• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

One of the Titans in Titanfall 2 is a flame Titan that esentially shoots a grenade launcher that explodes into flames on the ground. His version of a grenade is essentially a propane tank that he throws onto the fire to spread it out over the floor and burn anything that walks in it for a short amount of time. Working as area denial and complete overwhelming destruction for anyone that gets caught in it.

That'd be a fun Overwatch character type. It's not like a Pyro from TF2 or anything. It's all about maintaining the ground with fire and getting the enemy into the fire.

Coincidentally it's also the most fun Titan.

I think Mei is my favorite character easily. I get such joy out of putting a wall in the face of a Rein who's charging at me, or just freezing people and then plinking them in the head. People can get really mad about it too. Someone the other day threw out a "stupid fat Chinese cunt" when I used my ult and killed him. I had a good laugh and then I reported him for hate speech.

For Rein, when learning him, just go as aggressive as possible and then dial it back. A good Reinhardt needs to be getting kills like the other tanks.

No, no, no. N. O. No!

For Rein you need a few things down as soon as possible to start playing him well.

1. Use his shield right. You have 2000 hp on it, it regenerates faster when it is not broken. Don't let it get broken. Hold it up to protect your team from fire from the most threatening direction. It may not always be forward. For instance, on Hollywood, I played a map earlier today where we were about to take the second point and wiped three of the team. The remaining enemies were a mercy/zenyatta in front of us, and a widow on the buildings behind. Even though I was the only one who knew that, I was able to position myself to save our teammates from the enemy widow with ease. You have to have positioning down for Rein. Not only your own + your teammates, but your enemies.

If you find that no one is standing behind your shield, you were likely not moving forward or moving with your team. Don't let that happen. When your shield is up, unless you are running into a Mei comp, you should keep moving forward if you can help it. Too often on here I see Rein players complaining about no one standing behind their shields. There is often a reason for that. Be it bad positioning, dead teammates, or a flanker on them. You are responsible for all of those. However, while you are one of the biggest sources of peel for your healers, you have to know when to trust your teammates to take care of it so you can hold the front lines.

2. The matchup of Rein v Rein is a game of patience and cd/barrier maintenance. Don't ever charge the enemy rein first unless you are point blank or nothing will prevent you from landing the full pin + wall. This is a rule you should follow 95% of the time. In the current meta, you charge, you die. Soldier, D.Va, and Hog make sure of that. If you don't die from it, your team likely has.

If he decides to charge you, you have two options. The first is to put down barrier and hop to one of the sides. The hop messes with the pin hitbox slightly, and you move fast enough without barrier to dodge it every time. You can also smack him for a free 75 damage on him as he goes past you. Your team should kill him from there. This keeps you up with certainty, but it does potentially open your teammates up to the pin, so keep that in mind. The second is to counter charge. In this situation, you should both die. Now if you are on defense, you may live due to Ana being busted currently. Don't rely on that shit. Assume you will die. You have to have faith in your team to play and win the 5v5 without you if you do this.

Firestriking is pretty simple, just aim and get free damage. HOWEVER, if he has ult this changes drastically. If he has ult, never firestrike. Other than that, you can usually throw them out whenever, just make sure there isn't a widow, hog, or hanzo ready to poke a teammate when you do, and try not to throw it into Zarya bubble or D.Va Matrix.

If there is a Rein on the other team, you have to know when he has ult. I don't care how you do it, but you have to. Rein ult is not instant. You do have time to react, but it is very demanding with the timing due to the current system. You can never let your shield be fully broken when there is another rein. Not only does it recharge slower, leading to their team winning the battle of attrition, but you have a period of at least 5 secs where you can't pull it back up. If it is unbroken, you can pull it up at any point. You need your shield to bait his ult. Put it down when you would otherwise throw firestrike and immediately put it back up. This will catch bad rein ults. You have to be tricky with this, and there is no sure answer, especially as the ranks progress. If he tries to charge or firestrike and his team is with him, ult them all for an easy wipe.

3. Learn how to aim firestrike. This takes practice, and you will never be able to hit everyone with it, but you should get quite a few kills with it in a game because of its ludicrous damage. It also charges your ult very quickly for that reason.

4. Create space by moving into positions and not just staying on point. If your team has to fight on point, you are losing valuable time/positioning. If you cap the first point on King's Row, move to the bend in the streets if you can after the first point cap to deny the enemy team their setup. You have to be doing this constantly in order to control fights the way rein should be.

