• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Pooya

From what I'm reading placements are just effectively placebo now, considering what a shitshow they usually are, it makes sense. You just end up where you ended last week more or less, don't stress it too much and just play them to get it out of the way, you gotta climb.

From what I'm reading placements are just effectively placebo now, considering what a shitshow they usually are, it makes sense. You just end up where you ended last week more or less, don't stress it too much and just play them to get it out of the way, you gotta climb.

Seems like it's mostly for the people that haven't played comp yet, and also kinda just something to break up the seasons.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think it's just a little test of "are you an entirely different person from last season or just mostly the same?"

I placed a little lower than I would have liked due to some unlucky games, but was easily able to climb back up to where I left off last season (~3600).

Anne

Apparently Taimou was streaming himself while primarily practicing Genji. He says he's going to be playing projectile DPS as well as other flex roles from now on. Mickie staying with Envy into Vegas too.

I'm/ not a huge fan of Taimou's personality but I think he's being really smart here.

Ok, being a noob had some help from ISOM and WyndStriker (dont know if those are their GAF names) and managed to get 6 wins, 3 losses and 1 draw if I remember correctly.

Got 2427.

You need 3000 for a golden gun right? Dont know if I can reach that high.

Fancolors

Ok, being a noob had some help from ISOM and WyndStriker (dont know if those are their GAF names) and managed to get 6 wins, 3 losses and 1 draw if I remember correctly.

Got 2427.

You need 3000 for a golden gun right? Dont know if I can reach that high.

What you got is SR.

The 3000 needed for the gun is CP, you get 10 for every win in ranked plus a certain amount in the end of the season, it varies according to your tier.

Antiwhippy

I was somehow outhealing mercy as zen even before I popped any trancendance (and I didn't pop it for awhile because the other team was baaaaaaaaad).

Lmao.

I feel like I see the sane confusion in any game with a ranking system.

Getting the same rank as you ended season 2 after your Season 3 placements makes perfect sense no? Your not going to be anywhat better at the game after the off season week?

I think people just struggle to accept in most cases they aren't as good at games as they like to think. And when their ranks don't reflect their own self inflated sense of skill they complain and whine.

This isn't directed at anyone here, just something I've noticed since the Halo 2 days of ranking systems and all the others over the years.

I feel like I see the sane confusion in any game with a ranking system.

Getting the same rank as you ended season 2 after your Season 3 placements makes perfect sense no? Your not going to be anywhat better at the game after the off season week?

I think people just struggle to accept in most cases they aren't as good at games as they like to think. And when their ranks don't reflect their own self inflated sense of skill they complain and whine.

This isn't directed at anyone here, just something I've noticed since the Halo 2 days of ranking systems and all the others over the years.

It has more to do with the fact that the game shows your winrate across your placement matches as though it means something when it really doesn't. Moonmoon won like 2 matches and placed immediately in grandmaster, while some people won nearly all of them and placed in gold or silver.

But I think some people may be under the impression that it's supposed to a complete reset or something. It's really just more of a formality than anything else.

It has more to do with the fact that the game shows your winrate across your placement matches as though it means something when it really doesn't. Moonmoon won like 2 matches and placed immediately in grandmaster, while some people won nearly all of them and placed in gold or silver.

But I think some people may be under the impression that it's supposed to a complete reset or something. It's really just more of a formality than anything else.
You are right though. I'd assume the win rate bring front and center is because it's an easy statistic to understand.

But there's so many variables beyond how many games you win. It all depends entirely on the skills of your teammates and your opponents on each and every game.

Those two games he won could've been against a really high ranked team and the skills of the teammates could have been much lower, thus making those wins "more valuable" than a closely matched pair of teams.

Drek

I see the complaints with competitive being "toxic" now.

Did the 10 qualifying rounds last night and pulled worse teams than I've gotten in almost any quick play. Not as far as individual skill levels but in terms of people just freelancing and not playing to the objective. Not what I expected at all.

Then this morning I played a competitive king of the hill game and one dude wouldn't shut up about how we needed more DPS and the person playing Sombra should change off of Sombra to give us more DPS. He was playing Mei.

Other than bitching about other people's picks absolutely zero dialogue too. Other than the occasional "killed you like a n*".

Goddamn humanity, why you gotta be like this?

Skii

Anyone want to do competitive now? My b.net is: Skii#2784 and it's EU servers.

As long as you can play whatever the game needs and you're around platinum, I think we should do well. But apparently placements mean nothing this time? lol.

Paltheos

Dunno what you guys are talking about. Like last season, I placed fairly lower than my final ranking (which is around where I usually played). In season 2 I was placed at ~2250, peaked short of ~2800, and finished at ~2550. This season I was placed at ~2350 and am anticipating climbing higher. I think the ranking is still busted and punishes healers. Ah well.

I played a couple, crazy games with Zarya. My first one (Lijang) was nuts. I got 50 elims, 22k damage, and had 45% average energy through the game... and we lost. Felt bad. Not long after I got another KotH on Nepal and my team managed to come back from an 0-2 deficit. I got 63 elims that game, competing with the Dva on our team who squirelled the gold away at 64.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
These placements are a sham. Your win loss doesn't mean shit, its primarily based off of what you placed last season. Just met someone who placed 3700 and only won 1 of their placement matches. Welp...sucks for all those who tanked their SR on purpose at the end of the season lol.

