• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Why are people telling me to switch to Mercy when I pick Ana with some consistency in placement matches? Like, before we've even started playing. Mercy is worse in every way except for her rez.

Prelude.

Lol. Thats certainly...something. Were they all withing a 500 point gap from the lowest to highest player in s2? If so, it makes me think there is something wrong with how this season is working.
They said it was pretty much the same as the previous rank, but the point they're making is that even though they've played against masters for all their placements they got "placed" in wildly different ranks. This is the video where it's from btw.

finalflame

Why are people telling me to switch to Mercy when I pick Ana with some consistency in placement matches? Like, before we've even started playing. Mercy is worse in every way except for her rez.

Because most Ana players can't aim for shit and aren't very effective. Not saying that's the case for you, but there you have it.

My best friend that I always partner up with doesn't want to play competitive with me this season, because he "actually wants to win and get a gold weapon"

I mean, I know I'm no grandmaster but... damn. That stings.

Sane_Man

For the Oni skin, is it possible for me to play on two accounts (one on PC and one on my laptop) against AI and just gotAFK and let the AI win for 15 games?

finalflame

My best friend that I always partner up with doesn't want to play competitive with me this season, because he "actually wants to win and get a gold weapon"

Eh. I have friends I know suck and I don't want to play CP with them; I mostly just avoid it, but at the same time I tell them for us to group in CP they're gonna need to learn to play more than just Junkrat.

One of the worst things I did for S1 was group with a 5-stack of people from work for my placements. Made me have to climb from 31 -> 59.

Happy to play QP with them any time, though.

Redmoon

They said it was pretty much the same as the previous rank, but the point they're making is that even though they've played against masters for all their placements they got "placed" in wildly different ranks. This is the video where it's from btw.

Makes sense now. I'd rather not have placements if its not re-calibrating a player to a new rank, which they can do, just we'd need more than 10 games, like 25/30, since it would require a fresh plate and therefore it would need more data to be accurate since the first 10 ish games would be the wild west in terms of skill difference, but would start to even out afterwords.

Also, I agree with his point on 6 stacks shouldnt be subject to the SR restriction.

These people played in a 6 stack for all their placements.

Now they can't play together anymore, lul.

RIP Zenny. Wonder why he was placed so lower than Ana, the other support.

I was Plat rank both seasons and got a gold weapon with the points. Not super hard to do if you maintain close to 50% WR and play 4-5 games a week.

Eh. I have friends I know suck and I don't want to play CP with them; I mostly just avoid it, but at the same time I tell them for us to group in CP they're gonna need to learn to play more than just Junkrat.

One of the worst things I did for S1 was group with a 5-stack of people from work for my placements. Made me have to climb from 31 -> 59.

Happy to play QP with them any time, though.

Yep. I add a handful of good comp players but if my friends request I play with them I just QP because hell no am I gonna try bossing my friends around when they just want to have fun.

I have fun by winning in ranked matches. By learning how to get better. Not by everyone going Genji.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Because most Ana players can't aim for shit and aren't very effective. Not saying that's the case for you, but there you have it.

I find that hard to believe. Even a bad ana should outheal an average zen just through biotic grenade and that healing hitbox is so stupid big it's more of a hindrance sometimes honestly.

Averaged like 11K healing last night.

I find that hard to believe. Even a bad ana should outheal an average zen just through biotic grenade and that healing hitbox is so stupid big it's more of a hindrance sometimes honestly.

A bad HEALING ana should outheal zen

Then you have bad ana's who think they're WM

Nimby

Banned
I find that hard to believe. Even a bad ana should outheal an average zen just through biotic grenade. Plus that healing hitbox is so stupid big it's more of a hindrance sometimes honestly.

I mean, you should never miss a D.Va or Roadhog. Which is what Ana should be focus healing anyway.

I have witnessed some absolutely horrible Ana play on ps4. There seem to be lots of bad ones on console.

Prolly much different on pc I imagine.

Drek

Well the wikia would help but the best thing i know of is the "Oversumo" app which gives hero tips and when you click on a hero itll give you 2 tabs one which says "weak against" and the other "strong against"

It should be usefull to beginners.
Thanks for Oversumo recommendation. Real eye opener for why I'm silver tier.

1. I though my aim sucked. Oversumo says I'm gold III or better with almost everyone on accuracy and critical accuracy. I fail to produce good damage because I waste my ultimate sand don't finish off kills. In short I pour good shots into persistently healed or shielded people because I'm a dumbass who doesn't use ammo situationally.

2. I'm not nearly as good with Rein as I thought. Gold tier Hog, strong silver D.Va, bronze Rein.

3. I really need to say fuck the meta when picking my support. High silver with Zen, bronze with Ana. Need to use Zen in CP and practice my Ana in QP.

I know it isn't perfect as a tool but so far competitive has shown me that I'm a deeply flawed player who gets the concept but fails to execute with any consistency and Oversumo is pointing out exactly that and where I'm failing. Ult waste, not enough damage production, and failing to finish people off.

Says I need to use Widowmaker more though because my QP record with her ranks platinum, so maybe it's all just me hunting for answers to my own suck. 😝

On the plus side, had a CP match this afternoon that was a loss but I only dropped 10 points, so Blizzard can't totally hate my 76 game.

Prelude.

Makes sense now. I'd rather not have placements if its not re-calibrating a player to a new rank, which they can do, just we'd need more than 10 games, like 25/30, since it would require a fresh plate and therefore it would need more data to be accurate since the first 10 ish games would be the wild west in terms of skill difference, but would start to even out afterwords.

