• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Apathy

if you get the chance to play sombra, HACK MEDKITS.

That's like priority 1.

The denial to the other team and the increase respawn and health for your team is so good and so under utilized and you can have more than 1 hacked at a time

Shouta

By far the most impressive aspect of Sombra to me is hacked med kits. They're so good and controlling them as her will likely mean a lot on defense going forward if folks realize it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
How does it draw? How is it impossible to kill someone else? I'm confused.
A countdown timer starts after a certain while and if you're playing one of those wiley characters you can flee for the duration of that round at which point you'll get a draw and you can pretty much do this each round until your team wins.

Skii

That's like priority 1.

The denial to the other team and the increase respawn and health for your team is so good and so under utilized and you can have more than 1 hacked at a time

It feels broken at the moment imo. The opposing Sombra should be allowed to hack medkits that have been hacked.

I'm like Tom Petty tonight because I'm freeeeee fallin'.

Leavers everywhere, shitty two man groups who try to tell other people what to play but refuse to play their suggestions themselves. Got invited to play in a group and nobody used their mics, a five-person team with no mics vs a six-person team that was clearly coordinating. Lost 150 SR tonight, all the way back to my placement SR.

Fucking hell. Think I'm done with comp until season 3 now. Got a season high that was in Platinum, so hopefully that is taken into account when I place next season.

So the death of Overwatch as we know it was greatly exaggerated?

I'm well aware how silly it looks for me of all people to make a knee jerk reaction after a few hours on the PTR especially when I have personally played her for exactly zero seconds. But fuck it.

-Definitely not the same as Blizzcon Sombra. Gun seems weaker and less accurate, don't have stats of course, but if this is what we had been seeing on streams I don't think anyone would be comparing damage output to Tracer.

-Left click hack seems to be just a few seconds, not 6 like we thought before, also can't jump back to teleporter while hacked (you could definitely do this at Blizzcon).

But the other thing is just that it doesn't all flow as well as I thought. You can't just line up a shot and pump lead into someone from invisibility there is a very noticeable 'you are now coming out of invisibility' moment. You also can't be sprinting, toss the locator and just hop to that spot and keep sprinting. Stopping your momentum completely will just feel awkward and makes her much less mobile. Ult radius is smaller than it looked. And it doesn't seem like a particularly tough hit box from what I can tell, as opposed to someone like Ana or Tracer.

I still definitely think she has a "oh shit Ana has fucking amazing healing capabilities" moment in her future, just so many possibilities.

But 'better flanker than Tracer' seems absurd from what I've seen. Also "Will absolutely break the game, in this state" definitely seems silly. I mean I guess this technically ISN'T the same Sombra from this weekend, but that seems like a lame copout at this point. I think I should just take the L in it's entirety.

She is a great Ana counter though because Ana will have a very tough time hitting her before the hack, and Ana really needs her kit to be effective, I wonder how that can shake up the pro scene.

Prelude.

I didn't play a lot but so far:

- Her gun is kinda trash, it could use a slight buff.
- Hacking health packs might be too broken. It lasts way too long, can be refreshed, and it can be done on multiple packs so, yeah, that's a bit much. I kept hacked all the health packs near King's Row point A for pretty much the entirety of the match. Health packs have a specific (and fundamental) role and it's just too easy for her to negate them entirely.

So the death of Overwatch as we know it was greatly exaggerated?

Very much so. She's great, but not the OP mess people were crying about. The health pack thing is surprisingly strong though, didn't realize how much of an impact it has until I noticed I couldn't heal as an Attacker and would end up stuck often.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well, at that time sombra ult knocked my shield down and a mei froze me =(

CwcSzCZWIAAVQ4P.jpg

Nimby

Banned
I still think her ult is a slightly shittier version of meii's blizzard.

It doesn't hold the same use at all though. Blizzard doesn't prevent Lucio ult or Zen ult either, unless it's changed from Blizzcon, EMP removes Sound Barrier and if used before Zen can ult you can pretty easily secure a team wipe since it locks ultimate abilities too.

One question I do have is if Zarya barriers block the hack effect or if it goes right through them?

Antiwhippy

It doesn't hold the same use at all though. Blizzard doesn't prevent Lucio ult or Zen ult either, unless it's changed from Blizzcon, EMP removes Sound Barrier and if used before Zen can ult you can pretty easily secure a team wipe since it locks ultimate abilities too.

One question I do have is if Zarya barriers block the hack effect or if it goes right through them?

Lucio ult doesn't matter at all once you're caught in a blizzard, because you're Frozen long enough for people to work through that barrier. Good point about zen ult, but ana just had to throw down a grenade and it's gg. My point is that an outright stun seems way better than a silence. The only upside isee to emp vs blizzard is that you can't really escape emp vs a blizzard.

Apathy

EMP does not stop a genji who has ulted

also, ult + anagrenade = you're done team. to any organized team it's devastating. Easily see an ana/sombra combo coming up

EMP's utility seems to really be about shattering hardened defense chokes. A single choke loaded with turrets, a rein shield, a waiting mei, and a few other chars can't do anything once an EMP drops. Turrets are disabled, the mei can't icewall or blizzard, rein shield is down and can't earthshatter. Zayra bubbles down and can't graviton.

Sombra might be a must for attack on some maps just to break the choke.

