• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

That just looks like someone who's got good tracking skills honestly.

If I was that good at tracking I wouldn't be a dva main, especially in a 76 meta. And with a 46% accuracy with Dva (99th percentile is only 34% QP, 41% comp)

Oh well. It's subtle but thats how people get away with it.

Ended up 6-2-2 in placement... and got 1734 SR. One loss was due to 3 teammates ragequitting after we couldn't cap the first point on Volskaya. I did mainly play support but man, that kind of stings. It's not the rank I care about so much, just the reward tier at the end of the season so I can pick up a golden gun.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean that's my conceit really is that if you want to use aimhacks why DVA?

Zarya is the better tank to use if you want to take advantage of aimbotting.

I won 2/10 placement matches... Feels bad.

I am at 1/7, and I honestly feel like part of my brain that played overwatch was fried. Out of those 7 I was in two teams that genuinely put up a good fight, but the other five was a complete clusterfuck that I have never seen in comp.

I am not a great, or even a good overwatch player by any means. Finished s2 in 2400. But I know "how" I should play. No ridiculously bad heroes (torb placing turrets repeatedly in completely obvious spots that get destroyed in seconds, bastion running around and transforming into turret mode in the middle of enemy fire..), I stay on the point, etc.. I often play Lucio and I am pretty sure I won more games than I lost with him. But those games were mostly complete madness. I very frequently ended with silver for kills as lucio. Gold for kills as Mei. I don't that that's supposed to happen!

The worse is, the only game I won, was exactly the same, but from the other side. They had no clue what they were doing and were never able to move the truck at all on the castle map, while we took it in less than a minute. So it felt like a victory without any honor, really.

Let's see how the last two games go.

Trickster

Placed at rank 2359 after getting 5-5 in placement matches, Actually think it's a bit higher than last season. Though i hardly played last season, think i played 3-4 competitive matches after placing.

Will probably aim for platinum before christmas, should be a decent challenge

Geneijin

I've got around 11 hours of gameplay and am Level 23. Should I join competitive play as soon as I get to level 25 or should I continue trying to get better first? I don't want to get owned during the placement matches and have to start off poorly ranked.
I prefer jumping into the fray (comp). It's a quicker way of learning what works and doesn't.

Redmoon

If I was that good at tracking I wouldn't be a dva main, especially in a 76 meta. And with a 46% accuracy with Dva (99th percentile is only 34% QP, 41% comp)

Oh well. It's subtle but thats how people get away with it.

Accuracy isnt a good indicator of cheating, since (if they were cheating) the cheats(some at least) are apparently built to keep it low.

They could also just be good. I had a 43% avg acc with D.va in comp for S2 for example(had 32 games with her).

Though the way they snap (seems to be like 3-4 snaps a second) is certainly unusual.

Antiwhippy

One of the funnier thing about this meta is how teams just won't let mekaless DVa die haha. Just keep CCing her to stagger spawns.

MUnited83

For you.
..never? Are you sure you didn't misinterpret what happened?

That's why i'm confused. She did a ult, I was in clear view of it , enough to be in kill range, used defense matrix, didn't get a single point of damage.
Then she ulted a top of the payload, and I got closer to it so I could test it out. No damage again. Really odd.

..never? Are you sure you didn't misinterpret what happened?

Also, I haven't been keeping up with the meta for the past month or so, is D.Va back in? She was my favorite in S1, pre-DM-nerf.

She is most certainly in. Basically counters reaper and soldiers in a tank comp.

finalflame

That's why i'm confused. She did a ult, I was in clear view of it , enough to be in kill range, used defense matrix, didn't get a single point of damage.
Then she ulted a top of the payload, and I got closer to it so I could test it out. No damage again. Really odd.

Weird! if you're on PC I'm happy to test in a custom game when I get home from work in a few.

She is most certainly in. Basically counters reaper and soldiers in a tank comp.

Awesome, I love playing her and tried some of her buffs out on PTR before they went live, felt real good with the increased shooting movement speed and additional health. Now just sad I got my golden gun for Zarya instead :p

Antiwhippy

I... kinda disagree? I mean it does a ton of damage but same can be said for it against every other tank. You can eat it with DM and her armour actually helps her mitigate the damage. Also she just fucks with any long range DPS in general, and she can get onto a hanzo waaaay easier than every other tank save a winston.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
So anybody have any suggestions for how to get my girlfriend have better aim? This is like her first game ever and well...she's doing the best she can. I've beeen playing since l was five so I'm not so sure I have the best advice for her.

finalflame

So anybody have any suggestions for how to get my girlfriend have better aim? This is like her first game ever and well...she's doing the best she can. I've beeen playing since l was five so I'm not so sure I have the best advice for her.

Console or PC? Regardless, the answer is to practice and do so mindfully. But based on the platform someone might have more detailed suggestions.

Edit: As an aside, I find it seems really hard for people who don't typically play videogames to aim well in games that require a certain level of precision, like OW and most FPS. I think a lot of the motor skills associated with gaming come from years and yeas of developed muscle memory, for those of us who have gamed since a young age. We've become very accustomed with our modes of input and using them kinda becomes second nature. As an example, I am a mediocre aimer on consoles where I have had way less practice, but probably somewhat above average with my aiming skills on PC.

