• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

spiritfox

I'm video game media. Things get heated when it comes time to figuring out our top 5 every year. :D

image.php

Ive been 1v1 roadhogs as Ana recently and winning lol some players are so bad with their hooks and shots but it still makes me fool good taking out a 600hp tank.

Yar I am a Rein main, I do play Lucio on koth sometimes though in comp especiallly if there are a lot of randoms, let ndfp take a break from his destiny.

I'd enjoy playing as Lucio more if my wallriding didnt result in me getting awkwardly stuck on walls unable to get over them or skate on them. This is why I'm a Mercy main, press a button and fly.

Make up your mind man!

MG310

The solo queue gods took pity on me today. Up 200 points.

A few bad games. One guy lamenting "Why do you pick characters you can't even play" while asking someone off mic how Bastion's abilities work (he picked him both ways) and then closing out the match with "I just hate that I don't get to play D.Va"

There badly needs to be a report feature. Just lost a game because some shithead was playing Symettra on KotH doing literally nothing but placing teleporters in terrible spots and standing by them.

Greddleok

Oh shit is the new season starting? I need to get back into OW. Titanfall was a great distraction, but I'm getting a little bored of it now.

5-5 in placements...2026

200+sr below my end rank from season 2.

The climb begins.

Went 6 wins, 3 losses, 1 draw.

Last two matches were vs. Plats and we got stomped. One Ilios map the Pharah and Winston just dominated us.

The other loss was on Anubis due to attack Symmetra and Torbjorn that did nothing.

Felt good about the whole thing, and was hoping maybe 2300 / 2400 like last season, as I was playing way better.

2100. Time to get back to plat.

ISOM

People say that they want to play the heroes they want in quickplay but do people enjoy getting steamrolled and killed constantly just to flick some arrows or shots? Like at a certain point it's not fun to get run over even if you're playing what you want.

Magwik

Banned
People say that they want to play the heroes they want in quickplay but do people enjoy getting steamrolled and killed constantly just to flick some arrows or shots? Like at a certain point it's not fun to get run over even if you're playing what you want.
I'll never understand it either. Like I get it, you're BNET name is Genji and you are playing Genji, but good lord how is getting steamrolled a better alternative than picking another healer?

I'll never understand it either. Like I get it, you're BNET name is Genji and you are playing Genji, but good lord how is getting steamrolled a better alternative than picking another healer?

I shouldn't have to change, you should change.

Because I'm clearly doing the bulk of the work with my bronze medals for damage and elims.

:/

Musician

That was unexpected.. Ended season 2 at 2960 and after placements (8-2) was placed at 3140! Was so sure I was going down to at least 2500... Oh well! Ty based MMR.

Blues1990

5 wins, 5 loses. Got placed at 2275, a dip from my season high of 2548.

I'm scared of going into solo comp, as half of my placement matches involved players that self-sabotaged to lose the game on purpose.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
5 wins, 5 loses. Got placed at 2275, a dip from my season high of 2548.

I'm scared of going into solo comp, as half of my placement matches involved players that self-sabotaged to lose the game on purpose.

You still going?

I might be on in an hour.

One more buff and everyone will be asking me to switch to Torb, we can't possibly defend without a Torb.

Seagull picked Torb on his placements... you were right all along.

I also played Torb today on comp after you left, and we won!
the enemy team had 3 quitters

Yar I am a Rein main, I do play Lucio on koth sometimes though in comp especiallly if there are a lot of randoms, let ndfp take a break from his destiny.

Noooooooo

Antiwhippy

Weirdly high turnout rate for mei in the merry melee today, and in the most unexpected place: koth. I know she's really good in nepal, and I feel like she's pretty good for koth in general, but I'm guessing the DVa resurgence pushed her to the front?

Also not loving Faze trying to force triple tank. Triple tank might be more consistent but i feel like the best teams right now are the ones that play to their own strengths. Complexity wasn't running triple and ran sombra comps even. Shadowburn would have made more impact on genji than Dva.

Antiwhippy

Running into so many pharah mains who think it's a good idea to go against soldier.. :|

Like why are so many people playing pharah now that soldier is buffed to ridiculousness.

Anne

Weirdly high turnout rate for mei in the merry melee today, and in the most unexpected place: koth. I know she's really good in nepal, and I feel like she's pretty good for koth in general, but I'm guessing the DVa resurgence pushed her to the front?

Also not loving Faze trying to force triple tank. Triple tank might be more consistent but i feel like the best teams right now are the ones that play to their own strengths. Complexity wasn't running triple and ran sombra comps even. Shadowburn would have made more impact on genji than Dva.

I feel like right now it's a race to either become the next Misfits or become the next Korean team. You either have to develop a highly specialized team and have the player skill to back it up that also plays around meta stuff, or you have to figure out how to be effective with the trip tank set up that came out of Korea/China.

Tbh I actually don't think many western teams play in a style that makes it easy to transition into that trip tank team. Most western teams rely heavily on star DPS players and don't focus as heavily on the positioning and map control as Korea/China.