Nimby

Banned
Lucio ult doesn't matter at all once you're caught in a blizzard, because you're Frozen long enough for people to work through that barrier. Good point about zen ult, but ana just had to throw down a grenade and it's gg. My point is that an outright stun seems way better than a silence. The only upside isee to emp vs blizzard is that you can't really escape emp vs a blizzard.

Sound Barrier would still make it a tougher fight vs Blizzard no? And the fact you can't escape the EMP is what makes it seem like it's too good. As long as the enemies are huddled together, Sombra stealth plus other support like a harmony orb or Zarya shield gives her the opportunity to cast it without interference.

Also I find it to be kinda like a superior Sound Barrier/Transcendence in some ways. Instead of increasing survivability against an ult barrage in a Graviton Surge, you could use Sombra and negate most of the damage. The only issue here is LoS.

Antiwhippy

Very much so. She's great, but not the OP mess people were crying about. The health pack thing is surprisingly strong though, didn't realize how much of an impact it has until I noticed I couldn't heal as an Attacker and would end up stuck often.

Yeah I've always felt that this was one of her strongest perk.

xaosslug

That's like priority 1.

remember when we would dream about Sombra's abilities, and peeps would say this is useless? xD

as someone that religiously uses health packs I knew this would be huge.

Anybody in the PTR whos played Sombra, how effictive is she at stopping nanoboosted reins?

Also is she a counter to Zenyatta's ult?
Her hack stops people from using abilities; it doesn't cancel abilities that are already active.

Bear in mind nanoboosted reins are less of an issue already without the nano speedboost.

Squire

Banned
It feels broken at the moment imo. The opposing Sombra should be allowed to hack medkits that have been hacked.

It's already kind of boring that the highest level games are almost team-sized mirror matches. They really don't need to engage "Sombra v Sombra" as a genuine counter.

Antiwhippy

Sound Barrier would still make it a tougher fight vs Blizzard no? And the fact you can't escape the EMP is what makes it seem like it's too good. As long as the enemies are huddled together, Sombra stealth plus other support like a harmony orb or Zarya shield gives her the opportunity to cast it without interference.

Also I find it to be kinda like a superior Sound Barrier/Transcendence in some ways. Instead of increasing survivability against an ult barrage in a Graviton Surge, you could use Sombra and negate most of the damage. The only issue here is LoS.

Unless your team are being idiots and aren't following up on your blizzard, expecting you to do all the work. Whole team working together can burn through those barriers easily.

LoS i feel could be an issue. One of the problems i feel like emp has is that it originates from her. You need to be in a good positioning to try to catch them all and the delay between uncloaking and teleporting might actually be too much of a tell for people to try and mitigate it. I feel like in time it might not be as op as people think it is.

Ramirez

This game is such a frustrating experience 99% of the time, there's just no way to explain some of these matchups you get in MM on PS4.

Has Blizzard said anything about the group shit against 6 randoms for next season?

Tovarisc

Unless your team are being idiots and aren't following up on your blizzard, expecting you to do all the work. Whole team working together can burn through those barriers easily.

LoS i feel could be an issue. One of the problems i feel like emp has is that it originates from her. You need to be in a good positioning to try to catch them all and the delay between uncloaking and teleporting might actually be too much of a tell for people to try and mitigate it. I feel like I'm time it might not be as op as people think it is.

Kinda amazing that electric pulse requires LOS, but dinky android spraying freezing mist sprays through walls and ceilings.

xaosslug

This game is such a frustrating experience 99% of the time, there's just no way to explain some of these matchups you get in MM on PS4.

Has Blizzard said anything about the group shit against 6 randoms for next season?

supposedly, teams vs. randoms (of any group size) is a bug that they plan to fix for S3, but I wouldn't hold my breath, tbh! LOL

Apathy

remember when we would dream about Sombra's abilities, and peeps would say this is useless? xD

as someone that religiously uses health packs I knew this would be huge.

Oh i'm right there with you. I know all the med kit locations and can keep track of timers if I have used one. One to keep myself healed up and two to help out the healers. Being able to speed up that timer and stop the enemies was always going to be a huge deal. Take Gibraltar start. If you hack the big med kit inside the room, the only ones is a small one out by the cliff or having to go back into the base. if that is kept hacked it's such a great way mess with opponents who think they will be getting away for that heal.

It just frustrates me seeing med kits not be hacked, even simple ones to get to.

That is going to be what separates a good sombra from a bad one, being able to keep a running timer in their head for all their hacks since they can have more than one going at a time.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
this is actually kind of amazing... holy crap, what?! 0_0

but how come if I crouch behind the payload I still get frozen?
Maybe because of the opening underneath the payload? Sometimes I crouch behind the payload with certain characters and shoot at my foes through the opening below it.

Apathy

this is actually kind of amazing... holy crap, what?! 0_0

but how come if I crouch behind the payload I still get frozen?

The payload is weird, it blocks dva's ult but not reins

edit: actually it might be because d'va's originates not from the ground but the middle of the mech which the payload blocks but rein and mei's ult originate from the ground and the payload floats.

So I don't play tanks. I don't, unless I really have to. Anything else is game though. Except Mei. These are my only exceptions.

So the mystery 1v1 has decided I'm going to play only Tanks and Mei. Every single game I played today of it (7), I had at least 3 tanks and Mei. It was pretty fun up until the 5th game where I started noticing the trend of Mei in every game.

saw her other skins... only ones I like are the default and epics. I'd like augmented and cyberspace a lot more if they had her normal hair

Top Bottom