• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Apathy

I wonder if the weekly loot boxes have the same effect as the XP reset did...

I see it more like weekly resets in wow. The day of the reset you can find groups for things faster because people just want to get it over with early. The later in the week you try the more you wait.

I've learned that I don't play well without 5 meatshields to distract the enemy team.

It's really weird, because in actual games I do best as Support/Tank - Zen/Lucio had my best performance in Season 2 of Comp with D.Va/Zarya being the runner-ups. But in 1v1 or 3v3 I can excel at face-offs and usually do really well as the DPS.

I think it's because in the heat of team battle as DPS I don't go for picks and put myself in situations where I can be picked off because of poor team positional awareness. Who knows.

Looking forward to calibrating tonight / tomorrow.

Want to try and grind out a push to Diamond this time.

It'll be nice to play D.Va and S76 a bit more since I've always liked playing them and they're more in the meta as of now.

I want to get better at playing Sombra as well, she's fun to play but I have trouble staying alive as her, just like when I play Tracer.

komaruR

One thing that 1v1 (and to a degree 3v3 as well) has taught me is that mechanically I'm good with most characters. Guess that comes with nearly 200 hours of play time. I guess it's just team strats and communication that's holding me back in terms of comp rank. And also sometimes the braindeadness of solo queueing.

Still, don't make me play McCree. I will fuck that up 90% of the time.

when the new patch for 1v1 and 3v3 on custom comes out, we can finally say 1v1 me to your friends :p

Yep, I've given up on 1v1, I provide motivational support over aiming well.

it's not all about aiming well tho. since there are heros that don't require precise aiming. its all about knowing the winning criteria for that hero's 1v1 match up

It's really weird, because in actual games I do best as Support/Tank - Zen/Lucio had my best performance in Season 2 of Comp with D.Va/Zarya being the runner-ups. But in 1v1 or 3v3 I can excel at face-offs and usually do really well as the DPS.

I think it's because in the heat of team battle as DPS I don't go for picks and put myself in situations where I can be picked off because of poor team positional awareness. Who knows.
well 1v1 as identical tank is kinda weird and could be slow. its base on who's going to mess up and do the wrong thing first most of the time.
like for rein, you don't want to be the first to charge. hog, don't want to be the first to hook. probably dva, don't want the first to dm???

it's not all about aiming well tho. since there are heros that don't require precise aiming. its all about knowing the winning criteria for that hero's 1v1 match up

The characters in this game are really not designed to be played 1v1 against themselves. Pretty much all strategy gets thrown out the window and it's a complete mess.

komaruR

The characters in this game are really not designed to be played 1v1 against themselves. Pretty much all strategy gets thrown out the window and it's a complete mess.

i agree but there is some winning criteria like the one i posted on rein and hog. just need to figure it out.

i agree but there is some winning criteria like the one i posted on rein and hog. just need to figure it out.

Or you just don't charge/hook/DM ever because they're completely worthless in that environment.

It pretty much always just comes down to who had better aim or better luck.

And don't even get me started on Symmetra and Winston.

komaruR

Or you just don't charge/hook/DM ever because they're completely worthless in that environment.

It pretty much always just comes down to who had better aim or better luck.

And don't even get me started on Symmetra and Winston.

for symmetra, its who ever gets the first primary fire to land/stick. winston, land the first jump damage then just tesla away.

DedValve

Banned
Any chance the redesigned Symmetra goes live today?

I hope thats the case for it being down on PS4.

I'm getting relatively decent at Ana which is a feat since I sssssuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkk so much as with Snipers.

Anyone who enjoys the occasional casual chat followed by some strategic elements and likes to play quickplay? I never played competitive because it just always seemed too toxic and stressful and the only stats I care about are my playtime with characters so I keep it fun even when we are losing hardcore.

Would also enjoy hanging out with players who can give good tips and me in return. I'm slowly learning that D.va and Reinhardt are Ana's BFFs.

gamertag is Dedvalve and just send a quick message saying overwatch gaffer or something because I usually just ignore random friend requests.

Mulligan

Banned
Any PS4 EU players wanna group up for season 3?
I have a mic etc. The less I have to rely on randoms the better. My PSN is Yease

For the first time since I started I don't feel an uncontrollable urge to play the game. It's been awhile, and when I did boot it up I just played one game and then stopped.

Hopefully it's just temporary. I'd like to come back for season 3, I think I will be much worse ranking wise though.

For the first time since I started I don't feel an uncontrollable urge to play the game. It's been awhile, and when I did boot it up I just played one game and then stopped.

