• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

caesar

Banned
So even though I spent most of the season near diamond I'm gonna get the rank that the last two days of season 2 gave me after countless cancer games with people throwing. GG, Blizzard, makes complete sense. I can't wait to climb from almost gold again. So pumped for my placement games.

Went 2-8 in placements and got 2600 feels good man.

Luckily I carried myself to Diamond already, I think the game knew I should be higher because it was giving me 50 for a win and only -15 for a loss.

Skii

So I'm 1-4. Fuck my life. I've played Rein for 4 of them because everyone refused to go tank/healer and then the final game on KOTH I went Reaper because I know I can carry. I wish all of the placements were KOTH :/

Sullichin

Well it basically just looked at my lowest ranking last season and gave that to me after my placement matches. 6w-2d-2l and I'm at fucking... 1400. My highest last season was 2,200 something but went way down near the end. Pretty bummed out because I did well in placements, wish it was more of a fresh start. Went Zen/Lucio for all of it. Feels like no matter how well I did there's no escaping the low rank because of where I ended last season. I shouldn't have even played the game the last couple weeks of the season I guess. Fuck this.

Prelude.

Went 2-8 in placements and got 2600 feels good man.

Luckily I carried myself to Diamond already, I think the game knew I should be higher because it was giving me 50 for a win and only -15 for a loss.
So you got a significantly lower rank than your final S2 rank, that's interesting.

Well it basically just looked at my lowest ranking last season and gave that to me after my placement matches. 6w-2d-2l and I'm at fucking... 1400. My highest last season was 2,200 something but went way down near the end. Pretty bummed out because I did well in placements, wish it was more of a fresh start. Went Zen/Lucio for all of it. Feels like no matter how well I did there's no escaping the low rank because of where I ended last season. I shouldn't have even played the game the last couple weeks of the season I guess. Fuck this.

The game probably still punishes you for playing support :/

matmanx1

Just popping in to see how everyone's placement matches went. I intended to do some last night but then ended up with a migraine headache and went to bed early. =/

I started out last season around 2200, fell to 1800 and then ended up around 2000 at the end of S2. If I start out around 2000 again I won't be upset. I still have a long way to go to "get gud".

NeoRaider

Playing Ana more and more (since no one wants to heal really). And i love her.
Was doing around 4-5k with her on QP, now i can go to 13-14k. She is so much fun, other healers can only wish!

Prelude.

Yeah, maybe thats why they are giving me 50 pts per win.
From the first game? If you're on a streak it gives you more points, that's how I got from 2900 to 2600 in just a few matches, it went from 20ish points to 50.

I've never looked at the graph, lul.
29bfddddd4yisg6.jpg

Anne

Nah, the game has an MMR number it thinks you should be at and will try to get you around there. So like if you're around 2500~ and it thinks you should be 3k+ you'll be getting like 30-50 a win and lose like 15-20 a loss. Streaks just get you a little bit more towards that number in either direction, or raise you up a bit more.

Streaks aren't as influential as hidden MMR tbh. Once you stabilize at a certain MMR it becomes harder to go up or down, so the numbers tend to looker closer to the same going both ways.

Idk the factors that go into that MMR number, we just know it exists. SR is kinda weird in how it interacts with it, Idk why it can vary so highly in where you placed and where it starts to pull you.

Prelude.

Nah, the game has an MMR number it thinks you should be at and will try to get you around there. So like if you're around 2500~ and it thinks you should be 3k+ you'll be getting like 30-50 a win and lose like 15-20 a loss. Streaks just get you a little bit more towards that number in either direction, or raise you up a bit more.

Streaks aren't as influential as hidden MMR tbh. Once you stabilize at a certain MMR it becomes harder to go up or down, so the numbers tend to looker closer to the same going both ways.

Idk the factors that go into that MMR number, we just know it exists. SR is kinda weird in how it interacts with it, Idk why it can vary so highly in where you placed and where it starts to pull you.
Well, if I'm having the kind of cancer games I had during the last few days I sure as hell am not playing like I should since I could barely do anything, so I can see the mmr thinking I should be lower. But I've experienced that on both sides, with people that were gaining/losing the exact same amount as I was at the same rate.

All my GAF bros look like they did their placements last night so I guess I'll do my placements with my other friend who only does placement matches in comp to get the bonuses.