I think Envy got really lucky in the sense that their star DPS player was prepared to become a star Roadhog player from months ago. They also are the western team that most focuses on cohesive map control in the west too. Makes sense once they grabbed Mickie and scrimmed in Korea they'd be able to pull it off.

FaZe has always been a hot/cold team in terms of coordination and playing maps "correctly". Makes sense they'd struggle with it. The Surefour + Mendo show have the heroes going on, but not the set ups. They usually just kinda go into playmaking mode. Fnatic can't communicate to save their lives right now and you see their trip tank team fall apart.

At least Misfits know they can't play like this and just full on committed to what they were doing. It's the best bet to find a solution and at least contend in tournaments rather than being a poor copycat.

Tbf though, I do think it's smart for teams to commit to learning this in smaller tournaments now before Vegas rolls around. Like the teams that aren't pulling it off now are hopefully realizing where they are going wrong and just working on it. Monthly Melee is like the perfect "small but reasonably competitive" type event to do this in.

I don't give a shit about gotys but I need OW to win this year just so we can get more meltdowns about how a mp only game can't be goty because *reasons from my ass*

Hmmm, I should really finish my placements tonight. Got trolled hard last time, hopefully it'll be good tonight on PS4.

Ended up at 3001 SR for season 2, kinda wondering where I'll end up based on all these odd placement stories I've been hearing

Prelude.

Jesus christ that Harambe joke from Kaplan.

Running into so many pharah mains who think it's a good idea to go against soldier.. :|

Like why are so many people playing pharah now that soldier is buffed to ridiculousness.
She's always viable unless you get god tier mccree/soldiers, just keep your distance and don't peek too often from the same spot.

Antiwhippy

Mccree I can understand, but soldier is honestly way more forgiving and still shreds her even from someone who is good but not great.

Also holy shit, experienced a minor miracle. I had a mini power outage when we were 2-0 on that egypt map, got back after 5-7 mins, and it seems like the score is 2-2 with us having 2mins on the board and they got 5 mins. Went soldier hoping for the best, we made it 4-2, and then we held them at the last point for 5 mins.

Quit for the night because honestly, I'm pretty sure that's all of my luck used there.

AbaFadi

Banned
Hmmm, I should really finish my placements tonight. Got trolled hard last time, hopefully it'll be good tonight on PS4.

Ended up at 3001 SR for season 2, kinda wondering where I'll end up based on all these odd placement stories I've been hearing

Probably within 100 SR from where you finished last season.

Prelude.

Mccree I can understand, but soldier is honestly way more forgiving and still shreds her even from someone who is good but not great.
Not if you put a decent distance between you and them, it takes quite a while to take her down and if you have competent healers you can take your time in the air.

Anne

I mean, Pharah can go for those crazy ass early dives on maps like Kings Row and stuff. She's better at that now. If she fails that though she just gets murdered into the next century though lol

Not if you put a decent distance between you and them, it takes quite a while to take her down and if you have competent healers you can take your time in the air.

At higher levels this is the opposite. The closer Pharah is to you the better off she is.

Prelude.

At higher levels this is the opposite. The closer Pharah is to you the better off she is.
Even at lower levels, ideally. When I have a decent team I can shred people in koth at short range while being on the point or very near it because the healers are good, the tanks are doing their job, etc. but I can't always play like that when I'm basically on my own and I have to rely exclusively on health packs or the rest of the team is all spread out. If I can't focus on dealing damage it takes just a second of distraction to get shot down by a soldier nearby, so I play more conservatively.

I'm really glad I decided to stop doing comp once I was above 2500. It sounds like finishing spot is more important than your placement matches this time around, and I'm really shooting to be placed in Platinum this time around so I don't stress myself out trying to break out of Gold again.

Placed rank 2300 and now down to 2260. Think I'm done with competitive. Fucking hell. I've literally done everything I can by playing heroes that the team needs but everyone just doesn't give a shit. They constantly throw ults or just throw games with their picks.

I dont know how many times I can Earthshatter and not have a single person on my team follow up.
Stop playing solo.

xaosslug

i just realized you can record entire matches on PS4 (up to 60mins)...! I wish I knew that yesterday. I had the most hilarious match w/ a group + my brother as Mercy on Hanamura, just flying around healing peeps w/o the enemy team paying her no mind. If we had known we would have put the Yakety Sax over his POV and uploaded... especially when we switched over to defense. Those last couple of mins... xD

komaruR

i just realized you can record entire matches on PS4 (up to 60mins)...! I wish I knew that yesterday. I had the most hilarious match w/ a group + my brother as Mercy on Hanamura, just flying around healing peeps w/o the enemy team paying her no mind. If we had known we would have put the Yakety Sax over his POV and uploaded... especially when we switched over to defense. Those last couple of mins... xD

if that a ps4 pro thing? i havent touch the share button on my ps4pro but lately i didnt have time to play

Top Bottom