was half that time, kinda like Sombra's invisibility? A lot of the time I needed to escape after being found and I had no ability to do it.

I'd actually prefer they didn't mess with Sombra's gun, because it's a great clean-up tool but a bad initiator, and that's probably as it should be. I'd prefer they lengthened the duration on stealth slightly and made hacking a little bit easier (longer range?). Make comboing/situational stuff more important. She shouldn't have the ganking ability of a Tracer/Genji.

If they do buff her gun, her transloc will need some nerfs to compensate.

Prelude.

I played over 100 hours when I got into closed beta back in April, played a bit during May and didn't play again until a co-worker bought it for me for an early Xmas gift because I was busy playing the other Blizzard games and wanted to have someone to play with. I know what games that are close feel like, and I had way more of those in closed beta than I do now.

Alternatively, I could just be bad yes, but that should mean I should have some shitty opponents/godlike teammates right?
So you're a new player for the mmr, nothing transfers from the beta. You're getting paired up against other new players.

ISOM

Was playing some Widowmaker the other night (actually got POTG with her, which I thought would be impossible) and was wondering why the cooldown on her grappling hook is so long?

I'm not sure why they chose to do that. I think it's like 12 seconds? What could it hurt if it was half that time, kinda like Sombra's invisibility? A lot of the time I needed to escape after being found and I had no ability to do it.

Because making Widowmaker too viable would negatively affect the community. People don't play Overwatch to have a bunch of Widowmakers flipping all over maps one shotting people.

Sullichin

Man
I am still amazed at the amount of anime fanart for Overwatch. Why does all of this exist. I know it's a great cast of characters but why is so much of the fanart anime style. That's one portion of the internet I will never understand. I realize I just EMP'd myself and am standing in front of a rocket barrage with this comment. No offense meant it just fascinates me!

I tried playing Tracer a bit to see if I can get good with her because of that video someone posted a little while ago and like... no. Nope. Never going to happen. Playing her just makes me angry and frustrated haha, not my style at all. I do like Sombra though, and it's a lot less disorienting playing her, and she has a somewhat similar role.

Anne

Man
I am still amazed at the amount of anime fanart for Overwatch. Why does all of this exist. I know it's a great cast of characters but why is so much of the fanart anime style. That's one portion of the internet I will never understand. I realize I just EMP'd myself and am standing in front of a rocket barrage with this comment. No offense meant it just fascinates me!

It's just the IP has really colorful and unique characters and happens to be extremely popular in Asia. That's it really. I don't know if you wanted an actual answer but it really is that simple. Asian artists like a game that has been a catalyst of fan art world wide.

Chance

I tried playing Tracer a bit to see if I can get good with her because of that video someone posted a little while ago and like... no. Nope. Never going to happen. Playing her just makes me angry and frustrated haha, not my style at all. I do like Sombra though, and it's a lot less disorienting playing her, and she has a somewhat similar role.

Good Tracer Matches are far and away the most fun I've had with the game. Try to stick with it! When she clicks, it's ridonkulous.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'm in the same boat as you. I like Tracer's mobility and I know she can be good, but oh god I suck with her. I feel like I'm actively a detriment to the team whenever I try her so it feels awful.

Auctopus

I was thinking whilst playing the other day if a Healer character could ever be implemented that couldn't heal characters at all when alive but could revive corpses.

Similar to the defibrilator in BF4, it could have a cooldown of like 8-10 seconds, whatever they use to revive their teammates can do minor damage to enemies or stun them then the secondary could be something defensive like a smoke grenade.

It'd probably be way too OP, no idea what the ultimate could be either.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I was thinking whilst playing the other day if a Healer character could ever be implemented that couldn't heal characters at all when alive but could revive corpses.

Similar to the defibrilator in BF4, it could have a cooldown of like 8-10 seconds, whatever they use to revive their teammates can do minor damage to enemies or stun them then the secondary could be something defensive like a smoke grenade.

That's a cool idea but yeah, probably way too OP. Combine that healer with a Mercy and your team will be ridiculously hard to kill.

