• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Plesiades

Can't believe Jeff really made a Harambe joke, lmao.

You should read this rant from his EQ days. It's really something.
Fix your goddamn buggy bullshit half-assed encounters. The amount of time we dedicated to get our keys to see this guy die and take a turn at the Emperor is just sick. To finally see Blood die only to have the ENTIRE raid DT'd from anywhere in the room was simply an insult. Blood dies, there are two earrings on the corpse, yet no matter where you are in the room, the Emperor DT's. So congrats rot on those. It's cheap enough to make a mob DT in the first place. But to have his agro radius extend to the entire room is ridiculous. So let me get this straight -- and this is how you guys envisioned this in San Diego: You spend months farming keys to get up to the room. Months farming Shissar Bane weapons (and the recipe is where?). You kill Blood while dealing with 8 other snakes in the room. And immediately after that fight you're supposed to engage the DEATHTOUCHING-FROM-ANYWHERE-IN-THE-ROOM Emperor along with the 8 snakes? Whoever came up with this sheer *fisting* of an encounter can go fuck themselves. Do me a favor so I don't waste my guild's time on this kind of jackass shit-fest again, send me an email at tigole@legacyofsteel.net when you decide to A) Implement an encounter that wasn't designed by a retarded chimp chained to a cubicle B) Get a Quality Assuarance Department C) Actually beta test the fucking thing and D) Patch it live. And please for god's sake -- do it in the order I laid out for you. Don't worry, I won't charge you a consulting fee on that one. And for good luck you might as well E) Pull your heads out of your asses. While you're at it rename the game to BetaQuest since you've used up you're alotted false advertising karma on the Bazaar and user interface scam of '01.

Fix the Emperor encounter. Fix Seru. Rethink your time-sink bullshit. Fix all the buggy motherfucking ring encounters (I suggest you let whoever made the Burrower one do this since that dude apparently laid off the crack the rest of you were smoking). Fix the VT key quest. Fix VT (just guessing it's fucked up considering your track record). Don't have the resources to fix this stuff? Move the ENTIRE Planes of Power team over to fixing Shadows of Luclin AND DO IT NOW. If you don't fix Luclin, you jackassess will be the only ones playing the Planes of Power.

You should read this rant from his EQ days. It's really something.

The funny thing is that I'm half inclined to take this rant, change a few nouns here and there, and apply it to one of several aspects in WoW, today (for example, the current Archeology quests in Legion).

Overwatch is handled better though but ugh that fucking Harambe joke...

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
People that leave elimination games mid game need to be server banned for 10 minutes. It is so redixulous how many games I would have won if it would have completed instead of kicked back to the menu. <supermad>

Fancolors

Man.. the salt in that Overwatch GOTY thread. Holy cow.
I usually don't follow these awards, but I still haven't found a single good reason to care for who won it. The average consumer doesn't care and it only means a group of critics liked OW better than other candidates.

Given some reactions you would think the entire industry is crashing because Overwatch.

Cappa

Banned
So ps4 here. Normally I would play in European region since I live in spain but now playing in the US for this past week or so because I'm visiting my parents in the US.

The biggest difference between the two regions is more people use mic in the US but Jesus Christ are there some toxic toxic players in the US. I have never experienced the type of garbage I've experienced playing in the US. I had a guy who completely went nuts on me because supposedly messed up his ult. Others on the team defended me and he started to insult everyone else too lol.

Now hes messaging me and wants to 1 v 1 lol ita really sad that people like that can ruin such a fun game that the whole point is to play cooperatively

Fancolors

The server crash is only happening to coL. And it isn't Mei ult + Lucio ult

Complexity is straight up cursed it this happens again and at MLG Vegas.

Also, IEM was announced. It will happen on the same weekend and will feature Europe and Korea. I hope Miro's D.va training pays off.

Sigh. First 3 placement matches were great, won them all. Next 5 were all terrible. Always someone who makes a bone-headed pick AND plays super poorly (usually a Tracer or Sombra).

rulerk1

Why do people never pick the heroes they are good at in comp?

on another note I have become that autolocking Widow player. I hate how popular she is now

matmanx1

I finally had some time to sit down and do a few placement matches last night. 3 out of the 4 games I had nice, pleasant, communicative teams and ended up with wins. The 4th game was still close but fell apart at the end when someone started complaining about other people's hero picks. Oh well, you can't win them all.

I would like to take a moment and recommend a good pair of open air/ open back headphones (open air headphones have a much larger soundstage) for Overwatch play. With Dolby Atmos (located in the options menu) on the difference in audio cues and knowing where things are coming from is pretty huge. I recently acquired a pair of Sony open air headphones and using them with Overwatch has instantly improved my performance and reaction time because I am hearing that much more information about what is going on around me. And I'm coming from a 5.1 surround sound system so it wasn't like I had terrible audio to start with, it's just that the headphones with the Dolby Atmos enabled is that much better.

I completely understand why the Pros almost exclusively use headphones for gameplay. The difference is both amazing and awesome.

I ended up on 2200 (gold) after my placements. First time in comp. Is that decent?

Absolutely. You'll see a lot of people in here that are much higher levels but I sat in the 2200 range last season and had a great time.

I've got one placement match left; definitely interested to see where I land.

You guys have like 5 characters you play or less or more?