Also, I agree with his point on 6 stacks shouldnt be subject to the SR restriction.
Just like they need like, what, 50 games to get into top 500, they should definitely increase the amount of placement games, as they are now they're basically a farce. It should take into account your previous rank just to calibrate it better, but if those 10 games are completely useless what's the point of making you think losing or winning matters?

Thanks. Makes sense. Guess I could just toggle between each account every so often to make sure I don't get kicked.
It's faster if you join the nexus challenge channel and play with 4 people at the lowest difficulty, you can get games done in 5 minutes by bruteforcing a lane. I'm not sure how long it'd take for the AI to win a game on its own. Sylvanas is currently on the free hero rotation and she's great for doing that since she can stun structures and minions with her basic attacks.

finalflame

Oh I strongly believe you're a good Ana player, but you have the bad Anas who go mostly offense, don't use their grenade when needed, and don't hit their healing shots very well. I agree she should be easy to play effectively with just a little bit of practice and awareness, though.

As an off healer, I never care if we have an Ana or a Zen. It's when we're in a 1-healer only situation that it gets me worried, and even then, I'd much prefer Ana over Zen. But if your team is trying to roll one healer you probably have bigger problems anyways.

AbaFadi

Banned
I have witnessed some absolutely horrible Ana play on ps4. There seem to be lots of bad ones on console.

Prolly much different on pc I imagine.

Ana isn't really as effective on console as she is on PC. I haven't seen too many good ana players at high ranks on ps4.

Antiwhippy

Oh I strongly believe you're a good Ana player, but you have the bad Anas who go mostly offense, don't use their grenade when needed, and don't hit their healing shots very well. I agree she should be easy to play effectively with just a little bit of practice and awareness, though.

As an off healer, I never care if we have an Ana or a Zen. It's when we're in a 1-healer only situation that it gets me worried, and even then, I'd much prefer Ana over Zen. But if your team is trying to roll one healer you probably have bigger problems anyways.

I don't really consider that playing a bad ana though, I consider that throwing because the team won't let you go DPS. :p

I kind of think that if you're actually trying to be serious about playing ana as a healer the basic healing is not where the difficulty comes in, because healing with her is not that hard. The difficulty comes from other things, like balancing healing and damage, and being able to hit those clutch sleep darts.

I feel like while her healing is super stupid good, I've won more fights by smart grenades and sleep dart usage more than just the raw healing alone.

I've got around 11 hours of gameplay and am Level 23. Should I join competitive play as soon as I get to level 25 or should I continue trying to get better first? I don't want to get owned during the placement matches and have to start off poorly ranked.

Skii

Down to rank 2100. This is easily the worst experience I've had with OW and I'm pretty much on the verge of quitting. Literally every game I lost wasnt even remotely close. We'd be camped in spawn for a lot of them, wouldn't cap first point or not even push to the first checkpoint. I'm getting blamed playing Ana/Rein/Zenyatta. I genuinely don't see how these losses are down to my performances either. I always admit when I play poorly but I can't really do anything when I'm trying to capitalise on a 6v5 only to see the rest of my team stuck around spawn trying to do chip damage a man up.

ELO hell definitely exists :(

ISOM

He's also doing better in placements (W/L wise) than IDDQD. Looking forward to watching hell unleash from the community if he places lower than what ID did.

Seagull placed 4344 while going 5-4-1 I think and not playing too great in some of them. Yeah, placements really don't matter that much, they are just really taking your rank from last season in to heavy consideration.

Blues1990

I've got around 11 hours of gameplay and am Level 23. Should I join competitive play as soon as I get to level 25 or should I continue trying to get better first? I don't want to get owned during the placement matches and have to start off poorly ranked.
Unless if you feel confident with playing one of each hero in the different groups (Offense, Defense, etc.), along with having two friends that can watch your back, I would highly recommend staying off Competitive otherwise. It becomes a big ball of stress when flying solo in competitive.

Seagull placed 4344 while going 5-4-1 I think and not playing too great in some of them. Yeah, placements really don't matter that much, they are just really taking your rank from last season in to heavy consideration.

That seems right, I think IDDQD is a better player atleast in hitscan than Seagull.

Basically placement matches are just 10 ranked matches from your prev rank.

BiggNife

Ugggggh why isn't there a brawl on PTR where I can just play Oasis

I don't understand why Arcade mode is gone on PTR. Competitive I get, but why Arcade? It seems really weird.

Prelude.

Ugggggh why isn't there a brawl on PTR where I can just play Oasis

I don't understand why Arcade mode is gone on PTR. Competitive I get, but why Arcade? It seems really weird.
What's the difference? QP only puts you on Oasis. Less modes in PTR is only a good thing since there aren't a lot of people playing.

Wait, I'm not sure what I'm looking at?

Target snapping

A lot of cheaters use inaccurate chars to make them look more legit. Like a full aimbot is easy to detect since it has autotrack. But just snapping to people and aiming manually afterwards can generally hide the aimbot to many people

Antiwhippy

Target snapping

A lot of cheaters use inaccurate chars to make them look more legit. Like a full aimbot is easy to detect since it has autotrack. But just snapping to people and aiming manually afterwards can generally hide the aimbot to many people

That just looks like someone who's got good tracking skills honestly.

LAM09

Went 7-3 in placements and I'm gold (finished last season on platinum). Really goes to show that your placement results don't mean much.

Unless if you feel confident with playing one of each hero in the different groups (Offense, Defense, etc.), along with having two friends that can watch your back, I would highly recommend staying off Competitive otherwise. It becomes a big ball of stress when flying solo in competitive.

do you need friends to play competitive? Does no one play that mode solo?

Top Bottom