• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

NeoRaider

Im a new player but last night I got almost 20k healing in 1 match with Lucio

That's really good! Lucio can heal a lot if your teammates are around you all the time, because he is healing all the heroes at the same time not 1 by 1. Other healers can't do that.

I was really bad with Ana, but honestly i played like... 1 hour with her, i just didn't like her for some reason. Now i can heal much more and i am becoming better. I am sure that i would be able to do 20k in longer match with Ana.

finalflame

Anyone who got placed plat/stayed plat last season done their placements for S3 yet on PC? I started S2 at 2750, got a high of 2821, and I think ended around 2650. But I also didn't play at all past the first half of the season. Wondering what to expect for S3 placements.

Sent a bunch of invites to people that posted their tags in the previous pages. Love the game but I'm starting to burn out on the solo queueing.

Paltheos

Anyone who got placed plat/stayed plat last season done their placements for S3 yet on PC? I started S2 at 2750, got a high of 2821, and I think ended around 2650. But I also didn't play at all past the first half of the season. Wondering what to expect for S3 placements.

Me, although I'm not sure my results are common.

Dunno what you guys are talking about. Like last season, I placed fairly lower than my final ranking (which is around where I usually played). In season 2 I was placed at ~2250, peaked short of ~2800, and finished at ~2550. This season I was placed at ~2350 and am anticipating climbing higher. I think the ranking is still busted and punishes healers. Ah well.

Nimby

Banned

I placed at ~2514, a high of 2724, and ended around 2490. I placed at 2492 this season.

Gurrry

I was thinking that a cool thing for Blizzard to do for the xmas event is give everyone a gift of 1 free skin of their choosing. Even if it was an event skin.

I got fucked on the haloween event when they ended it early and couldnt get my roadhog skin. It would be a really cool gesture to allow us to pick one this xmas to have.

xaosslug

These placements are a sham. Your win loss doesn't mean shit, its primarily based off of what you placed last season. Just met someone who placed 3700 and only won 1 of their placement matches. Welp...sucks for all those who tanked their SR on purpose at the end of the season lol.

G5vyS7j.gif

Skii

When your team is winning KOTH 2-0 and then one person who's healer has to be DPS and never switches causing us to lose.

Feelsbadman

finalflame

Me, although I'm not sure my results are common.

I placed at ~2514, a high of 2724, and ended around 2490. I placed at 2492 this season.

Neat, thanks guys. Seems like in general you will be placed a bit lower this season, which rings through with what Blizzard said. How many W/L did you go on your placements? I'm convinced they don't matter much and it's calibrating vs your internal MMR though, because even going 10/0 doesn't mean you'll get placed very high since there must be a "max" based on who the game is matching you with.

Basically just gotta git gud.

I'm mostly just worried about the people on their mics.. Lol

Communication is essential to success in CP, honestly don't think people without mics/unwilling to talk should be allowed into CP. But if someone is being shitty, just mute them :)

I'm not a fan of the Dva/Soldier buffs at all.

My girl D.Va back on the map <3

Skii

Placed rank 2300 and now down to 2260. Think I'm done with competitive. Fucking hell. I've literally done everything I can by playing heroes that the team needs but everyone just doesn't give a shit. They constantly throw ults or just throw games with their picks.

I dont know how many times I can Earthshatter and not have a single person on my team follow up.

ISOM

Placed rank 2300 and now down to 2260. Think I'm done with competitive. Fucking hell. I've literally done everything I can by playing heroes that the team needs but everyone just doesn't give a shit. They constantly throw ults or just throw games with their picks.

I dont know how many times I can Earthshatter and not have a single person on my team follow up.

Why don't you group up with gaffers?

ohkay

I wouldn't play Rein at a level where people won't effectively use your shield if you're looking to rank up

Skii

Why don't you group up with gaffers?

I only have a few gaffers and none of them are on. Plus, the people I usually play with are high platinum/diamond level so I might be out of range.

I wouldn't play Rein at a level where people won't effectively use your shield if you're looking to rank up

It's really annoying. I've actually practiced and successfully win the Rein battle now but not a single one of my team mates try to capitalise. Every time I get a pick with a charge, no one goes "oh shit, lets all push up now and attack with all this space Rein has created". Instead, they sit at the choke still spamming.

I think I'm just going to instalock DPS and change during the match. No point me even trying to play what the team needs when the team has absolutely no idea what you're even supposed to do. At least that way I make sure I'll kill the Mercy before the res or the Ana before the nanoboost.

I only have a few gaffers and none of them are on. Plus, the people I usually play with are high platinum/diamond level so I might be out of range.

It's really annoying. I've actually practiced and successfully win the Rein battle now but not a single one of my team mates try to capitalise. Every time I get a pick with a charge, no one goes "oh shit, lets all push up now and attack with all this space Rein has created". Instead, they sit at the choke still spamming.

I think I'm just going to instalock DPS and change during the match. No point me even trying to play what the team needs when the team has absolutely no idea what you're even supposed to do. At least that way I make sure I'll kill the Mercy before the res or the Ana before the nanoboost.
Do you play on PS4? I am around that rank if you want to group up. PSN:ElzaWalker

Do you play on PS4? I am around that rank if you want to group up. PSN:ElzaWalker

I'm a similar level (at least I was last season, only 4 placement matches done so far for S3) and I'm always happy to team up. PSN: PalaceBrother.

