• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

meshwork

45P4MMl.jpg

Aw yiss. (PC EU)

I just did my placement matches with a fellow diamond friend and we went 8-2 with a 7-game win streak. Both losses on Eichenwalde as well. It's a map I actually enjoy playing, but there are so many people who have no idea how to play that map properly. We got 5 king of the hill maps and topped it off with Dorado, Numbani and King's Row to make it 10. It was absolute bliss not having to play a 30-minute long tie game on bloody Hanamura. Next time I play I'll probably get Volskaya 3 times in a row just to even the scales of no 2cp maps in my placements.

My goal this season was breaking into Master ranks, but apparently the game thinks I should be there already so now I'll just try and stay here.

zoukka

Got triggered by placement matches and my cycle from the previous season begins anew. Will probably get placed on bronze.

caesar

Banned
45P4MMl.jpg

Aw yiss. (PC EU)

I just did my placement matches with a fellow diamond friend and we went 8-2 with a 7-game win streak. Both losses on Eichenwalde as well. It's a map I actually enjoy playing, but there are so many people who have no idea how to play that map properly. We got 5 king of the hill maps and topped it off with Dorado, Numbani and King's Row to make it 10. It was absolute bliss not having to play a 30-minute long tie game on bloody Hanamura. Next time I play I'll probably get Volskaya 3 times in a row just to even the scales of no 2cp maps in my placements.

My goal this season was breaking into Master ranks, but apparently the game thinks I should be there already so now I'll just try and stay here.

How did you manage to place that high? Is it because you have a fairly low number of games played last season? The placement system is wayyy more unflexible this season with most people placing within 100 pts of their s2 final rating. Anyways congrats, currently 3.2k so will hopefully join you soon. :p

pizzacat

Banned
Went up 200 points yesterday, going y 200 points today to diamond and I won't stop till I reach it.

And I feel like a scumbag going straight to soldier or dva since IMO they're too strong right now but gotta pick a a top tier fam

28239.jpg

Pharah will see the skies once again

I actually play her as 2nd round closer lol

meshwork

How did you manage to place that high? Is it because you have a fairly low number of games played last season? The placement system is wayyy more unflexible this season with most people placing within 100 pts of their s2 final rating. Anyways congrats, currently 3.2k so will hopefully join you soon. :p

I had around 100 games played last season. I ended the season on a win streak and within a few placement matches the system was matching us against people who were ranked master in season 2 (even one dude who was 4k+ but queueing with lower ranked players). And then we just kept winning games against those people. I do agree though, gaining 400 SR during placement matches is pretty nutty. My friend also played about 100 matches in season 2 and was placed at 3604 with a final rank of 3280 from last season.

Skii

Just remembered I got blamed yesterday for us losing a round on Gibraltar. Being the only gold player on the team obviously means I'm at complete fault for any shortcomings the team has.

I think we had held the first checkpoint until the final 40 seconds but everyone decided that it would be best to take high ground on Gibraltar... I thought it was common knowledge that it's a terrible place to set up. So I obviously stick with my team up there as you need everyone together whichever stupid place the majority want to set up. And we lose the final fight and lose the checkpoint in overtime. Then we get completely steamrolled. I was blamed for not sticking on the cart solo lol. Even though there was a Rein, Ana and I think Zen pushing it together whilst the rest of my team fought the rest of the enemy team on high ground. Like I'm obviously going to die immediately if I sit on cart by myself.

It was a case of my team getting really cocky because we had been holding so well that they thought they could push the enemy team even though they had stored ults and were just generally unlucky with their pushes.

Playing Rein is such a thankless task. You either aren't appreciated for what you do or your team will completely blame you for anything bad that happens.

Redmoon

Tried out the Oasis map on PTR.

I get like almost half the fps on that map versus all the others. Dropped to like 200 in fights where I usually sit around ~350+ in most fights. Both gpu's were below 60% load on all low graphics, so its not a graphic/gpu issue.

Wonder whats the cause here.

Redmoon

It's prolly the cars and the amount of people I kept on memeing with teleporter in the traffic haha

Maybe. Whats weird is doing a custom game with bots I got better fps, 250 ish in the fights. It also seems to take longer to load Oasis than the other KOTH maps.

AbaFadi

Banned
Looks like Evermore is gonna get 5K SR within the next few days. He's currently 4916.

So it is possible after all...

Wow, that's crazy. I don't think Blizzard handled ranking this season well at all. So many ranks are super inflated right now.

Redmoon

Wow, that's crazy. I don't think Blizzard handled ranking this season well at all. So many ranks are super inflated right now.

He ended last season at 4774. So he probably got placed around the same spot.

