• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Nimby

Banned
How many W/L did you go on your placements? I'm convinced they don't matter much and it's calibrating vs your internal MMR though, because even going 10/0 doesn't mean you'll get placed very high since there must be a "max" based on who the game is matching you with.

Basically just gotta git gud.

7w 3l

Yo GAF I'm down to play with anyone would like to play with a team of players lol

Only rank 19 so I can't do competitive play so I'm guess I'm still kinda new I mainly do QP and Arcade but still anyone wants to add me my battle net tag is

LazyTurtle#214278

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Sorry forgot to mention i'm on PC!

Nimby

Banned
I'm struggling to see why you wouldn't use this comp pretty much every game.

S76, Rein, DVA, Roadhog, Lucio, Ana.

Impossible to kill anyone.

Why would you pick that stupid comp? 4 DPS is where it's at!

Sombra + Genji + Pharah + S76 + Solo tank and support

Also it was on Volskaya. We lost. Wonder why?

At least I secured my plat tier where I'll be forever :)

You can add me ISOM#11747. I'm at close to 2800 though so we might be out of range for comp.

Are you west coast or east coast? I don't know when I'll do placements but do you mind if I add you to group up at some point? I finished 2800+ last season and always looking for more people to duo queue with. I primarily play during east coast prime time.

Doing placements on day one was a shit show last season and the weekend is always horrible so I was thinking of doing them next week sometime. If I have someone good to queue with, I might try tonight since placements don't seem to matter much this season.

xaosslug

Coordinating and working together as a team is a huge factor for success in OW. Lots of players are "bad" because they fail to coordinate and work together with the rest of the team. No communication or less communication works more often in higher tiered games because everyone just knows what to do and what to pay attention to, but across all skill levels communicating effectively and coordinating is often the key to success.

People that downplay the importance of communication in CP are probably part of the problem, tbh.

er, never said communication isn't important, but it doesn't make or break a game. And I certainly don't feel peeps w/o mic should be banned from ranked play. LOL

i mean you play w/ a mic, yet I always see you in here complaining about your matches/the game (you are the guy that uninstalled at one point, right?)... why isn't your magic mic helping you climb? Even if the rest of your team is silent do you call out enemy positions, warn team members and whatnot?

Also since im new to pc stuff what temp should i be getting when playing. I turned it on recently and i seem to get around 75-80 in matches

DevilDog

Also since im new to pc stuff what temp should i be getting when playing. I turned it on recently and i seem to get around 75-80 ingame

If something fucks up and your PC gets too hot, it wiill shut down automatically to avoid damage. If that doesn't happen you shouldn't really worry about temps.

hesido

I'm going 1 win / 1 lose, as in 1 win, 1 lose, 1 win, 1 lose, 1 win, 1 lose, and finally 1 win. The wins were almost effortless, except for the first.

It's as if it makes me play against the most ferocious childs of bitches every other time, because it probably wants me to play higher ranks every other match before it places me again with newbies.

edit:
OK.. Placed at 2229 with 5 wins 4 losses and 1 draw.

AbaFadi

Banned
Anyone know how supports are doing in placements? I've been seeing people saying they're getting screwed again

Supports are still getting screwed. I played in a group of 3 last night for placements. DPS main goes 4080, tank main (me) goes 3934, and support main goes 3840.

Sane_Man

Just had the first toxic chat in comp. Idiot roadhog kept running in to cap point without any support then kept blaming my Ana for not keeping him alive. Then started spamming 'Sieg Heil'. Prick.

Was with raijin and isom for placements yesterday and had a blast.

I just wish I didn't derp my rank last season with a tilted plummet

Placed 2480 last season. Had a high of 2640. Got placed 2300 this season

finalflame

er, never said communication isn't important, but it doesn't make or break a game. And I certainly don't feel peeps w/o mic should be banned from ranked play. LOL

i mean you play w/ a mic, yet I always see you in here complaining about your matches/the game (you are the guy that uninstalled at one point, right?)... why isn't your magic mic helping you climb? Even if the rest of your team is silent do you call out enemy positions, warn team members and whatnot?

Yup, I uninstalled at one point, but haven't been active in this thread for at least the last month, so I'm flattered you remember me.

The thing about mics is that just one person having them and communicating doesn't matter -- the entire, or at least the vast majority, of the team has to have them in order to properly coordinate and succeed. Proper communication amongst average to slightly above average (platinum?) players should absolutely make a huge difference, because oftentimes the issues I see is people pushing without waiting for the team or feeding after an initial wipe without ever regrouping for the rest of the match. If the majority of the team is not willing to coordinate and work together, call out enemies and plays, align ults, regroup, etc, it will be almost impossible to take the objective against a team who IS doing those things. Unless you have a DPS player with aim so godlike they can get the picks necessary to carry.

I think communication is partially about the communication itself and partially about the mindset it puts you in to be communicating and focused on the game. It kind of forces you to pay attention and adjust according to the current flow of the team, whereas a lot of people seem braindead when playing ("let me just jump into the fray as genji and get insta-killed over and over again).

Overwatch is a team game, and it's exponentially harder to play as a team without proper, instant communication. I think fighting against this by "lol I leave voice channel and refuse to listen/use a mic" is just antagonistic to the core dynamic of the game. Sure, no communication might work in a team of all well skilled players playing the heroes they are comfortable with with extremely good situational awareness and game sense, but honestly, how often do you encounter this with randoms in solo queue?

