• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6.99999997311%| Game of the Year

Just had an intense comp match on dorado.

On defense, we were steamrolled to the end and barely held the payload. Super long overtime too.

On attack, we barely made each checkpoint and won at the end with a clutch ultimate from a 76 who barely did anything the whole game. Got a teamkill

So good.

edit: And Santorbjorn will be a thing. There's already old blizzard santa torb art out there.

Skyzard

Banned
Feels like there are so many people in competitive that just want to be carried to victory on the shoulders of hard working teammates. Sucks.

Skii

I think some people may have learned the wrong lessons from the DSPStanky videos. He was able to make that kind of Lucio work in a solo queue environment because his technical skill on the wall rides is so great that he can never die and the enemy is distracted by his harass. But if you look at his stats, his healing numbers are horrible (bottom 3%). If you can't pull off what he can, you're a detriment trying to play like he does.

I do think there is value in using a character's entire kit, and his gun and melee attacks are a part of it. There is definitely value in being aggressive with Lucio at times, but you have to remember that supporting your team is the number one thing you should be doing with him. Knowing when to healing, knowing when to speed boost, knowing when you boop enemies so you can save teammates (and not just boop off cliffs), these are the things lucios should be learning and doing.

I would be surprised if any of the top Lucio players had high healing. He really is mainly used for his speed and keeping it on that whilst your Ana does the majority of the healing is the most beneficial combo. That way she gets ult faster and your team has good speed for evading/catching.

Aggressive Lucio is pretty important. He needs to get a lot of shots in for his ult to build up now and he can definitely harass DPS off the other healer/low health team mate. That's how I feel you should play Lucio as. Only maybe use your healing if your other healer is dead or just amp up healing before going back to speed.

00000-640x634.jpg

So yeah, good chance this is our santa

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Torb obv has the Santa look but what I really wanted was a Sanyatta who gives out gifts to his allies and coal to his enemies.

DevilDog

Listening to the console community after the PS4 revelation one thing is for certain.

Overwatch 2 is going to be game of the year next year guys.

Like, the last of us 2 and the new uncharted have no chance.

Theorry

Dva has an extra 100HP and increased movement speed whilst shooting. She effectively has the most mobility, DPS and defensive range of any tank now. That's why she's so heavily picked. But those improvements have also made individual matchups almost solely in her favour. So now instead of Reaper being a counter to her, she counters Reaper. Zarya can't even melt her unless you have very high energy (I actually had a Dva solo chase me as Zarya at the start of a match because I had low charge and I couldn't do anything). She's pretty much amazing against everything except Mei and a high energy Zarya from what I can tell.

Soldier also got a buff in DPS which makes him the premium tank buster over Reaper now. He has better range than McCree so he can play high ground slightly better. His ultimate with this buff is just insane and with the nanoboost speed nerf, he's become the prime target for it.

Basically, Blizzard overbuffed those two and they have become the meta now because they are too good to not run. Maybe teams will get better at countering them as the season goes on, I dunno.

Yeah really noticed Soldier. Its pretty OP now. He just melts you from every range.

AngryMoth

Can't believe how clueless some people are. I'm telling our Hanzo and Junkrat as politely as possible of them should switch to Soldier since the enemy has a Phara who's going unchecked. Might as well be talking to myself, they stayed on those character the whole round and I can't play him myself cos we'd have no healer. Guess some people don't care about winning placements

I hate being around 2800. I was stuck there for the entirety of season 2 and placed right there for season 3 and it is just awful. People are fairly toxic and I am consistently put on teams that seem to have no idea what they are doing. Not just lack of coordination, but people playing characters like they have never played them before. It's so friggin' frustrating.

Can't believe how clueless some people are. I'm telling our Hanzo and Junkrat as politely as possible of them should switch to Soldier since the enemy has a Phara who's going unchecked. Might as well be talking to myself, they stayed on those character the whole round and I can't play him myself cos we'd have no healer. Guess some people don't care about winning placements

This is pretty common at least in the lower ranks like I'm in. Enemy team will have a Pharah that carpet bombs me, the solo healer, with impunity because our DPS is Genji, Hanzo, Junkrat, or Reaper. I wonder if it would be better to just go Soldier in those situations since I can't heal when I'm dead anyway.

This morning I had a moment like that video posted upthread where I was playing Ana and using my whole healing arsenal to keep our Roadhog above critical and he complained that I wasn't healing him and playing Ana as DPS. They really should call this "Lack of Self-Awareness: The Game".

Moonkeis

This is pretty common at least in the lower ranks like I'm in. Enemy team will have a Pharah that carpet bombs me, the solo healer, with impunity because our DPS is Genji, Hanzo, Junkrat, or Reaper. I wonder if it would be better to just go Soldier in those situations since I can't heal when I'm dead anyway.