He's also played 32 games so far this season, and is currently 27 wins, tied 3, lost 2 (80% ish winrate) with 4953SR. Don't think that means he's inflated, since he has the same-ish winrate for Season 2.

Went up 200 points yesterday, going y 200 points today to diamond and I won't stop till I reach it.

And I feel like a scumbag going straight to soldier or dva since IMO they're too strong right now but gotta pick a a top tier fam

28239.jpg

Pharah will see the skies once again

I actually play her as 2nd round closer lol
Every placement game I've insta-locked D.Va I've won quite handily. I like to think it's not a cooincidence.

Redmoon

What changed that the meta suddenly favors hitscans like D.va and Soldier so much?

Soldier got a damage buff which makes him a good pick now. D.va got 100 more hp and moves twice as fast while shooting versus before, so she's got more damaging potential now, specifically when chasing enemies while shooting. Plus Zarya kinda got nerfed in a way (charge wise) and she is one of D.va's main counters, so its expected to see her rise.

Skii

What is so good about D-Va now then?

What changed that the meta suddenly favors hitscans like D.va and Soldier so much?

Dva has an extra 100HP and increased movement speed whilst shooting. She effectively has the most mobility, DPS and defensive range of any tank now. That's why she's so heavily picked. But those improvements have also made individual matchups almost solely in her favour. So now instead of Reaper being a counter to her, she counters Reaper. Zarya can't even melt her unless you have very high energy (I actually had a Dva solo chase me as Zarya at the start of a match because I had low charge and I couldn't do anything). She's pretty much amazing against everything except Mei and a high energy Zarya from what I can tell.

Soldier also got a buff in DPS which makes him the premium tank buster over Reaper now. He has better range than McCree so he can play high ground slightly better. His ultimate with this buff is just insane and with the nanoboost speed nerf, he's become the prime target for it.

Basically, Blizzard overbuffed those two and they have become the meta now because they are too good to not run. Maybe teams will get better at countering them as the season goes on, I dunno.

AbaFadi

Banned
He ended last season at 4774. So he probably got placed around the same spot.

He's also played 32 games so far this season, and is currently 27 wins, tied 3, lost 2 (80% ish winrate) with 4953SR. Don't think that means he's inflated, since he has the same-ish winrate for Season 2.

I mean it's just inflated for everyone in general. I look at my friends list on ps4 and a lot of people are almost 4000+. A lot of people who didn't even make grandmaster last season are now in the 4200 range.

Banzai

I lost my first 6 placement matches, that was disheartening. Ended with 3-7 and got placed at 2650.
I guess it's not too bad but after reading this season places you close to your s2 rank regardless of the placement matches I thought I'd be closer to my final rank from s2 which was 3006.

ISOM

I lost my first 6 placement matches, that was disheartening. Ended with 3-7 and got placed at 2650.
I guess it's not too bad but after reading this season places you close to your s2 rank regardless of the placement matches I thought I'd be closer to my final rank from s2 which was 3006.

It heavily takes your rank from last season into account but performance is also a factor as well even if smaller.

Redmoon

I mean it's just inflated for everyone in general. I look at my friends list on ps4 and a lot of people are almost 4000+. A lot of people who didn't even make grandmaster last season are now in the 4200 range.

Not surprising if alot of peoples ranks can get inflated this season. Blizz did say the SR gains would be higher for a bit after placements, then go back to normal. So you can probably climb alot even with sub 50% WR.

ZangBa

I think the worst situation is having an enemy Pharah go about uncontested with a Soldier on your team, and you can't switch because you're the only tank. I switched tanks and had to kill her myself by flying up there and harassing her. These Pharaoh's can't keep getting away with it. :<

I think the worst situation is having an enemy Pharah go about uncontested with a Soldier on your team, and you can't switch because you're the only tank. I switched tanks and had to kill her myself by flying up there and harassing her. These Pharaoh's can't keep getting away with it. :<

Yeah, that's the one theme I've seen in my competitive matches a lot: enemy Pharahs that go completely uncontested. Even played Soldier for the first time in a while just to try to deal with one, even though my aim is spotty at best. In most cases, however, the Pharah is the only one on the team who seems to know what they're doing, and we still manage to win even as rockets rain down from the sky.

caesar

Banned
I had around 100 games played last season. I ended the season on a win streak and within a few placement matches the system was matching us against people who were ranked master in season 2 (even one dude who was 4k+ but queueing with lower ranked players). And then we just kept winning games against those people. I do agree though, gaining 400 SR during placement matches is pretty nutty. My friend also played about 100 matches in season 2 and was placed at 3604 with a final rank of 3280 from last season.