If you're not on the mic for every game I'd seriously recommend it. Even if I'm the only one talking I find that more often than not the team can coordinate.

Did 1 placement match just now, got fuckin rekt. 4 gold medals and I know for sure I did not play very well.

Gonna wait to group up for the rest.

Feel free to add me on ps4, PSN same as Gaf.

My first placement match went so well, I'm scared to do another one for fear of the other shoe dropping. I solo queued, was matched with one twosome who locked Rein and Lucio, so great. Everyone else picked sensibly, I picked Ana because I was nervous about playing DPS or tank. There was good teamwork and we won easily. The next match can only be worse.

finalflame

Placement during the beginning of the season is an absolute shitshow, as everyone wants to get their number. Many will get placed then immediately discouraged and drop the mode at least for a bit. The times and days you play really do matter. Try weekdays later at night (> 10pm) so most of the children who can't grasp the game yet still try to play can be asleep, and most "after dinner" casuals have gotten off.

LordofPwn

Placement during the beginning of the season is an absolute shitshow, as everyone wants to get their number. Many will get placed then immediately discouraged and drop the mode at least for a bit. The times and days you play really do matter. Try weekdays later at night (> 10pm) so most of the children who can't grasp the game yet still try to play can be asleep, and most "after dinner" casuals have gotten off.

there is truth in this, especially for solo queue. i also typically avoid weekends and holidays unless i can get a full group.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Truth is the "Meta" doesn't apply to most players. Unless you're trying to break into the Top 500 or something, the "Meta" likely doesn't apply to you.

So just find yourself 4 or 5 characters you can get good with, and pick between those based on your current team composition.

Seconded, at least one from each category of hero preferably

Okay - thanks for the advice.

I picked up D. Va yesterday for a bit, probably my favourite so far.

I started with Mercy, then Soldier76 (which I still really like), Bastion, which I seem to be terrible with, Pharah who is very powerful I find, but I find her mobility a bit restrictive, Reinhardt, I really like but only if the team is smart and groups up behind the shield.

I've also taken a liking to Lucio, but again, only if the team knows to actually group up and protect him.

Those are the only characters I've played with so far.

My first placement match went so well, I'm scared to do another one for fear of the other shoe dropping. I solo queued, was matched with one twosome who locked Rein and Lucio, so great. Everyone else picked sensibly, I picked Ana because I was nervous about playing DPS or tank. There was good teamwork and we won easily. The next match can only be worse.

That's pretty much what happened to me.

Skii

I'm a similar level (at least I was last season, only 4 placement matches done so far for S3) and I'm always happy to team up. PSN: PalaceBrother.

If you're not on the mic for every game I'd seriously recommend it. Even if I'm the only one talking I find that more often than not the team can coordinate.

Sorry guys, PC.

I'd prefer to be back on PS4 because your team was never as self destructive as it can be on PC.

xaosslug

Communication is essential to success in CP, honestly don't think people without mics/unwilling to talk should be allowed into CP. But if someone is being shitty, just mute them :)

a mic isn't gonna magically make a bad player good, likewise no mic doesn't make a good player bad. If you've got a mic, go ahead and call out plays/enemy activity, do what you can.

ohkay

I've also taken a liking to Lucio, but again, only if the team knows to actually group up and protect him.
He's actually fairly self sufficient at protecting himself/others because of his boop and speed aura/boost, which can help people get away from danger. Also, if your team is badly positioned, try to find the best positioning for yourself relative to them

MG310

One tank (usually D.Va), one person left to pick. Already have Tracer/Reaper and/or Soldier? Sombra every time.

NeoRaider

Off topic question about battle.net...

Anyone else having this problem with Chrome when trying to open link like Nexus Challenge or Account Management or Support.. etc. directly from the battle.net app.

MPnRjoT.png

It's just blank page and sad tab in the corner. When i copy the link, close Chrome, open it again and paste the link Chrome is opening it just fine, but when i click directly from the battle.net app it won't work and it was fine before.

BTW. i changed my BattleTag, and now i am NeoRaider#21923. So i am not Raider1988 anymore.

finalflame

a mic isn't gonna magically make a bad player good, likewise no mic doesn't make a good player bad. If you've got a mic, go ahead and call out plays/enemy activity, do what you can.

Coordinating and working together as a team is a huge factor for success in OW. Lots of players are "bad" because they fail to coordinate and work together with the rest of the team. No communication or less communication works more often in higher tiered games because everyone just knows what to do and what to pay attention to, but across all skill levels communicating effectively and coordinating is often the key to success.

People that downplay the importance of communication in CP are probably part of the problem, tbh.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So now that I've done my placements, I'm wondering if will i still be matched into placement games? Because if so i might wait awhile. There were some truly bizarre players in ranked. Like, the opposing team spawn camped us in eichenwilde last night and then got rolled. Who the fuck spawn camps eichenwilde?

caesar

Banned
I'm struggling to see why you wouldn't use this comp pretty much every game.

S76, Rein, DVA, Roadhog, Lucio, Ana.

Impossible to kill anyone.

Top Bottom