This morning I had a moment like that video posted upthread where I was playing Ana and using my whole healing arsenal to keep our Roadhog above critical and he complained that I wasn't healing him and playing Ana as DPS. They really should call this "Lack of Self-Awareness: The Game".

That happens to me all too often "I didn't get any heals at all" at the end of the match, especially in situations where I'm the only healer. I just shake my head and leave for the next match.

Flipping heck game froze while searching for comp game and I then got disconnected. By the the time I was back in I'd apparently left a comp match and got a ban ffs, just when I got a couple of wins on the trot as well, just wanna get these placements done. What's weird is according to my stats I've only played 6 games and so the game I left hasn't been registered, but it says 7/10 placements done.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
4-6-1 in placements

4 of those losses, always down 1 person, Argh!
Now I'm @2502 SR, Gold Tier

Anyone got the payout for this season

ohkay

Ana is a good solution here. She's an excellent healer, though she requires some practice to use effectively, and can deal with Pharah

So after playing all of last season on PS4 comp with team chat turned off, I finally decide to turn it on today.... man I feel old lol

Everyone sounds like they're 8-18 o_O

Anyway, its a much more pleasant experience than I was expecting, and definitely brings the game to a whole new level.

On a loss though... people be mad yo!

Nimby

Banned
Had a pretty good Mercy game on Nepal last night. Too bad they nerfed her POTG so much that I didn't even get a highlight for a 4 man res. The only thing that shut me down that game was me flying into some random ass Junkrat grenade.

Mercy on KotH isn't as bad as people think. Yes, you have more opportunities to get jumped on, but in my experience you can jump around a lot easier around the point. It wasn't my go to pick though, we had someone who insisted on running Pharah the entire match so I thought it might help.

Most Pharah players fly in without me anyway, or don't realize I have to heal the rest of the team on the ground too.

Kysen

3-7 in placements and got placed 3394. Thank fuck for mmr, no way I could deal with having to climb from plat again.

Kysen

Symmetra and Mercy. You'd be surprised how many people believe it's viable. It's much more common too.
Actually the sym helps Mercy a lot. If you get ganked with res its much easier to just jump into a teleport and res than trying to run back.

Nimby

Banned
I'm struggling to think what is wrong with Mercy + Symmetra, unless the Mercy is getting caught out too much and the Sym is on anything other than 1st point defense (not PTR sym). Sym + Lucio/Zen would be worse.

Mercy is weak, but as solo support/main healer archetype she is fine. She is inferior to Ana, but not bad. Alot of what could be done to remedy Mercy is nerfing Ana. We live in an age where 1 support can actually keep a coordinated team alive (Ana). Most teams do need an off-healer like Lucio or Zen though.

Kenai

I am already disgusted with myself for how many boxes i will probably buy fishing for that Mei skin (plz be a Mei skin)

cyborg009

Banned
Got over 9k healing as ana for a career high with blues1990 and another gaffer i think. This was on King's Row were we got all 3 points but somehow they couldn't capture the first point.

Redmoon

I am already disgusted with myself for how many boxes i will probably buy fishing for that Mei skin (plz be a Mei skin)

If mei gets a winter themed skin, her ice block better be a snowman intead of an ice block :<

It probably wont

Veelk

Banned
I have just the biggest :| from my last two matches.

Both started off good. I thought both would be easy wins.

Then the other team was like "This isn't even my final form" and the slaughter began.

LIke, on was just incompetent to a degree I wouldn't believe at gold. Yeah, we don't need any offensive characters. 3 tanks, 2 heals, and a bastion is good enough! But the other one, our team comp was good enough. Our team was NOT. Like, at one point, I just through up my hands, because our zarya trapped them in grav warp, and I ran up to kill them as D.Va, because I didn't have my ult ready. Ana boosts me, and I am just firing and firing, but between their lucio healing and their Ana throwing down a nad, even boosted and the rest of my team presumably firing, I could do fucking NOTHING to them.

This game can just be fucking ruthless with you when it wants, holy shit.

Finished my season 3 placements, went 3-7, which didn't feel great.

What feels worse is my rating: 1578. Holy shit. It was low 2000s last season, which was a drop from the season before (I know, S1 ranks don't translate that well into S2 ratings but whatever). I was feeling better after winning two matches as Ana (thanks to YouTube tips to help me change up how I play her), but this makes me think I should uninstall the game.

I am seriously trapped in Flowers for Algernon. Next season I won't even know how to walk or aim properly and will spend all my placement matches staring at a wall in the spawn room. Fuck my life.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I finally won a 1v1 and got my loot box.

The other player quit before the game even started.

EDIT: Oh shit, actually won one for real and did that Widow mid-air snipe thing.

Top Bottom