Sullichin

It blows, I had games with 50+ assists, gold healing, gold objective time. I'm much better at the game than when I did my placements last season, played better, and got a far worse ranking. I don't get it

It's just annoying because once my SR dropped below a certain level last season I got paired with such terrible teams that it made it impossible to get out of the slumps. And the game placed me at the bottom of that slump starting off now. Fuck!!

Hi everyone first time posting here, sometimes when I select the "I need healing" function as a healer they'll say "Come here and I will heal you" as mercy and "The path to healing is here" as zenyatta. How do I make this consistently happen? I tried googling but came up with no results.

Hi everyone first time posting here, sometimes when I select the "I need healing" function as a healer they'll say "Come here and I will heal you" as mercy and "The path to healing is here" as zenyatta. How do I make this consistently happen? I tried googling but came up with no results.

If you're looking at an ally when you press the "need healing" button they'll say this.

Fancolors

I think it happens when you are directly looking at another ally.

The "Understood" becomes "Defend/Attack Objective" when looking directly at it or "I'm with you" doing the same but to a teammate.

e: beaten

another edit: it's not understood that gives "i'm with you", it's group up

Prelude.

It blows, I had games with 50+ assists, gold healing, gold objective time. I'm much better at the game than when I did my placements last season, played better, and got a far worse ranking. I don't get it

It's just annoying because once my SR dropped below a certain level last season I got paired with such terrible teams that it made it impossible to get out of the slumps. And the game placed me at the bottom of that slump starting off now. Fuck!!
Something something elo hell doesn't exist, you should carry at that rank, if you git gud you'll go up.

But anyway, if their new system works there should be less people placed too high, so you shouldn't run into people that clearly shouldn't be in that rank playing with you.

Went 7wims-3losses. Got placed in 1939. Lul
S2 final rank?

caesar

Banned
From the first game? If you're on a streak it gives you more points, that's how I got from 2900 to 2600 in just a few matches, it went from 20ish points to 50.

I've never looked at the graph, lul.

From the first game, I havent won more than 2 in a row because the game hates me.

Sullichin

Something something elo hell doesn't exist, you should carry at that rank, if you git gud you'll go up.

But anyway, if their new system works there should be less people placed too high, so you shouldn't run into people that clearly shouldn't be in that rank playing with you.
I don't really care about the number I just want to play with teams that give a shit. Hopefully it's better this season. Letting my rank slide at the end of S2 was a bad idea, guess i should have quit when it dropped under 2k lol

So far I'm 4-0 in placement matches and was feeling pretty optimistic about my eventual SR but now I'm less optimistic reading the accounts here. Last season was my first; I went 2-8 in placement and started at 1380-something, got up to 2260ish, but then after a losing streak dropped to 1960ish at which point I didn't think it was worth it to try for platinum with so little time left so I stopped.

Then there's the fact that I've mostly been playing Zenyatta in my placement matches. I've done well with him, but supports really don't rank as well as other roles? That's not encouraging.

pizzacat

Banned
4-2-4

I had a hacker for 3 games in a row on the opposite team, and this was right after their ban wave, they didn't account for the people who heard about it in season 2 and waited till season 3 to start doing that.

Playing Ana more and more (since no one wants to heal really). And i love her.
Was doing around 4-5k with her on QP, now i can go to 13-14k. She is so much fun, other healers can only wish!

Im a new player but last night I got almost 20k healing in 1 match with Lucio

Anne

4-2-4

I had a hacker for 3 games in a row on the opposite team, and this was right after their ban wave, they didn't account for the people who heard about it in season 2 and waited till season 3 to start doing that.

The "ban wave" was really small. Most of it involved manual reports.

LordofPwn

did 8 placement matches last night 3-5. the 3 wins went quickly. i carried a match on hollywood as pharah. like i went healer to start, team didnt want to help, switched a couple more times and then finally went pharah, took the first point and kept killing the other team, went like 23-0 as her. was nuts.
anyways i went to go check Oversumo and my stats didnt update, in fact what i played the day before also was not on there. anyone else having problems with stat trackers? Im on PS4.