Ah right, maybe I missed the boat then. My placements didn't go well and I went 3-7 but luckily I've managed to put a decent streak together since then. Let me know if you want to duo.

Just remembered I got blamed yesterday for us losing a round on Gibraltar. Being the only gold player on the team obviously means I'm at complete fault for any shortcomings the team has.

I think we had held the first checkpoint until the final 40 seconds but everyone decided that it would be best to take high ground on Gibraltar... I thought it was common knowledge that it's a terrible place to set up. So I obviously stick with my team up there as you need everyone together whichever stupid place the majority want to set up. And we lose the final fight and lose the checkpoint in overtime. Then we get completely steamrolled. I was blamed for not sticking on the cart solo lol. Even though there was a Rein, Ana and I think Zen pushing it together whilst the rest of my team fought the rest of the enemy team on high ground. Like I'm obviously going to die immediately if I sit on cart by myself.

It was a case of my team getting really cocky because we had been holding so well that they thought they could push the enemy team even though they had stored ults and were just generally unlucky with their pushes.

Playing Rein is such a thankless task. You either aren't appreciated for what you do or your team will completely blame you for anything bad that happens.

Yeah, that was a shitty game. Honestly I think you're Reinhardt is pretty good, you know when to hold shield up and when to go balls to wall. You saved a few games in overtime with clutch earthshatters. Didn't say at the time but I'm always aware of whats going on. ;p I was doing a lot of fragging but you have to be enabled in order to do it so gj with that. All in all you climbed about 200 pts so you can look at it as a successful session tbh.

Skii

Yeah, that was a shitty game. Honestly I think you're Reinhardt is pretty good, you know when to hold shield up and when to go balls to wall. You saved a few games in overtime with clutch earthshatters. Didn't say at the time but I'm always aware of whats going on. ;p I was doing a lot of fragging but you have to be enabled in order to do it so gj with that. All in all you climbed about 200 pts so you can look at it as a successful session tbh.

Yeah, we were gaining a lot for each win. I'll be on tonight at the same time if you wanna group up again. Want to play earlier but have an essay to do lol.

Plesiades

&#127876; C H R I S T M A S E V E N T &#127876;

It seems that some people at Facepunch datamined some Chistmas stuff...

• There are 4 new map files, so we might get a PvE one and up to 3 themed maps like Hollywood during Halloween.
  • Sprays, Voiceline, Victory Pose for Everyone.
  • New Skin, Emote or Intro for: Widowmaker, Reinhardt, Mercy, Symmetra, Reaper, Sombra, Roadhog, D.Va, Ana, Soldier: 76 and Lúcio.
  • These ones will have two of them: Winston, McCree, Mei, Pharah, Zarya, Tracer and Zenyatta.
  • Torbjorn will have all three.

Fancolors

• There are 4 new map files, so we might get a PvE one and up to 3 themed maps like Hollywood during Halloween.
  • New Skin, Emote or Intro for: Widowmaker, Reinhardt, Mercy, Symmetra, Reaper, Sombra, Roadhog, D.Va, Ana, Soldier: 76 and Lúcio.
  • These ones will have two of them: Winston, McCree, Mei, Pharah, Zarya, Tracer and Zenyatta.

• These ones will have two of them: Winston

I feel complete.

maouvin

Beautiful.

iosa

Went 9-1 for my placement games and placed at 2404. Won 4 games after that and I am now 2817 thanks to a 12 games winning streak. I'm 2 games away for diamond but I'm scared now.

KiraFA37

Again gifts for Mercy.

Ambient80

Did my placement matches. First time I've ever done competitive.

So I play Mercy and Zenyatta and Lucio in those matches. Each one I have crazy healing, decent damage, I got a rare achievement for all of their Ults in these ten matches, gold medals galore. My teams go 1-9, and I'm in Bronze.

Sadness overwhelms

Anne

I'm glad I didn't stay up for A{EX finals lol

On the discussion earlier I don't think Soldier is too good. Like he can be burst down, he can be dove, Widow is a good pick into him.

D.Va though, Idk about. She's pretty good rn.

Theorry

Guess i am the only one who doesnt like D-VA. I just dont like how she shoots and my feeling is that gun just tickles enemies.

Guess i am the only one who doesnt like D-VA. I just dont like how she shoots and my feeling is that gun just tickles enemies.
I love Dva, but as a tank. She's definitely the only character I play where I can consistently get gold or silver in both damage and kills, but I spend a lot of time with ger defense matrix up. I'm kind of annoyed that other tanks got needed to the point that Dva is the best option, only because now I have to worry about getting my favorite character needed I to oblivion.

Top Bottom