DevilDog

I... kinda disagree? I mean it does a ton of damage but same can be said for it against every other tank. You can eat it with DM and her armour actually helps her mitigate the damage. Also she just fucks with any long range DPS in general, and she can get onto a hanzo waaaay easier than every other tank save a winston.

The thing with D.va is that she will lose 1v1 against Hanzo in her Mech form. If the Hanzo waits for the D.va to start firing he will hit the scatter arrow everytime.
If the Hanzo can aim (lel) headshots are easy to land.

Armor blocks 30 damage, out of 450. It's not really anything significant.

How is it easy to get onto hanzo? As soon as she starts firing she loses 420 health and if she is in his face, getting hit from a hanzo headshot is very easy.

That's weird, I always just see my hanzos spamming I need healing and then dying, leaving me alone with a terrifying D.Va
tumblr_oh5dpvvVqQ1qdykt6o1_1280.png

ISOM

Practice range with the moving bots help a bit. You might also want to tell her to practice against AI. Play around with sensitivity as well so that she is comfortable. Depending on if she's a wrist or arm aimer she may need to lower or raise her sensitivity.

Antiwhippy

The thing with D.va is that she will lose 1v1 against Hanzo in her Mech form. If the Hanzo waits for the D.va to start firing he will hit the scatter arrow everytime.

How is it easy to get onto hanzo? As soon as she starts firing she loses 420 health and if she is in his face, getting hit from a hanzo headshot is very easy.

Because you can DM while flying?

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
She's been playing AI bots. And she's been playing a mixture of PC & Console. I'm very surprised that she typically has done better on PC. I agree that a lot of it is muscle memory, and I think that's a huge problem with her. I just don't want her to get discouraged.

Ouch, guess my big drop last season hurt me in placements in this season. Went 5-4-1 and ended up getting ranked at 1806. That's not even enough combined with the previous two seasons to afford a gold weapon. And considering the quality of teammates I got in the 1900's last season, I can only imagine how amazing I'll be doing in the low 1800's. Ugh, why do I bother with competitive?

Antiwhippy

Ouch, guess my big drop last season hurt me in placements in this season. Went 5-4-1 and ended up getting ranked at 1806. That's not even enough combined with the previous two seasons to afford a gold weapon. And considering the quality of teammates I got in the 1900's last season, I can only imagine how amazing I'll be doing in the low 1800's. Ugh, why do I bother with competitive?

Everyone at gold and plat seems to drop a few levels below so maybe it won't be too bad.

And when you land in front of him, you'll get a scatter arrow to the face and then wait for another headshot to finish you off.

And soldier can theoratically do 400 dps by landing shots on her large critbox but right now she's the one keeping him in check if anything.

I think you're underestimating human error a lot, even for the pros. Theoratically every DPS should do massive damage to DVa's big critbox, and they do, but DM is honestly one of the best defensive mechanisms in the game. You get your scattershot eaten and GG.

xaosslug

finished placements, went 4-6, and got plat. 2767 running mostly Pharah. Last season I placed 2715 and did mostly D.Va.

i did it w/ my brother who ran mostly D.Va, but placed 2160ish gold (last season he placed 2100, and climbed up to 2300ish. This (his placement + climb) was all during the last week and a half of the season, tho). I would say he's about as good of a player as I am, so IDK how this game's system works? LOL

Antiwhippy

Does she? I thought their fix for her beam included now having armor reduce her beam damage correctly. She's not nearly the threat to DVA that she used to be.

I used to think that, but i think i was wrong about it. Just her increased healthpool playing trucks on my perception.

xaosslug

DM, boost into him (crashing into him) + melee, knocking him back, and as he's flying back shoot at him. RIP.

MUnited83

For you.

tell me about it. I'm playing very well and i'm basically always my team's MVP, but losing so many times because of terrible teammates.

AbaFadi

Banned
finished placements, went 4-6, and got plat. 2767 running mostly Pharah. Last season I placed 2715 and did mostly D.Va.

i did it w/ my brother who ran mostly D.Va, but placed 2160ish gold (last season he placed 2100, and climbed up to 2300ish. This (his placement + climb) was all during the last week and a half of the season, tho). I would say he's about as good of a player as I am, so IDK how this game's system works? LOL

Placements are useless. It basically just looks at your rank last season.

Veelk

Banned
I am reluctant about a D.Va nerf.

On one hand, 600 HP is kinda large....

but on the other hand, at 500, her meka felt like it was made out of tissue paper at times. She still goes down in the team concentrates fire which they'll do regardless because thats what they did before the buff. And I am really glad to finally see Zarya's bite it. And she's my favorite character, so I'm more biased than I'd normally be, admittedly.

The only world in which D.Va can survive with 500 health is the world where they finally nerf Zarya's energy charge the way they should. If Zarya is going to be utter monster when she's fully charged, I want the max energy charge she can get per bubble to be 30, maybe even 25. Make her work for that stupid amount of power. It's not like she's not survivable without it.

Top Bottom