Quite a few of us can be a flex pick. Tbh it's good to have as many options.

For me it's the following:

Pharah
Dva
Reinhardt
Zarya
Lucio
Ana

Always have a dps tank and support as options at the bare minimum

NeoRaider

Won only 4 and lost 6 placement matches. Placed 1783!
My S2 highest was 2403, but finished S2 with 2204.

WTF is this mess?? 1783, really?

pizzacat

Banned
As someone who plays pharah they should just go all in on her, there's no one else in the game that Flys just give her the skies forever;_;

You guys have like 5 characters you play or less or more?

I try to play with all characters (at least in QP) - aside from Sombra my lowest played character is Bastion but I still have 3+ hours with him.

As for competitive I try to have at least 2 characters in each category I'm competent with. Basically I will play Soldier/Reaper/Tracer for Offense, Junkrat/Mei for Defense, D.Va/Zarya for Tank and Lucio/Zen for Support, although I can play as Pharah/Winston/Ana in a pinch.

But I never have mains in any competitive game so I'm used to knowing how to play a lot of characters.

Sane_Man

Absolutely. You'll see a lot of people in here that are much higher levels but I sat in the 2200 range last season and had a great time.

I've got one placement match left; definitely interested to see where I land.

Cool! Lost my first game post-placement but my team mates were nice enough. Started to get a bit toxic in the last few placement games.

Finished my placement matches, 5:5 w:l ratio. Just barely squeaked in Gold with 2074 I think. I feel okay about it considering I picked the game up over the free weekend.

Placements last season were too high, so Blizzard said that people should expect lower placements this time around. I think most people will a bit lower and be faced with a positive-feeling climb and not the drop many of us had last season.

MrPanic

Eh, the lose streak is hot right now losing 50sr per match, guess I'll have to take a mandatory break. Where are all the the positive and nice people that were around during the placement matches, it seems like I'm right back in the pool of salty people I was in last season.

Plesiades

Don't quote me on this but I think it's because melee has rectangular hitboxes so if you hit at an angle you get more reach. Same thing with Rein's hammer, if you hit, for example, on the left or the right of a character, your range increases.

So you're getting hit by one corner of the rectangle... it's kinda dumb.

Sane_Man

So if I stay in gold (pretty sure I won't be able to climb out, but you never know I guess), I'll get 400 comp points. So i'll need to win 260 games to be able to afford a gold weapon? If have that right, then no way is that going to happen!

Chance

So if I stay in gold (pretty sure I won't be able to climb out, but you never know I guess), I'll get 400 comp points. So i'll need to win 260 games to be able to afford a gold weapon? If have that right, then no way is that going to happen!

Oh c'mon. That means you just have to play 520 games, if your w/l is 50/50.

That's all.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey

It's not hard to hit plat if you are above average at the game. Just takes persistence. If everything, enemy team and your team are the same in skill level, your play matters. If you outplay the competition, you'll climb, no doubt about it.

Golden weapons aren't supposed to be a thing people get super frequently - I have one gold weapon and it took me two seasons to get it. It's possible to just grind out wins every season if you reaaallllly have the time but I feel like I played a decent amount last season and finished with ~100 wins. So I'm personally expecting to get a golden gun every two seasons and that's fine with me.

Sane_Man

Golden weapons aren't supposed to be a thing people get super frequently - I have one gold weapon and it took me two seasons to get it. It's possible to just grind out wins every season if you reaaallllly have the time but I feel like I played a decent amount last season and finished with ~100 wins. So I'm personally expecting to get a golden gun every two seasons and that's fine with me.

Yeah you're right. I'm not really that bothered about golden weapons. There's a chance I might just stick with quick play anyway if comp gets too stressful. Really don't like getting abused by team mates! Especially when I don't think I'm playing that badly.

It really feels like healers get the short end of the stick in the game. I pick them 80% of the time due to nobody else being willing to, then get blamed when anyone dies and rarely get chosen as player of the game.

Ramirez

Services are $100 per session lol jk.

I actually wanted to make an alt account to play with people on here, but haven't had a lot of time to create another account due to final projects and final exams coming up soon. I'll try to make one over the winter break and play with people on here then.

Hey we played once and won all of our matches I think, I ain't payin' shit. ;P

Veelk

Banned
So are the halloween items ever going to become available again? I missed out on getting Reapers PotG and I want it.

Also, are they ever going to offer anything other than gold weapons? Because I don't care about any of those.

My season two highest was 2484. I placed and then didn't touch it at all until the final week in which I had a Sunday where I lost exactly 1million matches in a row for every reason people get frustrated with playing solo queue. I dipped under 2000 that day. The next day and the next were MUCH better but ended up at 2182 in the end.

Placement matches for this season I just went ahead and did right away and got 3 losses, 1draw, and 6 wins.
Pretty OK I thought.

I got placed at 1780 or something like that. I'd never been so low. I'm just trying to play who I'm good at and fit my team the best I can while counter picking the other team and switching characters if I need to. So far I've been winning and rising up but I just know the random quitters and flimsy confidence team's are our there ready to be queued up with me.

I was really really hoping the "stay with team" button would be available for this season. It would be a great thing to get out as soon as possible.

I try to test how communicative my team is by just saying simple hellos and thank yous before a match. If they act like they're playing a solo game my hope for us certainly drops &#128514;

Top Bottom