• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

ISOM

I think putting hero limits in QP was a weird mistake. At least cap it to 2 of a hero instead of making it into competitive-light. The queue times for No Limits are nuts.

There's a reason why your queue times are so long, people don't like to play no hero limits. Your annoyance at No hero limit queue times is of much less importance to everyone else who wants a balanced quickplay without people cheesing characters.

Jesus Christ the level in arcade mode is fucking abysmal. I'm racking up wins in QP like there's no tomorrow, and here it takes me 10 games to get a single fucking loot box.

Even with the 3 wins carrot I don't think I'm gonna bother anymore

Acidote

Jesus Christ the level in arcade mode is fucking abysmal. I'm racking up wins in QP like there's no tomorrow, and here it takes me 10 games to get a single fucking loot box.

Even with the 3 wins carrot I don't think I'm gonna bother anymore

Play 1vs1 or 3vs3 if you have someone to play with for easy wins.

Blues1990

There's a reason why your queue times are so long, people don't like to play no hero limits. Your annoyance at No hero limit queue times is of much less importance to everyone else who wants a balanced quickplay without people cheesing characters.
It's a shame, as I love how anything can go in the no limits game mode, especially when the team comps can be down right bonkers.

Never knew a Molton Core Torbjorn (that is Nano Boosted & powered up with Lucio's speed boost) can obliterate anything. Teams of opposing Junkrat's on KOTH is a blast to play.
In general, I love the stupidity these games can offer.

Banzai

Have any of the Overwatch team ever said what the IP's future is like? Will this game live forever as a service with continual updates in content or will there be an Overwatch 2 at some point?
I'd very much prefer the former but I'm assuming it doesn't make enough financial sense.

Blues1990

Have any of the Overwatch team ever said what the IP's future is like? Will this game live forever as a service with continual updates in content or will there be an Overwatch 2 at some point?
I'd very much prefer the former but I'm assuming it doesn't make enough financial sense.
They're making Overwatch their evergreen title that will be supported for years to come, so the game is going to be supported with lots of free content. So far, it's been working well on that front.

Banzai

Would be nice to get a few more years, but I'd imagine eventually people will stop buying lootboxes and the current business model won't work.
In hindsight, I think I would have preferred the League of Legends model, I don't want to buy a new installment every few years. But both ways have their obvious pros and cons.

Braag

lol I give up trying to get a weekly box in arcade mode. 10 games so far and 1 win.
All I've been playing is support, but no amount of healing will save these teams. Somehow I always manage to get into the teams with 2 Genjis and a Sombra defending a control point or something like that.

Eh, I give it until 2018 before we see Overwatch 2.

Not gonna happen.
People are expecting Blizzard to be suddenly pumping out games all the time. I mean everyone was conviced we would get a Diablo 4 announcement this Blizzcon. It's just not gonna happen even though Diablo 3 was released almost 5 years ago.

HMD

lol I give up trying to get a weekly box in arcade mode. 10 games so far and 1 win.
All I've been playing is support, but no amount of healing will save these teams. Somehow I always manage to get into the teams with 2 Genjis and a Sombra defending a control point or something like that.

You need to team up, 3v3 is surprisingly hard for randoms to grasp.

Rocketz

Anyone had it happen where your playing a 3v3 and the whole enemy team all quits throughout a round but you don't get the round win?

It happen to me last night with some friends. 2 were dead and it was only a tracer left and she quit and was replaced in the roster but it was only my team on the map. We had to wait until the game ended in a draw. I don't think this is the way it suppose to work out. Even better it was tied 2-2. We won in the end it was just really weird.

Plesiades

Never say never. Who knows if there's a long term plan to recoup all the loses created by Titan.

That said, I think that OW was a bigger success than expected and now Blizzard will investigate new areas for monetization. If they keep the stakeholders happy, they have carte blanche.

I think the best approach is to take is what HITMAN is doing. Keep the original game as a hub and bolt the new stuff into it.

Fancolors

It's still an FPS, and those get stale a lot faster than whatever Blizzard has.

Eh, TF2, despite losing a lot of players over the years still has a dedicated fanbase who keeps producing fan-content stuff. It still receives official updates.

I would say part of the reason TF2, outside the patches Valve puts in, keeps getting fans engaged is because of how much people care about the characters and general world-building. It's different from CoD and BF in that sense, where usually characters are a lot more expendable and therefore the players have less of an emotional connection.

Overwatch has a lot of potential for that, and maybe even more. It's Blizzard, so I'm not expecting master-level writing, but they clearly put a lot of resources into developing the cast and the world that surrounds them to keep players engaged. Hell, whenever they release a new short character feature people instantly pay attention to the game.