Hopefully it's just temporary. I'd like to come back for season 3, I think I will be much worse ranking wise though.

So that's why you've ignored my invites.

You've been consumed by anime.

So that's why you've ignored my invites.

You've been consumed by anime.
I was actually planning to accept your invite last night after finishing my netflix episode, but then my friend wanted to get drunk for his birthday.

If only. I do want to watch more Ghibli movies but I have to wait for them to arrive.

I was actually planning to accept your invite last night after finishing my netflix episode, but then my friend wanted to get drunk for his birthday.

If only. I do want to watch more Ghibli movies but I have to wait for them to arrive.

Meanwhile, my friend decided to get drunk, so I just watched a bunch of anime on Netflix.

True story.

well 1v1 as identical tank is kinda weird and could be slow. its base on who's going to mess up and do the wrong thing first most of the time.
like for rein, you don't want to be the first to charge. hog, don't want to be the first to hook. probably dva, don't want the first to dm???

True. But Rein in 1v1 is all about mind games, just like Rein v Rein in a regular match. D.Va is a weird case - the one D.Va match I played I won by getting knocked out of my mech first, building up charge by taking on the other D.Va's mech, then being able to get back in my mech and obliterate my opponent before they could call theirs back. I don't know if that would work every time, but it worked for me!

Any chance the redesigned Symmetra goes live today?

I feel like there's a lot more QOL things that need to be added before Symmetra changes go live - things like voice lines, animations, etc. that don't normally come with other balance changes. I wouldn't expect her to go live for at least another week or two.

The Xmas patch is probably going to be December 6th to be as close to 3 weeks before Xmas as possible, right? I know Mei needs a new skin and I have a feel that it's going to be a good Xmas for her.

KiraFA37

Two and halve weeks ago I went on a much needed holiday, didn't play any Overwatch at all during that time. I'm back now and so much has changed:
- Sombra released
- Genji nexus challenge
- Season 2 competive ended
- Symmetra redesign on PTR
- 100 new pages in this thread

My world has changed. On that note are there still people out there needing to do the Nexus challenge? I still need to get started on it, but not before I satisfy my Overwatch thirst first.

matmanx1

Two and halve weeks ago I went on a much needed holiday, didn't play any Overwatch at all during that time. I'm back now and so much has changed:
- Sombra released
- Genji nexus challenge

My world has changed. On that note are there still people out there needing to do the Nexus challenge? I still need to get started on it, but not before I satisfy my Overwatch thirst first.

I've actually started playing more Heroes of the Storm because I enjoyed the Nexus challenge so much with a buddy of mine. Anytime I am online and in HotS feel free to msg me and I will play some vs AI matches with you to get you your Genji stuff. Matmanx1#1920

KiraFA37

I still need to do it. MarioHead3#1498 if you want to add me.

I've actually started playing more Heroes of the Storm because I enjoyed the Nexus challenge so much with a buddy of mine. Anytime I am online and in HotS feel free to msg me and I will play some vs AI matches with you to get you your Genji stuff. Matmanx1#1920

Thanks added you both, you guys NA or EU (MarioHead is NA I think).

I'm currently having issues logging in, I can't login to Overwatch or HotS, login button stays grayed out when I fill in my account name and password. I hope Blizzard quickly fixes this.

Drek

- Sombra released
- Genji nexus challenge

I've been thinking about doing the Nexus Challenge. I have played literally zero Heroes of the Storm (or any other MOBA) but that sweet Oni skin is calling to me.

matmanx1

I took a week or so off of Overwatch right before the end of Season 2 and did the Nexus Challenge with a friend of mine for Heroes of the Storm. I've found HotS to be a pretty good palette cleanser (so to speak) for Overwatch in that it has similarities but is a little bit slower paced and less reliant on twitch skills for most heroes.

The last couple of nights I've tried to do an hour or so of Quick Play in Overwatch to tune up for the beginning of Season 3 and can I just say how much I am enjoying the new 1 Hero Limit in QP? (THANK YOU BLIZZARD!) Life is so much better with a 1 Hero Limit!

Season 2 was worse than Season 1 for me in terms of losing streaks and seeming mis-matches and I don't know if that was Blizzard's bad placement algorithm or other circumstances but here's hoping Season 3 is a little bit more even experience. I expect I will still be rocking mostly Tank and Support (Rein/Zarya/Winston or Zen/Lucio/Ana/Mercy) but will try to be flexible as needed.

In fact, the big takeaway from Season 2 for me was to be willing to switch heroes quickly when something isn't working. So far in Quick Play that strategy seems to be serving me well.

Top Bottom