• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Matches I tend to lose in ranked now are those awful attack/defend maps like Hanamura/Volskaya Industries. There's no strategy or unique play-style beyond grouping up and throwing your lives away in the hopes that one of your teammates can cap/hold the point since the distances between points are obscenely long.

Meanwhile King of the Hill maps are a blast to play because it gets so crazy and desperate and you can always feel useful no matter the character.

Gurrry

Was going 5-0 until my last match where we get a toxic Hanzo who starts off the game saying "so what rank did you fuckers end up with last season???", then when he starts dying he starts blaming everyone else.

I really hope Blizzard takes reports in season 3 seriously. Lets get rid of these toxic scum bags.

Sullichin

Won first placement match.. a little scared to continue
I was doing well but I gotta get better at getting the fuck out of Roadhog's hook range. I hate it so much

Did two solo queue and just approached it from the place where I'd wait and try to fill in for my team's weakness in picks while trying to counter pick the opposing team and playing to my own strengths.

Win the first match and on the second the opposing team had someone drop and my team still had a hellish time stopping them from capping the second point in Hanamura. Managed to flank them with Pharah and generally annoy them so it ended in a draw. Too close haha.

I enjoy waiting a few weeks to let the first wave cancel each other out. Not like I have hopes of hitting top 500 anyway.

I wish I was cursed to be the best player on my team all the time like most folks here are, haha.

Gurrry

Lol. Just got into a game with a group of 2 that played Hanzo and Widow and refused to change. Then went Torb and Bastion.

When we call confronted them, they said they are trolling and losing on purpose to get a lower SR. We some how got it to 2-2 and they threw the game in the last round.

These people are cancerous

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Moon went 4-6 and got 4004, GM score. Damn.

Also every match I saw seemed kinda awful. This meta looks so dumb.

You know those matches where nobody's talking but everyone is completely in-sync with each other 100% of the time? Like that shit with Meryl's group in MGS4?

Damn good matches.

8-2 with a gaf team

Placed at ~3070.

Last season my peak was around 3250 and I finished at ~2950.

But this system is completely fucked up because one of our team members got placed in silver with the same games as us, even if he was a gold player in the last one.

I think the end rank is what matters the most :\

Noricart

Last season I started in high gold, made it to 2718, played with a friend and then plummeted to bottom gold. Feels bad. Placed in gold 2115 this season. Hope I can climb up solo lol

Papercuts

holy crap... were they carrying tf most of the game, or is personal performance no longer taken into account?

i've seen y'all mention them numerous times, but I've literally never sat down and watched them play. >__<

It really seems to take past ranks into account more than ever. I'm looking at iddqd and he went 2-2-6 and still got 4421.

I went 6-4 last season and ended up just under plat with no S1 experience, off to a 0-1 start so far.

edit: someone tell this dude sym hasn't been buffed yet in comp

Gurrry

Finished 7-2-1, one of those losses with a pair of guys who intentionally threw the game.

Whats even more hilarious is that I ended up exactly where i left off last season. Platinum, SR 2503.

MrPanic

Nice, just finished my placement matches. Went 8-2 surprisingly, a lot better than these placement matches tend to go for me. Got a rank of 2627, which basically lets me continue from last season where I ended on 2603. Hopefully I can reach diamond this season.

edit: Ah, so everyone is placing near their old rank huh. Welp, that's slightly disappointing, oh well.

So, will the placement matches take into account that the only reason I finished below 3000 SR is because of rank decay? I was around 3200 before I just kinda stopped playing competitive.

Owzers

Batman dweller missed out on our 8-2 Gaf run, though as mentioned, that didn't help my friend at all when it came time for the end placement. I snuck into diamond, s2 high was 3100s, ended at 2800s I think, and am 3050ish. I'm going to have to drop 200 points so I can play with my friend again, you might want to avoid me tomorrow.

Papercuts

So, will the placement matches take into account that the only reason I finished below 3000 SR is because of rank decay? I was around 3200 before I just kinda stopped playing competitive.

I'm wondering the same since I did that too. Got 3220, didn't play comp and ended 3000.

when you're not in high gold/low plat anymore and can actually get multi-kills with self-destruct again

J82x7nH.jpg

also it's a damn shame they haven't added the group up function yet, thought that was coming with comp s3 but I guess not

edit: someone tell this dude sym hasn't been buffed yet in comp

lol that's bad.

We actually got really lucky with our randoms, except for one soldier that sucked and made us go 5vs6 during basically the whole game since he was always getting picked first going by himself (he was only level ~35 though, so it's ok).

We saw a couple of Torbs on the opposite side though :)

Doubt it.

Batman dweller missed out on our 8-2 Gaf run, though as mentioned, that didn't help my friend at all when it came time for the end placement. I snuck into diamond, s2 high was 3100s, ended at 2800s I think, and am 3050ish. I'm going to have to drop 200 points so I can play with my friend again, you might want to avoid me tomorrow.

I'll drop with you. You play Torb and I go Sym.

Kito

7 losses, 3 wins, 2300. Already ranked up to 2400, and I expect to be in Plat where I should be very soon.

The main source of my losses were groups with sub-gold tiers. My worst game had a Season 2 bronze (1200) Mercy who was never alive for more than two seconds.

Whenever it was pure solo queue - i.e. the ones i won - I steamrolled with 3 golds, and even got POTG with Sombra once.

caesar

Banned
8-2 with a gaf team

Placed at ~3070.

Last season my peak was around 3250 and I finished at ~2950.

But this system is completely fucked up because one of our team members got placed in silver with the same games as us, even if he was a gold player in the last one.

I think the end rank is what matters the most :

Yes, a gold player cannot play at that level so im not sure what you want from the algorithm.

Solo q should honestly be the most accurate.

Papercuts

First placement game and someone did the quit/rejoin thing to kill the match lol. I hope they fixed it so that atleast penalizes them now.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
So are they basically just eff it and placing people where they left off last season? Wish I would have just not played those last few days and retained Platinum.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So are they basically just eff it and placing people where they left off last season? Wish I would have just not played those last few days and retained Platinum.

I mean did you honestly expect to massively improve in 1 week without any strictly enforced competitive mode?

lost my 1st placement (tried to heal after not playing for a week), won the next 3 in blowouts (all of which I played D.Va)

6 to go

hoping I end at plat

Top Bottom