Hopefully, this helps. It ended up a hell of a lot longer than I intended it to be, but I am an unintentional and reluctant Rein main of 55 hours lol.

komaruR

I figured the main game modes would do that? Idk if it needs something like that. It should happen naturally like these things tend to do. Just saying it's the next big step I expect to see in comp ladder style stuff. The supports got better over time, next logical step is for the tanks to get better too.

You always gonna have a DPS on your team that can't aim though.

Edit: Not saying there aren't good tank players out there btw. There are plenty, it's just more rare than it should be. It's also not just on tanks to manage the map too.

I just thought if its in the regular game map, people gonna complain saying there's not flank route etc.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Look, if 2 characters hate each other, they secretly want to fuck each other.

Didn't the widow x tracer ships teach you anything?

TheExodu5

Banned
Seriously thinking of maining Widow. I have my on games and off games, but I can definitely completely turn the tide when I'm on.

I'm so fucking sick of seeing 4000+ Widowmakers in QP.

Heh, get used to it. QP is when I can freely practice Widow and not feel bad.

I want to see a necromancer hero that can press 'e' on both friendly and enemy corpses and turn them into an automatic running corpse that heads for the closest enemy and deals something like 75 explosive damage.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I used to think that about overwatch, but if they can make a good game in a bad genre like multiplayer FPS, I'm sure they can nail a great genre like fighting games.

Fancolors

In another timeline, Radiant Entertainment was bought by Blizzard instead of Riot and we would be getting an Overwatch fighting game by 2018.

Veelk

Banned
That is factually wrong.

For me, it isn't. I tried. I tried so hard to find FPS MP's that I could actually sink my teeth into. But I never found one, not even TF2. The closest that came was Halo. But honestly, I liked the SP way more and tried to like it's MP more than I actually liked it.

Overwatch is the first and only multiplayer FPS that I like for it's multiplayer. Regardless of how things go from ehre, who Blizzard decides to nerf or buff, what characters they add, Overwatch will forever remain unique to me as the first MP game that I ever loved.

In that sense, every other MP game has fallen short for me.

Veelk

Banned
No joke though, overwatch is the first game in a loooooooooooooooong time that got make back into FPS, not just online ones.

I fucking hated how it's pretty much all modern military stuff.

Agreed. I can't stand 'realistic' shooters. I need some kind of fantasy/sci-fi hook to keep me in. I just view them as inherently inferior. Anything that a modern military shooter can be, a fantastical shooter can be, but it's not the other way around.

I-hate-u

No joke though, overwatch is the first game in a loooooooooooooooong time that got me back into FPS, not just online ones.

I fucking hated how it's pretty much all modern military stuff for a long time.

+1

Their fighter will be 2D most likely. 3D is kinda dead except Tekken.

Apathy

I'm amazed people can't play more than one character well. Go try out mystery hero, and watch people flair around if it isnt their "main"

darklin0

Banned
For me, it isn't. I tried. I tried so hard to find FPS MP's that I could actually sink my teeth into. But I never found one, not even TF2. The closest that came was Halo. But honestly, I liked the SP way more and tried to like it's MP more than I actually liked it.

Overwatch is the first and only multiplayer FPS that I like for it's multiplayer. Regardless of how things go from ehre, who Blizzard decides to nerf or buff, what characters they add, Overwatch will forever remain unique to me as the first MP game that I ever loved.

In that sense, every other MP game has fallen short for me.
That does not mean the Genre was bad, you just did not like what was around. There are tons of multiplayer FPS games which are just as good as Overwatch.
No joke though, overwatch is the first game in a loooooooooooooooong time that got me back into FPS, not just online ones.

I fucking hated how it's pretty much all modern military stuff for a long time.
I agree. Modern Warfare was great, but the ripple effect it had on the genre caused a huge regression.

MG310

Quickplay sure is fun in off season getting steam rolled ):

The competitive rules one has resulted in some serious stompings. Plus people are still quitting..which is odd because it doesn't seem to let you do anything other than wait for the match to finish to join any other games.

EDIT: Of course after saying that I get stuck with a Mei who keeps suiciding or putting ice walls up at our own spawn to block us in.

IceMarker

I think putting hero limits in QP was a weird mistake. At least cap it to 2 of a hero instead of making it into competitive-light. The queue times for No Limits are nuts.

Apathy

Playing mystery some more, i remember why I don't like playing a healer with randoms. I'm healing 2 reins with a reaper chasing me, they just hold up their shields, 2 of them, no one is near them, the reaper is ignoring them. Like seriously, are people just this dumb. Even if you don't play a character you gotta at least know what they can do. How can their first instinct be "not help my teammate"

It's infuriating. So often people just run instead of helping out too

I think putting hero limits in QP was a mistake.

naw, best choice ever, take that stacking to the arcade

Top Bottom