Fancolors

If Overwatch gets SP content I could imagine it following the Hearthstone model of releasing separated adventures, except with a storyline connecting all of them. It could focus on certain groups of characters at a time and maybe reward players who complete it with canon skins to be used in the MP.

I would most likely buy it for the skins.

If Overwatch gets SP content I could imagine it following the Hearthstone model of releasing separated adventures, except with a storyline connecting all of them. It could focus on certain groups of characters at a time and maybe reward players who complete it with canon skins to be used in the MP.

I would most likely buy it for the skins.

It'll be horde mode maps with tiny bits of story hidden throughout. All using different sets of characters. That's probably what Junkenstein's Revenge was a test for.

HMD

Eh, TF2, despite losing a lot of players over the years still has a dedicated fanbase who keeps producing fan-content stuff. It still receives official updates.

I would say part of the reason TF2, outside the patches Valve puts in, keeps getting fans engaged is because of how much people care about the characters and general world-building. It's different from CoD and BF in that sense, where usually characters are a lot more expendable and therefore the players have less of an emotional connection.

Overwatch has a lot of potential for that, and maybe even more. It's Blizzard, so I'm not expecting master-level writing, but they clearly put a lot of resources into developing the cast and the world that surrounds them to keep players engaged. Hell, whenever they release a new short character feature people instantly pay attention to the game.

I guess, but I just can't see this game surviving for so long without major overhauls every now and then. And I'm not talking about a new character or a holiday event.

Not with new content. The game in it's current state is already way too different from the release in May.

I wouldn't say too different, it just had a decent supply of added content.

How long was TF2 out before it went F2P? What about Counterstrike? People will play it as long as it's still fun to them, and a bit beyond that.

Aren't TF2 and Counterstrike community driven games? Mods, custom maps, weapons or whatever?

It'll be horde mode maps with tiny bits of story hidden throughout. All using different sets of characters. That's probably what Junkenstein's Revenge was a test for.

L4D with Overwatch characters.

Paltheos

3v3's not that complicated. The best teams are, in order of most important picks:

1) Roadhog. Must have? Huge healthpool, great self-sustain, can insta-kill allot of the cast or just reel them in for your team to wail on. I might go so far as to say not having a Roadhog is a mistake. He's so strong in this mode I have made 1v3 comebacks with him alone (when the other team sucks, mostly, but that still shouldn't be possible).

2) Ana/Zen. Support. Pick depends on your third slot pick and your aim. Preferably Ana as she's the better pick in most situations but if your team isn't wont to stay together and is filled with squishies who move independently, you may prefer Zen so you can toss the harmony orb around quickly and easily. Ana's so good here though because the sleep dart and especially the grenade are devastating with so few characters in play.

3) Variable pick. Soldier/Dva/Winston are all strong choices but what's best depends on what the enemy team is running (I ran Pharah too once I guess - worked well against the enemy team who happened to be tank-heavy >_> allot of stuff works for the third slot). Soldier's great in general for the healing field and for dealing with Pharah. Dva and Winston help allot against sniper heavy teams. I haven't figured out what works best against Reinhardt/Bastion shenanigans.
If you're the guy making the third pick, and you're just starting the first round, you might want to pick based off the healer on your team. If you've got a Zen, then maybe a DPS. If you've got an Ana, don't be afraid to double tank.

Also, though I say Roadhog is a must pick above, if both my teammates pick dps/snipers/whatever with no self-sustain, I'll pick support first. If they can't kill anything and I don't believe I can rely on them, I might switch to Hog to do it myself and try rushing.

komaruR

hopefully they have horde mode with different heros. that junkenstein revenge really helped me train my hanzo's aim.

for 3v3, tracer is not a bad pick if the other team start going tank heavy. tracer just need to bait out roadhog's hook and it should be easy kill.
funny how reaper is good for regular mode against tank heavy but since there's no distraction for you to close into the enemy, its hard for reaper to get in there when roadhog can kill or nearly kill you with a hook combo.

One thing that 1v1 (and to a degree 3v3 as well) has taught me is that mechanically I'm good with most characters. Guess that comes with nearly 200 hours of play time. I guess it's just team strats and communication that's holding me back in terms of comp rank. And also sometimes the braindeadness of solo queueing.

Still, don't make me play McCree. I will fuck that up 90% of the time.

One thing that 1v1 (and to a degree 3v3 as well) has taught me is that mechanically I'm good with most characters. Guess that comes with nearly 200 hours of play time. I guess it's just team strats and communication that's holding me back in terms of comp rank. And also sometimes the braindeadness of solo queueing.

Still, don't make me play McCree. I will fuck that up 90% of the time.

I've learned that I don't play well without 5 meatshields to distract the enemy team.

Top Bottom