• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Fonds

With December around the corner, does anyone want to discuss the inevitable Winter/Christmas event for Overwatch?

When do you think it will be officially announced?

What winter holiday-themed cosmetics (Highlight Intro, Skins, Sprays, etc.) would you like to see?

What maps would you like to see get revamped to be Christmas themed?

If a new Player VS. Enemy event will be revealed, what would you like it to be?

The Grinch Junkrat

Bum-Santa Zenyetta

Rudolf the red nosed Reindeer Bastion

Snow-woman Mei

Gingerbread Torbjorn

Christmas decorated Reinhardt

Wise-man (king) Reaper

Robed Angel Mercy

Elf Helper Tracer

Fonds

^^ If Winston doesn't get a skin people will riot.

What about a 'Jingle all the way' themed Winston?

In a Turbo-Man doll suit?

jingle-all-the-way.jpg

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh.

Well, I've added everyone who's listed their region as Aus so if that's you, expect a friend request waiting for you.

Antiwhippy, did you end up getting OW for PS4 as well?

Nope.

I mean if there's something that's going to be occupying me on the PS4 for the next few months, it's probably FFXV. :p

Blues1990

A holiday themed Illios would be nice.
Same goes with Lijiang Tower, such as the interior of the building is littered with cheap office Christmas decorations, it's snowing outside, & such.

With rumours of Mei getting a holiday-themed Legendary skin for the event, it's only fitting that her home town gets the treatment.

Same goes with Lijiang Tower, such as the interior of the building is littered with cheap office Christmas decorations, it's snowing outside, & such.

With rumours of Mei getting a holiday-themed Legendary skin for the event, it's only fitting that her home town gets the treatment.

I'm guessing it'll be Nepal, as that would require the least amount of work.

Also have a feeling it could be King's Row. No particular reason, just a feeling.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Junkrat doesn't need any more skins

Unless it's a transparent skin where I don't have to look at his whimsical 13 year old designed joker knockoff face.

joanot

I have some friends that play OW on Xbox so this BF I couldn't resist getting one to play with them..., the thing is I usually play OW on PC/PS4 and after playing for 2 hours on Xbox I'm a bit disappointed, performance tends to be underwhelming for the most part with framerate going down constantly in big shotouts, screen tearing all over the place, much more jaggies than PS4...

Is this kind of performance normal ?? I got the game on digital format.

I knew dynamic resolution was lower on Xbox and I can live with that & worse IQ in general but framerate drops & screen tearing... those are huge no-nos for me in a game like OW : /

Mendrox

Never would have thought that I see complaints about Dva. I am still proud that she is a beast now. And I main her since the begining where her utlimate would her kill her too. \o/

Fuck Zarya.

Kiro

They need to keep this a holiday event and not a christmas event. Expect at least 1 hannukah skin, etc as well. Plus there may be skins that are what other countries may wear for Christmas festivities.

Antiwhippy

When I face a good widow I just want to quit the game.

Also I got a card for enemies EMP'd but only 1 offensive assist. I don't know if it's sombra sucking or if the community is so goddamn unknowledgeable about the game that they don't know something as simple as "group of enemy emp'd" > "GET THE FUCK IN THERE"

I'll have reins hacked and no one would fucking get in on him for whatever reason.

Blues1990

The Grinch Junkrat

Bum-Santa Zenyetta

Rudolf the red nosed Reindeer Bastion

Snow-woman Mei

Gingerbread Torbjorn

Christmas decorated Reinhardt

Wise-man (king) Reaper

Robed Angel Mercy

Elf Helper Tracer

I wouldn't mind seeing the following:

-Father Christmas Torbjorn
-Mother Christmas Ana
-Elf D.VA
-Yeti Winston
-Snow Woman/Reindeer Mei

As for sprays, I think it's a given that we will see the cast doing their thing during the holiday season.

Most definitely.

Yay!

tumblr_o7wxk9alWT1s39xfuo1_r1_500.gif

When I face a good Widow, all it does is highlight how bad my Genji is :(

Not at all. Think of it as a challenge to get better with the character during that specific confrontation. Remember, Genji can quickly access high places where Widomakers LOVE to hide, and his melee attack is very effective against her.

They need to keep this a holiday event and not a christmas event. Expect at least 1 hannukah skin, etc as well. Plus there may be skins that are what other countries may wear for Christmas festivities.

You brought up good point. How does Blizzard handle their Winter events from their other games? Is it Christmas exclusive, or do other holidays during the month of December get a mention?