Dunno, just my $0.02.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Is there a site somewhere that lists which heroes are rock/paper/scissors to other heroes? I'm just getting into the game with some friends and I think it would help us understand how to play better.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I leave voice chat and comms on but sometimes i just can't be bothered by some people in rank.

Usually if people are generally ok dudes I'll start talking.

Communication can go a long way. Many times basic call outs on who's dead can change a person's plan. If you know the enemy mercy just died on your current push you go full hunting knowing there's no immediate res

finalflame

Communication can go a long way. Many times basic call outs on who's dead can change a person's plan. If you know the enemy mercy just died on your current push you go full hunting knowing there's no immediate res

Right. A highly skilled player with great game awareness would notice the Mercy's death on the killfeed, but on a team where players are less aware, the only way the entire team will know she died is probably if it gets called out via comms.

xaosslug

Yup, I uninstalled at one point, but haven't been active in this thread for at least the last month, so I'm flattered you remember me.

The thing about mics is that just one person having them and communicating doesn't matter -- the entire, or at least the vast majority, of the team has to have them in order to properly coordinate and succeed. Proper communication amongst average to slightly above average (platinum?) players should absolutely make a huge difference, because oftentimes the issues I see is people pushing without waiting for the team or feeding after an initial wipe without ever regrouping for the rest of the match. If the majority of the team is not willing to coordinate and work together, call out enemies and plays, align ults, regroup, etc, it will be almost impossible to take the objective against a team who IS doing those things. Unless you have a DPS player with aim so godlike they can get the picks necessary to carry.

I think communication is partially about the communication itself and partially about the mindset it puts you in to be communicating and focused on the game. It kind of forces you to pay attention and adjust according to the current flow of the team, whereas a lot of people seem braindead when playing ("let me just jump into the fray as genji and get insta-killed over and over again).

Overwatch is a team game, and it's exponentially harder to play as a team without proper, instant communication. I think fighting against this by "lol I leave voice channel and refuse to listen/use a mic" is just antagonistic to the core dynamic of the game. Sure, no communication might work in a team of all well skilled players playing the heroes they are comfortable with with extremely good situational awareness and game sense, but honestly, how often do you encounter this with randoms in solo queue?

Dunno, just my $0.02.

but forcing peeps to get on mic in order to play ranked won't do anything about their inherent lack of awareness/skill, imo. And a great majority will just play music over mic in order to rage against the machine, so to speak. LOL

Is there a site somewhere that lists which heroes are rock/paper/scissors to other heroes? I'm just getting into the game with some friends and I think it would help us understand how to play better.

Well the wikia would help but the best thing i know of is the "Oversumo" app which gives hero tips and when you click on a hero itll give you 2 tabs one which says "weak against" and the other "strong against"

It should be usefull to beginners.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Well the wikia would help but the best thing i know of is the "Oversumo" app which gives hero tips and when you click on a hero itll give you 2 tabs one which says "weak against" and the other "strong against"

It should be usefull to beginners.
Will look into both. Thanks!

komaruR

Also since im new to pc stuff what temp should i be getting when playing. I turned it on recently and i seem to get around 75-80 in matches

whats the cpu idle temp?
no sure but avg gpu temp when game is running usually be around 70-80s. I think the older gpu (pre-gtx 4xx or 5xx era i think) from amd and nvidia could go up to the 90s too.

finalflame

but forcing peeps to get on mic in order to play ranked won't do anything about their inherent lack of awareness/skill, imo. And a great majority will just play music over mic in order to rage against the machine, so to speak. LOL

Oh, yah, my suggestion to require people to use comms in competitive was kind of tongue-in- cheek and I can't see Blizzard ever doing that, as they aim to be casual friendly in all their competitive games, this won't be an exception.

But I do think with people who are at least moderately skilled and willing to work together comms helps greatly. Some of the best solo queue games I remember are the ones where the team communicated in response to my initial callout and we had a great time.

whats the cpu idle temp?
no sure but avg gpu temp when game is running usually be around 70-80s. I think the older gpu (pre-gtx 4xx or 5xx era i think) from amd and nvidia could go up to the 90s too.

Hmm not sure i dont know how to check that. I was only looking at the temp which shows up with the options setting in the game.

Paches

Went 4-6 in placements, placed in to Diamond (3170). Is part of your initial rank based on previous rank last season? Or am I not understanding something?

Prelude.

These people played in a 6 stack for all their placements.
8933k4sow.jpg
Now they can't play together anymore, lul.

It is over. 5 wins. 5 losses. Got an SR of 2445. Definitely an improvement from my placement matches of season 2 (had 2090), but maybe I was expecting a little more since I ended at 2648 last season (my all time high too).

Supports are still getting screwed. I played in a group of 3 last night for placements. DPS main goes 4080, tank main (me) goes 3934, and support main goes 3840.

Three games with Lucio after placements, 2W-1L.

Won 41 and 42 poitns with the victories, lost 26 with the loss.

For people playing attackers/tank, how does this compare?

Redmoon

These people played in a 6 stack for all their placements.

Now they can't play together anymore, lul.

Lol. Thats certainly...something. Were they all withing a 500 point gap from the lowest to highest player in s2? If so, it makes me think there is something wrong with how this season is working.

Top Bottom