I went 7-3 playing as Reinhardt against almost all Platinum and some Diamond players. It places me in LOW Platinum, with an even lower SR than last season. Can't really explain that one.

Anne

Are the reports of a ton of plat players losing significant SR in placements this season true?

Good thing if so.

Antiwhippy

Are the reports of a ton of plat players losing significant SR in placements this season true?

Good thing if so.

Yep, 6-4 but barely made it past gold. :(

Probably where I'm truly am if I'm being honest, though I wonder if playing some really shitty games as soldier brought me down. Like, don't force me to DPS if it's not mei lmao.

I felt like I played some truly good ana games though.

Everyone is placing generally a tier below where they were last season. I believe they said it's because they don't want people placing higher than they should be, and if they keep playing, they should rise to their actual level after some time.

Cappa

Banned

Good thing if so.
I don't think so. I think it's more gold players at least from what I've seen heard that are starting much lower than last season.

I think for plat and above everyone's sr has remained the same.
Everyone is placing generally a tier below where they were last season. I believe they said it's because they don't want people placing higher than they should be, and if they keep playing, they should rise to their actual level after some time.
Out of our 5 stack yesterday 4 of us placed near or above their ending sr from last season. The four of us were plat/diamond. The gold in our team got placed in silver.

Antiwhippy

Still, low gold I may be, my ana stats pretty much doubled this season (small sample size, but you know), so I'm happy that I at least showed some improvements.

LAM09

That's ridiculous. Totally not jealous.
Carry me to top 500 this season pretty please with a cherry on top.

Btw, heads up PS4 players, trolls are on the loose. Torbs, Widows, and Hanzos everywhere. May God be with you.

I guess I'll be waiting a bit longer, then.

Fancolors

I don't think so. I think it's more gold players at least from what I've seen heard that are starting much lower than last season.

I think for plat and above everyone's sr has remained the same.

Out of our 5 stack yesterday 4 of us placed near or above their ending sr from last season. The four of us were plat/diamond. The gold in our team got placed in silver.

It might be because the majority of the last season players are gold/plat, so the most radical SR changes are happening to this group.

Skyzard

Banned
Seems like you get a lot of points for winning games after placements, I remember they were saying there was a boost for the first 20 or so games after placements end.

Drek

Anyone know how supports are doing in placements? I've been seeing people saying they're getting screwed again
I played primarily support and tank, did not play any competitive last season, went 4-6 and got a 1822 rank. I could definitely have played better, hurt myself trying to play the meta and taking Ana when I'm much better with Zen, didn't anticipate the immediate bump in competitive players ability to not shoot Zarya's bubble, etc.. However, I also basically carried my teams to three of the four wins with a Rein damage block card of one 16,000 on a defense map, a Zenyatta 49% kill involvement with four medals, two golds, and a D.Va round with a 16 kill streak, 32 total kills (gold medal there and damage, silver on objective kills) and won play of the game with her. The other win I had a solid Roadhog with 11:6 k:d, gold medal on healing somehow, and gold on objective time.

Lot of Torb in my games. 4-5 of the 6 losses if I recall had him. Once had an attack map with him, Hanzo, Junkrat, and Sombra all on my team.

iosa

So I was playing Reinhardt yesterday on Mysteries Heroes and I charged out of spawn to get back to the battle.
What a surprise when I saw that I killed a Sombra with that charge :)

On an unrelated note I'll be building my first gaming PC this weekend (my laptop just died) so I'll probably make the jump from PS4 :)

Drek

So I was playing Reinhardt yesterday on Mysteries Heroes and I charged out of spawn to get back to the battle.
What a surprise when I saw that I killed a Sombra with that charge :)

On an unrelated note I'll be building my first gaming PC this weekend (my laptop just died) so I'll probably make the jump from PS4 :)

Funny, I did the same thing in a competitive round last night when trying to boost back to the control center during overtime.

The "meta" is like character tier rankings in fighting games.

Unless your attending tournaments and playing professionally it generally doesn't apply to you. The only time these things matter is when the best of the best are playing.

I main Pharah and have fun. Fuck the meta
Not really, it exists for a reason. Obviously it's not the only important thing but it is a factor. We had a Junkrat last night who kept feeding Zarya charge and he refused to switch off even though every time I encountered Zarya she had 100 charge.

Overwatch is a game with distinct, unique heroes and hard counters so obviously a meta is going to be prevalent across all skill levels.

I switched over from ps4.
Im level 344 on that account with 80+ hours on Genji

Not sure what any of that has to do with what avatar i have lol
Not to mention i had this after for a while after the Dragons short came out
Oh no I wasn't giving you shit for it, I was just confused why someone with so little hours in the game would like it enough to make an icon out of one of the characters ya know. Switching over makes sense tho

Prelude.

So even though I spent most of the season near diamond I'm gonna get the rank that the last two days of season 2 gave me after countless cancer games with people throwing. GG, Blizzard, makes complete sense. I can't wait to climb from almost gold again. So pumped for my placement games.

Top Bottom