So after playing 3hours of the pc version my biggest take away is how much more easily flashbang + headshot with mccree is to do.
I love it.

Anne

When I face a good widow I just want to quit the game.

Also I got a card for enemies EMP'd but only 1 offensive assist. I don't know if it's sombra sucking or if the community is so goddamn unknowledgeable about the game that they don't know something as simple as "group of enemy emp'd" > "GET THE FUCK IN THERE"

I'll have reins hacked and no one would fucking get in on him for whatever reason.

I've noticed that a lot of the general community are still playing the game more as an FPS than a MOBA. Like, if you play like that why would you just go in when they can still shoot you? CDs right now are extremely undervalued in general.

Skii

Not at all. Think of it as a challenge to get better with the character during that specific confrontation. Remember, Genji can quickly access high places where Widomakers LOVE to hide, and his melee attack is very effective against her.

I know man but whenever I face a good Widow, somehow she manages to best me every time. It's either getting a headshot whilst I'm mid dash (wtf) or somehow completely evading every shuriken I throw at close range. It really is tragic watching me deal with Widow lol. I know Genji is a hard counter and I still get outplayed.

Antiwhippy

I've noticed that a lot of the general community are still playing the game more as an FPS than a MOBA. Like, if you play like that why would you just go in when they can still shoot you? CDs right now are extremely undervalued in general.

At least with mei it's easy. They can see that the rein is backing up against a wall so they generally do go in on him.

It's kinda infuriating watching as I successfully hack a rein but nobody wants to go in when that big blue shield is finally gone.

Which is why I'm not sure if I want to run a sombra comp if I don't have a group. She feels more than any other character someone that relies on strategies that aren't just how well you can deathmatch.

Drek

Been playing a lot of this lately, how do I get added to the community friends list?

Also, do you need a main to do well in competitive? I basically wait until the character timer is in single digits and pick whatever my team is lacking and fits the game type (Lucio or Zenyatta for attacking and KotH healers, Ana or Zen on defense maps for one example). Reached level 44 and just got my Sennheiser 598 Cs headset so going to try competitive soon, wondering if not specializing will get me rolled over or not.

Anne

Been playing a lot of this lately, how do I get added to the community friends list?

Also, do you need a main to do well in competitive? I basically wait until the character timer is in single digits and pick whatever my team is lacking and fits the game type (Lucio or Zenyatta for attacking and KotH healers, Ana or Zen on defense maps for one example). Reached level 44 and just got my Sennheiser 598 Cs headset so going to try competitive soon, wondering if not specializing will get me rolled over or not.

Having a "main" is actually a very bad thing for competitive. You want to have a role you main and a few characters you specialize in, and then you want a few characters you can play outside of that role.

For example, if you play support you should probably be able to switch between all four, but having your Ana or Zen be more heavily practiced than the other two is generally fine. Just make sure whatever you have prepared to an acceptable level for what you're doing.

I play DPS and can play around 5-6 characters atm at Master~ level, then a few more just below that. I also have an Ana for support, and D.Va/Winston/Zarya practice if I need tank. In desperate times I can play Zenyatta, but I'd rather not. Just using myself as an example. If I go into comp I tend to look for the McCree/Soldier/Mei/Tracer/Genji/Reaper/etc slot, but I'll happily take D.Va/Winston/Ana if that role is needed more.

Be flexible, but keep your specialized picks. Just make sure you have a wide enough range for anything. Nothing worse than being that guy who can only play 2-3 heroes max who doesn't get their main or plays into a bad comp, then they either can't switch or switch to something like Lucio that "anybody can play" and just shit the bed.

Edit: Another thing to note is the game changes rapidly, so if a meta shift or big patch hits you tend to be more well prepared. One Trick players can get high ranking, but it's kinda volatile on all fronts so I'd recommend not going for that.

It depends, I don't think it's a good idea but there are a lot of players who placed really high playing only 2/3 characters. I think it's always good to learn most of the cast, since there are so many counters in this game. You really have to adapt to the enemy team, especially if they are good.

My problem is my preferred heroes are all over the map. I don't have a set role I can clearly fill.

I overwhelmingly play Zarya in comp, but I can also do Genji/Zenyatta/Ana, maybe a little Winston, maybe one of the other DPS (but usually less optimally than someone else, and there's almost never a shortage of DPS). I'm good at Junkrat, too, but it's honestly been more than a month or two since I've used him even as a joke. I love Sombra, but it's too soon to know how she will actually fit in the meta or even to risk picking her.

I've tried getting better at Rein to nail down a tank role, but he's not intuitive to me.

Top Bottom