Sullichin

did 8 placement matches last night 3-5. the 3 wins went quickly. i carried a match on hollywood as pharah. like i went healer to start, team didnt want to help, switched a couple more times and then finally went pharah, took the first point and kept killing the other team, went like 23-0 as her. was nuts.
anyways i went to go check Oversumo and my stats didnt update, in fact what i played the day before also was not on there. anyone else having problems with stat trackers? Im on PS4.

Seems like on Overbuff at least, you have to quit out of the game before refreshing your stats or it won't pull in the new stuff.

Prelude.

From the first game, I havent won more than 2 in a row because the game hates me.
So here's why:
As a result, we’re testing a different way of determining your starting SR for Season 3 on the PTR. We’re leaning more towards trying to keep things fair rather than giving everyone a fresh start. We’re also going to initially tune your SR to be slightly lower to start. In turn, fewer players should start the season having their Skill Rating drastically drop despite having close to even wins and losses.

This change will mean that some players will not start in the same tier for Season 3 that they were placed in for Season 2, and that your SR gains from winning will be a little higher at the beginning of the season. After you play enough matches, however, your SR gains and losses will go back to normal.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20749698219

Started the placement matches with Mei and actually received a message of thanks after the second match because I blocked the opposite team at their spawn while we were taking the second objective on Hanamura.

Feels good ! The only messages I got before were to say I suck and should quit the game !

MUnited83

For you.

S2 final rank?

Around 2050. Was constantly hovering 2400 then in the last few days went on a freefall. Feels weird they didn't match 2050 at least, 7-3 where I basically was MVP in every game deserves a bit more than this.

LifEndz

Finally got enough coins to purchase one of the gold tier skins for Pharah. Now I just need to pick between Thunderbird and Mechaqueen. Both look so damn cool!

Edit: I'm down for some placement matches later if anyone wants. I just got the game on BF so this will be my first "season", but I'm level 28 and I think I'm about average. PSN Lifendz

LuffyZoro

I just did a placement match on Hanamura where we had 4 dps (including Junkrat) on defense. Of course, we lose immediately, and they start bitching at me as a healer and our one tank for not being good enough.

Anne

Finally got enough coins to purchase one of the gold tier skins for Pharah. Now I just need to pick between Thunderbird and Mechaqueen. Both look so damn cool!

Gold guns are universal to all skins of the same character. If you buy Pharah's golden weapon you can use it with any skin she has.

Skii

Just drew a placement match because the game froze for a good minute. We were the far better team, I was carrying with Soldier and I had ult too. I'm so fucking frustrated. Literally losing games because my team gets no kills and when I go DPS, my computer freezes so I can't even benefit from carrying.

I'm so ready for that silver placement.

ISOM

I just did a placement match on Hanamura where we had 4 dps (including Junkrat) on defense. Of course, we lose immediately, and they start bitching at me as a healer and our one tank for not being good enough.

I would have went off if DPS players complained to the healer and tank about not doing enough.

Edit: I'm down for some placement matches later if anyone wants. I just got the game on BF so this will be my first "season", but I'm level 28 and I think I'm about average. PSN Lifendz

Mechaqueen <3

Forgot I was helping a friend repair his DDR machine for his birthday so I didn't play or stream at all last night. Tonight I may get a few games in or just stay up late and do them all, but that sounds like a bad idea.

For reference, I calibrated at 2500 last season, peaked at 2678 and then ended up around 2450 by the end of it, at one point dropping as low as 2235. 2400-2500 was my sticking point for the last month.

Mind you I don't really have a "main" but if you look at my hours it would be Zarya. But I have 4-5 characters with at least a few hours of comp under their belt.

We'll see where I end up this calibration. Really hoping for 26/2700 but I'd be surprised if I get it since they said they lowered where you'll start out.

LordofPwn

Seems like on Overbuff at least, you have to quit out of the game before refreshing your stats or it won't pull in the new stuff.

but i went and played FFXV after both instances so i dont know how else i'm supposed to quit the game. on playoverwatch my profile is also not up to date, still has me as lvl 85 when i leveled twice last night to 87.

WhyMe6

Damn, this sucks. It's not an especially simple solution, of course, but I wish they'd find some way to fix it.

I haven't been on overwatch properly for a few weeks now since my baby came out, but I'm hoping to be able to squeeze in my placements somewhere, sometime. I'll be playing support though, most likely, unfortunately.

Top Bottom