Tracer's probably my favorite attacker to use now. Nothing like hunting down a support or Junkrat and erasing them before the rest of the team can do anything about it.

Chance

Tracer requires a bit of effort to work

Tracer actually requires a decent team to work too.

That's all heroes, though. I think Tracer is great both at going behind enemy lines and one-on-oneing any other hero and at keeping with a team, adding her DPS to focus fire (and chasing down a red when they duck for cover at low HP.)

She can survive and do work without a great team behind her. With a great team she's insane (IMO), but she's a force when solo.

Anne

She's okay solo. I agree if given space she's absolutely absurd.

More people, especially tanks, need to learn how to take and control space better. It's getting kinda ehhhh sitting around in drawn out poke fights or watching tanks stand still all the time. Next big step up in online ladder will be the people who can do that well.

komaruR

resurrect him/herself!

She's okay solo. I agree if given space she's absolutely absurd.

More people, especially tanks, need to learn how to take and control space better. It's getting kinda ehhhh sitting around in drawn out poke fights or watching tanks stand still all the time. Next big step up in online ladder will be the people who can do that well.

maybe a 3v3 map with a hallway like choke with no flank routes. this way it force player to learn how to win in a controlling the choke

Anne

maybe a 3v3 map with a hallway like choke with no flank routes. this way it force player to learn how to win in a controlling the choke

I figured the main game modes would do that? Idk if it needs something like that. It should happen naturally like these things tend to do. Just saying it's the next big step I expect to see in comp ladder style stuff. The supports got better over time, next logical step is for the tanks to get better too.

You always gonna have a DPS on your team that can't aim though.

Edit: Not saying there aren't good tank players out there btw. There are plenty, it's just more rare than it should be. It's also not just on tanks to manage the map too.

cyborg009

Banned
This game needs a female Omnic. Actually it needs more Omnics in general. Isn't there only like 2 right now?

They should rip off Transformers and have an Omnic that can transform into a car and speed around the map. As a trade off it can't shoot anyone anymore but it can zoom around really fast making it hard to hit, but it has to rely on ramming into people to damage them. Also, people who aren't on the ground would probably be safe. I think it could be fairly balanced.

1278384007_79_71646_a8873e4903b6ee3.jpg

aetna winston computer is probably the best chance.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
There are some bad players though. I kept dming and giving space for this mccree yesterday but he still managed to let the opposing pharah dominate the game. They complaint about my dva play but the only card or team got at the end was my dmg blocked card so, i dunno.

Though it did make me evaluate if it's better to make space by harassing as a dva or to stick with your team and protect them. I feel like it's harder to do the harassing route with a pharah.

Anne

There are some bad players though. I kept dming and giving space for this mccree yesterday but he still managed to let the opposing pharah dominate the game. They complaint about my dva play but the only card or team got at the end was my dmg blocked card so, i dunno.

Though it did make me evaluate if it's better to make space by harassing as a dva or to stick with your team and protect them. I feel like it's harder to do the harassing route with a pharah.

I think it's generally accepted that it's better to harass people unless there's some type of big poke set up she's needed for? I guess it just depends. If Soldier is set up somewhere the space created by sitting in his face for 6s is usually too good to pass up. Meanwhile if nothing is really that level of threatening you can just use DM to walk somebody up to a kill.

The funniest shit is watching D.Va walk a Roadhog around the enemy team's frontline to get the pick. Like she gets to pressure Rein shield, then she just enables him to hook however he wants.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
One of the Titans in Titanfall 2 is a flame Titan that esentially shoots a grenade launcher that explodes into flames on the ground. His version of a grenade is essentially a propane tank that he throws onto the fire to spread it out over the floor and burn anything that walks in it for a short amount of time. Working as area denial and complete overwhelming destruction for anyone that gets caught in it.

That'd be a fun Overwatch character type. It's not like a Pyro from TF2 or anything. It's all about maintaining the ground with fire and getting the enemy into the fire.

Top Bottom